• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa (Console) |OT| Kunos tries to console us.

Maybe I'm very sensitive to framerate but holy shit....the framerate is all over the place..tried the game at a friend's house yesterday, but I'll wait for a patch.

danowat

Banned
Bit of a kick in the balls that a number of special events require the use of DLC, which means that the 'get gold in all special events' trophy is behind a pay wall.

Edit: KUNOS dev states this isn't the case....

terrible

Banned
Correct no user lobbies, only 'hoppers'

That has to be some sort of a sick joke. I have it pre-ordered so I can play with friends that don't have a PC. If custom lobbies aren't in then there's no point in me getting it since I already have it on PC. What were they thinking?

itsmedave

I'll be waiting to see if the bugs are ironed out before buying. They already got me when I bought the PC version and there's not one game in my Steam Library that I'm more dissatisfied with than AC.

nasanu

Banned
And seriously, you can't even make a lobby? Did I hear right?

You did. I am kind of glad AC is turning out like this. In 2013 I proposed that AC come to PS4 on Kunos's forums. I said it would be a perfect $29.99 PSN digital release and of course coped the usual flack, consoles can't do physics, no we don't want AC dumbed down, console players don't want a sim etc... But I thought it would be great and I also assumed being on console would force some quality standards. I was wrong on that front. What happened to the days when Sony and MS would send games back to be fixed before they would allow them to be published? Was it all lost with the "yeah we went tons of self published indie garbage!" push by gamers of a few years back?

I also said their proposed multiplayer was going to be a failure as soon as they announced it. I predicted that with their traditional PC model of "here is some server code, go away" style of online infrastructure that AC would see a huge drop off in players eventually resulting in a state where there might be hundreds of servers but getting a race without prearranging it a week in advance would be almost impossible and the active player base online is minimal. Indeed this is the case today.

I just hope that the correct lessons are learnt from this. If only one things comes from this I hope it is that PC sim developers finally see that their traditional online setup is a barrier to their game being successful (and by success I mean to the level that gamers other than the most hardcore have heard of it, who knows wtf "automobilista" is?). I highly suspect the take away message will be "sims don't sell/work on consoles".

danowat

Banned
I love the driving model, but outside of that, I can see a lot of people getting bored with it quite quickly, it's pretty barebones.

Plus there are some really erratic difficultly in some events, in the second tier there is an event with you in an E30 M3 and the AI in various other BMW's, the leader in an E92, it's next to impossible to win on hard, and seriously tough on medium, where as the event after it is a cakewalk on hard, and the special events are seriously tough.

The lack of custom lobbies is a bad choice, plus the removal of many PC options is baffling.

Performance is fine for me, there is a ton of tearing but it doesn't bother me much.

Jamesways

I love the driving model, but outside of that, I can see a lot of people getting bored with it quite quickly, it's pretty barebones.

Plus there are some really erratic difficultly in some events, in the second tier there is an event with you in an E30 M3 and the AI in various other BMW's, the leader in an E92, it's next to impossible to win on hard, and seriously tough on medium, where as the event after it is a cakewalk on hard, and the special events are seriously tough.

The lack of custom lobbies is a bad choice, plus the removal of many PC options is baffling.

Performance is fine for me, there is a ton of tearing but it doesn't bother me much.
I'm hoping it's going to be a satisfying hot lap sim for me. I like the idea of mastering the laser scanned tracks.
I probably won't get very far the career events.

How was the race weekend format? Similar to project cars? Is the AI decent?

You did. I am kind of glad AC is turning out like this. In 2013 I proposed that AC come to PS4 on Kunos's forums. I said it would be a perfect $29.99 PSN digital release and of course coped the usual flack, consoles can't do physics, no we don't want AC dumbed down, console players don't want a sim etc... But I thought it would be great and I also assumed being on console would force some quality standards. I was wrong on that front. What happened to the days when Sony and MS would send games back to be fixed before they would allow them to be published? Was it all lost with the "yeah we went tons of self published indie garbage!" push by gamers of a few years back?

I also said their proposed multiplayer was going to be a failure as soon as they announced it. I predicted that with their traditional PC model of "here is some server code, go away" style of online infrastructure that AC would see a huge drop off in players eventually resulting in a state where there might be hundreds of servers but getting a race without prearranging it a week in advance would be almost impossible and the active player base online is minimal. Indeed this is the case today.

I just hope that the correct lessons are learnt from this. If only one things comes from this I hope it is that PC sim developers finally see that their traditional online setup is a barrier to their game being successful (and by success I mean to the level that gamers other than the most hardcore have heard of it, who knows wtf "automobilista" is?). I highly suspect the take away message will be "sims don't sell/work on consoles".

Honestly, I don't think they care about console sales enough. They don't even care about money enough. Look at Stefano in his streams, the guy has the soul of an artist. He enjoys to please their userbase, but only if they ask something of him that is something he can be passionate about or if it is reasonable and can be done in 2 days or so.
Maybeif they make enough money with console versions and if it is cost/energy efficient to hire one additional guy who does nothing but care about online and dealing with PSN and XBL, someone who doesn't need to be managed but can be left alone doing his thing and isn't taking away much time from other team members.

Another thought and just my personal opinion: If you make a product just to make money and be successfull, bad products arise. If you don't love and are proud of your own product, maybe you should think about doing something else if there is a way for you. Meaning: I really like Kunos' philosophy and it shows in the way the cars look and feel (and sound, minus for racing games insufficient fmod sound engine technology), but they should have been more passionate about the challenges that come with a "polished" console release. Don't do a port because there is so much money left on the table, rather see it as a challenge in design and learning about new things. Of course I don't know how much of a passion-grinder Sony and Microsoft rules/standards can be, but they should have expected that before going in.

danowat

Banned
I'm hoping it's going to be a satisfying hot lap sim for me. I like the idea of mastering the laser scanned tracks.
I probably won't get very far the career events.

How was the race weekend format? Similar to project cars? Is the AI decent?
It's a good Hotlap sim.

AI is pretty decent, but they are aggressive and will stick you up the inside given the chance!!

Where is the steering wheel calibration on PS4? Can't find it anywhere.
If I'm not mistaken, only pCARS has wheel 'calibration' and it's a relict from the PC version. When you plug in your wheel it's auto calibrated, no need for more calibration. Or do you mean something like dead-zone and DOR-adjustment to your personal taste? I mean in a production car you can't set it either and AC uses the original DOR settings from the real world counterparts (soft-lock only), but yes, that really seems to be missing, but it is missing in GT6 too and will probably not be in GTS either.

TJP

The annoying thing with these sims from the PC are how unpolished they always seem to be. I LOVED the handling on Race Pro on the 360 but the rest of the game was a hot mess.
A day after publisher Atari decided Race Pro was good enough, SimBin had the game running @ 60fps and with a decent level of AA. Ive asked about Race Pro amongst Sector 3 employees and they have a lot to say about what and could have been. I love the game too and it's partly how Jamesways and I know each other.

As for AC, I'm saddened to read here and elsewhere that it hasn't lived up to expectations. People playing AC on PC knew it was a barebones hot lap sim with a lot of features that the community want that are yet to be added and it appears 505 Games think that's good enough for console players used to big budget releases that are, for the most part, complete products.

The entire PC sim genre needs a boot in the arse; a modern version of GTR 2 would sell a shitload of copies!

UnNamed

Banned
but yes, that really seems to be missing, but it is missing in GT6 too and will probably not be in GTS either.

It's a big issue for me, i own a thrustmaster t100 which maybe it's not natively supported, so when the game is fully turned, in real life is only at 50%. There is no way i can be accurate in driving.
I've seen some videos where you can change this setting, maybe it was a beta, the only setting i see now is for force feedback.
Or maybe it's because my old steering wheel which is not supported.

Mah...

Certinty

Played a few hours now on PS4.

Performance is so bad it's shocking, besides that it seems pretty good though. Took me far less time to set my G29 up well than it did for something like Project CARS.

danowat

Banned
Played a few hours now on PS4.

Performance is so bad it's shocking, besides that it seems pretty good though. Took me far less time to set my G29 up well than it did for something like Project CARS.
Define 'shocking' is it just the tearing? Or are you getting framerate issues?

It's as least as steady framerate wise as pcars for me, I was expecting a complete basketcase from some of the reports.

Certinty

It's as least as steady framerate wise as pcars for me, I was expecting a complete basketcase from some of the reports.
Yeah the tearing mostly. I'm finding it near impossible to do races, everytime tons of AI appear on the screen it gets as bad as I've seen any racing game get.

I'll probably wait and hope a patch fixes this to a decent extent but for now I'll just be using it for time trials.

It's a big issue for me, i own a thrustmaster t100 which maybe it's not natively supported, so when the game is fully turned, in real life is only at 50%. There is no way i can be accurate in driving.
I've seen some videos where you can change this setting, maybe it was a beta, the only setting i see now is for force feedback.
Or maybe it's because my old steering wheel which is not supported.

Mah...
The T100 is not in the game supported wheel list and ... I don't think it's an officially PS4 supported wheel either and Sony seems to be more aggressive with forcing the licensing. Rumor is that Kunos had to patch out the Fanatec support.
The problem is probably with the resultion; the game thinks it's a T150 with 12-bit resolution, while the T100 is only 10-bit, which is 4x lower. That it's 50% and not 25% difference to the onscreen wheel might be due to non'linear steering geometry, which means it would be more than 50% difference in cars with old and fairly linear steering geometry like the Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint (at least usually older cars have that)(edit: AC Cobra is probably a better example).

I doubt anyone will answer who is to blame for the mssing support, sorry. With what other PS4 games is the wheel working correctly? Just pCARS?

cooldawn

The frame-rate is quite manageable from experience so far but I try hard to not notice tearing.

Anyway, I can't find custom controls on PS4. I see the Presets but that's it. Where can I set my own controls?

A day after publisher Atari decided Race Pro was good enough, SimBin had the game running @ 60fps and with a decent level of AA. Ive asked about Race Pro amongst Sector 3 employees and they have a lot to say about what and could have been. I love the game too and it's partly how Jamesways and I know each other.

As for AC, I'm saddened to read here and elsewhere that it hasn't lived up to expectations. People playing AC on PC knew it was a barebones hot lap sim with a lot of features that the community want that are yet to be added and it appears 505 Games think that's good enough for console players used to big budget releases that are, for the most part, complete products.

The entire PC sim genre needs a boot in the arse; a modern version of GTR 2 would sell a shitload of copies!
It doesn't help that on the day the console version released, the PC version is up for sale at half the price.

Gestault

I don't mean to be snide here: The bar has been lowered.

Framerate I can try to tune out, but screen-tearing mid-turn (especially in a block of cars) is just unacceptable. Enough devs haven't optimized in a way that avoids it, so it's just becoming the new norm. It bugs me.

I mean in the youtube videos, the tearing and framerate drops are very apparent, but youtube amplifies these issues too. With the day1 patch Team VVV seemed to be mostly ok with the framerate and tearing, John from ISR is used to triple screen 144Hz g-sync monitors and from him the jagginess on th XB1 was more of an issue than the framerate and tearing... maybe this stuff has become less acceptable faster on GAF than out there for the average console gamer??

I kinda wanna try the console version to see it for myself. I'm more forgiving for tearing than most gaffers though, just stutter from sudden framedrops I can't stand and am pretty sensetive to.

Would you guys prefer the input lag that comes with a v-sync solution over the current tearing? (I don't even know if the performance overhead would even allow for slight increase that comes from v-snc)

TJP

It doesn't help that on the day the console version released, the PC version is up for sale at half the price.
One of the many benefits of PC gaming I'd say 8) Fact is the PC version has been around for ages and needs sales to get new customers on board.

I've now read the PRC blog post on the console launch of AC and feel dumber as a result. I do hope Kunos and 505 sort out the issues asap.

MGR

I mean in the youtube videos, the tearing and framerate drops are very apparent, but youtube amplifies these issues too. With the day1 patch Team VVV seemed to be mostly ok with the framerate and tearing, John from ISR is used to triple screen 144Hz g-sync monitors and from him the jagginess on th XB1 was more of an issue than the framerate and tearing... maybe this stuff has become less acceptable faster on GAF than out there for the average console gamer??

I kinda wanna try the console version to see it for myself. I'm more forgiving for tearing than most gaffers though, just stutter from sudden framedrops I can't stand and am pretty sensetive to.

Would you guys prefer the input lag that comes with a v-sync solution over the current tearing? (I don't even know if the performance overhead would even allow for slight increase that comes from v-snc)

I'm also pretty forgiving when it comes to screen tearing. But this game feels like it never quite reaches 60fps. At best mid to high 50s so it's constantly stuttering.

There's no excuse for this to be anything less than a solid 60fps at all times given the simplicity of the graphics.

danowat

Banned
I don't mean to be snide here: The bar has been lowered.

Framerate I can try to tune out, but screen-tearing mid-turn (especially in a block of cars) is just unacceptable. Enough devs haven't optimized in a way that avoids it, so it's just becoming the new norm. It bugs me.
I'm not for one second saying it's acceptable or desirable, but for me it's playable, of course I would prefer a solid 60fps with no tearing though.

All I can hope for is that patches bring improvements and not make things worse like JC3 did!

Solal

I'm also pretty forgiving when it comes to screen tearing. But this game feels like it never quite reaches 60fps. At best mid to high 50s so it's constantly stuttering.

There's no excuse for this to be anything less than a solid 60fps at all times given the simplicity of the graphics.

This. 10 times.

Wtf is going with the car games where the framerate is systematically sacrificed for eye candy ? Framerate is a number, it's objective: they fucking know their engine sucks... but they don't give a shit.

That is an huge issue I have with GT since GT5...and why I think Turn10 is in the right and has a much more integrity than PD..

It's the framerate stupid !!!

This. 10 times.

Wtf is going with the car games where the framerate is systematically sacrificed for eye candy ? Framerate is a number, it's objective: they fucking know their engine sucks... but they don't give a shit.

That is an huge issue I have with GT since GT5...and why I think Turn10 is in the right and has a much more integrity than PD..

This, I'm tired of those "60fps racing games" not actually reaching 60fps at all.

Mascot

This. 10 times.

It's devs writing cheques that their talent can't cash, and it bugs the living shit out of me.

Gestault

I'm not for one second saying it's acceptable or desirable, but for me it's playable, of course I would prefer a solid 60fps with no tearing though.

All I can hope for is that patches bring improvements and not make things worse like JC3 did!

Just Cause 3 still makes me sad with the fallout from its patching.

Jamesways

Didn't see it posted, but a very thorough review by ISR-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm2NCjdFM-U

edit to comment on old posts-
Music to my ears.

Test Drive Ferrari Racing Legends is one of the best racing games in past decade.

Never Forget.
We've talked about this in the past, but I thought it was one of most creative careers in a racing game. Not only did you feel like a driver for Ferrari, but I loved the stories through the eras. It created such memorable races.
That F333 SP race at Road America was such a thrill. Great story set up, and a creative goal to pass a rival and ensure your teammate finished ahead to win the championship while managing 7 laps with worn tires. Just amazing moments of career races from that and from Shift 2. I can't say that about some of the other big racing games I've played.
I loved the look of the game, I loved the cars and the track list. I was really bummed with the Scottish track DLC released for pCARS and the layout of Misty Loch was changed.

High Five!
From our conversations, it's a crying shame what Atari did to SimBin. At least they got all of the DLC packs through certification before support was completely pulled.

It was a really hard decision to sell the 360 and these games when I got the ps4. I doubt that will ever be on the PS Now list.

TJP

I know I read like a broken record about post processing filters however I'll maintain if the Yebis 2 filters were lowered or turned off completely, the console versions would exceed 60fps.

Back in March I was trying various weather mods and I used the in-game benchmarking tool (Spa with 16 AI cars, player at back of grid) with post processing filters on and off to find how much stress it caused. The results were as follows:

PP set to their defaults:
FPS: AVG=114 MIN=67 MAX=135 VARIANCE=0 CPU=50% (50% CPU usage)

No PP:
FPS: AVG=154 MIN=101 MAX=221 VARIANCE=0 CPU=62% (38% CPU usage)

I haven't bothered more recently and as such the differences *may* have varied due to new shaders and general performance gains. People can look at the Yebis showcase and make up their own minds whether godrays and a few reflections are worth 40fps (bare in mind there is a photo mode pp filter): www.siliconstudio.co.jp/middleware/yebis/en/showcase/gamelist/

Given the dev time Kunos/505 has spent pushing out two console releases that are at present technically flawed it makes me wonder why they bothered apart from the obvious money reason 8) Kunos could have completed the PC version and ported it to the consoles. I remain hopeful AC will be fixed for console players; will customers hang around waiting for the fixes or will they return to more complete alternatives?

Jamesways

From the official FB page-
Hi everyone! As you can all imagine, it’s been incredibly busy across our community channels in the last 48 hours. Therefore, we want to use this post as an opportunity to address some of the biggest FAQ’s we’ve seen recently…
ADDITIONAL CARS (PERFORMANCE AND PRESTIGE PACKS)
Over the last few days, an increasing number of our community members have been asking about the availability of the PRESTIGE and PERFORMANCE bonus cars for those who own the standard edition of Assetto Corsa. Right now, we don’t have any information to share. Should this change in the near future, we will let you know across our Official community channels.
PLEASE NOTE – The Assetto Corsa Season Pass DOES NOT contain the additional bonus cars seen in the PRESTIGE and PERFORMANCE packs.
ISSUES / BUGS
If you are experiencing issues with the console edition of Assetto Corsa, please head over to our Support Forums... http://bit.ly/2bFUtt6
PRIVATE LOBBIES
We hear you! Our biggest priority with the console editions of Assetto Corsa was to release a stable game with great driving. Be rest assured, going forward, we are going to do our very best to take community feedback on board and build upon the foundations we’ve laid.
STEERING WHEELS
A number of players have been asking us about the compatibility of certain steering wheels. Please refer to our Official website, where we have published a list of supported and compatible wheels...
www.console.assettocorsa.net/supported-wheels.php

Interesting about the pre-order cars. Maybe they'll be available, maybe not. And not included with the season pass.

Lovely.

Ok, stability control is a must if you're using a controller. Around 80% and actually feels natural.
Stability control works a bit like a cheat mode though in AC, it applies a force to the car to keep it from rotating. It is not an actually simulated system that applies brakeforce on wheels.

Just to be clear, I'm not telling you how to play the game, I suggested AC's STM to other pad players myself, just for your information.

No PP:
FPS: AVG=154 MIN=101 MAX=221 VARIANCE=0 CPU=62% (38% CPU usage)

If I remember right, the CPU percentage says how much earlier the CPU finishes its workshare for one frame than the GPU does. So, that's actually a 12% higher CPU usage without post-processing. Playing yourself instead of watching the benchmark AI race also lowers the framerate significantly for me... maybe that's because the AI is racing a simpler tire model, idk.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Stability control works a bit like a cheat mode though in AC, it applies a force to the car to keep it from rotating. It is not an actually simulated system that applies brakeforce on wheels.

Just to be clear, I'm not telling you how to play the game, I suggested AC's STM to other pad players myself, just for your information.

If I remember right, the CPU percentage says how much earlier the CPU finishes its workshare for one frame than the GPU does. So, that's actually a 12% higher CPU usage without post-processing. Playing yourself instead of watching the benchmark AI race also lowers the framerate significantly for me... maybe that's because the AI is racing a simpler tire model, idk.

Yeah man I understand what you mean. I will try to get used to no stability control but I feel like I have no control of the car when drifting even when Im counter steering correctly.

MGR

I know I read like a broken record about post processing filters however I'll maintain if the Yebis 2 filters were lowered or turned off completely, the console versions would exceed 60fps.

