• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Article about AMD / Lisa Su

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Thought some people might want to read this. Its pretty intersting. Ive been primarily a Intel/Nvidia customer but I really welcome competion in tech and hopefully pricing.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/27/tech/lisa-su-amd-risk-takers/index.html

Even though the company was bleeding money, laden with debt and staring down a potential bankruptcy, becoming chief executive of chip maker Advanced Micro Devices was a dream job for Lisa Su.
"When you grow up as a tech person — and I spent my career in semiconductors — there aren't that many large US semiconductor companies. So I was really excited to become CEO," Su told CNN Business. She liked that she could walk around a Best Buy and pick up a laptop, knowing that the microchip or processor her company built was powering it.
Not everyone would have been so enthusiastic. When Su took the helm of AMD in 2014, its stock was heading toward an all-time low.
But Su, now one of the most powerful women in tech, likes a challenge. She says that's why she became an engineer in the first place. She had to make bold bets — some of which wouldn't begin pay off for five years — to turn AMD around.
"The reason it takes so long is it is extraordinarily complex," Su said. "Our latest chip for data centers is actually 40 billion transistors ... you've got to get every single one of them right and there's just a lot of engineering to do that."
Su, who holds bachelor's, master's and doctorate degrees in electrical engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, decided the company would go big on building technology for high performance computing applications. That set AMD up to power crucial next-generation tech including cloud computing, data centers, artificial intelligence and gaming.

Those technologies are dominant in 2020. But Su had to start laying the groundwork in 2014.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
"Su, who holds bachelor's, master's and doctorate degrees in electrical engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, decided the company would go big on building technology for high performance computing applications. That set AMD up to power crucial next-generation tech including cloud computing, data centers, artificial intelligence and gaming."

Good for her she's kicking butt. She is a prime example of women who get degrees in something useful instead of SJW studies, are smart and talented and are willing to work as hard a any man can go as far as they want and the so-called patriarchy won't try to hold us back. Whining playing the victim and creating problems on the job is what holds back women from doing and being anything they want.

I worked in a male dominated field many years ago, worked my tail off, kicked ass, made a ton of money and got nothing but respect.

Banned
"Su, who holds bachelor's, master's and doctorate degrees in electrical engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, decided the company would go big on building technology for high performance computing applications. That set AMD up to power crucial next-generation tech including cloud computing, data centers, artificial intelligence and gaming."

Good for her she's kicking butt. She is a prime example of women who get degrees in something useful instead of SJW studies, are smart and talented and are willing to work as hard a any man can go as far as they want and the so-called patriarchy won't try to hold us back. Whining playing the victim and creating problems on the job is what holds back women from doing and being anything they want.

I worked in a male dominated field many years ago, worked my tail off, kicked ass, made a ton of money and got nothing but respect.

exactly... and isn't the person who's responsible for their new architectures and therefore current success also female?

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
I want Intel to struggle for at least another year, give AMD as much revenue as possible, so that when Intel finally fights back(it's coming), AMD will have the means to fight back and we will hopefully have a competitive and healthy industry again.

I bought my Ryzen because the company's CEO is a woman and I wanted to send a message to Intel: Get with your times, break the glass ceiling and get a treatment for that toxic masculinity!

kiphalfton

A bachelor's in engineering is pretty respectable, but a master's and phD from MIT is god damn impressive, especially in electrical engineering.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
... For a woman.

I'll get my coat.

Just kidding, nothing but respect for her.
giphy.gif

lol

Dane

To think about that AMD was the butt joke for up to 10 years, they really made the comback.

I remember that people tought that Ryzen would be a flop, then when it was released it had a much superior performance in multithread for less, albeit it was still kinda lackey on games, but the overall was a huge improvement that could beat Intel on the multicore/thread market in price. They slashed prices and released the second generation that made it a even better cost benefit, and finally, with the current one they closed most of the gap in gaming without changing the MoBo platform.

LordKasual

Banned

Good for her she's kicking butt. She is a prime example of women who get degrees in something useful instead of SJW studies-

Thank the lord Jesus she chose to get into semiconductors instead of gender studies.
And she's not even saying that we need more women in this field blah, blah and other typical sjw nonsense.

