• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Artbooks - The Best And The Worst

1upsuper

Is that Audible trial thing still going on? I can never make the banner appear anywhere. Can I just sign up for the trial and then wait for an email or something?

Axass

I've got the audible banner, but this is what it says:

What do you get?

30 days of membership free, plus 2 audiobooks on us
1 credit a month after trial, good for any priced audiobook
Exclusive member discounts, easy exchanges, and more

Did they change it?

BTW, it wasn't top of the page, rather under the description:

c6afbb8c-17ca-4b5b-ad03-446424905111.png

If you're interested, I emailed the company that produced those and they had about 8 of the Kickstarter only books left (This is far after the KS campaign ended), so I asked for a price and got one of those; the KS version includes an extra book that has all of the N64 Box art as well as well as a special slipcase.

OH MY!!!! HOW MUCH?

Mieu

So... it was escalated. I will have to wait for another 2 days after the 24 hour waiting period.

The things we do for free books. Lol

I'm still going round and round with Amazon regarding my free book credit.

It hasn't been an easy process so just an FYI to anyone interested.

Hopefully it goes easier for others.

Mieu

You too, huh? :)

I love that they use the term "escalation." Sounds so assertive and serious. :)

Yes. I've been transferred to 7 reps before. But hey, it's a free book so why not?

You will always get these from customer service reps when things are going out of hand

Mieu

You should try listening to the free audiobooks. It's actually nice.

It's like a maester is narrating the story to you.

Finally got my hands on The Unofficial NES Visual Compendium. What an amazing book. So much info. Pull out pages. Great quality all around. I really wish I backed the SNES version 😭 Hopefully they produce enough to sell online.

Adry9

I contacted Amazon again regarding the missing code and this is what they told me:

You are now connected to Sebastian C from Amazon.com

Sebastian C: Hello Adrian! Thank you for contacting Audible Tech Support, my name is Sebastian and I'll be happy to assist you.
Me: Hello
Sebastian C: Hello Adrian, I can see your previous inquiry, I will submit a claim and email the id for the case, we will need 2-3 business days to be able to provide you with the resolution for this issue.
Me: I think it's very straightforward but alright.
Sebastian C: There was a problem with the problem and the amazon system, the promo had to be cancelled, but we are still honoring it manually for those customers who signed up on time.
I am sorry for the inconvenience however is the only option I can offer you at this moment.

Mieu

You should get feedback about the promo within 2 working days. You'll get a response from the Audible team. Promise.

I'm loving Game of Thrones for the audio book!

Laws00

i saw the dark souls design works for sale on amazon for going from the udon website. 1 copy left. i said to myself i should get get this. cool let me up go to my pc to enter my information. waited 30 minutes later and it was gone

the rest are 80-100 bucks

fuck

elhav

i saw the dark souls design works for sale on amazon for going from the udon website. 1 copy left. i said to myself i should get get this. cool let me up go to my pc to enter my information. waited 30 minutes later and it was gone

the rest are 80-100 bucks

fuck
It's kind of a shitty art book anyway.

Laws00

It's kind of a shitty art book anyway.

thank you for reaffirming my NOT to purchase

if couldn't get the first one, i was going to get the 2nd one or bloodborne

funny as they are some of my favorite games (2nd game meh) but, I don't have or want to have the art books for them for some reason.

Toki767

I got the Overwatch LE book for $50 due to that $10 off a book promotion Amazon was running a while back.

Still not sure if I even want to keep it.

Adry9

Really? As a Souls fan, I've had my eye on that for a while. Are there any Dark Souls art books worth getting?

The DS2 artbook is great. I hated the game but got the book for that art. Loved DS1 but skipped on the book because I heard was really lacking in content. Will get it some day though.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Finally got my hands on The Unofficial NES Visual Compendium. What an amazing book. So much info. Pull out pages. Great quality all around. I really wish I backed the SNES version 😭 Hopefully they produce enough to sell online.

Yeah I found that book on amazon earlier this year for a great price and love the hell out of it. This summer the SNES one went up for pre sell on amazon for $22 but it looks like that might fall though as it has been delayed twice already. Hope my order goes through as it looks to be an even better one then the NES!

Glassboy

Yeah I found that book on amazon earlier this year for a great price and love the hell out of it. This summer the SNES one went up for pre sell on amazon for $22 but it looks like that might fall though as it has been delayed twice already. Hope my order goes through as it looks to be an even better one then the NES!
The person running the Kickstarter says amazon will not fulfill those orders because they are not giving amazon any copies.

elhav

thank you for reaffirming my NOT to purchase

if couldn't get the first one, i was going to get the 2nd one or bloodborne

funny as they are some of my favorite games (2nd game meh) but, I don't have or want to have the art books for them for some reason.
As a fan of the Soulsborne series I bought the art book for the first game back in the day on a whim, but when I found out it's short and lackluster I was really disappointed. Can't understand why it fetches so much money on Amazon/Ebay.
Really? As a Souls fan, I've had my eye on that for a while. Are there any Dark Souls art books worth getting?
It's probably not as bad as I make it sound, but since I have a lot of art books I can tell a good one from a half assed one. If you really want it to be part of your collection and don't mind it being short and shallow, it's okay, but definitely not for a 100 bucks.

You can buy the book for the second game(which is better) and for Bloodborne, but for the first game you are stuck with this one. There is a small art book that came with the game when it first came out, but you most likely already have it, and if not it's nothing special anyway.

DemWalls

The DS2 artbook is great. I hated the game but got the book for that art. Loved DS1 but skipped on the book because I heard was really lacking in content. Will get it some day though.

Quoted for truth. DS II Design Works is great.
That book is one of the reasons I'll always sustain that the art in DS II is better than its predecessor's, or at the very least just as solid. Despite what some people who don't know what they're talking about (or haters) might say. Too bad From had some problems with properly translating that in-game.

Oh, I also confirm that DS Design Works isn't worth even 30 bucks, let alone 100.

1upsuper

I picked this up from the Amazon promotion.

I'm curious, how do the other Dark Souls design works compare?

1 is very similar but much shorter. Bloodborne is worse - it has tons of art but almost zero text and feels cheaper. 3 hasn't been localized yet, right?

I'd recommend getting the DaS1 book.

Resonance

Any news of the Dark Souls 3 Design Works coming over to the west? And how is the Japanese Bloodborne artbook compared to the one we got? Is there any difference in quality?

R.D.Blax

So I guess the audible free book promotion has been canceled or something like that right ? On another note, what are the chance Amazon.fr ever restock the Breath of Fire artbook ?

Top Bottom