• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity - PC Performance thread

Seanspeed

Banned
Aren't PS4 and XB One games programed with with 6 cores in mind? Shouldn't that that translate over to the PC as well? This will be the first "next-gen" only game I buy, so I interested in performance difference between 6 and 4 cores (but I am guessing there wont be much of a difference).
It depends on how the PC port was handled. And if it was taking full advantage of the console's CPU in the first place.

So far, a few games have scaled well with 6 cores. Others haven't.

I am assuming that four cores already would be able to max out the game and that people are being limited by their GPUs. It is possible that six cores would give better performance, but since resolution/aa/effects don't have an effect on your CPU you can't do much with the extra performance.
Not a safe assumption that people are all going to be GPU-limited. That would also depend on what sort of settings they've got chosen.

Its entirely possible(theoretically) that somebody running 40fps average with a 4 core could gain 5-10fps with a 6 core CPU and then spend that extra performance on more GPU intensive settings and get back to the performance they were at before.

It just depends. I wouldn't rule out the game being very CPU heavy, though.

Kezen

Banned
Which games utilize multi-core processors well? Some light-Googling hasn't produced a good list.

Lords of the Fallen, Battlefield 4, Crysis 3, Ryse, Watch Dogs, Hitman Absolution, Civilization V, Civilization Beyond Earth, Thief (with Mantle).

orava

It looks very bad here..too flat and blurry.

o_O

It looks like the material shaders are more or less ok but could do with more highlights and stronger specular mapping. This should really bring up the detail in the surface. I hope this is something that could be modded in.

Skyzard

Banned
acu2014-11-1019-57-297cs0x.png

I'm pretty sure this was a closeup after a synchronization at a peak. Like it spanned the city, then zoomed on this, which would explain a lot.

Not 100%. But it reminded me of something I saw on the stream.

Teletraan1

Banned
Some people hate tweaking settings. I fucking love it. I like getting a new game and finding a spot where the framerate drops to the lowest point. Then I try changing settings to find which ones have the biggest impact on performance. I'll tweak until I get my target framerate and then I'll be done and able to play with the lowest graphical compromise to achieve the performance I want.

The only thing I hate about tweaking setting is that I have bad settings at the beginning of every game. I usually try to go conservative at first now but I wish they made the tutorial section of every game really taxing, just to let you tweak settings without really missing anything.

danm999

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=885444

This should be linked in the OP of every PC Performance Thread.

Great post. I guess it's easier to throw up your hands and yell "shitport" than to wait for all the pertinent information to flow in and make a calmer, more contextually based assessment.

Granted, the game might end up being a shitport, but a single set of specific options applied to the game isn't going to get us to that conclusion, especially when patches are being added with this frequency.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Durante said:
Considering that in addition to the framerate difference (and I doubt the console versions will maintain a stable 30 FPS)
Again, I was referring to hypothetical running both unlocked - not the end-user-experience Ie. if we're going to throw in computational variables one should also compare stats that aren't measured completely differently.

Loris146

Yep, port seems to be fine. PS4 runs @900p/30fps with some drops below 30... A good gaming PC runs the game @ higher settings in 1080p @ ~50fps. Somehow this sounds reasonable to me...

Also the stream chat asking him about a cracked EXE all the time is pretty funny.

Yes stream chat is asking him all the time to play around with settings so we can get a better look about how seetings scale performance wise. I bet some fellow GAFers are helping with this. :)

Oh okay. :)

Durante

Again, I was referring to hypothetical running both unlocked - not the end-user-experience Ie. if we're going to throw in computational variables one should also compare stats that aren't measured completely differently.
For your hypothetical to be meaningful one must assume that the console versions reach significantly beyond 30 FPS for a meaningful amount of time. I think that's exceedingly unlikely, considering that we have seen them drop frames below 30 FPS. And it also doesn't address the fact that we also have significantly more and higher-quality pixels being pushed on PC.

You are right though that we can only make quite rough comparisons considering that we can't run the console versions unlocked, or know exactly what settings they use compared to the PC version. But based on the information we have, it doesn't look like the PC version shows particularly bad performance compared to the consoles.

Rip

Damn, this thread is hard to read with almost every other post being some guy strolling in reading the first post and tossing in his 2 cents of bullshit.

Qassim

The first post needs updating, because people are looking at that and concluding on what is:

1) The game in a pre-release state (Ubisoft has two patches ready for launch, OP only has one of them installed, 1.2.0 also addresses some performance issues that he doesn't have installed)
2) Those results were on non-game ready drivers for Unity

Because at the moment, people are just reading that first post and coming to the wrong conclusions (based on the data we have).

The first post needs updating, because people are looking at that and concluding on what is:

1) The game in a pre-release state (Ubisoft has two patches ready for launch, OP only has one of them installed, 1.2.0 also addresses some performance issues that he doesn't have installed)
2) Those results were on non-game ready drivers for Unity

Because at the moment, people are just reading that first post and coming to the wrong conclusions (based on the data we have).

Mod abuse or new thread if OP does not comply?

For your hypothetical to be meaningful one must assume that the console versions reach significantly beyond 30 FPS for a meaningful amount of time. I think that's exceedingly unlikely, considering that we have seen them drop frames below 30 FPS. And it also doesn't address the fact that we also have significantly more and higher-quality pixels being pushed on PC.

You are right though that we can only make quite rough comparisons considering that we can't run the console versions unlocked, or know exactly what settings they use compared to the PC version. But based on the information we have, it doesn't look like the PC version shows particularly bad performance compared to the consoles.

killzone and infamous both drop below 30 fps but run unlocked at 40 to 45 fps average, so it is in the realm of possibility.

Kezen

Banned
killzone and infamous both drop below 30 fps but run unlocked at 40 to 45 fps average, so it is in the realm of possibility.

Neither are anywhere near as big in scope as Unity though. I very much doubt either console versions runs at 45fps average.

Some 4K screens I found. Friend of mine took them. Running SLI 980s w/ 3930k @ 4.8Ghz. Averages about 30-40fps with the game maxed.
wMqILau.jpg

Ast11VO.jpg

cxby13F.jpg

ayTos9I.jpg

He's taking more pictures now, so i'll post them as quick as i can.

Better? Updated the OP, I'm sorry that I dont have time to constantly monitor the thread. So yeah, I complied.
Good stuff! Thanks!
Some 4K screens I found. Friend of mine took them. Running SLI 980s w/ 3930k @ 4.8Ghz. Averages about 30-40fps with the game maxed.
wMqILau.jpg

Ast11VO.jpg

cxby13F.jpg

ayTos9I.jpg

Please tell your friend to get a better hosting solution. (Flickr, Abload, Minus)

wMqILau.jpg

Ast11VO.jpg

cxby13F.jpg

ayTos9I.jpg

Tell him for the love of god to not save them compressed or have them uploaded to ac ompressor.

Pretty please.

Those are some DAMN good scaling in SLI...especially before launch.

Would you mind asking your buddy to get some benchmarks w/ any AA or with FXAA? I have a pair of 780 TI and would love to get a rough estimation of how it will run in 4K.

Naedtrax

Banned
I'll put up my thoughts on 980 SLI @ 1440P w/ G-Sync once the game unlocks in my region, unfortunately it's the opposite of COD : AW, in that i'm getting it nearly 2 days late vs a day and a bit early lol

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Durante said:
I think that's exceedingly unlikely, considering that we have seen them drop frames below 30 FPS.
That depends eg. I'd consider +/- 5ms variance a decent stability and that already covers ranges between 23-30 to 30-43 (on extreme ends).

But based on the information we have, it doesn't look like the PC version shows particularly bad performance compared to the consoles.
I don't disagree there - I suspect PC version still has more single-threaded pressure (the usual API/driver limitations - also very common with Ubi games to date) and potentially offloads some of the compute to CPU(this is a guess, depends on how long they really spent on this port) but most gaming configs can absorb that at least to the point of parity.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
After reading through the thread and watching the stream I'm pretty happy with the outcome. My 780 should do a good job with it.

Nice, that's fairly good performance at 4K. I think I'll be happy at 3200x1800. Can you ask your friend how the CPU load is across all cores?

I'll post my performance marks sometime tomorrow.

UrbanRats

wMqILau.jpg

Ast11VO.jpg

cxby13F.jpg

ayTos9I.jpg

Dude's face has like no texture, but otherwise it looks great.. although it's imgur and all.

G-sync monitor baby. I'll be pretty happy if it stays in the 40-60 range on my 970. I'm ok with lowering one or two minor settings to get there.

ISee

Last update from PC stream as I do not want to keep spoiling the game for myself.

i7 4790k @ 4GHz
GTX 970 (Gigabyte G1)
8 GB System Ram

Game is now set to Ultra settings (max settings) with PCSS shadows.
1080p.
FXAA
no Vsync.

The game runs at 40 - 50 fps in Paris (ground level free running) with drops to 35 fps (very high npc density). CPU load is at 60%. But keep in mind the guy is streaming without any kind of special hardware. FPS without streaming/recording should be higher.

60 fps with mixed high/very high settings + high shadows instead of PCSS shadows etc. seems to be possible

Dr Dogg

http://i.imgur.com/wMqILau.jpgIMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ast11VO.jpgIMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/cxby13F.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ayTos9I.jpg[MG]
He's taking more pictures now, so i'll post them as quick as i can.[/QUOTE]

Hmmmmm those GPU usage numbers aren't inspiring. 77% and 83% and not hitting a locked refresh target doesn't bode well for scaling. I wonder what patches are in the works.

Top Bottom