... For a woman.

I bought my Ryzen because the company's CEO is a woman and I wanted to send a message to Intel: Get with your times, break the glass ceiling and get a treatment for that toxic masculinity!

And it's today that i realize that as much as GAF seemingly hates being political.... they literally can't even comment on an article without forcing politics into it lol

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
This lady has the most hardcore of neckbeards wearing her face on their online avatars. She made a name for herself through a tangible achievement, defeating the edge Intel had.

To me, this is the biggest example that the toxicity towards women which the media wants to attribute to our online culture as a whole is just fabricated for the sake of business.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Lisa Su and Jennsung are relatives. True China(aka Taiwan as you know) blood ftw.

But respect, Lisu just went about without any sjw pimping. Dr in MIT enginnering :messenger_astonished:

llien

I think someone before her, who has mad major investments into Zen deserves major credit for saving AMD.

That being said, in her hands (and especially after Raja's departure) AMD keeps improving.

She is the most loved tech CEO on the planet, something something misogyny something.

MadYarpen

And it's today that i realize that as much as GAF seemingly hates being political.... they literally can't even comment on an article without forcing politics into it lol
I really, really was only kidding.
My joke is totally opposite to my... Political opinion on those matters, which I didn't express here.

Lisa is a prime example of a woman who earnt her spot at the top because she was the best person for the job. Not only was she the best person for the job at the time she got it, her performance has turned the company around.
And all those sexist pigs in the tech industry and gamers must be hating how well.she has done? Well no, she is a cult hero and everyone actually respects the shit out of her.

Ascend

She's indeed one of the greatest female CEOs of our time.

This is going to trigger some people, but, the fact that you kind of have to look twice to confirm she's really a woman might also have something to do with it.
MW-FG387_LisaSu_20170222163121_ZQ.jpg

LordKasual

Banned
To be fair gender studies is an actual problem for society.

Regardless, it is completely and totally irrelevant to this article. The only reason people are talking about it is because a woman is the subject of the article.....which is a little sad.

GAF's company has become a bit disappointing in the last few years, i didn't realize this kind of crew was quite so rampant on this forum.

As much as i hate the place, if this was ResetERA, like 90% of the posters in this thread would have gotten banned already....but at least once past the 1st page, people would actually start talking about the article/achievements, not about glass ceilings and SJWs and her physical appearance. GAF doesn't have the self-righteous nazi moderators but the tradeoff is a severe lack of quality posting when it matters. This thread will likely not amount to any discussion not related to the fact that she's a woman.

Oh well, life's tradeoffs.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The turnaround for AMD in the last couple of years has really been extraordinary. Seems like they are starting to figure out their GPUs, too. I'm currently typing this from a Ryzen 9 3900x and Vega 64 rig.

Regardless, it is completely and totally irrelevant to this article. The only reason people are talking about it is because a woman is the subject of the article.....which is a little sad.

GAF's company has become a bit disappointing in the last few years, i didn't realize this kind of crew was quite so rampant on this forum.

As much as i hate the place, if this was ResetERA, like 90% of the posters in this thread would have gotten banned already....but at least once past the 1st page, people would actually start talking about the article/achievements, not about glass ceilings and SJWs and her physical appearance. GAF doesn't have the self-righteous nazi moderators but the tradeoff is a severe lack of quality posting when it matters. This thread will likely not amount to any discussion not related to the fact that she's a woman.

Be the change you want to see. It's cliche, I know, but that's the only way. Telling people to change isn't going to make things more comfortable for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Lisa Su and Jennsung are relatives. True China(aka Taiwan as you know) blood ftw.

But respect, Lisu just went about without any sjw pimping. Dr in MIT enginnering :messenger_astonished:

Holy shit. I had no idea they were related. Jensen Huang is her uncle, apparently.

I love Lisa Su......

Oh, we know...

Last edited by a moderator:

LordKasual

Banned
The turnaround for AMD in the last couple of years has really been extraordinary. Seems like they are starting to figure out their GPUs, too. I'm currently typing this from a Ryzen 9 3900x and Vega 64 rig.

Be the change you want to see. It's cliche, I know, but that's the only way. Telling people to change isn't going to make things more comfortable for you.

