• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Artbooks - The Best And The Worst

Blizzard CEs being the only exception to this rule.

True ! and a few expection like mmos, Guild Wars 2 had an amazing artbook in its CE :

GgOgf7J.png

Heads up :

aHzYX9R.png

Art of Persona 5 is 23$ on Amazon, that's 40% off the MSRP of 40$

As a poor european peasants collecting artbooks, that hearbreaking (pun intented) because I'm going buy this here but it will cost me twice that.

Mieu

Yay! More savings!!

Persona 5: The Aesthetics pales in comparison with P5 artbook in Japan.

But the CE still has a nice package.

Brokun

Missed the boat on the FE SoV limited edition. Hoping they do a proper FE artbook(s) for all the games since Awakening.

sn00zer

How is the Horizon artbook? Was planning on picking it up. Also has the Bloodborne artbook had an official US release yet?
51M1-WMJpqL._SX376_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I searched their website, and I'm shocked that Supergiant Games doesn't have artbooks for sale. Bastion and Transistor were both absolutely gorgeous games.

Verelios

I also saw in a separate thread Prima isn't exactly....great when it comes to artbooks and stuff. Can anyone confirm?
This is the only thing holding me back from ordering. Prima has a horrible track record from print quality to content arrangement. I don't mind that for guides but I really don't like my artbooks being subpar.

Mieu

How is the Horizon artbook? Was planning on picking it up. Also has the Bloodborne artbook had an official US release yet?

From emrober5:

It's pretty great, I actually cancelled my collectors edition preorder and got this plus the game instead.

Excellent quality, and lots of content. I have only skimmed it as I didn't want to see too many spoilers though.

Prima isn't good with artbooks? Oh man..

Quoting myself from last page :

It's a nice book. But it lack concept studies and trial & error.

It's basically a world art book, in the sens that it shows in details the work put in the final game. It shows details on the different tribes, their style, people, armor, houses, weapons... with great text explaining design decisions, philosophies and focus...

But it feels like a collection, not like a creative process, with the progress, the errors, the exploration around shapes, colors, forms... And I like that in my artbooks but this one just is not about that.

I would still, recommend this to anyone who enjoyed the game. It's beautiful and its really paying tribute to the amazing work and details done on the game's massive universe, on the tribes, the locations, the housings, the armors...

But like any good artbook, the more it shows, the more it lacks because it can't show EVEYRTHING :D

Also, Bloodborne artbook is FINALLY coming in June.

Vespa

Oh, nice. Will pick this up, I have the Overwatch collector's edition art book and it was kinda weak, this looks a lot beefier!

Definitely going to pick the Overwatch book up. Little confused as to what you actually get in the Limited edition, but I'll see nearer the time.

Vespa

Definitely going to pick the Overwatch book up. Little confused as to what you actually get in the Limited edition, but I'll see nearer the time.

Seems like this is what you get over the normal version:
This deluxe limited edition comes packaged in a beautiful clamshell box with magnetic closure and includes an acetate slipcover featuring the game's most popular hero, Tracer, as well as two portfolios containing a total of three prints chosen by the Overwatch team!

So I came back from japan with 7kg of artbooks lol I had to refrain myself, I could have filled my luggage in Mandarake et Bookoff.

What did you get?

Gravity Daze (Rush) 1 + 2 artbook
Stella Deus artbook
Capcom Visual Works 2004-2014
Ryu ga Gotoku (Yakuza) anniversary book
Persona 3 & 4 fanbooks (couldn't find the visual works)
Odin Sphere Leifdrasir (I wish Vanillaware or Kitakami would have more artbooks)
Grasshooper Manufacture artbook
FF XIV art of Eorza (I bought this for a friend playing the game but the cover is great I wanted to keep it for myself just for it)

I really dig the art from the FF XIV art team (Yoshida, and his team) and even if I didnt play FF XIV, their artworks are stunning... maybe one day I'll bite of Eorza, Ishtar and Stormblood artbooks... Meanwhile I wait for FF XII remaster :)

Also, the art of Granblue Fantasy really struck me. I know nothing about the game but I saw the book several times in the shelves in Japan and the art is really great. I was this close to buy a book for a game I know nothing about.

I still miss Bloodborne and Persona official design works. In June I'll buy the western editon of Bloodborne visual works, and P3, P4 and P5 artbooks. After that I think I'll be satisfied for a while. My gaming collection is nothing impressive but I like it so far. I try to keep it small.

vYLVlEu.jpg

Mieu

The P4 Udon artbook is sold out in Amazon. I hope you can still find one that is priced decently. Got mine for $20 when it was still available. Meanwhile, P4A is at $20 while P3 is at 30+. P5 is still at $25 for preorder at amazon.

I need to hold off on buying artbooks. I don't know where put them anymore haha!

