• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atari box available to pre order from 14/12/17

Toe-Knee

Just got an email

2017-12-11%2017.43.42.png

Hmm it isn't showing the image so here's a link to it

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e6f0so2h2kyvewn/2017-12-11 17.43.42.png?dl=0

Still no solid info on the box itself though.

Toe-Knee

Yes but preordering what, exactly? We know almost zero info about this thing.

Exactly. All I know is it looks cool and has an amd apu.

Oh it has a traditional atari joystick too. Beyond that I know nothing. If it's priced well I may pick one up if it runs android and use it as a streaming /emu box

BANGS

Banned
Why would anyone preorder this? We don't even know what the hell it is or if/when it will ever release lmfao...

Petrae

Thomas Tusser would be glowingly proud of this. Sell ‘em on a name. Fuck the details— they’re not important.

wondermega

I want to believe - but seriously show ANY software first. This seems like a terrible move, and what was intriguing previously now feels like a smokescreen.

Shifty

I want to believe - but seriously show ANY software first. This seems like a terrible move, and what was intriguing previously now feels like a smokescreen.

Tempest 4000. Believe.

Worst-case, the joystick might be cool providing it works on stuff that isn't the AtariBox

DiscoJer

Yes but preordering what, exactly? We know almost zero info about this thing.

It's basically a mid range PC running Linux that comes in a simulated woodgrain case, old style controller, and apparently will have a bunch of 2600 games preloaded on it.

The new Commodore actually did something similar a few years back, selling meh PCs in a C-64 style case.

wondermega

It's basically a mid range PC running Linux that comes in a simulated woodgrain case, old style controller, and apparently will have a bunch of 2600 games preloaded on it.

The new Commodore actually did something similar a few years back, selling meh PCs in a C-64 style case.
It seems kind of ridiculous for them to be releasing such a thing, when they already have the much lower-priced flashback. But I mean, kudos to them for offering options depending on how much people want to pay. Anyway if they could get it playing more than just 2600 games - other retro titles - that could be interesting, of course I am dreaming but weirder things have happened I suppose.

EdgeXL

This thing is going to bomb bigger than the Jaguar.

The retro 2600 scene is not as big as some people think. Those games are available on Steam and if I am not mistaken - PS4 and XB1 as well. There are also the flashback consoles.

Virtually all of the people who want vintage Atari 2600 games have them. Game shops like Luna will sell you a 2600 plus ANY ten 2600 games of your choice for $60.

I just don't see many people dropping $250 to $300 for a console that plays retro Atari games along with some current indies.

Top Bottom