• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa (Console) |OT| Kunos tries to console us.

VVV Mars VG

People say PCARS is unplayable with a pad, I don't have much of an issue, AC is easier to handle on the pad than PCARS is.

For me it depends on the car and class. Both games have cars which are easier and more intuitive to control, both have cars that feel all over the place, I'dd add Dirt Rally to that list as well when it comes to Pikes Peak cars.

danowat

Banned
For me it depends on the car and class. Both games have cars which are easier and more intuitive to control, both have cars that feel all over the place, I'dd add Dirt Rally to that list as well when it comes to Pikes Peak cars.
Very true, it's actually quite odd how different some of the cars are, drive both the C9 and Huayra in both AC and PCARS and see just how different they perform.

While hilarious......they should probably fix this

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/SoundScream13/video/21262202

I think Kunos has made some fade-out for the after-race transition that should come soon. Still bad, but a cheap improvement. They should have a completely different system for SP.

In other news, I wanted to get a feeling for how to setup a controller with just the input variables from Assetto Corsa (you may know that Forza uses some kind of slip-angle sensitive system in addition to the speed-sensetivity, that's why it's so easy to keep oversteer in check in the Forza games with a controller). I especially wanted to know how the Gamma changes steering speed and how the Filter lag adds to all that and build a mini app with Mathematica that uses controller inputs.
steeringapprrw0ske.png
The blue cross is my actual input, the orange cross is the game's interpretation after filter, gamma and deadzone are applied (speed-sensitivity is assumed as fixed to a speed where the peak steering rotation allowed is 180° to each side)

Now, after that, I feel about as smart as before.
There is no right or wrong to gamma settings, depending on at between what points of your stick movement you have the most feel. For me it's somewhere between 30 and 65% input. I also found that more deadzone than you need to not move the steering wheel without having touched anything can be a good thing and deadzone should be set so it helps gamma out of its "nothing is happening" points. Lastly, for how my app worked with a mean-filter from the last xxxms, I felt that more filter to slow down the wheel movement looked smoother than less sensitivity, could be completely different in AC though.

Edit: that sounds convoluted... What I meant is, a higher deadzone than necessary can help to get to the "more feel"-zone of the stick and works well with a gamma setup that translates that zone to more output% than the input%.

As a general rule of thumb for me, the race cars feel much better in PCARS on pad then the road cars do. The road cars feel too much like the old NFS SHIFT model of handling where it was like soap bars on ice.

As I feard this game has ruined Pcars for me. The FFB in Forza isnt perfect but it felt better to me than Pcars, so only having the two to compare and contrast this generation I was able to deal with it. But after Asseto came out it amplifys my issues with the Pcars FFB.

Forza FFB has an issue when you reach the limits of grip where it just goes to nothing immediately when you lose the car. Asseto feels just as strong but never losses it. Pcars I cant feel the car at all. It does some things well but I feel no body roll, and its to much play on the wheel. I did a lap where I drove the BMW M1 on spa in all 3 games, I was fastest in AC, then Forza and Pcars last. The reason I was last was because I couldnt feel the car, resulting in oversteer and a general lack of confidence going into turns.

Patrick S.

Banned
Perfect illustration of how replays dont use real physics. Kunos has just changed the coordinates of the cars instantly teleporting them yet the replay shows them moving across. Wish I had this clip when people were telling me GTS's streams were full physics.

I hate that warping when you jump the race start, too. It's so "gamey", for lack of a better term... Why don't they just issue a drive-through as in real life? That must be something that would take ten minutes for them to implement.

xrnzaaas

I'll believe when I see it. They couldn't deal with this issue before releasing the game and now they found a complete solution in like a month?

terrible

Banned
It'd be pretty cool if they managed to fix it this quickly considering they seemingly haven't been able to fix it in the previous months leading up to release. Going back to the first Inside Sim Racing and Team VVV PS4 vids the framedrops have been obvious. Maybe it was such a low priority that they didn't even bother trying until now. We'll see.

Obviously it'll be huge news if they have greatly reduced the stuttering/tearing.

danowat

Banned
I'll believe when I see it. They couldn't deal with this issue before releasing the game and now they found a complete solution in like a month?

There was a school of thought that the performance some how dipped just before release, think VVV said that the release version was worse than a build they played prior to launch, so maybe something they fixed just as it went gold had a performance hit and they didn't have time to fix it before they had to push it out the door.

But yeah, I'll believe it when I see it.

VVV Mars VG

There was a school of thought that the performance some how dipped just before release, think VVV said that the release version was worse than a build they played prior to launch, so maybe something they fixed just as it went gold had a performance hit and they didn't have time to fix it before they had to push it out the door.

But yeah, I'll believe it when I see it.

Yes the preview build appeared to run better and with full race replays. Still tearing though, so big words by the devs, lets see if the results match that confidence.

TJP

Sorry James I can't hear you because I'm currently getting dry butt-fucked by Sony execs live on Japanese TV for a game show called Wheel Of Misfortune.
That must be the same show that 4K BluRay fans were on as well given the PS4 Pro news.

Good to read that Kunos have sorted some of their technical issues.

danowat

Banned
More update info

A short preview on [some of] the things you will find in next update for Assetto Corsa on PS4 and XB1. Tearing issues have been solved, and the graphics is much more smooth in any situation. The smoothness also gives a better perception of visuals, and allows to feel a better car handling. Definetely a great step ahead, that will allow you to enjoy AC much more. The new build will feature 2 additional difficult levels, very easy and alien, and btw, all the AI levels have been balanced, that means that also the existing AI levels have been improved. Controllers: the issues with Thrustmaster T80, T100 and TH shifters have been fixed; gamepad speed sensitivity and steering gamma now work much better (we can't wait to receive your feedback), and a "reset to default" command has been added (where default means recommended). When you launch the game, now it recognizes and consider as default the device you use when you press X/A to start it (as it was designed, and it didn't work due to a bug of the very last minute..). This is the JUST the FIRST pass of improvements for the controller section, but not the LAST. We are already working to include new configurations and options for all the controllers and, BTW, thank you for your kind suggestions. Visual steering wheel rotation: as you might know, Assetto Corsa performs a full rotation of the steering wheel, depending by the car you choose, that actually helps to understand if you are steering too much, since the visual rotation matches the physical one. Said that, we recognize that gamepad users are not used to this kind of approach, and actually it can be weird by an aesthetical point of view. We added the option to lock the visual steering wheel, that will be setted by default at 360 degrees, and it works from 240 to 1080 degrees, so it can please any kind of user. Most important, we allow you to make your favorite choice.
As said before, this is just a quick update of SOME OF the things you will find in the next build. As you might know (but much probably not), the workflow needed to update a game on console is hugely different than on Steam with the PC version: is much more complex, slow and less dynamic. Also, it's something that - as developers - we are experimenting on console for the first time, since Assetto Corsa is our first porting, and believe me, Assetto Corsa is a very complex software. This is not meant to be a justification, but just a simple fact. Therefore I thank you in advance for your patience and passion, but you can be sure that Assetto Corsa 1.0 on PS4/XB1 is just the start. And, btw, the Japanese Pack DLC, the Black Cat County and Maserati Levante will be available very soon! Hopefully the new build will be available during this month: fingers crossed!
Thank you very much for the awesome way you are supporting us.

Sorry James I can't hear you because I'm currently getting dry butt-fucked by Sony execs live on Japanese TV for a game show called Wheel Of Misfortune.

Could you use one of those adapters that make the g27 show up as a g29 since the fanatecs show up as a g27 in ps3 mode?

kratos2412

Neo Member
anyone using Thrustmaster T150 wheel ?
if so ,what is your suggestions regarding Forcefeedback Settings , my Settings are way too noisy its like iam holding a jackhammer

anyone using Thrustmaster T150 wheel ?
if so ,what is your suggestions regarding Forcefeedback Settings , my Settings are way too noisy its like iam holding a jackhammer
What does noisy mean? Noise over what should feel like a constant force? Or does the road feel too bumpy?
I can't think of a reason why it would feel more bumpy on a T150 than with a T300 or a TX of which ai usually hear it's identical to PC("terrible" here on GAF reported a different/worse feel). I also looked on AssettoCorsa.net, no forum posts from T150 users since console launch.
Assuming that console FFB is mostly identical to PC FFB in AC, you could ask again in the PC racing sims thread here on GAF there are people there who have played AC with a T150. Game-settings-wise I don't think anyone could recommend you something clever that you haven't already tried (like... If it's too much road bumpiness feel, turn down the road-ffb slider), but if it's a wheel issue or general problem AC has with the T150/TMX the PC racing sim guys would probably know about it or could suggest things to try wheel-side.

kratos2412

Neo Member
What does noisy mean? Noise over what should feel like a constant force? Or does the road feel too bumpy?
I can't think of a reason why it would feel more bumpy on a T150 than with a T300 or a TX of which ai usually hear it's identical to PC("terrible" here on GAF reported a different/worse feel). I also looked on AssettoCorsa.net, no forum posts from T150 users since console launch.
Assuming that console FFB is mostly identical to PC FFB in AC, you could ask again in the PC racing sims thread here on GAF there are people there who have played AC with a T150. Game-settings-wise I don't think anyone could recommend you something clever that you haven't already tried (like... If it's too much road bumpiness feel, turn down the road-ffb slider), but if it's a wheel issue or general problem AC has with the T150/TMX the PC racing sim guys would probably know about it or could suggest things to try wheel-side.

so rumble comes from kerbs and street settings? , so i could pump up forcefeedback and leave the others low ? i have the wheelstand pro v2 buts its "vibrates" crazy

so rumble comes from kerbs and street settings? , so i could pump up forcefeedback and leave the others low ? i have the wheelstand pro v2 buts its "vibrates" crazy
Well the FFB is very strong and causes my rig to vibrate. If you are looking to eliminate vibration you should turn the FFB down.

In theory, yes, at least for bumps that would fall under "fast-bump", but I'm not sure how that is realized in AC.
Side-note: I have that same wheelstand and use anti-vibration mat pieces supposed to make washing machines less noisy from vibrations (they cost ~6-10 bucks for a 60x60cm one that you can slice 2 pieces off of, they are thick and kinda stiff, you don't get your FFB muddied down).

About the FFB and what to turn down:
The first FFB setting is the master and overall ffb strength, most of the FFB is derived from self-aligning torque (that is what you feel in a real car), self-aligning torque doesn't get an extra slider, but other settings can be fine-tuned:
- road-ffb is used to exagerate the road unevenness,
- kerbs-ffb (I think) has an extra value to make tarmac kerbs feel like kerbs with teeth that give rumble feedback,
- slip-ffb is the seat-of-pants driving feel substitute and gives feedback wheen the rear of the car is reaching higher lateral slip,
- understeer-ffb will exaggerate the understeer effect that will make turning the wheel feel lighter when the front wheels are slipping laterally.

kratos2412

Neo Member
In theory, yes, at least for bumps that would fall under "fast-bump", but I'm not sure how that is realized in AC.
Side-note: I have that same wheelstand and use anti-vibration mat pieces supposed to make washing machines less noisy from vibrations (they cost ~6-10 bucks for a 60x60cm one that you can slice 2 pieces off of, they are thick and kinda stiff, you don't get your FFB muddied down).

About the FFB and what to turn down:
The first FFB setting is the master and overall ffb strength, most of the FFB is derived from self-aligning torque (that is what you feel in a real car), self-aligning torque doesn't get an extra slider, but other settings can be fine-tuned:
- road-ffb is used to exagerate the road unevenness,
- kerbs-ffb (I think) has an extra value to make tarmac kerbs feel like kerbs with teeth that give rumble feedback,
- slip-ffb is the seat-of-pants driving feel substitute and gives feedback wheen the rear of the car is reaching higher lateral slip,
- understeer-ffb will exaggerate the understeer effect that will make turning the wheel feel lighter when the front wheels are slipping laterally.

thank you for your help , its very annoying to Change Settings then test it while driving and go back to home Screen to do it over and over again .
is there a Chance for the developers to add option to change FFB on the fly ?

thank you for your help , its very annoying to Change Settings then test it while driving and go back to home Screen to do it over and over again .
is there a Chance for the developers to add option to change FFB on the fly ?

In the PC version, you can set the master-ffb for a car (not saved for other cars then) during game-play, so in theory it's possible, but I doubt they'll do it. They think less options are better and comparing the FFB to pCARS, where I spend probably over 10 hours just tweaking FFB values, reading up on things, downloading tweaker files and tables, I kinda have to agree. If you just get it right, you don't need to offer many options on top of it, another good example is controller steering in Forza - no real options, but you don't find people complaining (except for brake-locking from left-trigger braking, but let's not talk about that), because it's really pretty good as it is.

Well, thinking about it from an inclusive/pro-diversity point, more options is always is good, as long as you try your best to get it right for the vast majority from the start. So, yeah, you're not wrong. Did the "less road-ffb" help you to get rid of the unauthentic noise for the most part now, after some trial & error?

kratos2412

Neo Member
In the PC version, you can set the master-ffb for a car (not saved for other cars then) during game-play, so in theory it's possible, but I doubt they'll do it. They think less options are better and comparing the FFB to pCARS, where I spend probably over 10 hours just tweaking FFB values, reading up on things, downloading tweaker files and tables, I kinda have to agree. If you just get it right, you don't need to offer many options on top of it, another good example is controller steering in Forza - no real options, but you don't find people complaining (except for brake-locking from left-trigger braking, but let's not talk about that), because it's really pretty good as it is.

Well, thinking about it from an inclusive/pro-diversity point, more options is always is good, as long as you try your best to get it right for the vast majority from the start. So, yeah, you're not wrong. Did the "less road-ffb" help you to get rid of the unauthentic noise for the most part now, after some trial & error?

Yes it helped a lot, also turned down base ffb
and i got faster lap times. i bought pcars and ac at once , paid 50 euros and drove a few laps in pcars to let it rest on the harddrive .
i love assetto corsa much more , that feeling with a wheel is amazing.

Black Cat County track will be released for free on the console version in the next (major) update.
So not saying "the next update", but it will be this month.

Jamesways

Also just announced on FB-
"We're pleased to announce that our console players can download the all-new Maserati Levante for FREE, as part of our next major update, scheduled for later this month! Reaching top speeds of 264 km/h, take to the track and experience the performance and fun-factor of Maserati’s first ever SUV."

Damn SUVs in racing games...
What is this, Forza?!
:p

I can't wait for the update. I frickin' LOVE this game. There, I said it.
Wheeee!!!
29586128842_0e25356fdb_z.jpg

Klocker

Good god this game is playing like a slide show for some reason on my xbox. Really bad.. tempted to call and beg for a refund from MS digital but am holding out hope for the patch

cooldawn

Kunos said:
...gamepad speed sensitivity and steering gamma now work much better (we can't wait to receive your feedback)...
Come on Kunos, where is this patch? I haven't touched the game for weeks and I want to be able to play this game so much after playing too much of Project CARS.

Was submitted for cert on Thursday.

Also, first Porsche pack was originally planned for September but now seems to be coming in October (and they've shown quite a few drivable Porsches already on the Nürburgring sim expo). Seems that everyone on the team had to put some work in, to get the console version closer to the PC version asap.

danowat

Banned
Japanese Pack is rumoured to come out today for consoles...........

As an aside, for people who've played this in the PC, I noticed this morning on a youtube video that the PC has a 'garage mode', a bit like Forzavista, is this a mod?, or is this something that is in the base PC version?

Because it's completely missing from the console version.

Makikou

Japanese Pack is rumoured to come out today for consoles...........

As an aside, for people who've played this in the PC, I noticed this morning on a youtube video that the PC has a 'garage mode', a bit like Forzavista, is this a mod?, or is this something that is in the base PC version?

Because it's completely missing from the console version.

It's a fully fledged feature on the PC version.

Top Bottom