• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity - PC Performance thread

Kezen

Banned
At this rate I'm starting to think tessellation has been canned as suggested by Jasec.
What a shame. Beta screenshots were extremely promising.

heringer

What do you guys use as AA? Game looks so much better with TAA compared to FXAA. With temporal AA I get 30-36 FPS 90% of the time, sometimes it goes over 40 and sometimes it dips to low 20s (mainly cutscenes). Is that expected for a 970 with i5 4460 and 8gb ram?

With FXAA I get better performance, but it never averages closes to 60. My guess is that it would average at 40-45 FPS, hitting 60 only occasionally.

I'm still in the beginning, the city just opened up. Does it get much heavier later on?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I just use FXAA. I was using 2x MSAA at first but FXAA does a better job overall, plus there's virtually zero loss of finer texture detail compared to the former.

What do you guys use as AA? Game looks so much better with TAA compared to FXAA. With temporal AA I get 30-36 FPS 90% of the time, sometimes it goes over 40 and sometimes it dips to low 20s (mainly cutscenes). Is that expected for a 970 with i5 4460 and 8gb ram?

With FXAA I get better performance, but it never averages closes to 60. My guess is that it would average at 40-45 FPS, hitting 60 only occasionally.

I'm still in the beginning, the city just opened up. Does it get much heavier later on?

txaa

Evo X

I'm using FXAA. It does an amazing job relative to the performance cost. I'm also running 2560x1440 on a single 980 so I can't afford to use TXAA without tanking the framerate.

heringer

I'm using FXAA. It does an amazing job relative to the performance cost. I'm also running 2560x1440 on a single 980 so I can't afford to use TXAA without tanking the framerate.

My problem with FXAA is that the game is smooth when traveling on rooftops, but as soon as I see a crowded area the framerate tanks into 30's territory. TXAA holds up better in those areas, maintaining the same 30 something framerate. I would rather have consistency.

Evo X

My problem with FXAA is that the game is smooth when traveling on rooftops, but as soon as I see a crowded area the framerate tanks into 30's territory. TXAA holds up better in those areas, maintaining the same 30 something framerate. I would rather have consistency.

I have a GSync monitor so I don't really notice that.

Guffers

I've given up trying to tweak this anymore, on my 4670k at 4.4 and single 780 I can't get close to a locked 60 without lowering settings way down.

I've settled on maxing the game (high textures and fxaa) at 1080p and locking to 30. Cutscenes still have a habit of dropping down to 15-20fps though.

I'm guessing ubi soft designs these games around 30fps? Anyone else on a single card able to get 60 locked?

Corpekata

Banned
I have a GSync monitor so I don't really notice that.

It shouldn't be dropping to 30 at 1440p with FXAA anyway on a 980. But you'd probably notice a dip to 30s on Gsync. Anything below 45ish and I do, at least. Thankfully AC Unity pretty much never went below there for me.

On a 970 you shouldn't be dipping that low unless unless maybe your CPU is not overclocked or you're past 1080p in resolution.

heringer

It shouldn't be dropping to 30 at 1440p with FXAA anyway on a 980. But you'd probably notice a dip to 30s on Gsync. Anything below 45ish and I do, at least. Thankfully AC Unity pretty much never went below there for me.

On a 970 you shouldn't be dipping that low unless unless maybe your CPU is not overclocked or you're past 1080p in resolution.

I have a i5 4460, stock. Playing in 1080p.

But I don't think it's uncommon. Every 970 video I watch the game goes below 40 FPS in crowded areas with TXAA.

Corpekata

Banned

I have a i5 4460, stock. Playing in 1080p.

But I don't think it's uncommon. Every 970 video I watch the game goes below 40 FPS in crowded areas with TXAA.

Oh sorry I thought you said it was dropping to 30 even with FXAA

Anyone else on a single card able to get 60 locked?

It's possible on a 970/980 if you run SSAO and high shadows instead of PCSS, 970 maybe use next setting down from ultra texture. I prefer to play it at 1440p or 1620p all ultra cap at 30.

It is nice to play at 60fps though, combat is quick and responsive.

Anyone else on a single card able to get 60 locked?
*raises hand*

i5-4670k (default 3.4GHz)
8GB RAM
Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
1080p
Environment Ultra
Texture Ultra
Shadows: High (avoid PCSS!)
HBAO+
FXAA
Bloom ON

Running the latest NVIDIA drivers 347.52.