Meh, I didn't tell anyone to change, it's pointless.

But you're right, calling it out doesn't do anything either. But people here are about as goggle-eyed for "SJWs" as Resetera is for "offensive people", and me slowly noticing that GAF is almost literally just the anti-era is a bit depressing. Same shit, different flavor lol

But anyway, this woman's work is fire. Nothing makes me happier in the PC space than AMD pulling weight, as i've been opting for their cheaper equivalent parts for years. The competition with Nvidia has been getting more and more interesting.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Meh, I didn't tell anyone to change, it's pointless.

But you're right, calling it out doesn't do anything either. But people here are about as goggle-eyed for "SJWs" as Resetera is for "offensive people", and me slowly noticing that GAF is almost literally just the anti-era is a bit depressing. Same shit, different flavor lol

But anyway, this woman's work is fire. Nothing makes me happier in the PC space than AMD pulling weight, as i've been opting for their cheaper equivalent parts for years. The competition with Nvidia has been getting more and more interesting.

The important difference in my eyes is that people aren't banned here for having an opinion that goes against whatever the majority might be in a thread. Discussion is allowed. Yeah, there are a lot more conservative viewpoints being represented here right now, but that's mostly because a lot of the more left-minded folks jumped ship. People with left-leaning opinions are just as welcome here as long as they aren't screeching and trying to shut other people down or dehumanize them.

LordKasual

Banned
The important difference in my eyes is that people aren't banned here for having an opinion that goes against whatever the majority might be in a thread. Discussion is allowed. Yeah, there are a lot more conservative viewpoints being represented here right now, but that's mostly because a lot of the more left-minded folks jumped ship. People with left-leaning opinions are just as welcome here as long as they aren't screeching and trying to shut other people down or dehumanize them.

As a left-leaning person myself (who was too extreme for Era apparently), i actually enjoy the exposure. Most of the comments in this thread are about as "right leaning" as the worst ResetEra threads are "left leaning", which is still very jarring to have to wade through in conversations.

But the absence of a self-righteous forum god literally dictating what you can and can't type makes it all worth it.

edit:

In ResetEra, someone would make a thread about some random person talking shit about women, and the whole thread would just be shitting on "toxic masculinity" and vowing to hate and destroy any and everyone who associates with the person.
In NeoGAF, someone makes a thread about a CEO who happens to BE a woman, and the whole thread is a bonfire of SJW hatred (because the CEO is successful despite her being a woman)...with a healthy mix of "lol she's a woman" jokes (because we HAVE to make a woman joke to prove that it's okay!)

I think i'm finally at the age now where i'll just mute the people who have nothing good to say and pretend like the world is more balanced that it is?

I dunno, i love arguing, who am i kidding

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
As a left-leaning person myself (who was too extreme for Era apparently), i actually enjoy the exposure. Most of the comments in this thread are about as "right leaning" as the worst ResetEra threads are "left leaning", which is still very jarring to have to wade through in conversations.

But the absence of a self-righteous forum god literally dictating what you can and can't type makes it all worth it.

I agree and that's why I'm back here, too.

Ellery

AMD is pumping out big right now. Extremely excited for next gen consoles and especially how good the RDNA2 big boys are. I don't need to upgrade, because I already have a 3700X Zen2 and it is amazing, but still looking forward to seeing what's coming for CPUs aswell.

The battle between the next flagship Nvidia and next flagship AMD card is going to be interesting. I genuinely hope AMD does come reasonably close, but looking at the improvements from RDNA to RDNA2 I am hopeful that they can do more than just "match the 2080 Ti from 2018".

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

While I agree that there are people whining about their pet political positions too, you could have also chosen to quote one of the other posts that didn't mention that stuff at all.

edit: oops, I was supposed to have quoted LordKasual LordKasual

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
While I agree that there are people whining about their pet political positions too, you could have also chosen to quote one of the other posts that didn't mention that stuff at all.

Well... I did in my other post. I honestly just reply to posts that catch my eye.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Gaf is pretty cool now, aside from the dozens of PS5 topics which could be consolidated into 1 next gen console warring topic

I feel like "SSD" is going to be the meme of this generation, but it's getting a bit ridiculous for sure.

Top Bottom