• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD dodges question on anti-consumer behavior regarding their bundled games. (Update: article is selective)

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

I've long suspected this was the case since many AMD bundled games simply do not offer DLSS, because of this I will not play the majority of AMD sponsored titles. Good to see some people finally talking about this.

This type of anti-gamer foolishness which holds back PC gaming needs to stop :lollipop_angry_face:

Im not defending AMD here, but I find it odd that you’re upset with AMD for apparently not allowing DLSS to be on games they sponsor, which I agree is a shitty move, but yet you have nothing to say about nvidia not allowing the use of DLSS tech on AMD hardware…unlike FSR which is opem source.

Hugare

People really think that devs only put FSR in their games 'cause it works on basically all PCs?

They only figured it out about it now?

Jesus f christ, it was clear as day

Every AMD sponsored game never had DLSS. To think thats because devs preffered FSR is to be oblivious af.

winjer

Gold Member
Every AMD sponsored game never had DLSS. To think thats because devs preffered FSR is to be oblivious af.

There are several AMD sponsored games that have DLSS. All you had to do was read the list in the previous pages.
And there are also NVidia sponsored games without FSR2 or XeSS.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
People really think that devs only put FSR in their games 'cause it works on basically all PCs?

They only figured it out about it now?

Jesus f christ, it was clear as day

I guess it’s easier to make false accusations than look at the facts, that some there’s AMD sponsored titles that have DLSS, and some that don’t.

Just like there’s Nvidia sponsored games that don’t have FSR - in which case only Nvidia users have an upscaler option since it’s proprietary to Nvidia hardware.

Last edited:

Three

That's not true and it's mentioned in the video. A lot of AMD sponsored games don't have DLSS because they're AMD sponsored games so they obviously concentrate on FSR but I don't think they are blocked from DLSS. Most just dont do it because they don't work with the Streamline SDK when they are AMD sponsored.

Last edited:
Of course, AMD are not going to answer the question because they are being anti-consumer and they know full well they are!

AMD do not want FSR being compared to DLSS in their sponsored games and it is very telling that the three AMD sponsored games in that list that do include DLSS and FSR (as well as, I believe, XeSS) are PS5 ports: The Last of Us Part 1 and Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection! So Sony may have insisted on those being included against AMD's wishes. Forspoken is, of course, the other game and that conincidentally (or not) is currently a PS5 console exclusive...

NVIDIA are not flawless either but in their favour don't stop FSR or XeSS being included in their games. You could argue though that it's because they know that they have the superior option that NVIDIA GPU owners will favour over the others but that really isn't the point here. It's not about who is better, it is about offering gamers choice and there is absolutely no excuse for any PC game not to support DLSS, FSR, XeSS and all the other upscaling options available such as TAAU. AMD are just being, AMD, and just a bit stupid in my opinion as their GPU users could at least use XeSS as an alternative if they didn't like FSR.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Of course, AMD are not going to answer the question because they are being anti-consumer and they know full well they are!

AMD do not want FSR being compared to DLSS in their sponsored games and it is very telling that the three AMD sponsored games in that list that *do* include DLSS and FSR (as well as, I believe, XeSS) are PS5 ports: The Last of Us Part 1 and Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection! So Sony may have insisted on those being included against AMD's wishes. Forspoken is, of course, the other game and that conincidentally (or not) is currently a PS5 console exclusive...
Nice that you ignore the updated post half way through the thread that includes Sackboy, an Nvidia sponsored title from Sony that has had even DLSS3 support added and upgraded ray tracing but still for some reason lacks FSR and apparently blocks the FSR mod.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
AMD’s biggest GPU problem isn’t performance, it’s perception. AMD hasnt caught up to nvidia, but they price their cards like they have. The 7900 XTX is an absolute beast of a card, trading blows with nvidias $1200 card (which you never see at that price. More like $1300) in rasteur performance for about $1000, even discounted to $900 in some instances. I maintain that most people could not spot an RT screenshot compared to at rast screenshot. Cyberpunk 2077 is an example. There is very little difference unless you use path tracing. I kept running the benchmark with each RT option enabled to determine if the visuals gained was worth the performance trade off. Sure you can see the difference if youre looking for them. But most people you could turn off RT and tell them it was RT and they’d be none the wiser.

What frustrates me is that AMD should have priced the XTX at $799 and the XT at $699. Nvidia likely would have been forced to compete. AMD is focusing too much on profits and not enough on marketshare which will generate more long term profits.

Kenpachii

Nice that you ignore the updated post half way through the thread that includes Sackboy, an Nvidia sponsored title from Sony that has had even DLSS3 support added and upgraded ray tracing but still for some reason lacks FSR and apparently blocks the FSR mod.

Nvidia answers the question, AMD doesn't that's the point.

As of now AMD looks anti consumer as fuck. While Nvidia isn't.

The whole they are equally bad shit show people are running on is getting tired. Everybody knows Nvidia is a dog shit company but that's not the point.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Im not defending AMD here, but I find it odd that you’re upset with AMD for apparently not allowing DLSS to be on games they sponsor, which I agree is a shitty move, but yet you have nothing to say about nvidia not allowing the use of DLSS tech on AMD hardware…unlike FSR which is opem source.
Open source or not DLSS requires hardware to work, it's not just Nvidia not allowing it on AMD, it can't even work on GeForce GPUs before the 2000 series because they don't have Tensor cores.

There's a reason why DLSS looks way better than FSR, there's actual hardware working there, it's not just an algorithm.
That's also why FSR2 is heavier on the GPU than FSR1, it takes actual GPU time to process.

Solidus_T

AMD is taking a page out of Nvidia's playbook here. Not justifying this, but it's something all of these companies have done.

Kenpachii

AMD’s biggest GPU problem isn’t performance, it’s perception. AMD hasnt caught up to nvidia, but they price their cards like they have. The 7900 XTX is an absolute beast of a card, trading blows with nvidias $1200 card (which you never see at that price. More like $1300) in rasteur performance for about $1000, even discounted to $900 in some instances. I maintain that most people could not spot an RT screenshot compared to at rast screenshot. Cyberpunk 2077 is an example. There is very little difference unless you use path tracing. I kept running the benchmark with each RT option enabled to determine if the visuals gained was worth the performance trade off. Sure you can see the difference if youre looking for them. But most people you could turn off RT and tell them it was RT and they’d be none the wiser.

What frustrates me is that AMD should have priced the XTX at $799 and the XT at $699. Nvidia likely would have been forced to compete. AMD is focusing too much on profits and not enough on marketshare which will generate more long term profits.

Will a casual notice DLSS 3.0 performance gain over FSR 2?

Nobody buys 7000 series high end gpu's mate. People in the known will avoid them and people without the knowledge will easily be baited by DLSS 3.0 and the gazillion posts and information about how superior DLSS is over AMD's solution and how RT changes there lifes.

That's the reality.

Why AMD decided to chase Nvidia anyway on the high end is absolutely mindboggling, the whole 4000 and 7000 gpu's aren't selling for shit.

At this point AMD should just decide to make high end APU's for PC's.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
AMD is taking a page out of Nvidia's playbook here. Not justifying this, but it's something all of these companies have done.
All of these sponsored titles are bullshit - either blatant or underhand it inevitably leads to gimped performance for the non-sponsors.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What a joke of a premise.

AMD hardware/software features are all OPEN SOURCE

nVidia hardware/software features are exclusive to their hardware only, which they made deals with developers into using said features.

Both bundle games and have done so for over 15 years.

Retard fanboys & shills in the industry gonna retard.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Agreed. Funny part about it is that nVidia could easily overcome this by just making DLSS an open source protocol.
Curb Your Enthusiasm Bingo GIF by Jason Clarke

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Ya'll explain this to me cuz I'm not following. How would DLSS being open source prevent AMD from paying game devs from excluding DLSS options?
AMD would probably not block it anymore since it's open source. They block it now, because it's proprietary. Basically telling nVidia, "open that shit up on the supposed open platform like we have always done, and not use your lopsided market share to keep software features locked down."

Same way Sony/MS block game from showing up on their rivals proprietary sub services day 1 with 3rd party marketing contracts for games.

Topher

Gold Member
AMD would probably not block it anymore since it's open source. They block it now, because it's proprietary. Basically telling nVidia, "open that shit up on the supposed open platform like we have always done, and not use your lopsided market share to keep software features locked down."

Same way Sony/MS block game from showing up on their rivals proprietary sub services day 1 with 3rd party marketing contracts for games.

I just saw your other post....

What a joke of a premise.

AMD hardware/software features are all OPEN SOURCE

nVidia hardware/software features are exclusive to their hardware only, which they made deals with developers into using said features.

Both bundle games and have done so for over 15 years.

Retard fanboys & shills in the industry gonna retard.

Yeah, I get what you guys are saying now. This shit works both ways. I get FSR options with my RTX 4080 and I wouldn't have DLSS options with an AMD card.

GPU industry seems almost as fucked up as consoles.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Yeah, I get what you guys are saying now. This shit works both ways. I get FSR options with my RTX 4080 and I wouldn't have DLSS options with an AMD card.

Always has been. It's just as bloody, if not worse in the fanboy wars as well.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
The article asked nvidia and they went on record saying that they do not ban their sponsored titles from using fsr.

This is an amd issue. They are being anti consumer cunts.
Yeah I’m not here to white knight for Nvidia, but there is a difference between paying devs to support your feature vs paying devs to NOT support your competitor’s feature.

theclaw135

Banned

Consoles eh? Upscaling is a fringe area where the Xbox 360 is still more user-friendly than PC.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeah I’m not here to white knight for Nvidia, but there is a difference between paying devs to support your feature vs paying devs to NOT support your competitor’s feature.
It's more than likely a stipulation in the marketing contract that states "no rival proprietary feature focus, stick to open source that all can use."

Not much different than marketing contracts on consoles with the proprietary sub services.

nVidia can solve all of this by being open source on an open source platform.

Topher

Gold Member
Always has been. It's just as bloody, if not worse in the fanboy wars as well.

I've taken for granted, it seems, that as a Nvidia GPU owner that I have the options for competing tech in games while AMD owners usually do not (outside of XeSS). Yeah, that's a bit shitty.

Consoles eh? Upscaling is a fringe area where the Xbox 360 is still more user-friendly than PC.

Uh....just a general comment about warring, my man. Not trying to start some console vs PC fight.

I used to game on PC in the early 2000s, but since then I’ve grown tired of it all when it comes to PC gaming and switched to consoles and more recently, Steam Deck in addition. I don’t understand why multiple platforms on PC, including storefronts like EGS, are increasingly trying so hard to emulate the closed and exclusive spaces that consoles occupy.

They are effectively killing one of their biggest advantages they have over consoles, piece by piece.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I've taken for granted, it seems, that as a Nvidia GPU owner that I have the options for competing tech in games while AMD owners usually do not (outside of XeSS). Yeah, that's a bit shitty.

Uh....just a general comment about warring, my man. Not trying to start some console vs PC fight.
Yep. nVidia is the only one using their market dominant position to keep those features proprietary. Where as every other graphical feature under the sun, that is not nVidia, is open source. Same with DX12 vs Vulkan. Which unironically the latter performs better than the former in "stuttergate" and performance more often than not.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
It's more than likely a stipulation in the marketing contract that states "no rival proprietary feature focus, stick to open source that all can use."

Not much different than marketing contracts on consoles with the proprietary sub services.

nVidia can solve all of this by being open source on an open source platform.
I don’t see how that’s any different from paying them to not support their competitor’s feature.

Mister Wolf

Yet, their $1000 24GB 7900XTX trades blows in raster with the $1200 16GB 4080.

The only joke is this idea that this post is intelligent.

That's cool. What does it do in Cyberpunk with Raytracing maxed or Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition against a 4080? It's a joke, and that little $200 dollars extra isn't worth the massive loss in RT performance, losing access to the best Temporal Upscaler, and losing access to Frame Generation.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don’t see how that’s any different from paying them to not support their competitor’s feature.
Then don't sign the marketing contract. It takes two to tango. Nobody holds a gun to these developers heads.

nVivida should still be open source, instead of using their market dominance to lock software down. On the bragged about "open platform."

I am just baffled that people are okay with how nVidia conducts itself on an open platform. Great products, I would not, not purchase one, but I can criticize their unethical practices which force lesser competitors to "fight fire with fire."

Last edited:

TheBreezyBB

It honestly baffles me why the consumers are taking sides?!

The only concern we should have is, can i afford this.

Maybe one day this shit will actually benefit us.

winjer

Gold Member
BTW, Raytheon Technologies is rebranding it's company name to RTX.
So if anyone sees an RTX missile or bomb, don't be too surprised.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Nvidia answers the question, AMD doesn't that's the point.

What question exactly?

WCCFtech asked AMD to comment on their table.
AMD's comment on that table was that it isn't representative of the reality, and pointed out to the pcgamingwiki database.

To clarify, there are community sites that track the implementation of upscaling technologies, and these sites indicate that there are a number of games that support only DLSS currently (for example, see link).

Did WCCFtech ask AMD if their cross-promotion deals include blocking DLSS2? If so, can you show the source for it?

Topher

Gold Member
That's cool. What does it do in Cyberpunk with Raytracing maxed or Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition against a 4080? It's a joke, and that little $200 dollars extra isn't worth the massive loss in RT performance, losing access to the best Temporal Upscaler, and losing access to Frame Generation.

Personally, I'd love it if AMD could somehow match Nvidia in features and performance. I just really have a hard time investing in tech that always seems to be two steps behind.

willothedog

In general AMD is not bringing any new tech to the table (like Nvidia did with GW, physx etc.) but they are taking away players choice with upscalers. That's fucked up.
AMD did come up with Mantle which was rolled into Vulkan after they gave it to the Khronus group. Vulkan is a good API.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
I think that is thr XT version. Double check! If so that card is a no brainer at that price.
I'm actually taking about the XTX, Daniel Owens himself, the one who posted the video in the OP, had a video yesterday about huge price cuts on some GPUs on Amazon yesterday.

But that's probably some clearance sale since GPU prices have been steadily dropping prices these months since demand is not strong at current prices and stores accumulated stock.

Edit: Nvm you're right, it's the XT model... Both at below 800 already:

Last edited:
Top Bottom