• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asda (Major UK Supermarket) to stop selling 3DS/Wii U

They barely bothered anyway. Same with Tesco and Sainsburys. Nintendo are lying face down in the UK gutter, rolling around in their own puke.

3DS shifts far less software at retail than either of the consoles. Even the PC beats it at retail. It's not that surprising.
Yep. DS games were lighting up the charts last gen. It's just PS/XB stuff these days. Nintendo is practically dead here in the UK.

It'll be interesting to find out the reason for this. Could Nintendo and Asda not come to a deal to carry product? Or is Asda pulling the plug due to low sales?

Considering it's both systems I'm inclined to believe the former, but I know several of Nintendo's detractors on this forum will be inclined to go with the latter...

It'll be interesting to find out the reason for this. Could Nintendo and Asda not come to a deal to carry product? Or is Asda pulling the plug due to low sales?

Considering it's both systems I'm inclined to believe the former, but I know several of Nintendo's detractors on this forum will be inclined to go with the latter...
Have you seen the sales charts? What's the point of stocking product that's not selling? It's not about Nintendo detractors. I'm not sure where you're based...but I'm in the UK and it has been plainly evident that the big supermarkets have been struggling here over the last few years due to cheap and cheerful competitors. The last thing they need on shelves is stock that people aren't buying. This is like the GameCube situation again, but much worse, especially in terms of Wii U. People have moved onto tablets and smartphones for their portable gaming fix.

Dizzy

Banned
I went today. No Wii U games at all and pretty much no 3DS games on offer. They had a few Wii games surprisingly but it was your typical licensed Disney crap.

I remember whwn they got rid of their Vita section though and even then it was nothing but fifa games or other such crap.

Yazoo91

Neo Member
Hardly surprising, my local ASDA has pretty much done this anyway, only ever see the occasional 2 years old and still overpriced 3DS game. Tesco has a couple of shelves for 3ds/Wii u games and they only order in the actual hardware if requested. Always just buy online.

Didn't ASDA said they dropped the Wii U in 2013?

Seems they drop it whenever sales are bad, then start selling them again when there's interest. Makes sense, since retailers in the end are all about demand, sales and profits.

I though they dropped it. I've not seen any Wii-U stuff in my local store ever. They never even stocked it at launch but they always have plenty of PS4's and Xbone's laying around. Also, Asda are way shit for gaming. A couple years back they were priced competitively but nowadays they're usually £10 more expensive than Amazon on every game. Stopped wasting my time on them in the end.

Part of the reason supermarkets have video game hardware at all is to pull people into the store to pick up a game or two and, hopefully, do a trolley of shopping while they do. A fantastic plan.

If no one is coming to pick up video game hardware/software, the device is of no use to Asda.

The consumer has spoken, the 3DS and Wii U just aren't a big enough "trolley pull".

Top Bottom