• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed V is not Japan, but is Jade Raymond's favorite historical era

Malaussene

Neo Member
If I had to make a bet I would say french revolution.. I can see Paris being a great setting even without many modern landmarks. And I would also bet on a female assassin.. and gameplay mechanics based on king's court at Versailles..

NotUS

Lots of great possibilities mentioned:

Cold War Era
Nazi Germany
Japan
French Revolution

but what if they went down a completely different route, King Arthur, Knights Of The Round Table period.

Rnr1224

As much as i would love an Assassin's Creed game taking place in the 20th century, i feel that guns would become much more prevelant and kind of kill the style of AC. Feel free to prove me wrong Ubi!

Herne

The French Revolution, please. Paris of the late 18th century is perfect for AC-style roof-hopping, and of course that period is possibly more ripe for storytelling than any other. And don't just set it in Paris - how incredible would it be to be in and around Versailles in the final days of the Bourbon monarchy? With the huge ram on the newer consoles, we could get some nice high resolution textures of one of the most elaborate palaces in the world, all set during the Revolution, a time of such incredible terror.

Please, please, the French Revolution!

CrazyDude

The French Revolution, please. Paris of the late 18th century is perfect for AC-style roof-hopping, and of course that period is possibly more ripe for storytelling than any other. And don't just set it in Paris - how incredible would it be to be in and around Versailles in the final days of the Bourbon monarchy? With the huge ram on the newer consoles, we could get some nice high resolution textures painting one of the most elaborate palaces in the world, all set during the Revolution, a time of such incredible terror.

Please, please, the French Revolution!

You can even have Napoleon be the final bad guy.

Falk

that puzzling face
I was so conflicted with my ratings when various missions started with following a dude and/or dudes but then ended with something really cool. The simple star system just wasn't enough.

If the hottest, smartest chick in the world has AIDS, it's a no-fly zone. One-star. Vote with your wallet, etc.

I don't play AC games for the story lines as much as I do for immersion in a setting I'd like to be immersed in. I'll play at least one more game set in the Caribbean, and would love a game in Japan or Egypt. I'm not at all interested in exploring Russia or France. We've seen those settings far too many times since the mid-90s.

Give us something we don't have. I'd LOVE a game in tribal Africa or Polynesia.

Not in games though. I can think of very few games which take place in Renaissance or Victorian era France or Russia.

I do agree though that a really unusual setting like Africa/Polynesia would be very interesting. I'm not sure Ubi would do that though, as their focus is firmly on the US market. I believe Americans like France though, so it could be marketable.

Egypt reusing the assets they made for the cancelled Prince Of Persia reboot.

If it is Egypt is will be the first AC game I won't buy and I even bought AC3!

Why won't you buy it?

Whenever it might be set they better finally fix the combat of this series. It's about time you revamp some systems and don't just bolt new stuff onto it.

Agreed. It's the main thing which needs addressing with the series.

Just saw this on my twitter feed.

BhOKG69IYAAisgd.jpg

Looking good, Jade.

Is it just me or does she look a bit different? EDIT - never mind, I think I'm just being stupid.

The Egypt/North-African setting could very well feature the Barbary pirates, who actually were hunted by the historical Knight Templars. Blackbeard in AC4, Barbarossa in AC5? The Barbary pirate theme also ties into both the US (oldest extant American friendship treaty) and the UK (Jack Ward, British privateers) entries of the series. Might be tough to whitewash the slavery aspects, but it's not like AC3 or AC4 really explored those problems, either.

I forgot about this.

Sounds completely plausible.

My friend and I are thinking the Kenway trilogy will be split into two parts:
Jennifer for PSP, Haytham for PC.

sunnz

Every time I read about a new AC game, I get happy because of the location.

Then I remember it's going to be the same old gameplay and combat and get annoyed. I really love AC IV location and setting but the combat/gameplay is way too boring to go back to Hope they change it up a bit.

I will take the French Revolution, Egypt, China, Japan, Rome, World War I era, Cold War (that poster that mentioned the double agent thing...god, that sounds amazing...every AC game has a traitor it seems, so playing as someone who double crosses others? Awesome!) and anything else, really!

I just want a true next gen AC...and please either rehaul, remove or make the eavesdropping/tailoring a cutscene...

Oh and more cool weapons!

edit: Speaking of combat, are there any double assassinations that were cinematic-y, when you countered an attack in AC IV, like Connors? I swear AC IV had a few, but they were really rare. I loved these and I hope they come back.
Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnLOdWPKSQE&list=FLP1qFEm3es1GtHTAlNCA1Dg&feature=share&index=14

If I had to make a bet I would say french revolution.. I can see Paris being a great setting even without many modern landmarks. And I would also bet on a female assassin.. and gameplay mechanics based on king's court at Versailles..

That might actually turn out pretty well. All I know is that I wasn't a big fan of the AC game based on the American Revolution.

Is it just me or does she look a bit different? EDIT - never mind, I think I'm just being stupid.

It's not you, something definitely looks different. It's probably just the professionally done make-up / hair / etc.

Vibranium

Banned
I'm down with anything, as long as the next Creative Director actually revamps the combat and stealth system. Proper crouch and prone buttons please, maybe some crawling a la Splinter Cell.

AI could also use at the very least some tweaks so guards stop jumping over everything and behave as a cohesive unit.

Kinyou

Nope, but they used her a lot to promote AC1. All other AC titles sold a lot without "needing" her image, until AC3. People are getting bored with this franchise, so a PR stunt is needed (at least this is my opinion)-
AC4 was quite well received without her image. She also produced a bunch of other UBI games without making many appearances or interviews.

Thought it was always kind of shitty that people like to reduce her role to just PR

emag

Didn't know about pther Ubi title pruduced by her.

I only remember too many videos from AC1 promoting, I was disgusted during that period.

By the way, someone can explain me what is the role of a producer? I've never understood it.

The producer is the one that put money into a project?

"Producer" is an ill-defined role, but generally it's the person (or persons) who is in charge of the game overall, particularly in the managerial aspect. The producer is the principle point of contact between the development team and the publisher and is ultimately responsible for the budgeting and scheduling of the game.

If you've played AC4, it's basically somewhere between Melanie's job and that of Olivier.

keuja

Victorian England would be so boring. No big wars or political turmoil.
A Russian empire, French revolution or ancient Greece/Egypt/China settings would be far more interesting.

Top Bottom