• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As Donkey Kong 64 turns 20, the devs reflect on its design, the infamous DK Rap, and how a shocked Shigeru Miyamoto created the Coconut Shooter

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. It's a phrase espoused by many in the games industry, particularly those who design and develop the titles that we play and critique.

For Donkey Kong 64, that analysis has been ongoing for two decades. Rare's 3D title is considered to be the perpetrator behind the downfall of collect-a-thon platformers. Plenty have been critical of Donkey Kong 64's vast amount of collectibles – comments that still affect those who poured their hearts and souls into it. Donkey Kong 64's dev team has long disbanded but, on the eve of its 20th anniversary, a feeling of 'what if' continues to dominate thoughts.

"There's a lot I would do differently," George Andreas, Donkey Kong 64's creative director tells me. "We would scale things down, make things look sharper, and focus on fewer things. I would have unified the banana system. That would have made it much easier for players to play through. I'd also promote more swapping between characters at regular intervals, but just having a consistent banana count, rather than multiple colours, would have improved things."

Though players only needed to collect 281 items to achieve its zany 101% completion, Donkey Kong 64's staggering number of collectibles – 3,821 in total – remains a world-record. The reason behind it, Andreas explained, was down to a certain bear-bird duo that had earned Rare another platforming hit 18 months earlier.

"Banjo-Kazooie had a lot of great things about it," says Andreas. "So one of the first things Tim Stamper – Rare's co-founder – told me was 'Make sure there's lots to collect'. I'd always go back to him and say 'Here's some' and he'd go 'No, more things'. We had to make it as much of a collect-a-thon as possible to help try and differentiate it."

That desire to distinguish Donkey Kong 64 from Banjo-Kazooie extended to its playable characters. The Donkey Kong Country series had become renowned for its playable double acts. With Banjo-Kazooie copying this format, a roster rethink and the inclusion of prominent Donkey Kong setpieces were necessary to help Donkey Kong 64 stand out.

Check the link for more.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Banjo is way better because it has more focus. I mean, more characters to play, but exclusive stuff to catch with those characters, and you have to be in a place to choose one of then?! Not well designed

But the DK Rap... That's priceless

Mato

I had fun with it way back in the day but I recall being annoyed by all the K.Rool cut scenes. There were so many of them and they all looked the same.

FeldMonster

I loved Donkey Kong Country 1, 2, and 3, and Banjo 1 and 2, but Donkey Kong 64 was awful. The DK rap is amazing though.

In retrospect, that was probably the beginning of the end to my enjoyment of Nintendo games and consoles, now I can't stand anything Nintendo related.

Last edited:

nkarafo

I never cared about the "more characters to play" mentality of DK64 or any other similar game. Just give me a nice world to explore at my own pace.

Also i love backtracking in games like Metroid but in this game it didn't make sense. Locking an important item behind the power of a certain character is one thing. Locking common collectibles by making them transparent so you can't pick them up if you have the "wrong character" is just bad game design.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
That was so nice to read, after all this time. I really should pick up a sub to Retro Gamer or something.

I’ve never actually played this game for more than a little bit - I should find a way to fix that. I realize that it’s not perfect, but it also seemed like there was a lot to love about the game.

Top Bottom