• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assault weapon ban expires today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Diablos said:
Hmm, I don't know if this is as big of a deal as I once thought. For example, during this ban, AK-47's have been sold under different names with limited features... but it was still almost just as effective, which is all that matters when it comes to bodycounts sadly. :(

This law really wasn't anything more than a feel good measure. The only thing that was banned that might have been useful was the larger clips. Then again, that didn't do that much since it just banned the manufacture of them, existing ones were still legal. Also, full automatic weapons are still illegal (actually I think you can own them if you have a class 3 license and those are expensive as hell and take a ton of background checks) like they have been since the 30s or whever that ban was enacted.

Phoenix

Look past the obivious AK-47s and M-14 carbines. There are some other much more dangerous weapons that become legal... like grenade launchers.

m60mg-sa.jpg

This should not be legal either.

Screaming_Gremlin

Besides you can now buy this monster.

picture.JPG

Edit - Uhh, Phoenix I'm pretty sure an M-60 will still be illegal. Well it might be legal if its full-auto has been disabled, but even then I'm not sure. Besides I imagine that would be so expensive that your normal criminal will be buying one.

Phoenix

They will become legal provided you get your weapon from an ATF dealer and go through the relevant background checks.

Pimpwerx

commish said:
Obviously you've never had the experience of being on the business end of a gun, knife, etc of someone who is out to do you or your family harm.

Funny thing is I have, and there's sometimes a way out of it. Running from the situation actually works sometimes. Then again, I was a kid and I didn't have a gun of my own. Some guy pulled a revolver on us when we were cutting through his backyard. Fucking nuts. So we just kept running and jumped the other fence. Having two guns in a situation forces a response. It escalates the situation. I'd rather have a chance of getting out without a shot fired. And if I get hit, then shit, that kinda sucks. The odds are so low it doesn't matter. And I've lived in some bad neighborhoods.

You know, for some people, it's a hobby. And it's an Olympic sport.

Yeah, I dig it. I'm in favor of a gun ban, but I don't think it's a necessity. I think you could get by with banning obvious killing machines like assault rifles and automatic rifles, but guns are simple machines. If you ban it, you just make a black market for it. It's already possible to make legal weapons into asault rifles now. It just costs the end user more (the whole civil liberties stuff). I'm against guns, but I'm pretty apathetic about it. I don't really care what they do since it doesn't really change much really. Crime is high for other reasons than guns. A majority of gun owners operate responsibly and enjoy the "security" a gun gives them. I think we can make things safer with other measures, probably more effectively. But if they ok'd a ban previously, I see no reason not to renew it. It just makes sense to get dangerous weapons out of circulation. But whatever. With the ban gone, it won't change much. But I wish some gun nuts would consider other issues with that same frame of mind. PEACE.

Pimpwerx

BTW, I do admire the technical aspect of guns. If I was to buy a gun, it would either be a Glock handgun, or a MP-5.

mp5.gif

I think this is really cool. Telescoping stock for easy concealment when I'm trying to sneak up on some deer. :D PEACE.

Screaming_Gremlin

Phoenix said:
They will become legal provided you get your weapon from an ATF dealer and go through the relevant background checks.

Yeah, but people who go through that much trouble to get a weapon aren't buying them to commit crimes. They are most likely just a collector and they might fire it occaisonally at a range.

Awesome. Now when I need to mow down a bunch of liberal whores at the abortion clinic I can do it like a real man, and not rely on a pussy-ass pipe bomb. That will teach those bastards for disrespecting life!

Seriously, when people say, "Banning assult weapons will do nothing to curb attacks with them. Criminals will get their automatics whenever they want blablabla..." they need to realize that it is not the people who are criminals that people are worried about, it's the people who aren't criminals YET that need to be feared. You KNOW the Michigan Militia has been waiting for this day for YEARS. I am pretty sure a lot of those fuckers have "clean slates" that are just WAITING to be tarnished by the backsplash of peppered humansteak. Also, when you have a ban on automatic weapons, you have a means to punish people for owning them. Think how much more damage those Columbine kids could have done with an M16.

Despite all this I am DIEING to get my hands on an FNP90, shiiiit.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Screaming_Gremlin said:
Besides you can now buy this monster.

picture.JPG

Not entirely sure what that is, but it really reminds me of a scene in one of the Naked Gun, or maybe Loaded Weapon movies where the guy starts out with a pistol, begins adding accessories, and after a couple minutes of adding more and more, is sitting atop an artillery piece.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
The Black Stallion said:
Awesome. Now when I need to mow down a bunch of liberal whores at the abortion clinic I can do it like a real man, and not rely on a pussy-ass pipe bomb. That will teach those bastards for disrespecting life!

Seriously, when people say, "Banning assult weapons will do nothing to curb attacks with them. Criminals will get their automatics whenever they want blablabla..." they need to realize that it is not the people who are criminals that people are worried about, it's the people who aren't criminals YET that need to be feared. You KNOW the Michigan Militia has been waiting for this day for YEARS. I am pretty sure a lot of those fuckers have "clean slates" that are just WAITING to be tarnished by the backsplash of peppered humansteak. Also, when you have a ban on automatic weapons, you have a means to punish people for owning them. Think how much more damage those Columbine kids could have done with an M16.

Despite all this I am DIEING to get my hands on an FNP90, shiiiit.

Automatics have been banned for 70 years and are still banned. Those militia losers aren't getting anything today they didn't have when Moore made his movie.

I wouldn't mind having m60. I'd install in on the hood of my car and control it by remote control. Would make the morning commute a lot more fun.

robochimp

Phoenix said:
Look past the obivious AK-47s and M-14 carbines. There are some other much more dangerous weapons that become legal... like grenade launchers.

m60mg-sa.jpg

This should not be legal either.

Sadly grenade launchers will not be legal. The mention of grenade launchers is only part of the definition of what constitutes an assault weapon under the ban. It says something to the affect of the gun having the ability to have a grenade launcher attatched to it. Grenade launchers are classified as "destructive devices"

KingV

The biggest thing that makes people support the assault weapons ban is that it has an imposing name that makes it seem like it's banning more harmful stuff than it is. If someone wants a semiautomatic rifle that is in the shape of a fully automatic military weapon, what's the difference from having a Bushmaster hunting rifle that has the same capabilities, but a different shape?

I agree, that there's no need for people to own a semiautomatic M16, as there are other guns that were not banned that can serve a similar purpose, but if a collector wants one to shoot at the range, and he thinks it looks cool, why shouldn't he have one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom