• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla will run at 4K 60FPS on Xbox Series X

Elcid

Banned
Shame they lost me after Odyssey when this used to be one of my favorite series. It’s nice Ubisoft is stepping it up though but I’d be shocked if this isn’t 60fps on PS5 too. All it takes is for the Sony wizards to call Ubisoft and make it happen. Then you see Sony Santa Monica pop up in the credits lol.

Cross gen games should be hitting these numbers on both systems.

I still think native 4k @ 60fps wont be common, but I don't expect it to be that rare either.

Last edited:
They are yet to confirm if PS5 version will also run at 4K/60 FPS.
48d.gif

It was the same team making this that made Origins, another fantastic looking game maxed on PC. There is literally no reason why this would look worse, no reason.
In fact the best vid i have seen of Valhalla so far is the 10 secs or so in the Series S reveal vid at the end, its actually good quality video and the game looked great imo.

EDIT.

7:27-7:32, it looks stunning there imo.

Yep, they've fixed the colors and probably improved other stuff. Looked much better than what I've seen earlier.

Last edited:

On Demand

Banned
Don't assume anything about the PS5 version. Just like Dirt 5.

MS has the marketing for ACV so i wouldn't expect any confirmation yet.

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
The game looks like shit imo
Haha, my reaction. I'm definitely happy for those excited about the game. But what they've shown thus far doesn't necessarily look mind blowing in the slightest to me. From both a gameplay and presentation perspective.

Hostile_18

Banned
Shame they lost me after Odyssey when this used to be one of my favorite series. It’s nice Ubisoft is stepping it up though but I’d be shocked if this isn’t 60fps on PS5 too. All it takes is for the Sony wizards to call Ubisoft and make it happen. Then you see Sony Santa Monica pop up in the credits lol.

Imagine the optics if a 18% difference leads to a 50% fps decrease. I'm fairly confident the PS5 will be 60 as well.

Last edited:

ForestVSea

Credibility Test:
Watch that and get back to me with some honest feedback.

Is that meant to look impressive? Because it doesn't. The character models are particularly bad.

Im playing through AC Unity right now, and this doesn't look any better

Last edited:

Journey

Banned
Haha, my reaction. I'm definitely happy for those excited about the game. But what they've shown thus far doesn't necessarily look mind blowing in the slightest to me. From both a gameplay and presentation perspective.

We’ll wait for reviews and DF/NXGamer and other analysis

MH3M3D

It will run @60 fps on PS5 as well. It was the CPU that held back the current gen. I still don't believe its native 4K for any console though. Too early in the gen for that to happen in open world games.

Stuart360

Gold Member
It will run @60 fps on PS5 as well. It was the CPU that held back the current gen. I still don't believe its native 4K for any console though. Too early in the gen for that to happen in open world games.
Origins and Odyssey were dynamic 4k on the OneX i believe, Origins def was anyway.

ZywyPL

Banned
It will run @60 fps on PS5 as well. It was the CPU that held back the current gen. Too early in the gen for that to happen in open world games.

At FullHD yes, but at 4K games are 100% GPU-bound, if you put billion of polygons, tons of effects, RT and what's not, it won't matter if those 8C/16T Zen2 CPUs are being utilized only in 20%, if the render time if greater than 16ms then you just won't see 60FPS. 1440p seems to be the perfect resolution that balances the CPU and GPU usage pretty equally.

As for the second part of your sentence, I don't know, just look at what happened during this generation - most if not all launch/early titles ran at native resolution, it was a bit later when dynamic resolution started being used, then reconstruction kicked in, and in the end both technologies were used simultaneously, that's the beauty of simple, PC-like x86 architecture, all the power if easily accessible for the devs from day one, that's why launch titles like TO1886, Ryse, Driveclub etc. still look so damn good, if not even better than many games from even this year, but the drawback is that the devs can't squeeze anything more from those consoles than what's on the paper specs, they can keep pushing the visuals but that has to come at the cost of resolution, and I have very little doubt we will see the same trend happening yet again on PS5/XB1, where the launch/early titles will indeed run at native 4K, which in 2-3 years time will be replaced by dynamic or reconstructed resolution, or the mix of both.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
There must have been some marketing deal months ago because they said next gen was 30 fps. I don't think UBI programmers suddenly found a magic bullet to double the frames in 3 months.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Nice. So hyped!!! November 10th can't get here fast enough.

Malakhov

Banned
Having played odyssey and loved it, I want to play this although it looks awful so far from what was shown :/

Dibils2k

this for sure makes me more interested to play this

my main worry is that it wont be locked 60, since devs have tendency to say "60fps mode" when the game doesnt leave the 40-55fps range

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Sadly 4k Resolution does not necessarily mean 4K native anymore. 60fps does not mean locked 60fps anymore. Both could be dynamic. Especially from Ubisoft. Remember when they said Origins would be 4K native on the XBONEX, it ended up being dynamic around 1700p on average...

Tomeru

Thats nice. The other question is:

If ppl think that the series S is just like series X, only lower resolution - at what res will it run? 1080p? 1440p?

And if the ps5 is twice.5 the power of series S, what resolution will it run at?

Stuart360

Gold Member
I had to lock that piece of shit to 45 frames because at launch it was impossible to get 60 frames between cpu load always at 100 and general lack of optimization, one of the most broken games i played in the last years.
It would 100% my 6700k at a stuttery 50-60fps, and the 6700k was still a very good cpu at the time, it still is really. Thankfully i can get a locked 60fps at 40-50% usage per core on my 2700X.
Honestly i have been nothing but impressed by Ryzen's so far. Most modern games hang around the 25% usage per core at 60fps, and i never even saw that when my 6700k was new and the best cpu you could get lol.

Kamina

Golden Boy
If they arent fixing those janky animations until then the 60fps wont help.

So thats new spin by Sony fanboys?

Aww keep that salt flowing.
What does someone disliking the look of an Ubisoft game have to do with Playstation fans?
Try harder, you low-level troll.

Last edited:

Bankai

This is great news! Would be even more awesome if PS5 could do the same :messenger_grinning_sweat:

So now we play the waiting game.

AC is an interesting case. It's very HD heavy because of texture streaming. AC:Odd performed a shitload better once you got an SSD. Now, I firmly believe all the "SSD is maaaaagic" marketing bullshit from Sony is just that...but in AC's case it could actually matter a lot.

it will matter that youi have an ssd. Of any kind. Thats it. Sony's overengineered bulshit ssd wont see an ounce of extra use over xbox, in the entire generation, im sure of it. Not from 3rd nor 1st party games.

I keep trying to imagine how people imagine this would work. Needing sustained drive speeds of 9gb/s in a game. Are we going to have games where all we do is jump through portals, catch a glimpse of a new world for a nanosecond then go through another portal and so on ?

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Sadly 4k Resolution does not necessarily mean 4K native anymore. 60fps does not mean locked 60fps anymore. Both could be dynamic. Especially from Ubisoft. Remember when they said Origins would be 4K native on the XBONEX, it ended up being dynamic around 1700p on average...
1700p or 1800p is ok at 60fps, i know you've suffered a lot this gen you poor thing with around 1200p games on your Ps4 Pro and even 1080p also with the awful checkerboard. But the Ps5 will be fine regarding better resolutions this gen. Now lift that chin up.

CrysisFreak

Banned
Literally the only thing I care about and am happy about is the 60fps target, minor drops acceptable, not a resolution whore myself tbh.

GymWolf

Gold Member
It would 100% my 6700k at a stuttery 50-60fps, and the 6700k was still a very good cpu at the time, it still is really. Thankfully i can get a locked 60fps at 40-50% usage per core on my 2700X.
Honestly i have been nothing but impressed by Ryzen's so far. Most modern games hang around the 25% usage per core at 60fps, and i never even saw that when my 6700k was new and the best cpu you couoneld get lol.
I clearly remember almost everyone having problem with this game at launch, both on amd and intel side, the pc performance topics were a bloodbath...

My i5 8600k was not enough for this dud and at the times it was like the 4-5th most powerfull cpu on the market...

But yeah i'm gonna buy a ryzen for my next rig, they are cheap and playing on 4k means that i don't need the top tier line because the load is almost all on the gpu.

I'm more scared about the price of a 1tb ultra fast ssd and ddr5 ram...

Last edited:
If they arent fixing those janky animations until then the 60fps wont help.

What does someone disliking the look of an Ubisoft game have to do with Playstation fans?
Try harder, you low-level troll.
Dislike look of game = Sony fanboy.

PlayStation and Sony living rent free in some people's minds.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
This is curious because even on a 12TF PC running at a mix of medium to high settings, recent AC games can’t get anywhere near a locked 60 at native 4k (2080ti’s with comparable CPU’s average around 50, with drops down to around 30 in combat) Either this is a combination of lower settings with toned down LOD, and an EXTREMELY unstable frame rate, or they’ve performed an engineering miracle of optimization for this game. 🤔

Romulus

This is curious because even on a 12TF PC running at a mix of medium to high settings, recent AC games can’t get anywhere near a locked 60 at native 4k (2080ti’s with comparable CPU’s average around 50, with drops down to around 30 in combat) Either this is a combination of lower settings with toned down LOD, and an EXTREMELY unstable frame rate, or they’ve performed an engineering miracle of optimization for this game. 🤔

Closed box optimization is huge.
I don't think it'll be an engineering marvel. Its fruits of labor squeezing a junk tablet CPU for the better part of a decade. They were running BF at 60fps on that CPU, even at lowered settings that's bonkers. Getting tossed a real gaming CPU this time, and current gen devs are masters at optimizing.

Top Bottom