• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AT&T Is Spying on Americans for Profit, New Documents Reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TI82

Banned
So who can I switch to for $40/month unlimited everything and keep my phone? T-Mobile doesn't work in my new state unfortunately.

Koyuga

I'm not surprised. I'm 100% sure that all the other big corps are doing it too, Comcast, Verizon etc. Information is very, very valuable to advertisers.

Well, hell. I switched from AT&T to Sprint early this year, and it's more expensive with remarkably poor coverage. Was planning to switch back as soon as I could. Now I guess I'll have to gamble on another one.

Opto

Banned
You are the product. Now it's becoming sensible to becoming a paranoid hacker with jailbroken devices.

So, is this happening mostly with local level government offices like the police? The way it's worded, it seems like it's being sold more to local level as opposed to federal agencies like the FBI (who have done such stuff in the past and gotten blasted for it when it became public)

jambo

AT&T and NSA

Oho10LF.gif

Yeah. I am not surprised they spy on their customers. But the making money while doing it seems even lower.

That's hardly surprising. Everybody watch Google make billions in adverts and wants to do the same. I mean, your service providers know more about you than Google. Everything you do go through their network. They don't want to become low margin commodity resellers.

Back in the days, we use to sell features to the telcos like Call Id, Call Waiting, 3 way calling, etc... Nowadays they ask for stuff like deep packet inspection technology and analytic tools to make heads of the data. They just haven't figure out how to turn this into money because, they don't know where to shove their ads. That's why AT&T needs to buy Warner, but in the interim, why not make a few bucks selling your data to the government?

AT&T stores details for every call, text message, Skype chat, or other communication that has passed through its infrastructure, retaining many records dating back to 1987,

When I read sentences like this that are at worst lies and at best woefully and intentionally misleading I tend to treat the entire article suspect as some actual Revelation

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
I think the fact that this thread has under 100 posts shows how blasé we are with this kind of shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom