• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Shadows Release November 15, 2024

C'mon man, at least @ me or quote me StueyDuck StueyDuck
this game wouldn't have existed 5 years ago.
It would have, because like I showed before in this thread by listing some of their past titles, Ubisoft loves experimenting with their games. It's not my fault quite a few people here had a collective memory wipe once the DEI/SBI/Woke stuff started, like a clock suddenly reset.
5 years ago you would have played as a Japanese man
No, 5 years ago this would have tracked with their other dual protagonist AC games. If anything, this game is releasing much later than it should.
, much like how origins you played bayek for example.
Origins is before Odyssey and Valhalla. Stop using it as the sole pillar for your argument as it's hurting your argument.
there is going to be nothing unique about this game
and your are kidding yourself if you think there will be
The story has potential to be. Ubisoft can also screw this up. I'd say it's an honest 50/50.
it will be another AC game.
Pre-Origins AC, Post-Origins AC, or Post-Valhalla AC?
so what is your point with SBI and DEI? it literally does exist
Yes, they exist. However, they are not some illuminati over all of gaming. Consider the numerous amount of threads here where people bring in their concerns about both regarding games that have nothing to do with them. That's what I mean by boogeyman. They are taking up real estate. You are shadow boxing. And you're not even aware that you're doing it.
, but you want everyone to pretend like it doesn't, just because YOU don't care
No, I want to rationally look at a video game like a video game, first and foremost.
Again you wouldn't have seen it many years ago because DEI is new.
They aren't new :messenger_tears_of_joy: these concepts were around those 5 years ago. That's part of my point. They're new to you because you've just discovered them and now you're seeing them everywhere.
Have you actually read up on any of this stuff or do you really think it's just people who are like "Anti-vaxxers" and so on.
I did and I think it's a mix of both. There are valid claims where a multitude of writers have trouble and have gotten worse in the regard of not making political points or certain stances obvious. One of the worst moments of Avengers Endgame (A movie 5 years ago btw) was when the female heroes all posed for the camera. That's bad writing and direction for a moment that could have been done more organically. Writers have really been failing (some even failing upwards lately) and it sucks to see.

However, you have to keep in mind (and I've said this before) a lot of what you are seeing has already been ingrained in western US culture. LA, Seattle, etc where all of the creatives and tech minds are, were already doing these or going in that direction years, years before people knew about these three letter concepts/companies.
does yasuke really represent the era?
He represents himself within it, at least to a certain degree. Naoe will fill in the rest of that representation you crave.
so to you he's the pinnacle of a person who encapsualtes Japan during this period?
I think he is one half of a story, from an outside perspective looking in. Naoe is from the inside perspective looking out, the other half. It should lead to an interesting story if they do a good job of writing.
literally no one else to base a character off or god forbid just create a new Japanese character?
That's Naoe.
The man represents fuckall of japan, he was essentially curio, a funny thing kept around because it's strange, and by the way, he wasn't the only one either.
You're right. Hopefully they include some of the other ones too.
Many races were thought of that way by the Japanese during this period.
This will be an interesting subject to cover in the game.
we really going to pretend that Yasuke wasn't a pick for "modern audiences"
No. This game was rumored as a concept years ago. We don't even know who they had as a protagonist in their sketches and storyboarding back then. You think they made this game in one year? They have been working on this for multiple years and the AC that just came out was supposed to be DLC for Valhalla.
come on, now i know your taking the piss.
I'm not. You have a habit of making claim after claim with barely any proof nor do you even ask yourself the opposite question to make sure that you're not putting yourself into a conversational trap. If you want to be stronger with claims and conversation(and I prefer you be), you have to ask 'well why wouldn't' and 'why shouldn't' just to be sure of your statements. Instead, you see a catch-all answer and use that to answer every question. That would be the easiest multiple choice exam ever made. "The answer to every question is A" needs to be revised when you just take a minute to think about it.
Like Ubisoft aren't even trying to hide it themselves.
Because you're making an assumption.
My complaint has fuck all to do with why they are using him
Then why keep bringing him up?
, again you have to really have your head in the sand if you genuinely think this was just a fun passion project
Literally everyone, Ubisoft and fans, all wanted Assassin's creed Japan. They knew it was their magic bullet. This was discussed since AC3. That game was ages ago. You don't think this was a long time coming passion project? You don't think they'd want to try and do a good job with this game?

