• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As a minority how do you feel about living in America currently?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same as I've always felt since the beginning, that we will forever be viewed as the bottom of the barrel by a bunch of dumbasses.

So I continue to laugh.

Ronin

Shit has always sucked, and we've seen worse. I ain't ready to roll over and die though. In fact I have a far more positive outlook this morning than I expected and I'm ready to keep up the good fight. And I feel pretty good knowing that there are still many Americans that feel the same.

Laz-E-Boy

Prepping my self for stop and frisk. Other than that I'm personally fine.

It's good to get confirmation about this country though. I don't believe most people are racist/sexist/etc but they obviously are more than ok with letting it happen. It was apparent before but loud and clear now.

If things progress the way I think they will hopefully this will get minorities to wake up and see this country and most of its citizens for what it really is.

NandoGip

I'm a brown guy with black hair so I can pass for everything from Mexican to Muslim. I'm hoping things won't change much for me but I'm also very doubtful.

I'm just happy that Obama made it possible for my mother to become a legal citizen prior to Trump becoming elected. 25+ years in this country, 22 of them illegally, all the while paying taxes and avoiding gov't help due to her convictions. Thank god for the anchor baby laws!

I'm an Chinese immigrant who had lived in California for 22 years now. Trump being elected had made me feel physically uncomfortable, even a little sick throughout the whole night. but the worst thing is, I know a bunch of Chinese who live in the US and actually support Trump; and I'm 90% sure it's due to a mix of ignorance, selfishness and racism.

Chinese middle class has legit reason to vote Republican (AA). If you don't want to understand it you will never be able to have a dialogue with the other side of America.

Thoraxes

Pretty disgusted.

And depressingly thankful that even though my blood and name are hispanic, my skin isn't.

Man, fuck all of this. I'm like, legit wondering if I'll have to be showing my SS card and birth certificate sometime over the next year to prove I was born here.

As a black man it's business as usual for me. I'm used to being let down by the government at every level. I did vote for Hillary though.

Lime

I'm not American so forgive me if the answer is super obvious, but scared about what specifically?

Are we thinking death squads here? Repealing gay marriage?

I hear a lot of people wanting to leave the country, but compared to how things are right now, in what way specifically do we expect things to get worse for minorities already living in the US?

Although white supremacy is nothing new, see what happened after Brexit. Bigots are emboldened and will act accordingly. White people across all classes and ages hate minorities or at the very least are willing to accept bigotry - which is nothing new, this just confirms what minorities have already known for decades if not centuries. (I'm white myself, my partner is not.)

rpmurphy

I'll probably stick around with people I know are good. Can't trust the social climate now since [closet] white supremacists must be dancing.

Trump winning only validated the anxiety he had already given me during the course of his campaign. Hilary winning would've been better, but the racists who crawled out of the woodwork because of Trump wouldn't have magically vanished had she won. If anything it would've only emboldened them to fight harder.

Atleast black people are safe. I doubt they can get harrassed even more by the police

You lack imagination.

SpecX

As a black man it's business as usual for me. I'm used to being let down by the government at every level. I did vote for Hillary though.

Same here. I do feel a bit uneasy with the election results, but not making any sudden decisions till I see what unfolds.

I think it's pretty clear that all minorities should have one at this point.
The election of Trump more that likely legitimizes his supporters feelings about us.
This was very much an endorsement of white supremacy and it might become very dangerous for us.

You think you had police brutality before?

Gorillaz

Just another Wednesday being black

Now with all 3 levels republican and a president that believes he knows more then life long economic and social advisors along war generals.

Happy 4 years yall!

This country has had issues with oppression of all kinds and Donald Trump, nay President Donald Trump, is a symptom of that disease. As much as we like to say that our country is forward thinking and accepting, a good portion of its population is stuck in a past where racism and sexism is commonplace. I learned a lot about our people last night, and that's not really a good thing. I don't mind the Republican vote, but I thought we were better than this.

With that being said, as a Hispanic-American my day to day won't change much as I live in California, which is largely a liberal safe-haven. Most of my friends in the black community or LGBT community are in shock, more than anything else. No one is planning on leaving, though.

It's going to be an interesting couple of years. In his acceptance speech last night, we saw a more humbled Donald, and if we have to deal with him for 4 years I hope we deal with that version of him.

I could barely sleep. No one in my family will be watching the news; there won't be anything good. At least as a Californian, I should be insulated from whatever Trump decides to do, but I half expect a white person to glare at me when I go on a walk today, or even shout a slur at me. I never had that fear before.

captainpat

Lol, can't really any worse if you're black so I'm ok. That being said I'm a little disappointed. I used to roll my eyes at those tumblr posts that would make white people out to be all racists but now I dunno.

Can you elaborate please?

Not much to elaborate on. Look around in the OT.

Black, Native, and Hispanics people are fucking dying in the streets and are disenfranchised.

This election and the general analysis around here says that has never really mattered. Definitely not in comparison to white problems.

Our rhetoric is to blame. Our need for personal agency and calling stuff for what it is.

No, that's too much. We must coddle to white rural people. Despite the fact that the NYT outright showed white middle class folks voted for him.

We must bow to get scaps.

The same as I always have. It's just that I have to prepare for the possibility for it to be worse than it is now.

I'm more worried about my family if anything happens to them.

Xilium

Same as always. Literally nothing has changed. That may or may not change, but I imagine it won't.