Magnus

I love all the ones that have come with Blizzard CEs for each World of Warcraft and Diablo game/expansion since around 2002. So good.

I don't have a huge basis for comparison though, since those are most of the gaming artbooks I own.

ghibli99

Holy hell, I had no idea the Journey art book was worth that much. Need to make sure mine is in a nice safe spot at home.
Woah, signed copies are like $450 (if that's to be believed). I need to pay closer attention to these things. I have quite a few signed hardcovers that I should probably keep in a safer place too.

MadMod

Recently just bought the art from the new Ghost in the Shell movie.
61Q73MlK9yL.jpg

Still waiting for that Bloodborne though...

The P4 Udon artbook is sold out in Amazon. I hope you can still find one that is priced decently. Got mine for $20 when it was still available. Meanwhile, P4A is at $20 while P3 is at 30+. P5 is still at $25 for preorder at amazon.

I need to hold off on buying artbooks. I don't know where put them anymore haha!

amazon US prices for artbooks are making me red jalous. I mean P5 is half price, the thing is not even out.

I pay twice these prices for these same books here... Never I have sales and no second hands here

Crap amazon.fr had P4 last week... They are out now. I couldn't find these in japan... I have to pay 40€ for these...

Woah, signed copies are like $450 (if that's to be believed). I need to pay closer attention to these things. I have quite a few signed hardcovers that I should probably keep in a safer place too.

A gaffer got me this book for a secret santa. It's one of the most interesting read I've had about video game conception. It's a must read for any artist, designer or anyone enthusiast enough and game making

Ji8hytO.jpg

3 books .. it is huge ... but since pretty much every art is full page, lots of art were left out, specialy from the later FF that had fewer amano art

I totally need to buy this. Is this the current "slipcase" version? Or is this the separate three book version that looks like it's ~$1,400 right now on Amazon?

I totally need to buy this. Is this the current "slipcase" version? Or is this the separate three book version that looks like it's ~$1,400 right now on Amazon?

slip case. bought the new edition for 70 euros couple of months ago.

its a reprint. same books. Don't spend 1400$

Gravity Daze (Rush) 1 + 2 artbook
Stella Deus artbook
Capcom Visual Works 2004-2014
Ryu ga Gotoku (Yakuza) anniversary book
Persona 3 & 4 fanbooks (couldn't find the visual works)
Odin Sphere Leifdrasir (I wish Vanillaware or Kitakami would have more artbooks)
Grasshooper Manufacture artbook
FF XIV art of Eorza (I bought this for a friend playing the game but the cover is great I wanted to keep it for myself just for it)

I really dig the art from the FF XIV art team (Yoshida, and his team) and even if I didnt play FF XIV, their artworks are stunning... maybe one day I'll bite of Eorza, Ishtar and Stormblood artbooks... Meanwhile I wait for FF XII remaster :)

Also, the art of Granblue Fantasy really struck me. I know nothing about the game but I saw the book several times in the shelves in Japan and the art is really great. I was this close to buy a book for a game I know nothing about.

I still miss Bloodborne and Persona official design works. In June I'll buy the western editon of Bloodborne visual works, and P3, P4 and P5 artbooks. After that I think I'll be satisfied for a while. My gaming collection is nothing impressive but I like it so far. I try to keep it small.

vYLVlEu.jpg

How is Gravity Daze's artbook? Worth importing?

How is Gravity Daze's artbook? Worth importing?

Its gorgeous. It's two book one after the other. Paper isn't glossy and feel great. Tons of Kat art, characters arts then all the world design, character sprites, tons of concepts of world, buildings, enemies, studies of 3D cities, geometry etc... and all the materials, objects, visual design... Its packed and art is great.

Its gorgeous. It's two book one after the other. Paper isn't glossy and feel great. Tons of Kat art, characters arts then all the world design, character sprites, tons of concepts of world, buildings, enemies, studies of 3D cities, geometry etc... and all the materials, objects, visual design... Its packed and art is great.
What do you mean by "two books one after the other"? Is it a compendium of book 1 and 2?

What do you mean by "two books one after the other"? Is it a compendium of book 1 and 2?

The order is first, all the art for the first game, the characters, the environnements... then you have the files, art, illustrations for the second game.

It's not organized like in Killzone artbook where the art is filed under a theme, rather than by game in the series.

colinp

Banned
I got four Sengoku Basara art books for ¥1 a piece from resellers on amazon.co.jp! Technically I also paid ¥257 yen for s/h for each book (¥1028 for all four)... Still, what a crazy awesome deal. Not sure what s/h would be like to the rest of the world but probably still cheaper than buying new. Three of the books are brand new, one of them as a bit of wear on the top of the cover.

Now I'm scouring Amazon.jp for other cheap second hand art books. There's a surprisingly deep collection but you need to know what you want in order to find it.

Top Bottom