GudOlRub

simpatico simpatico 's take is bad on multiple accounts, as he forgot about this:

maxresdefault.jpg

For the guys here trying to latch on to the 'historical accuracy' train, you need to find a new train/goalpost to move to. AC has always been historical fiction. It means they have (and will) make shit the fuck up.
I'm still angry we didn't get a fully fledged Lydia Frye WW1 AC game, that little tease in Syndicate was so good and it had so much potential...
Origin's story was also amazing, then the switch to generic gender neutral Male/Female protag was the worst thing that has ever happened to the franchise...
With this one it seems they're going for a Syndicate dual protag gameplay-style again, but it's still baffling to me that Ubi don't have the balls to make a woman the single protagonist of a mainline AC game. It would have spared us from all this Yasuke MC shenanigans...

it's still baffling to me that Ubi don't have the balls to make a woman the single protagonist of a mainline AC game. It would have spared us from all this Yasuke MC shenanigans...
I'm sorry to say, I don't think it would have based on the current climate. I actually think that this is the best thing that could have happened for those who designed and wrote Naoe's story, because people are so laser focused on Yasuke that even if her story ends up bad or pandering, they might actually get away with it as everyone will be too busy nitpicking his story at every turn.

Pejo

Gold Member
Wish the girl was a Kunoichi. There's probably a much more interesting story to tell from that angle, on top of potential fanservice. We're probably gonna end up with just another generic ugly Mary Sue that does 99% of the same things that a male protagonist would do, but also does backflips because female so dexterous.

GudOlRub

I'm sorry to say, I don't think it would have based on the current climate. I actually think that this is the best thing that could have happened for those who designed and wrote Naoe's story, because people are so laser focused on Yasuke that even if her story ends up bad or pandering, they might actually get away with it as everyone will be too busy nitpicking his story at every turn.
Idk, I think one of two things can happen, either this actually causes enough of a big fuss that it turns people away from the game due to all the toxicity, or people just mostly ignore the controversies and the game sells like hotcakes (just like Valhalla). I'm betting on the latter option.
As for me personally, if what the devs are saying is true and you can play through the whole game as Naoe then I might give it a try. If we're forced to jump around between Naoe and Yasuke idk, I'll have to wait and see, I must admit I really don't like the idea of him being a protagonist, it feels so forced to me in this particular context...

Stafford

That interview hits all the right notes for me. I want a legit stealth experience.

Unfortunately, this is AC, so I'll keep my expectations low.

Yeah that's probably best for now. The stuff about seasons does sound damned good and if it truly works that way....it might even be a game changer. I'm sure we'll see it during Ubisoft Forward.

Spacefish

Almost 20 different entries in this franchise and every single one had a made up main character that interacted with historical figures. All of a sudden it becomes necessary for the main character to also be based on a historical figure? This is pretty conspicuous. Also happens to coincide with the one isolationist, hyper homogenous setting where many would have pointed out it was incredibly weird to have someone who wasn't either native Japanese, Dutch or Portuguese, in a franchise where every entry had 1 or both MCs be native to the population or in very rare cases heavily represented among the subgroups who were present and influential to that time and place.

You can only come to 1 conclusion, woke writers were desperate for a black protagonist and knew there would be backlash because its such an awkward fit, they used yasuke as a shield from criticism and chose to hide behind plausible deniability. "well AC was always based on history, we couldn't pass up the opportunity to use a man who interacted with so many important figures" Ezio doesnt exist because he was actually a man who was best friends with davinci and who actually beat up the pope.

Whether its a game about Yasuke or not isn't really my core concern, its that the game is obviously being written and directed by people who care more about creating propaganda and fighting petty culture wars than creating good art, these people are by nature too stupid to rise above ideological possession and so, too stupid to write a compelling narrative, their priorities are upside down and the story is going to be shit.

Z O N E

The Japanese are calling it out in the Youtube comments too.

Google Translated comments:
As a Japanese person, I really wanted to play as a Japanese samurai.I personally don't dislike Yasuke, but it's sad that he seems to have been robbed of the opportunity to play as a Japanese male samurai.
When I looked at the interview with the producer, he said that the reason why he chose Yasuke was that he was looking for "our samurai," that is, someone who could be seen by us who are not Japanese... which made me laugh.
In particular, I think it would have been better if Yasuke had played an active role as an ally side character like before. I don't understand why it was necessary to put him, who actually existed in history, in the lead role unlike before. And that too when the stage is Japan.
I feel that there is no particular respect for Japan.
For the first time in the Assassin's Creed series, I firmly decided not to buy this.It's an insult to Japan and Japanese culture.
When I hear "Japan's Sengoku period," I don't think of black people at all.
As soon as Japan becomes the setting, they change the main character to a real person (lol).I must have searched desperately. Yasuke, who is not even a samurai, was forced to become a samurai. There is no such evidence left.

There are also a lot of comments praising Ghost of Tsushima for how they showed off Japan.

Some of the posters in this thread need to go correct these xenophobic Japanese commenters. They should just be happy they even got the sidekick ninja lady and hush.
Don’t worry too much, I have a feeling Ghosts of Tsushima 2 is very close to a reveal. There will options so that everyone wins.

peish

I am offended ubisuck chose to pair a random black guy with a japanese lady, instead of having both being japanese leads.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
We got Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess coming out this year, how's that grab you?
I actually really like aesthetics and visual design of that game but not biggest fan gameplay style they going for.

it kind reminds me of Rampage Quest in MH Rise which I wasn’t biggest fan of despite liking Rise.

Gravemind

As a former assassins creed fan, absolutely nothing about this interests me at all. I'm probably one of the few people that have never been interested in feudal Japan as a setting. I'll be passing on this one like I did with Syndicate and Rogue.

I laughed when I saw the black Sumurai. I get he actually existed, but... just funny.

Last edited:

rob305

Ubisoft have no shame, and they decide to announce this in the middle of Asian Pacific Heritage Month 😳😳 so much for asian representation

Surprised Fire GIF

Me coming back to this thread after talking with my roommate about the game
Yep, every single time. Expect future AC Shadow threads to have hundreds of GAF posts, tweets, and youtube videos of people arguing over Yasuke.

It will be the Eve/Stellar Blade of this fall. It will be a great time for other games with their own bad news to slip under the radar.

Kilau

Gold Member
It's Assassin's Creed. Perfect historical accuracy has never been a staple of the series. Especially in Odyssey and Valhalla. Funnily enough Yasuke is actually the most historically accurate protagonist AC has ever had, considering he is the only one to have even existed.

Interesting they chose now to pick a historical protagonist.

As a former assassins creed fan, absolutely nothing about this interests me at all. I'm probably one of the few people that have never been interested in feudal Japan as a setting. I'll be passing on this one like I did with Syndicate and Rogue.

I laughed when I saw the black Sumurai. I get he actually existed, but... just funny.

I’m still a huge AC fan, but this one is not exciting me at all. Feudal Japan isn’t a setting that I find particularly interesting either, and the main characters are…interesting choices. This might be the least excited I have been about a mainline AC actually.

Last edited:

GooseMan69

Japanese men are considered “privileged” by the blue hair crowd, on the same level as the evil white men. Not surprised they went out of their way to not include one as a protagonist.

The creators of this series couldn't understand irony if it hit them in the face.

Yasuke is the real-life, literal, material incarnation of a token black man... both in his experience in Japan and his legacy.

The dude was literally a trophy banded around by Oda Nobunaga. And the only reason such a character in the annals of history is even notable, given that we know actually next to nothing about him, was that he was black.

So he was a literal, real-life token character in history... and these woke game devs thought, "I know how to avoid making a game with a tokenized minority. We'll pick a literal tokenized minority from history".

Fuckinng geniuses!/s

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
The creators of this series couldn't understand irony if it hit them in the face.

Yasuke is the real-life, literal, material incarnation of a token black man... both in his experience in Japan and his legacy.

The dude was literally a trophy banded around by Oda Nobunaga. And the only reason such a character in the annals of history is even notable, given that we know actually next to nothing about him, was that he was black.

So he was a literal, real-life token character in history... and these woke game devs thought, "I know how to avoid making a game with a tokenized minority. We'll pick a literal tokenized minority from history".

Fuckinng geniuses!/s
Don’t speak the obvious truth! You are supposed to defend it like your corporate overlords and ideological cult demands!

MayauMiao

Fuckinng geniuses!/s

Historically the very first DEI hire.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Brother can’t catch a break.

I’m playing the Japanese waifu either way.

Nioh boss Yasuke

First thing that came to my mind.

I'm personally not bothered by the whole thing, but I understand why Japanese gamers are upset.

It'll take me years to get to this game anyway. There's just too many of these to keep up with.

I've completed all of them 100% except Rogue, Odyssey, Valhalla and Mirage.

Will pick up those last three over the next year or two, and by then, Shadows will probably be heavily discounted.

ZoUfdjv.jpeg

Japanese ain't taking it well.

Anyone who approves of the main protagonist is racist towards the Japanese people. Yes, I went there. If a white dude would've played in Origins, people would lose their shit. How is this allowed? Its insanity and pandering and racism. Fuck Ubisoft. Please quote me defending this game so I can know who to block.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Anyone who approves of the main protagonist is racist towards the Japanese people. Yes, I went there. If a white dude would've played in Origins, people would lose their shit. How is this allowed? Its insanity and pandering and racism. Fuck Ubisoft. Please quote me defending this game so I can know who to block.

Don't block people who have a different opinion. That's beta behaviour. Instead, try and have a rational debate, or just let people have a different opinion and don't engage.

You said that anyone who supports this protagonist is racist against Japanese people, and that people would be equally angry if it was a white man.

But what about Nioh where you play as a white samurai? I do remember some people claiming it was another example of the "white saviour" trope, but there were very few and nowhere near the backlash this game is getting. Why did Nioh get the pass but this AC doesn't? Serious question.

But what about Nioh where you play as a white samurai?

Nioh was made by japanese devs, it was their choice at the very least, but I hated it. Nioh 2 is the only great game in the series. This example is not even in the same ballpark as the Ubisoft one. However if AC Shadows was developed entirely by Ubisoft Japan(?, assuming they have a branch) then I'd be ok with it.

EDIT: Wow this gets worse, they DO have a studio in Osaka and there is no info of their involvement. Yeah, my stance remains.

Last edited:

EDMIX

The defending of this Ubisoft game is staggering. Not sure where the thirst is coming from.
? Yea, probably from people who just play fucking video games bud.

Not all of us give a shit about like 90% of what this thread is crying over.

I just play games....

Will play this.
smh..I don't know what to say man, some of you legit need to stop forcing this shit on this site. Not everything is a hill to die on, some of us just play games for them being games.

Not political statements or religious statements or what ever you think about this lol I'm starting to think you'll cry if you find out I played GT7 because the of the harmful environmental effects of cars and CO2 gases in the Ozone.

Be like "ZOMG, ..HOW IS THIS ALLOWEEEED!!? INSANITY! Pandering to the EVIL ICE Engine! Oil complexes!"

Sir, are you telling me its impossible for someone to buy this game and play it and liking it has nothing to fucking do with what you are talking about? Thats like me saying you like Call Of Duty because you are racist and support such things, yup, that MUST be why you like games..../s

But what about Nioh where you play as a white samurai?

This.

I don't recall a single fucking thread talking about any of that to this degree. It was like.....ok, iiiiitttttts a fucking game bud. Move on lol This happens and people are making it sound like playing the game is now some deep stance on mass murder and rape lol

The Cockatrice The Cockatrice "it was their choice" annnnnd its the choice of this teams bud.

Just stop man. Don't like it, don't play it.

Come back to us when we can just talk about games man, this is just so silly its not even funny. We can't keep forcing this virtue signaling for like every fucking game lol Next thing you know you going to tell me you only play non-suffering, or SFG games (Suffering Free Games) lol Be like "Ok, did you make sure all the devs have no hate in their hearts? Ok good, did you make sure they are GMO free? Cause that is a deal breaker for me" lol

Last edited:
Sir, are you telling me its impossible for someone to buy this game and play it and liking it has nothing to fucking do with what you are talking about?

The more we have the "whatever Ill accept it and take it in the ass" mentality the worse games will get. The same mentality happened with season passes, microtransactions and other shit and now all of that shows up in SINGLEPLAYER games. Grow some balls and play other stuff instead of your generic AAA cancer.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Nioh was made by japanese devs, it was their choice at the very least, but I hated it. Nioh 2 is the only great game in the series. This example is not even in the same ballpark as the Ubisoft one. However if AC Shadows was developed entirely by Ubisoft Japan(?, assuming they have a branch) then I'd be ok with it.
Sorry that doesn't make sense to me, it doesn't matter if the devs are Japanese or western, they are all free whoever they want to put in their own games.

I mean Japanese devs also made lot of game that based on western setting, they also free to do whatever they want in the game.
metal_wolf_chaos_art.jpg

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Nioh was made by japanese devs, it was their choice at the very least, but I hated it.

Interesting point.

Why did you hate the protagonist in Nioh? He was based on William Adams who was a real person.

Nioh 2 is the only great game in the series. This example is not even in the same ballpark as the Ubisoft one. However if AC Shadows was developed entirely by Ubisoft Japan(?, assuming they have a branch) then I'd be ok with it.

EDIT: Wow this gets worse, they DO have a studio in Osaka and there is no info of their involvement. Yeah, my stance remains.

Looks like the Osaka and Tokyo studio were actually involved in making this game. Does that now change your stance knowing Japanese developers helped make this game?

Top Bottom