Racist existing is nothing new and they have been speaking their mind on the internet for as long as that's been a thing. Only difference now is that they say it in public but they where always there, so whatever.

Bluntly put, I think too often liberals take the logic that since most racist are republicans, all republicans are racist. Whether they actually feel that way or not that is often the narrative that is relayed by the outspoken ones which I imagine is very off putting to white conservatives. Compound that on top of liberals mostly only giving lip service to POC and not actually having anything to show for it, this presidential outcome is not all that surprising.

Everything about this election cycle has been pretty hyperbolic.

frogger

Chinese middle class has legit reason to vote Republican (AA). If you don't want to understand it you will never be able to have a dialogue with the other side of America.

I am Chinese American, upper middle class. I am liberal and highly educated (PhD). I just could not agree with most of the policies of the Republican party. As a scientist , I am truly terrified by the direction of this country is going in relation to issues such as global warming.

R0ckman

Not much to elaborate on. Look around in the OT.

Black, Native, and Hispanics people are fucking dying in the streets and are disenfranchised.

This election and the general analysis around here says that has never really mattered. Definitely not in comparison to white problems.

Our rhetoric is to blame. Our need for personal agency and calling stuff for what it is.

No, that's too much. We must coddle to white rural people. Despite the fact that the NYT outright showed white middle class folks voted for him.

We must bow to get scaps.

I see now, just making sure I understood.

Yeah at my job (where what you said I feel was illustrated well) we had a talk about police relationships with blacks and not many white coworkers spoke out, the only two or three that did wasn't particularly great, one kind of just did a "white people have it hard too" personal story without directly saying it and the other thinks we are ticking time bombs because they felt we don't share our thoughts with them. When in fact they (the thoughts) are just ignored. The last one just represented the ignorant apathetic party.

Luckily, I got orders to Italy and my enlistment ends there. If I don't want to come back, I'm not coming back.

I already knew how America looked at me and my skin color. I'm not shocked. I'm just a little disappointed there's nothing more I can do.

I knew that a lot of America was uninformed and unsympathetic, but so many of them either voting for Trump or not voting to stop him was a pretty hurtful betrayal, all things considered.

There's a lot of talk about how minorities and left should be less divisive and confrontational towards right-leaning white people, but I don't see how that's ever going to be feasible going forward. A candidate basically ran on "I'll make your America great again by taking everything from people who don't deserve it", and those Americans waltzed up to the Left and asked "ya'll got a better offer?" like they were at a car dealership. They might've not wanted to round up all the illegal immigrants or ban Muslims, but they were willing to sell out my family and many of my friends at the earliest opportunity for promises that they knew Trump wasn't likely to keep.

And now after it's all said and done those Americans won't even own up to what they did or why. Don't hit me with that "well if only you asked nicely...". Please, don't.

Luckily, I got orders to Italy and my enlistment ends there. If I don't want to come back, I'm not coming back.

I already knew how America looked at me and my skin color. I'm not shocked. I'm just a little disappointed there's nothing more I can do.
Isnt italy like the worst western country to be in if you're black?

Uh, scared? I'm a black dude.

If I knew how to get out of the country or had the skills to do so (I have a M.A., but not in STEM), I would...except that my family is also here.

sajj316

Sick to my stomach .. as an Indian American (who is Christian), I will be confused w/ my Muslim brothers.

With one vote, racism and sexism has been institutionalized ..

I am Chinese American, upper middle class. I am liberal and highly educated (PhD). I just could not agree with most of the policies of the Republican party. As a scientist , I am truly terrified by the direction of this country is going in relation to issues such as global warming.

I know quite a few Chinese American who support REP in the west coast. A typical background is a silicon valley programmer with higher middle class income.

I live in east coast but I don't talk to alot of east cost Chinese online so I have no idea who they voted. AA is not as big an issue in NY.

Well I agree with you this country is going full Philippine or Idiocracy.

Squalor

Sick to my stomach .. as an Indian American (who is Christian), I will be confused w/ my Muslim brothers.

With one vote, racism and sexism has been institutionalized ..
Nah, they were already institutionalized.

This vote made them mainstream, though.

darkwing

I know quite a few Chinese American who support REP in the west coast. A typical background is a silicon valley programmer with higher middle class income.

I live in east coast but I don't talk to alot of east cost Chinese online so I have no idea who they voted. AA is not as big an issue in NY.

Well I agree with you this country is going full Philippine or Idiocracy.

not that I agree with all of his decisions but our President had a successful stint at being a mayor for several years, what about Trump?

muu

If I was brown or black I'd be terrified.

Being more yellow and living in a consistently blue state I'll continue my own thing. Most people you interact with will accept you for who you are, and people who you don't know who won't accept you have a limited impact in life. I have a family to feed and protect, and I'm not going to sulk and fret about America the TV Show and how it's going to ruin our lives. It won't because I'm not going to let it.

not that I agree with all of his decisions but our President had a successful stint at being a mayor for several years, what about Trump?

I think both Duterte and Trump are demagogues. But Duterte actually believe the (horrible) things he say and actually do them. Trump just say whatever to get elected. Trump has much higher power to fuck up the world though.

commedieu

Banned
It's just something made official we all ready knew. I do feel bad for Muslims, they're going to be targeted.

And people yelled at me for being a chicken little.

We all slept on how racist our country is. Man.

As a black, I avoid police daily. So unless there's a new effort, I'll just stay low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom