• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Wii U version thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it certainly looks good. I probably won't be picking this up because the series has never been able to keep my attention. I'll likely get Watch_Dogs for the Wii U though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Looks the same as the PS360 versions. Wonder if it runs more consistently? The framerate on the other versions is rather unstable.

JoeM86

Despite the delay in Europe, I'm waiting even though it puts it in the middle of a load of games like Zelda and Mario.

The Wii U version does look phenomenal, like part way between PS360 and PS4 level. I've been looking forward to this game for a while, as the naval parts of AC3 were my favourite bit.

I just hope Ubisoft reconsider their DLC stance. I was looking forward to grabbing it.

Looks the same as the PS360 versions. Wonder if it runs more consistently? The framerate on the other versions is rather unstable.

I've heard it does :)

Zalman

It looks better than 360/PS3 graphically, as expected. How does this game use the GamePad other than displaying a map?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
BGzxQi3ImUFm

There are some PS3 v.s. PS4 videos with this point of the game showed, IIRC. A comparison with Wii U as well could be possible, right?

patientx

Guys if Watch Dogs can achieve this kind of quality that will be my first pre ordered wiiu game. If only people actually previewed it before they start sellng.

Hermii

Can't wait for more comparisons, IIRC the Wii U version of AC3 was far from being the best port against the PS360 ones, hope Ubi will step their game up with this one.

Just the fact that its not a launch game should make it a better port than AC3 Wii U. Its developed on final dev kits with better tools.

Draconian

Wow. This looks great. I need to go back and beat AC 3, but I know now to pick up this version when I get around to this game. Great idea for a thread, OP.

JoV

It does look really good. Was watching the stream up before and the environments look like they will be great to explore.

Pity the combat looks as god awful as always, but I will probably pick up a copy anyways just for the fun of sailing around and discovering stuff.

fernoca

Subscribed! Getting mine (hopefully) by Saturday.

BTW, I saw the Wii U version at EBGames yesterday in Canada, and it was the Signature Edition.

What is it?
I did, but there was no mention about its contents. Splinter Cell Blacklist Wii U also had a special (forget the name) edition. I looked at the regular edition, ZERO difference on the back.

Edit: SCB Wii U Special Edition:

http://i.minus.com/iiLLqSfc9HuX1.jpg

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/t...versarial-multiplayer-thread.453280301/page-5

Uploader said this one just came with DLC?

Weird as AC4 Wii U apparently has no DLC? Maybe they'll add it later, it took them awhile to put out AC3's DLC apparently.
Gamestop/EBGames were selling (like with previous AC games) editions with preorder extras. Which were:
The Deadly Black Ship, Legendary Silver Flintlock Pistols used by Captain Morgan, and Captain Morgan’s costume, picture, and title.
The code is inside the game/case.

Other retailers were doing the same. I preordered from Amazon, and (like with Splinter Cell) they sent me a code to unlock the 'Hidden Mystery Pack'.

Codes are redeemed in-game, so is not actual DLC.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
it looks good, I hope it runs smooth too.
Gamepad is light in this game as it was in AC3, but Offtv and map are still better than nothing in decinding (for me) which version (PS3 or Wii U) pick up.
I'll wait a bit, tough: for framerate comments but also for spare time and money lack in this moment.

dark10x

Guys if Watch Dogs can achieve this kind of quality that will be my first pre ordered wiiu game. If only people actually previewed it before they start sellng.
Watch Dogs is a more interesting case, I think.

Assassin's Creed IV was built with last generation machines in mind with some visual features bolted on for PC/PS4/XB1. That's not to say what was added isn't cool but it doesn't really change the overall look of the game that much.

Watch Dogs, on the other hand, was being created with next-generation machines in mind. I'm very curious to see how they scale it down for PS360 and Wii U.

Hermii

Watch Dogs is a more interesting case, I think.

Assassin's Creed IV was built with last generation machines in mind with some visual features bolted on for PC/PS4/XB1. That's not to say what was added isn't cool but it doesn't really change the overall look of the game that much.

Watch Dogs, on the other hand, was being created with next-generation machines in mind. I'm very curious to see how they scale it down for PS360 and Wii U.

Maybe it will take better advantage of Wii U because it is made with things like out of order processing in and 32 mb esram/ edram in mind from ground up?

dark10x

Maybe it will take better advantage of Wii U because it is made with things like out of order processing in and 32 mb esram/ edam in mind from ground up?
It absolutely could. It really all depends on how much effort UbiSoft is willing to put into each version of the game.

MilkBeard

I'm also curious to see how this version performs. If there wasn't a next gen version then I'd definitely get the WiiU version. But because I'm getting a PS4, I'd rather get the version that is graphically superior.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Subscribed! Getting mine (hopefully) by Saturday.

Gamestop/EBGames were selling (like with previous AC games) editions with preorder extras. Which were:

The code is inside the game/case.

Other retailers were doing the same. I preordered from Amazon, and (like with Splinter Cell) they sent me a code to unlock the 'Hidden Mystery Pack'.

Codes are redeemed in-game, so is not actual DLC.
But you till need an internet connection, don't you? I think it's just the usual on-disc-dlc, isn't it?

Azusa

I was waiting for this thread. Now I can preorder this game without regrets. It's a shame that Wii U version is delayed in Europe.

its time for these engines or whatever to work on hair effects... it hard to look at the character models they dont look good at all to me.

I'd rather they worked on stable frame rates than add extra effects to slow things down even more.

I think it looks fine, this might be my first AC but it's a toss up between Wii U and PS4 so i'll wait before ordering.

Its a shame people seem more academically interested than they are in actually purchasing. It'll likely tank as all games have been and will be a swan song for third parties on the console. Shame really, as its super good.

If it makes you feel any better I bought this and Batman on Wii U. Hell I think my 3rd party titles on Wii U outnumber my 1st party ones.

dark10x

Its a shame people seem more academically interested than they are in actually purchasing. It'll likely tank as all games have been and will be a swan song for third parties on the console. Shame really, as its super good.
What do you expect, though? The game is being released across so many different platforms. For anyone with a powerful PC or the intent to buy one of the new consoles it would be hard to stay away from those versions.

Vitor711

X360 is 9.6GBs
PS3 is 9.96GBs
Wii U is 14GBs
PS4 ???? looking for info

That should at least tell you something.

It could just be audio or video files in high quality (doubtful) or in other languages (possible). Really doesn't mean anything but one can hope for improved textures.

Shauni

Unless the Wii U version of Watch Dogs gets canceled, that'll probably be the 'swan song' of 3rd party games, so to speak.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Yeah, that's too bad. It seems like a real good port.

Well, I will do my part and buy it when it will be finally released in Europe, just shortly before Mario 3d World.

Mr-Joker

Banned
The game looks pretty good and I can't wait to buy it, alas I am waiting for the game to drop in price as Ubisoft game tend to drop in price very quickly.

I also can't wait for Watch_Dog either.

Holy fuck this game is expensive on Wii U

65€ what the fuck???!??!!

And Ubisoft wonders why their game on the Wii U don't sell well. ¬_¬;

Show me with examples. You can't just say it clearly has better textures and graphics without any evidence.

MmBkPNZ.jpg

Wii U version clearly has better textures than the 360 version and matches PS4 version. Heck looking at it again, it looks sharper than the PS4 version, only by a little though.

prag16

Banned
MmBkPNZ.jpg

Wii U version clearly has better textures than the 360 version and matches PS4 version. Heck looking at it again, it looks sharper than the PS4 version, only by a little though.

The Wii U screenshot is direct feed while the other two are stills from HD youtube captures iirc. That doesn't mean the Wii U version doesn't look better than the 360 version (I think it still does even after mentally adjusting for the discrepancy) but the playing field isn't level in that comparison.

i am not saying it is or isnt but 4GB difference is kind of big is it not?

Hell yeah it is. It's a massive difference. I HAVE to think it indicates better textures, but that could end up being incorrect.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
MmBkPNZ.jpg

The most interesting difference here is that clearly the game it's more fun on the Wii U.
Look at him...LOOK AT HIM!

Pharaun

I'm getting my family a WiiU as a Christmas present this year and definitely getting this game for myself. I'm definitely liking what I'm seeing so far.

I'll most likely be getting Watch_Dogs on the WiiU as well since I won't be getting a PS4 until late next year sometime. I really hope that these sell well enough for Ubi to justify doing more WiiU ports.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Unless the Wii U version of Watch Dogs gets canceled, that'll probably be the 'swan song' of 3rd party games, so to speak.

it likely was going to, though the delay changes things.

i don't know what 'im expecting,' or what they'd consider good, but i'd certainly like to see a minimum at 10% adoption rate. but that would make it like, at the top selling of games given the crappy sales record for the system, so it really depends how good the systems holiday is

fernoca

But you till need an internet connection, don't you? I think it's just the usual on-disc-dlc, isn't it?
Yeah. (to both questions :p)

In prior years they also sold the retailer/extras as a DLC bundle which was just an unlock key. Sadly, with no DLC planned for Wii U at the moment; who knows.

Shauni

it likely was going to, though the delay changes things

The delay changes it how? You were referencing ACIV as the swan song, right? Watch Dogs being delayed only changes that it would be more so?

We're still getting Child of Light next year, which looks really good.

Right, but I think he was referencing more like AAA titles. There's going to be 3rd party titles still on the Wii U after these games, but it's looking doubtful that we'll see anyone of the "blockbusters" for the system after Watch Dogs next year (assuming it won't get canceled, which I doubt it will).

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
it changes it because it might actually come out now, heh.

are people going to buy it though? who knows.

AC still has a larger sale potential on the console in my mind, just given the size of the brand.

EDarkness

it changes it because it might actually come out now, heh.

are people going to buy it though? who knows.

AC still has a larger sale potential on the console in my mind, just given the size of the brand.

I think Watch Dogs has a good shot of really doing something on the Wii U. It's new, doesn't have a real fanbase, and may gel better with the Wiipad. I actually know a few people who are looking to buy the Wii U version for the Wiipad features. It would be in Ubisoft's best interest to not skimp on that front. I have my copy pre-ordered and will be there day one in any case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom