• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

wouwie

JudgeN said:
They were improving engine for the 360, what makes you think they were improving it compatibility with the PS3?

Mostly the fact that the Prince of Persia engine ran very well on PS3. And the fact that Sony got the rights to advertise (which, i realise, is just a commercial aspect). Don't know really... Good question. As a ps3 only owner, one can always hope, can't he?

Anyway, let's hope for the best. Still very much looking forward to this game :)

wouwie said:
Mostly the fact that the Prince of Persia engine ran very well on PS3. And the fact that Sony got the rights to advertise (which, i realise, is just a commercial aspect). Don't know really... Good question. As a ps3 only owner, one can always hope, can't he?

Anyway, let's hope for the best. Still very much looking forward to this game :)

They are quite different games though. Although PoP was open world, it wasn't really to the scale of AC, and more so, because the game had that cell-shaded style, there isn't as much stress on performance because the textures wont take as much memory up. Then take into account all of the crowds and mission data floating around the AC world, you have a very different game.

PoP is like a super stripped down Assassins Creed, which is why it ran so much better.

Ranger X

KennyLinder said:
They are quite different games though. Although PoP was open world, it wasn't really to the scale of AC, and more so, because the game had that cell-shaded style, there isn't as much stress on performance because the textures wont take as much memory up. Then take into account all of the crowds and mission data floating around the AC world, you have a very different game.

PoP is like a super stripped down Assassins Creed, which is why it ran so much better.

Most of time people look at a game like AC2 (or GTA4) but they REALLY don't realise how much AI is running on those games. It's EXTREMELY costing.

jett

D-Member
From what I've seen personally the PS3 port runs much better than the original, with a much more stable framerate. I so wish the PC version hadn't been delayed, then I wouldn't care about any of this. :p

Graphically I think there's less detailed stuff in general compared to the original game. The textures on the characters seem to be blurrier than the ones in AC1. Maybe Ranger X can correct me on this? :p

I find it strange that Ubisoft is showcasing the game mainly with the PS3 port, though. Sony moneyhats at work, I guess.

Loudninja

jett said:
From what I've seen personally the PS3 port runs much better than the original, with a much more stable framerate. I so wish the PC version hadn't been delayed, then I wouldn't care about any of this. :p

Graphically I think there's less detailed stuff in general compared to the original game. The textures on the characters seem to be blurrier than the ones in AC1. Maybe Ranger X can correct me on this? :p

I find it strange that Ubisoft is showcasing the game mainly with the PS3 port, though. Sony moneyhats at work, I guess.
Guillemot also revealed that a deal was signed at the beginning of 2009 with Sony on marketing of Assassin's Creed II, which will see TV adverts relating only to the PlayStation edition of the game - an agreement that will see more activity "than would have been possible otherwise," he added.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/assassins-creed-ii-pre-orders-up-80-percent-on-original

Ranger X

jett said:

I didn't play much AC1 because I didn't really like the game so I cannot tell if it generally runs better or worse.
But there definetely is an increase in matter of textures, objects and stuff going on. Don't forget everything involved by the day-to-night cycle too. There's more shaders too (coolest ones on the water imo) + reflections and such things you don't see in AC1. Also, while there's no "shadows while in a shadow" (like AC1 and all games made with that engine so far), they applied some "pucks" under the characters. (you know, those old school shadows that aren't necessarily the character's shape). Prince of Persia didn't have those and it made the characters looking more like they were floating when in shadows.

There might be other things but that's what's been apparent to me in general.

youzen

2u6zbrc.gif

When I look at that one pic that's all i see.. Man, most of the female faces in Assassin's Creed are ugh...

Septimus

Wait, so the main storyline this time is 20~ hours without getting all the collectible stuff? Fucking awesome if so! For me, the longer the game, the better. (Especially for single player only games.)

I REALLY hated AC1. I have no idea why I decided to finish the game, maybe I was just so bored that year with games that I just tortured myself. I am completely turned off by the series and this one looks ehhh.

Maybe I will bite once its $20 and read a good LTTP Thread on this game to convince me. I think I am burned out on open world games in general now too.

timkunedo

ok, so i broke down and watched quite a few of the streams posted earlier. MY GOD my hype meter is off the charts! Glad to see Ubi payed close attention to the critics of the first game. Next week can't come soon enough.

RainbowByte

Neo Member
jett said:

Anvil (formerly known as scimitar) is a cross platform engine - calling the ps3 version a port would be woefully incorrect. The character+environment shaders are more complex than AC1.

i have a friend in ubisoft which the ps3 is done and already out to employees. he already finished the game and he said one of the best game he's ever played. this coming from a guy who didnt care for ac1.

one thing he mentioned is how you can buy different outfits and some are just bad ass

RainbowByte

Neo Member
macfoshizzle said:
i have a friend in ubisoft which the ps3 is done and already out to employees. he already finished the game and he said one of the best game he's ever played. this coming from a guy who didnt care for ac1.

one thing he mentioned is how you can buy different outfits and some are just bad ass
Yes the clothing dyes are fun, different colors are available depending on the tailor shop locations (cities/villa). Theres different capes as well

Loudninja

RainbowByte said:
Yes the clothing dyes are fun, different colors are available depending on the tailor shop locations (cities/villa). Theres different capes as well
By they way please tell me that the game does not have repetitive speeches? They would not shut up in AC1.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Concept17 said:
Yes, lets base this off one guy's hour long impressions, when another whose played it for hours discredits him. I'm certain the complaints are coming from someone whose a little over-sensitive when it comes to things like FPS, tearing, and bugs, as it is with most of gaf to begin with.
I think it's completely fair to point out such flaws as they CAN be important to some people. What's the alternative, cover them up (I'm sure this is what the publishers would prefer).

Ranger X

macfoshizzle said:

Your friend must be really cool because I personally don't have my courtesy copy and all the people around me in the office right now neither do...

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
KennyLinder said:
They were different in AC and they are different in ACII. The sequences feel like they're made by different teams!

No, they aren't. It's the same controls. Trust me on this one.

paparazzo

Welp, despite the negative "impressions" I pre-ordered the PS3 version from Amazon with the $5 off coupon, making it $50 and got $10 video game credit with free release date delivery. :D <3 Amazon. I think this is the first game I've ever pre-ordered so here's hoping it doesn't disappoint.

MattKeil said:
No, they aren't. It's the same controls. Trust me on this one.

OK, perhaps they are the same, but its awfully slow treading through the present-day levels just to get to the machine from the bedroom etc.

jrricky

Banned
Im trying to see if this sequel deserves another chance, but the OP doesnt help at all. Is everything that was wrong with the first game fixed in this one? And no, reviews wont make me buy this game at all...

Costanza

Banned
jrricky said:
Im trying to see if this sequel deserves another chance, but the OP doesnt help at all. Is everything that was wrong with the first game fixed in this one? And no, reviews wont make me buy this game at all...
Ranger X said:
-Fight revamped, multiple types of ennemis, lot more weapon
-Grab system, disarm and counter isn't always easy because each type of ennemi must be beaten with different strategies
-Economic system - upgrade Ezio with armor, weapons, items, dye your clothes
-Character progression is much more present and evident
-No more investigation, it's entirely story-based with "mission givers" character just like GTA4
-Full of extra stuff do to that actually matter for something. (gathering money, upgrading your villa, collecting lore, etc)
-Villa upgrade (kinda a fable gameplay here)
-Catacomb levels (optional areas where it's more Prince of Persia style platforming). They give you a very nice bonus too
-Better faster climb
-More crowd reactions/behaviors
-Smoke bombs
-All the types of missions you see in GTA type games (chase, follow, fetch, assassinate, collect, race, etc)
-Blend is completely revamped
-You can hire different kind of friendly NPC to help you like Mercenaries, Courtesans and Thieves and you command them stuff to do.
-You can swim
-Cities are not similar like the first game
-Country side IS useful and there's even missions in it.

Seriously, there's alot of new stuff. It really is what the game ever should have been.
^

kaskade

I read the review in the Playstation magazine. I was on the fence about buy it. Right after I read it I opened the amazon app and preordered it with release date shipping. Fuck Yes.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
mission variety is really the sticking point for me, i think. finding ways to make each situation seem unique and organic, rather than just a set of motions that you inevitably have to go through to reach the point of assassination, is really integral to making AC2 better than AC; i'm sure others felt this way and have expressed it, but the setups for each part of the investigation just sort of blurred together. the motivation and characters and the way the web of information all seemed very unimportant, and were ultimately thinly veiled excuses to make you pickpocket a guy or go somewhere and sit on a bench. the game was telling me things about people, or about what i should know, but none of it seemed to stick, and i just didn't care much. the assassination targets were another story--especially that corrupt doctor, holy hell i wanted him dead--but the smaller targets for the investigations didn't have much personality behind them.

i hope that these auxiliary characters during the in-between assassination gameplay are more interesting, as i imagine you spend a lot of time dealing with them in one way or another.

mileS

BruceLeeRoy said:
Yup. Everything I have seen so far hasn't convinced me they have fixed the major flaws of the first game. I really am hoping my intuition is wrong though.

This is strange because pretty much every interview about this game does nothing but explain how much they have listened to the complaints about the first game and fixed them. No more repetitive missions blah blah etc.

mjc

beelzebozo said:
mission variety is really the sticking point for me, i think. finding ways to make each situation seem unique and organic, rather than just a set of motions that you inevitably have to go through to reach the point of assassination, is really integral to making AC2 better than AC; i'm sure others felt this way and have expressed it, but the setups for each part of the investigation just sort of blurred together. the motivation and characters and the way the web of information all seemed very unimportant, and were ultimately thinly veiled excuses to make you pickpocket a guy or go somewhere and sit on a bench. the game was telling me things about people, or about what i should know, but none of it seemed to stick, and i just didn't care much. the assassination targets were another story--especially that corrupt doctor, holy hell i wanted him dead--but the smaller targets for the investigations didn't have much personality behind them.

i hope that these auxiliary characters during the in-between assassination gameplay are more interesting, as i imagine you spend a lot of time dealing with them in one way or another.

Absolutely. I could see past the technical hiccups in AC1 but the repetitive side missions were sucking all the fun out of it after a while. So long as they deliver on fixing that problem they can have my $60 as far as I'm concerned.

bridegur

After thinking the first game was just decent and the sheer terror of Prince of Persia, I'm going to approach this very cautiously.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
must... resist... urge... to... buy... on... day... onnnnnne

OmonRa

beelzebozo said:

Beelzebozo I can all but guarantee your concern about mission variety is addressed (x10000) in the sequel. In AC1 after you do your first assassination in Damascus, the rest of the game (bar the very beginning and very end) are the EXACT same. It's not the case in AC2. At all. Each sequence (AC2's version of memory blocks) plays out differently. Organically. There is no strict cycle of bureau - investigate - assassinate. It's way more free form. You don't know what comes next. Hour 1 does not play like hour 2 does not play like hour 3.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
OmonRa said:
Beelzebozo I can all but guarantee your concern about mission variety is addressed (x10000) in the sequel. In AC1 after you do your first assassination in Damascus, the rest of the game (bar the very beginning and very end) are the EXACT same. It's not the case in AC2. At all. Each sequence (AC2's version of memory blocks) plays out differently. Organically. There is no strict cycle of bureau - investigate - assassinate. It's way more free form. You don't know what comes next. Hour 1 does not play like hour 2 does not play like hour 3.

does this positively contribute to the feeling that the things you're doing follow logically from the characters involved, and that the mission is a result of the situation and not artifice? i hope that's clear--what i'm asking, to put it bluntly, is if you would look at the characters and situation logically as a player and be able to conclude that this kind of mission is the one you're undertaking because that's what would be necessary. i think these sort of micro-narratives were pretty lacking in the first game, for all its strengths; the investigations were sort of uninteresting to some degree because you lacked a sense of purpose or investment, not because the missions themselves were weak.

OmonRa said:

:firecum:

OmonRa

beelzebozo said:
does this positively contribute to the feeling that the things you're doing follow logically from the characters involved, and that the mission is a result of the situation and not artifice? i hope that's clear--what i'm asking, to put it bluntly, is if you would look at the characters and situation logically as a player and be able to conclude that this kind of mission is the one you're undertaking because that's what would be necessary. i think these sort of micro-narratives were pretty lacking in the first game, for all its strengths; the investigations were sort of uninteresting to some degree because you lacked a sense of purpose or investment, not because the missions themselves were weak.

Yes every mission is driven by the story and the characters involved in a given situation and not by an artifical need to recycle the same 3 types of missions over and over again.

Ridley327

rainking187 said:
Says so on the website.
http://tiny.cc/GVjcA
If anyone happens to head to Best Buy to pick this up let me know if the code is actually in the preorder box so I'll know if I should drag my ass over there.

All of our initial copies of the game have the code inside the box. Unless you feel paranoid about the game's hype, I don't see why you'd need to pre-order.

First game had fucked up repetitive mission design. I can understand why people were so pissed off. There was no replay value because by the time you finish the game, you'd have played it 9 times already. It was one of that instant where you think "what the fuck were they thinking?". I still can't understand how designer with any experience in the industry can come up with that.

That said, I rented it and I really loved it. Atmosphere and concept was really neat. Combat was simple but it was cinematic. Was very easy though.

With all improvements in AC2 mentioned in previews so far, it might be the game AC could have been.

Ranger X said:
Your friend must be really cool because I personally don't have my courtesy copy and all the people around me in the office right now neither do...

Just curious, are you working in tech or in PR at Ubisoft?

Top Bottom