• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AT&T Is Spying on Americans for Profit, New Documents Reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

It's called Project Hemisphere.

Hemisphere is a secretive program run by AT&T that searches trillions of call records and analyzes cellular data to determine where a target is located, with whom he speaks, and potentially why.

In 2013, Hemisphere was revealed by The New York Times and described only within a Powerpoint presentation made by the Drug Enforcement Administration. The Times described it as a “partnership” between AT&T and the U.S. government; the Justice Department said it was an essential, and prudently deployed, counter-narcotics tool.

However, AT&T’s own documentation—reported here by The Daily Beast for the first time—shows Hemisphere was used far beyond the war on drugs to include everything from investigations of homicide to Medicaid fraud.

Hemisphere isn’t a “partnership” but rather a product AT&T developed, marketed, and sold at a cost of millions of dollars per year to taxpayers. No warrant is required to make use of the company’s massive trove of data, according to AT&T documents, only a promise from law enforcement to not disclose Hemisphere if an investigation using it becomes public.

While telecommunications companies are legally obligated to hand over records, AT&T appears to have gone much further to make the enterprise profitable, according to ACLU technology policy analyst Christopher Soghoian.

AT&T has a unique power to extract information from its metadata because it retains so much of it. The company owns more than three-quarters of U.S. landline switches, and the second largest share of the nation’s wireless infrastructure and cellphone towers, behind Verizon. AT&T retains its cell tower data going back to July 2008, longer than other providers. Verizon holds records for a year and Sprint for 18 months, according to a 2011 retention schedule obtained by The Daily Beast.

Sheriff and police departments pay from $100,000 to upward of $1 million a year or more for Hemisphere access. Harris County, Texas, home to Houston, made its inaugural payment to AT&T of $77,924 in 2007, according to a contract reviewed by The Daily Beast. Four years later, the county’s Hemisphere bill had increased more than tenfold to $940,000.

AT&T stores details for every call, text message, Skype chat, or other communication that has passed through its infrastructure, retaining many records dating back to 1987, according to the Times 2013 Hemisphere report. The scope and length of the collection has accumulated trillions of records and is believed to be larger than any phone record database collected by the NSA under the Patriot Act, the Times reported.

More here:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/10/25/at-t-is-spying-on-americans-for-profit.html

only a promise from law enforcement to not disclose Hemisphere if an investigation using it becomes public.
I wonder if this means they'll drop your case if you can prove they used this against you, like with Stingray.

IWn.gif

Flo_Evans

Is it not enough to charge you out the ass to use your phone? Gotta squeeze every last drop out of your "customers" fuck privacy.

AT&T stores details for every call, text message, Skype chat, or other communication that has passed through its infrastructure, retaining many records dating back to 1987, according to the Times 2013 Hemisphere report.

Wow. Sheesh

seems like they are mostly profiting from selling this info to the gov't, which probably deserves as much or more of the blame for all of this for creating & encouraging the market for it to begin with.

Beefy

Is it not enough to charge you out the ass to use your phone? Gotta squeeze every last drop out of your "customers" fuck privacy.

Yeah. I am not surprised they spy on their customers. But the making money while doing it seems even lower.

Jezbollah

The real question here is: Does it end with AT&T only? Or are other providers in similar agreements with the US Government?

CHC

Pretty sickening - probably even more so because it's so thoroughly unsurprising. I wonder if the government is going to pretend to be upset about this one or just let the whole thing blow over by itself.

And the odds that this affects their upcoming merger? Probably zero, I'm guessing.

wildfire

Banned
And people questioned why I would elevate ATT as more nefarious than other telecoms.

Since 2005 a small number of articles McAfee it clear that while other companies are reluctantly complying ATT has been proactive in helping law enforcement.

I suspected this attitude led to over reach of what they should do and here we are.

KingBroly

Banned
I'm not shocked

When you visit ESPN to look up Sports news then go to youtube to conveniently see highlights of stuff you just looked up on your home page, it all seems a bit too convenient.

Alavard

I'm not shocked

When you visit ESPN to look up Sports news then go to youtube to conveniently see highlights of stuff you just looked up on your home page, it all seems a bit too convenient.

That has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand.

SaganIsGOAT

I'm not shocked

keep an eye on the ads you get on neogaf and notice how they often relate directly to the thread you are posting in

Kthulhu

Wow, fuck off AT&T. Also fuck my city for using this shit.

I know no one in Washington gives two shits, but we really need someone who will ban this kinda stuff.

I'm not shocked

That's not how ads work, and even if they did, that has nothing to do with the article.

l2ounD

This doesnt really upset me anyway since google pretty much records all my life with chat/gps/search. What I kinda thought was freaky was listening through my past "ok google" phone searches. Like how can it record me saying "ok google" before I even say the phrase?

But with google at least I have access to the data they store and can delete, other companies that arent as transparent can seem sketchy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom