• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin’s Creed Infinity will ‘stay true to the franchise’s legacy of rich narrative experiences’

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Speaking during the publisher’s first quarter earnings call on Tuesday, Ubisoft’s chief financial officer Frédérick Duguet called Infinity “an exciting and ambitious project for the franchise”.

He also said Ubisoft is “committed to staying true to the DNA of AC, meaning that we come with high quality narrative experiences”.

Duguet added: “Regarding the project codename Infinity, we have exciting plans for the future that have the potential to significantly expand both the brand’s reach and the recurring profile while holding true to Assassin’s Creeds’ legacy of rich narrative experiences.

“It is in the early stages of development and we will share more details in due time.”

ZoukGalaxy

Gold Member
Sure Jan.gif

Fedex heavy narrative confirmed.

False promises like Bethesda with Fallout 76.
Then later: *introducing Battle Royal mode with heavy mtx "convenient" items and Fallout FIST subscription*

Thanks, no thanks UBI. Keep your g(a)as.

Last edited:
I'm really excited for this, especially after finishing Valhalla's main story. It sets up a great place for the story to take off from in seemingly any direction. The series has pretty much gone live service since Odyssey, so this will give us a platform for constant story updates. I want to go everywhere I possibly can in history: China, India, Ancient Rome, Mayan Empire, Nazi Germany, Feudal Japan, Spanish Inquisition, Cold War Europe, and a return to the Middle East with 1st and 2nd Crusades. Give us everything Ubi as the Reader keeps searching..

Animated GIF

I have full faith in Ubisoft doing the franchise justice moving forward and totally making the game better and better as they dive into GAaS systems for their games.

Absolutely total faith.

Stuart360

Gold Member

Interresting, but i'm surprised they are changing the new open world RPG formula with how successful Origins, Odyssey, and Valhala have been for them (there best selling franchise now).

EDIT. Oh it says they are also still making open world AC alongside Infinity. Cool.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Wait, AC has a narrative?

Seriously, the story in all the AC games I've played was mostly excuses to go from A to B and not anything anyone would actually care about. So I think in that sense they are right. It will most certainly hold up these standards.
This post nails it. It’s a fetch quest simulator.

iorek21

I think Infinity could be a good platform for our long time complaints about this franchise: the lack of stealth focused games, lack of story, lack of Assassins, lack of playable Templars, return of old favorites etc.

It could also bring in less famous settings or new time periods in already stablished settings (like another story in Egypt, but during another dynasty).

EDMIX

Interresting, but i'm surprised they are changing the new open world RPG formula with how successful Origins, Odyssey, and Valhala have been for them (there best selling franchise now).

EDIT. Oh it says they are also still making open world AC alongside Infinity. Cool.

yea I was about to say the same thing until I read that last part lol

So looks like they'll have the old school formula in this Infinity thing and that it does have some linear single player thing like the older games and the other teams will still make the open world semi-rpg ones. I'm happy to hear they'll remake some of the older ones, I don't know how to feel about it being IN Infinity as I don't fucking know what that means just yet lol I'm expecting them to remaster or remake Unity though like we saw the other AC titles remastered last gen.

A hidden gem that I think deserves a remaster to correct what was going on in that game when it launched. I think its a great idea to split the series as I like the semi-rpg open world ones, but I understand what the fans feel with not getting the linear old school concept. I personally fucking hated that series during the PS3 gen as I didn't like the first game, thus skipped the rest, played IV and actually liked it, played Origins and Odyssey after they came out and like it way more then the original stuff etc, so I'm happy both concepts can exist as I feel it should not have been an either or in the first place. Its not like we haven't see series split before so I don't get why they didn't just do this last gen tbh, they had an engine and everything after Unity and Syndicate.

martino martino well...to be fair, they did say they will still do the open world ones as that sounds like it will be done by the same teams. Like this is something else, its not made to replace that concept.

Last edited:

Zok310

Banned
Damn, have not touched an ass creed game since 2017. Fair for me to say that ubi have done everything possible to lose my interest in ass creed years ago. I guess that’s a job well done:

martino

martino martino well...to be fair, they did say they will still do the open world ones as that sounds like it will be done by the same teams. Like this is something else, its not made to replace that concept.
the good effort on unique crafted situations they created in Valhalla exploring the world where a huge plus making this world alive and plural...
I fear (not the best feeling i know) an even more gaas model will not favor this step in the right direction
And this kind of move require lot of mean of production only AAA open world can make.(or star citizen if it ever deliver enough content)

Last edited:

Stuart360

Gold Member
arent people sick of this series? did valhalla sell really well?
Its barely been out of the NPD top 10 since launch, and is no.2 best selling game of the last 12 months so far -

c2raxgkh1on71.png

Its also Ubisofts largest selling franchise currently, and AC had its best ever year according to their financials a few months ago.

Shame they won't stay true to the franchise's legacy of stealth-focused gameplay mechanics. Stealth in Valhalla is still broken after all this time.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Shame they won't stay true to the franchise's legacy of stealth-focused gameplay mechanics. Stealth in Valhalla is still broken after all this time.

Pretty sure thats exactly what Infinity actually is.
The Open World AC games will still exist and will be coming out at their usual intervals.
Infinity is closer to the older titles, and will get mission drops that are developed outside of the open world games.

For me thats a win/win.
Ive lost interest in the Open World AC games, but I know a ton of people IRL who love them cuz they are so massive....these are people who play like 2 games a year so these massive massive AC games work for them.

As for me.....just give me Unity 2 pushing graphics to infinity in more carefully crafted levels/missions so I have reason to be stealthy.
I hate that the open world ACs basically dont reward you for perfect runs instead want to be played as beat em ups.

sobaka770

Banned
Considering how they butchered the modern storyline and the fact that both Valhalla and Odyssey had very ho-hum generic stories - that shouldn't be a hard feat to replicate.

AC needs to do so much better in story department.

Laptop1991

The story won't make me play this online service Assassin Creed and i play them a lot, more than any other games in the last few years, it's obvious Ubisoft wants a GTA online, and i will miss both the stealth and open world games personally, i didn't play them for the stories, and they wern't that great anyway.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Ubisoft is over, they don't have the magic of 2000_2010 years anymore, all the super passionate and talented people left the company a while ago already.

Yes because those record breaking sales show people dislike their games and clearly no one can have passion or talent at Ubisoft now, those games are being made by accident /s

Ubisoft bashing is out of control IMO. Can’t wait for this personally - sounds like a smart move for the series and hopefully means we can get regular content updates. I think more and more games will take this approach moving forward.

SSfox

Yes because those record breaking sales show people dislike their games and clearly no one can have passion or talent at Ubisoft now, those games are being made by accident /s
I don't care how much they sell. The games of moderne Ubisoft are dogshit imo.

Last edited:
AC Origins burned me out heavily on the franchise. I liked it well enough but it's a ponderous game. I still haven't touched Odyssey, which I bought on some steam sale, and have no plans for even starting to think of maybe planning to consider buying Valhalla.

I'll casually glance at information about infinity, sometimes. That's the extent of what I can promise, Ubisoft.

EDMIX

I don't care how much they sell. The games of moderne Ubisoft are dogshit imo.

Ok sir, but that is your opinion, you know not of the passion, talent or effort of their developers now.

I dislike many games, what I don't do is start disrespecting the developers personally as if they have zero talent.

Huevos de Oro Huevos de Oro Its hard to say really, I liked Origins, but many people like Odyssey more. I played it for a bit but just didn't have time to go thru it like I did Origins.

One day lol

I'll buy Valhalla when I can get it below $20 and I have some time to care about it, I've heard good things by people on here.

Last edited:

Fbh

So it will be just as bloated and repetitive, they'll continue having some of the worst writers in AAA gaming AND now with the very real possibility of "fun" new GaaS elements like grinding and even more repetition.

YAY!.

Its hard to say really, I liked Origins, but many people like Odyssey more. I played it for a bit but just didn't have time to go thru it like I did Origins.

One day lol

I'll buy Valhalla when I can get it below $20 and I have some time to care about it, I've heard good things by people on here.
Oh yeah for sure. I loved Aya in Origins, and Kassandra really strikes my fancy so I'm sure there's plenty to like about Odyssey. It's only when I remember about how origins went on and on and on AND ON that I get a bit discouraged about starting an even bigger AC game. I need to be in the right mindset.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
rich narrative and Assassins Creed? AC2 had some cool moments and the series has beautifully crafted open worlds with a lot of historical events, sure, but damn that's a cap. The narratives were never that good.

Valhalla is the last AC game I will buy. I’m done with that series, it’s just such a bloated game that’s lacks any real focus.

Moving to a live service game is just going to expand on the things I dislike about the series already.

Maybe getting away from the open world will get me interested again. The first few Assassins Creed games were focused more on the characters that you needed to assassinate. Not like an endless checklist of cliche bad guys but actual characters with sound motives. Where you questioned weather you were maybe the bad guy for killing them.

Top Bottom