Probably. But we can't even remap controller buttons. My custom fab'd handbrake mapped to L3 is going to waste :( Can't see them providing graphics options any time soon.

Interesting about the pre-order cars. Maybe they'll be available, maybe not. And not included with the season pass.

I'm sure they'll be available eventually. They'll be contractually obligated to not comment on availability until the timed exclusivity pre-order bonus has lapsed. (whatever length that is). Not that they'll be getting any more money from me with it's current performance.

Hmmm. So this works like SRF (Skid Recovery Force) in Gran Turismo. Maybe that's why I find it basically impossible to gold some of those career events. I'm going to back-to-back test this later.

danowat

Banned
You think you've got your pad settings dialled in, then you drive the KTM X-Bow!!! Back to the drawing board.

Has anyone managed to finish first in the BMW E30 race in the N2 series? Even on easy first place is putting 4 secs a lap into me.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Fffnnnnnn I'd get this just to play Monza 66 and Zandoort again. Haven't raced on those since Grand Prix Legends over 15yrs ago. Those tracks were amazing with the wheel.

Does it have classic Nordschleife or classic Spa coming as well? (Classic Spa was similar to the Nordschleife in length).

You think you've got your pad settings dialled in, then you drive the KTM X-Bow!!! Back to the drawing board.

Has anyone managed to finish first in the BMW E30 race in the N2 series? Even on easy first place is putting 4 secs a lap into me.
The KTM Xbow is always a bit of a handful in games, and yet every real world review I've seen says it's incredibly forgiving!

terrible

Banned
Seems only Forza and Dirt Rally actually maintain a consistant 60fps. Project cars and AC seems to be a total mess when it comes to framerate.

I don't think I've seen Forza 6 even drop a single frame the entire time I've played it. I don't know how turn 10 does it but they really have that 60 FPS locked down. It's sort of funny considering how much of a mess Forza Apex is on PC while Assetto Corsa on PC runs beautifully lol.

danowat

Banned
I don't think I've seen Forza 6 even drop a single frame the entire time I've played it. I don't know how turn 10 does it but they really have that 60 FPS locked down. It's sort of funny considering how much of a mess Forza Apex is on PC while Assetto Corsa on PC runs beautifully lol.
They have arguably the greatest handle on the Xbox architecture of any developer, plus they also have the luxury of only having to worry about a single platform.

For what pcars manages to simulate it does bloody well.

AC still uses a brush tyre model, which is likely to hit the performance on consoles.

Solal

Seems only Forza and Dirt Rally actually maintain a consistant 60fps. Project cars and AC seems to be a total mess when it comes to framerate.

I don't know how it was at the release, but I have both games and P cars and Asseto Corsa's framerates are not even comparable on PS4.

Right now, P cars is butter smooth compared to this pile of shit.

Asseto Corsa is by far the worst performing racing game on the market: stutters in every corner and massive screen tearing ... It baffles me how Kunos seems to get away with it in many reviews.

I was hoping AC was gonna be the sim messiah...and it ends up being the crappiest port ever.

I don't care if the FFB are fantastic, the sounds are spot on, and the tracks are laser scanned: the game reminds you every second that you are only playing a video game as the picture stutters and tears all the time. How some people can get immersed in these conditions makes me really envious. But at the same time it makes me angry because that s because of this "indulgence" that devs get away with poor performance (look how GT5 and 6 got away with it... disgusting)

I am really looking forward to DF's analysis as I think we are going to reach a new low in terms of performance.

danowat

Banned
No one can deny the screen tearing, it's almost constant, outside of that I find the framerate playable and have not encountered any stuttering.

Does it have classic Nordschleife or classic Spa coming as well? (Classic Spa was similar to the Nordschleife in length).

They obtained data for classic Spa(full length), but it's just too much work for them at the moment. I can't see classic Nordschleife coming, but we'll get classic Silverstone soon, one american track and a fantasy road course based on either laserscan data from the US or Scotland (<-- boy, I hope I remember that correctly).

Top Bottom