• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ArsTechnica: Hackers unlock NES Classic, upload new games via USB cable

I had just decided to sell mine (the prices on eBay are too attractive not to), but this seems like a really interesting mod.

It might be worth it to install Earthbound Beginnings with the Easy Ring and play through that.

Yup.

And I get it; you could get a Pi and just go to town on it, but for some folks, having an official Nintendo product makes a WORLD of difference.

Might not be as "official" after you mod it, since it'll void your warranty, but I know what you're saying.

rekameohs

Banned
Might as well stick a Raspberry Pi in an NES Mini case at that point since it could play waaaay more than NES games.

The emulator is inferior to FCEumm and Nestopia. If you can hack it, you can run a way better emu. This is just odd. I guess the UI is nice and official controller support is nice.

Aeana

I had just decided to sell mine (the prices on eBay are too attractive not to), but this seems like a really interesting mod.

It might be worth it to install Earthbound Beginnings with the Easy Ring and play through that.

I believe the easy ring is exclusive to the GBA retranslation patch. There is the 25th anniversary edition patch for the NES version which adjusts the exp gain/encounter rate, but it isn't an equippable item. That version also redraws the sprites and changes some area designs so I'm not super fond of it, but a lot of people think it's the best version of the game.

There's also input lag apparently. I say apparently because there's conflicting impressions.

My understanding is that every emulator in existence has input lag. Eliminating it is literally impossible due to the nature of emulation. I haven't heard the input lag on the NES Mini being particularly bad or anything (compared to other good emulators). Some gamers are purists and always favor original hardware over any emulator, because it's the only way to get zero input latency. But for most folks it's not a deal breaker.

My understanding is that every emulator in existence has input lag. Eliminating it is literally impossible due to the nature of emulation. I haven't heard the input lag on the NES Mini being particularly bad or anything (compared to other good emulators). Some gamers are purists and always favor original hardware over any emulator, because it's the only way to get zero input latency. But for most folks it's not a deal breaker.

I know that personally I can't really notice the lags on mine, but yeah it doesn't mean there aren't a lot of purists who can notice that all too much.

Fularu

Banned
You're limited to 60 games due to UI limitations, apparently. I don't know how much space it has, but I assume it has plenty more than it uses due to the consideration of things like save states.

The Nes Mini has 512 MB of onboard memory. A good portion of it is taken by the OS so I would guess not that much space left.

Still enough if they break the UI limit to put almost every NES game (discounting dupes and unplayable games like Zapper ones or spcial peripheral ones)

Anyone who can be bothered to hack/mod already has the option of just running an emulator on a raspberry pi without any of the drawbacks

s-l1600.jpg

But that's not a tiny Nintendo.

The only reason this thing exists in the first place (when emulation is so easy) is because it's a tiny Nintendo. Tiny Nintendo is awesome! Just saying the words 'tiny Nintendo' is fun!

It was always pure Niche and I agree, if it's blocked later, the sell value of those goes up a ton.

Syriel

One now wonders just how much space the NES Classic has for extra roms and how many you can fit on it...

You're limited to 60 games due to UI limitations, apparently. I don't know how much space it has, but I assume it has plenty more than it uses due to the consideration of things like save states.

You could fit the entire NES worldwide library on the unit.

Nose Master

I don't understand the point of this.

I'm with you. They're just doing it to "do it", I think. Kind of like putting Doom on everything.

For the price of a NES Classic (at retail), you could build a RecalBox out of a Pi and have all SNES, Genesis, etc games on it as well. And output via HDMI the exact same way, and use whatever USB controller you wanted. Including knock off NES pads.

Cuburt

Nintendo even having 30 slots in the UI beyond the 30 included games is kind of odd.

Maybe they originally intended for 60 games?

TriAceJP

If they pulled the entire OS of the thing to add games, I am sure someone will make a CFW of sorts to just replace the stock one and remove the limitations.

But seriously, at that point just make a Raspberry Pi.

I thought the NES Mini had better emulation/less lag than RetroPie (I could be wrong, just my assumption, or might have read it somewhere not sure), and if that's the case then all you saying "just get a Raspberry Pi" are missing not just one point (being an official product, aesthetics, etc), but also that it (presumably) runs better too.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I decided to give this a shot, was really wanting to see if it could handle something like Dragon Quest Warrior IV.

The process itself didn't take too long to accomplish, but I was following a machine-translated guide so I was sure to read and re-read each section carefully. I've done a few mods like this in the past and I understand electronics and programming so I thought it was worth attempting. I used Windows 10. The basic process went like this:
  • Play Super Mario Bros (the first one) and create a save state in the first slot
  • Hook NES Classic to computer's USB, load into dev mode (hold reset, then press power, let go of reset after 3 seconds)
  • Use provided application to install USB drivers for the "Unknown Device" aka NES Classic
  • Dump the console's uboot and kernel via USB using the provided Hakchi program
  • Using the provided tools, recompiled the NES ROM file along with the chosen game's label image as a JPEG
  • Unpacked the kernel file using Hakchi
  • Copied the newly compiled ROM to the specified folder in the Hakchi directory
  • Rebuild the kernel file using Hakchi
  • Hit the "memboot" button in Hakchi, after which it shut down the console
  • Restarted the console in dev mode
  • Hit "Flash Kernel" in Hakchi, which took about 90 seconds
After that the console restarted and I had this in my menu!
Started up the game and it worked great. The volume is pretty high but there is a setting for that when compiling the ROM that I left at default but I'll probably lower on my next attempt. The graphics look sharp and everything appears to be working as far as I can tell - the only graphical issues I've seen are those that are present on the original NES so it appears everything is in order.
Next, I'm going to try flashing a few more games at once, then I'm going to try deleting an existing game. That is, if I can resist just spending a few days playing DQ4.

AgeEighty

I have no doubt that every single one of the games people will load on the NES Mini with this method is a game they legally own a physical copy of.

What are the odds they lied about never adding more games, and they let you plug it into a Switch to officially download more? 0.000001%? Lower?

I mean, it seems like a definitive never, but the UI supporting exactly 30 more games and the process being simpler than I imagined makes it all seem just a little dubious. I thought everyone was pretty sure it would all be locked off well enough that soft mods like this would be impossible. I can't imagine Nintendo was unable to lock it down more than this, which makes me feel like they deliberately left the box more open than they officially indicated.

b3b0p

I thought the NES Mini had better emulation/less lag than RetroPie (I could be wrong, just my assumption, or might have read it somewhere not sure), and if that's the case then all you saying "just get a Raspberry Pi" are missing not just one point (being an official product, aesthetics, etc), but also that it (presumably) runs better too.

This is my understanding as well. Has there been any testing or confirmation? Like maybe playing Mega Man and Punch Out to test lag and accuracy?

As far as a controller for your Pi you can buy a USB Mayflash adapter. I have one and it works perfect with Wii Classic Controller.

Aeana

I have no doubt that every single one of the games people will load on the NES Mini with this method is a game they legally own a physical copy of.

Well, it's a good thing the piracy police is here to accuse everyone of wrongdoing.

Lothar

Banned
Finally the NES Classic is worth getting.

Like imagine a NES collection so poorly thought out that it doesn't have Contra and Castlevania 3 and Mega Man 3.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

My Dragon Warrior 4 NES cartridge is one of my most prized possessions, for the record

This is my understanding as well. Has there been any testing or confirmation? Like maybe playing Mega Man and Punch Out to test lag and accuracy?

I'm thinking I'll try to delete Punch Out Featuring Mr. Dream and replacing it with Mike Tyson's Punch Out. I'll check and see if there is any difference in lag or accuracy but judging by Dragon Warrior 4 (admittedly a terrible test) I don't think that will be the case.

Harlock

I thought that hardware don´t have any output besides hdmi and controllers. In what you connect the micro USB?

Edit: ah, the power connector.

Aeana

Of course. ;-)

My post does not "accuse everyone of wrongdoing". Good lord, the defensiveness.

You're lucky you're still here. It is actually site policy to not tolerate people coming into these kinds of threads and blanket accusing everyone of piracy. We actually do have some honest people here who are just interested in playing the things they own in more convenient ways.

AgeEighty

Good lord, the shitpostiness.

Not really. I might even use this myself for a couple of the carts I've got, once it's got a record of not damaging or bricking other NES Minis. But this will get used by some people for stuff they don't own; you know that.

You're lucky you're still here. It is actually site policy to not tolerate people coming into these kinds of threads and blanket accusing everyone of piracy. We actually do have some honest people here who are just interested in playing the things they own in more convenient ways.

And like I said, that's not what I did. My comment was not "everyone doing this is stealing ROMs", it was "probably not everyone doing this is not stealing ROMs". Come on.

styl3s

Anyone who can be bothered to hack/mod already has the option of just running an emulator on a raspberry pi without any of the drawbacks
This is what i did when instead of buying the nes classic.

Got a 8bitdo NES and SNES controllers and it's 1000% flawless. As for NES Classic this seemed like it was inevitable.

btrboyev

I thought that hardware don´t have any output besides hdmi and controllers. In what you connect the micro USB?

Edit: ah, the power connector.

It's powered by micro USB. Baffling that Nintendo would allow the USB port to have I/O capability.

DonMigs85

I kinda wish they had waited before unleashing this hack because now Nintendo may lock down newer revisions and a possible SNES mini will probably be locked down tight as well.

But I guess this thing uses a general emulator for all its games? No special game-specific hacks implemented?

Skyzard

Banned
This probably makes it worth it now for the form factor and convenience/novelty. Even if it sits on a shelf, it's pretty set and ready to go if you put your favs on there, 60 is a decent number.

-(If it was like $70)

Lijik

This is pretty cool! If I had an NES Classic I'd probably try to put some homebrew stuff like Zooming Secretary on it.

Lol at people wondering why anyone would be interested in adding more value to a good quality, nice looking HDMI NES.

Also I hope you can do this with the Famicom Mini, I won't be able to buy a NES Mini anytime soon :(

why "lol"? You can already do this in good PCs with good screens. Also, before someone says "lol @ thinking casuals will learn how to emulate", you really think they're going to take the time to learn how to hack a NES Classic (assuming it's not braindead easy)?

DonMigs85

Yes. I actually ripped my own Wii/GCN discs for use in Dolphin, for example, using my actual Wii.

nynt9

Not really. I might even use this myself for a couple of the carts I've got, once it's got a record of not damaging or bricking other NES Minis. But this will get used by some people for stuff they don't own; you know that.

And like I said, that's not what I did. My comment was not "everyone doing this is stealing ROMs", it was "probably not everyone doing this is not stealing ROMs". Come on.

If people wanted to play games they don't own, there's plenty of ways to do so already. So no need to specifically bring that up here.

I'd love to try this out, but I don't own a NES mini and I don't want to pay $150-200 for one. Shame Nintendo botched its release.

Harlock

Retropie don´t have a nice interface for save slots. You need hotkeys in the controller to save/load and change state. I can see people having both, Rasp and NES Classic (yet the Rasp accept bluetooth controllers).

jshackles

So we know you can add 30 more, but can you remove games you don't like?

I'm gonna try this next, I'll let you know how it goes

But I guess this thing uses a general emulator for all its games? No special game-specific hacks implemented?

When you recompile the ROM using their tool, the only thing you can really change is:
  • Overscan dimensions (default "0,0,9,3")
  • Fadin duration (default 3,2)
  • Volume (default 95 which I think is too high - most built-in games appear to be set at 70)
  • Number of players (1 or 2, default 1)
  • Release Date, publisher, copyright line (all used for sorting / aesthetics)

nded

Pretty rich to chide people for being defensive only to follow up with this post.

AgeEighty

Pretty rich to chide people for being defensive only to follow up with this post.

How? People read my post the wrong way and I explained it better. That's not being defensive, it's trying to reach an understanding.

Don't feel comfortable trying this out on my NES Mini (worried that I might brick it), but holy crap that's neat.

Same, at least for the time being, particularly since it probably doesn't have a backup image to restore from.

Top Bottom