Biggest improvement came with January NVIDIA update (347.25). Game runs amazing since then.

I'm running 60FPS locked with a single card in gameplay, with some drops during cutscenes, every single setting maxed out @1080P with FXAA.

Specs:

i7 4790K @4.6ghz
EVGA GTX 980 FTW (Factory OC'ed by close to 200mhz)
16 GB DDR3
Samsung Evo 840 1TB
Asus Z97-A Motherboard

heringer

I just watched this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNvA7TkC888

Something must be wrong with my rig. I have a i5 4460, gtx 970, 8gb ram and I don't get anywhere near those framerates. With FXAA he's getting 70 fps+ sometimes while I get mostly 40-50. Granted, I haven't overclocked anything, but that can't be the only reason?

When he tries MSAA 8x he even get 30 fps. With the same option I get less than 10 fps.

I'm not sure what to think about the tessellation patch...
Ubi don't directly say if it's coming or not but they keep saying to keep an eye on the GeForce web page for news about the tessellation patch.

"For further details about the Assassin's Creed Unity tessellation update stay tuned to GeForce.co.uk."

"Since's it's an Nvidia feature - and not a game one per say, we have to wait until it's ready to be released by Nvidia."

Ubi Forum

I guess there's still a slight bit of hope for it coming out...

Kezen

Banned
I'm not sure what to think about the tessellation patch...
Ubi don't directly say if it's coming or not but they keep saying to keep an eye on the GeForce web page for news about the tessellation patch.

"For further details about the Assassin's Creed Unity tessellation update stay tuned to GeForce.co.uk."

"Since's it's an Nvidia feature - and not a game one per say, we have to wait until it's ready to be released by Nvidia."

Ubi Forum

I guess there's still a slight bit of hope for it coming out...

I wonder what is taking them so long.

SliChillax

Got this game today and it performs really well for how it looks. i7 2600k 4.5Ghz, 16Gb ram and GTX980 at 1350Mhz at 1440p using FXAA and it feels really smooth. Haven't used Fraps since I have a Gsync monitor the framerate drops aren't really noticable. The game looks simply stunning and it seems that the horrible LOD issues I fixed by reinstalling the game to my SSD instead of using the HDD.

Edit: Some Imgur pics
cJpvdtD.png

GWtPyDc.png

JaseC

If there's no 1.06 branch on Steam three weeks from now I don't think there ever will be (1.05's appeared roughly two-and-a-half weeks after 1.04 hit).

Well, here we are (I'm a day late) and there's been no change. That coupled with The Crew being in the process of being patched again and Far Cry 4 being patched six days ago suggests to me there's going to be no 1.06 update. RIP tessellation -- we hardly knew ye.

Edit:
Got this game today and it performs really well for how it looks. i7 2600k 4.5Ghz, 16Gb ram and GTX980 at 1350Mhz at 1440p using FXAA and it feels really smooth. Haven't used Fraps since I have a Gsync monitor the framerate drops aren't really noticable. The game looks simply stunning and it seems that the horrible LOD issues I fixed by reinstalling the game to my SSD instead of using the HDD.

Edit: Some Imgur pics
cJpvdtD.png

GWtPyDc.png

Going from Unity to Rogue resulted in my first "generation shock" moment; the difference is staggering, although to be fair Rogue straddles an awkward visual line that sits somewhere between 3 and Black Flag despite the PC port being in development since at least last June.

dEvAnGeL

after a few months without playing the game i decided to get back in it, i downloaded the latest nvidia drivers, 347.88, i don't know if this include any performance optimizations for this game but for some reason now i can turn everything to the highest setting except AA, that i have it on FXAA and my game runs at a locked 30 frames, places where my frame was going down to the teens and that was having the Environment Quality and shadows on medium, so something changed and i definitely restarted the game after changing the settings on the menu to make sure they properly changed, been playing for a few hours now and lock 30 at all times

i7 2600k at 4.2 Ghz
GTX 770 4GB
8GB ram @1600 MHz
Windows 7

ramshot

Apologies for bumping an old thread.

I'm expecting a sale on AC Unity soon, with the announcement of the new one being out. I'm interested, but at the same time not interested if I can't achieve a solid, locked 60.

So, simply. Will this do @ 1080p? I don't mind giving up settings outside of resolution and texture quality to get my locked 60, but I do mind if it's not rock solid.

3570k @ 4.2Ghz
GTX980 @ +150/+300
16 gigs 2133mhz
Win 8.1

I realize this is a somewhat high end rig, but this is not a humble brag. Everything I read back at launch implied that a locked 60 was difficult with big crowds even with the most highend rigs. Has that been fixed?

HooYaH

I'm expecting a sale on AC Unity soon, with the announcement of the new one being out. I'm interested, but at the same time not interested if I can't achieve a solid, locked 60.

So, simply. Will this do @ 1080p? I don't mind giving up settings outside of resolution and texture quality to get my locked 60, but I do mind if it's not rock solid.

3570k @ 4.2Ghz
GTX980 @ +150/+300
16 gigs 2133mhz
Win 8.1

I realize this is a somewhat high end rig, but this is not a humble brag. Everything I read back at launch implied that a locked 60 was difficult with big crowds even with the most highend rigs. Has that been fixed?

You should be able to run the game at max settings at 60fps using FXAA. Do not use MSAA or TXAA as I think the latter is way too blurry for my tastes.

Jelle

Running at 60 fps @ 1920x1200 at all times during gameplay. Cutscenes have slowdowns, but I don't care and I guess there's hardly a way around that.

Done by limiting AA to FXAA and not using the nVidia PCSS shadow option. Everything else maxed.

On a 4770K @ 4,2GHz, GTX 980, old SSD and 16GB 1600MHz RAM.

3570k @ 4.2Ghz
GTX980 @ +150/+300
16 gigs 2133mhz
Win 8.1

you will have to drop hardware aa and nvidia soft shadows for a 100% locked 60 during gameplay

Does anyone know if the tessellation patch is actually going to be released at any point? Very annoying how it's just been quietly brushed under the carpet, especially seeing how Ubisoft has screwed up so badly. I reinstalled the game a few days ago, and I'm getting worse performance, more stuttering, more pop in and more bugs than when I played the game on launch day - and that's with a new CPU and Windows install, too. Sigh..

pa22word

While this is bumped, has anyone tried this on a 980ti yet? Mine is coming in later this week, and I'm curious as to how everything pans out in this game given how badly it beat down my 780, lol

Does anyone know if the tessellation patch is actually going to be released at any point? Very annoying how it's just been quietly brushed under the carpet, especially seeing how Ubisoft has screwed up so badly. I reinstalled the game a few days ago, and I'm getting worse performance, more stuttering, more pop in and more bugs than when I played the game on launch day - and that's with a new CPU and Windows install, too. Sigh..

im pretty sure the tessellation patch is canned

Yeah, and it looks like it's the same story with Patch 6 too. A shame, seeing as I've had nothing but trouble with the game. My saves have become corrupted/deleted 4 times now - meaning I've lost over 50 hours of progress in the game. I think it's the best AC since AC2 (when it works), but I'm really pissed off at how broken the game is.

leng jai

Yeah, and it looks like it's the same story with Patch 6 too. A shame, seeing as I've had nothing but trouble with the game. My saves have become corrupted/deleted 4 times now - meaning I've lost over 50 hours of progress in the game. I think it's the best AC since AC2 (when it works), but I'm really pissed off at how broken the game is.

Shame, I was tempted to get this from GMG for $25. Guess I'll just give this a pass until it's super cheap.

Shame, I was tempted to get this from GMG for $25. Guess I'll just give this a pass until it's super cheap.

Yes, it'd b best if you waited. I'm apparently on the worst end of the spectrum of poor luck people have had with the game, but even if you're lucky, you're still going to have a lot of problems with the game regardless - problems with are universal across all platforms and versions and that Ubisoft is seemingly not going to fix. Maybe 15 dollars might be a good price. But, in my opinion, it's just not worth 25, and certainly not its full price.

blado

Trying the game out with my new Gtx 980 TI at ~1400 core clock. My CPU is a 3570k at 4.4GHz. No matter what settings I change the fps drops into the low 50s in crowds. I guess this game is just too much for most CPUs, lol. Anyone know any tricks to improve CPU performance in this game?

Kamina

Golden Boy
They are working on AC Syndicate.

golem

Trying the game out with my new Gtx 980 TI at ~1400 core clock. My CPU is a 3570k at 4.4GHz. No matter what settings I change the fps drops into the low 50s in crowds. I guess this game is just too much for most CPUs, lol. Anyone know any tricks to improve CPU performance in this game?

I have a 3770k @ 4.8 and SLI Titan X's. Can hold 60fps in crowds with 2xMSAA at 1080p, so dont think its necessarily CPU limited?

blado

I have a 3770k @ 4.8 and SLI Titan X's. Can hold 60fps in crowds with 2xMSAA at 1080p, so dont think its necessarily CPU limited?

I switched to 1080p, and while my average FPS is higher, I'm still getting identical dips in FPS in crowded parts of the city to around 47-53 FPS. I'm assuming it has to be related to CPU performance.

daninthemix

Thought I'd bump this with my own notes on locking at 30. A locked 60 was off the table, way too many frame-drops and fluctuations (this would be a great game for G-sync).

- half-refresh standard v-sync produced perfect frame pacing but caused significant input lag.
- borderless windowed combined with a 30fps cap resulted in much less input lag but noticable microstutter.
- half-refresh adaptive v-sync, somehow, for some reason, produced less input lag than standard half-refresh v-sync.
- this last point was subtle, perhaps even placebo, but half-refresh adaptive seemed to have slightly less even frame pacing than standard, but combined with a 30fps limit was the best option.

Summary: for 30fps, use half-refresh adaptive v-sync combined with a 30fps lock (Nvidia Inspector's is fine).

This is with all options maxed. FXAA is by far the best AA. TXAA is extremely blurry and causes flickering white pixel glitches, while MSAA misses tons of aliasing.

ZalXII

I'm getting a much smoother experience now with Windows 10. It's not a better framerate from my observation, same old 40-60 fps on Ultra with 2x MSAA (+Driver MFAA). But i don't get any microstutter anymore which was frequently present before, regardless of my fps. Got them even in areas with 60 fps, especially at night time and multiplayer scenarios. They're all gone now, system:
- i5-4670
- 16GB Ram
- GTX 970 FTW

Playing again now without HUD elements, finally pleasant.

Tankshell

Just got this. Should I be able to max it out these days at 1080p/60 on a 6850k@4.3ghz, 16Gb DDR4, SSD and an Evga 1080 SC?

Seem to be getting a lot of judder on ultra settings at the moment.

Just got this. Should I be able to max it out these days at 1080p/60 on a 6850k@4.3ghz, 16Gb DDR4, SSD and an Evga 1080 SC?

Have you got MSAA on? It's a killer so you should try FXAA or inject SMAA.

KainXVIII

On GTX 970 and i5-3570 game has some framedrops (even to 30-40) in cutscenes, i don't know why (hair, dof?). FXAA, soft shadows off, hbao+ on.

Anyone out there with a GTX670 played this? I realise it's below the minimum advertised requirements, but I'm cool with running it at 720p, low everything if that's what it takes. My PC is an i7 4771, 16GB RAM, SSD etc.

Also, anyone know whether some retail versions of this are non-Uplay (or Steam)? I saw a "That's Hot" edition cheap the other day but from the back it sounds like it's not on Uplay and maybe has same other crappy DRM (like Tages or something). In this instance I'd actually rather Uplay.

This is the next in the series for me and I'm a bit of an Assassin's Creed tragic, so don't want to skip it.

Anyone out there with a GTX670 played this? I realise it's below the minimum advertised requirements, but I'm cool with running it at 720p, low everything if that's what it takes. My PC is an i7 4771, 16GB RAM, SSD etc.

Also, anyone know whether some retail versions of this are non-Uplay (or Steam)? I saw a "That's Hot" edition cheap the other day but from the back it sounds like it's not on Uplay and maybe has same other crappy DRM (like Tages or something). In this instance I'd actually rather Uplay.

This is the next in the series for me and I'm a bit of an Assassin's Creed tragic, so don't want to skip it.

Steam has it but it will fire up uplay in the background. That's Hot is a Steam key far as I know.

you should be able to get 60 as long as you dont use 8x msaa(not sure if 8xmsaa is available in unity) if im remembering performance correctly. should be fine with 4xmsaa especially if you oc your gpu a bit

JaseC

They're Uplay keys (note the Uplay logo and legal section on the rear cover). Ubi doesn't provide Steam keys for Uplay games, with the exception of Far Cry 3, AssCreed 3 and Black Flag on Amazon (WinGameStore previously sold Steam keys for Black Flag and Might & Magic X, but this is no longer the case).

Top Bottom