• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Meruru |OT| of Atelier Chronicles: My Life as a Princess

vall03

still not finished with Rorona and Totori is still unplayed. Hopefully I can finish both in a couple of months. Will get this early, since these type of games tend to get rare quite fast in my country.

That's a nice OT we have here! :D I have it pre-ordered on Amazon and can't wait for next week. I would have loved to get the limited edition but for me having no way to pay at the NISA store I have never a chance to get these. :(

And it's really great how they evolved the series to this point with all the little love for detail it makes me happy for every cent I spend to support them.

Animekatt

I'm very excited for this. I platinumed Totori two weeks ago, so I could dive straight into this game.

Like everyone else, I'm annoyed that they made Rorona a kid. If they made Etsy look 20 when she's 40, they could've done the same with Rorona.

Can't wait to have Sterk in my party. Love him to pieces.

Wilsongt

Pre-ordered limited edition, just like the other two. NISA certainly knows their target audience: Large size for the t-shirt only? =/

The game looks really good overall, so I will try to get past my distaste for de-aging Rorona. (Which I wouldn't actually have a problem with if Gust hadn't come out and said they didn't want a heroine to get into her 30s. Oh well.)

Animekatt

I feel silly for discussing this but I think a Rorona - Iksel pairing is better than Rorona and Sterk. Sterk was with Astrid and he's like way older. Him and Rorona would make him seem like a creep.

That actually would be my second choice. I hope he would atleast make a cameo in Meruru.

And don't feel silly discussing this! You know you like to talk about shipping characters together >:D.

Durante

Both Sterk and Esty are over 30 now, right? (isn't Sterk going on 40?) If I look 1/3rd as fit as Sterk at that age I'll be happy.

Oh, and I love Esty's character design.

Edit - just noticed this:
Additionally, now some party members will attack groups of enemies in battle, rather than just one (Sterk and Mimi still only attack one).
I remember that Rorona had an AoE attack as the default in Totori, so that's not entirely new.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I don't mind Rorona, at least now she looks the age she has always acted.

ZING! XD

Both Sterk and Esty are over 30 now, right? (isn't Sterk going on 40?) If I look 1/3rd as fit as Sterk at that age I'll be happy.

Oh, and I love Esty's character design.

I believe Esty's officially 45 now! o_O.
And SMOKING HOT!!

Edit - just noticed this:
I remember that Rorona had an AoE attack as the default in Totori, so that's not entirely new.

Forgot that, yeah Rorona did have AoE normal attack, but I think more characters do in Meruru than just the one.

Stuart444

I found Totori too stressful compared to Rorona (and the opening movie is also much inferior to Rorona imo although the music is lovely).

Mainly due to the time that is wasted from moving between Arland and Totoris village which makes it a lot more stressful.

I won't get this for a little while but I will get it eventually after I complete Totori.

Durante

I feel like you have tons of time in Totori. The Arland/Alanya trip is 7 days after you upgrade the carriage (really early), and you still have years left once you get the ability to travel between them instantly.

And SMOKING HOT!!
wtf

Stuart444

I feel like you have tons of time in Totori. The Arland/Alanya trip is 7 days after you upgrade the carriage (really early), and you still have years left once you get the ability to travel between them instantly.

It's hard to get that far when your motivation is destroyed from stress trying to keep up with it near the beginning. Not to mention I want to see every scene in Totori (heck, I still need to go back to Rorona and get the perfect/true end since I missed on that last time)

I hope it's less stressful in Meruru but hey... I do think Totoris character design looks better in this than in Totori (or maybe it's just her clothes design. I like it either way)

edit:

This becomes a nonissue later in the game, though. Overall I would say, you have a lot more time in Totori than in Rorona.

As I said, early on it feels like I have waaay less time in Totori than Rorona especially when making sure I have time for everything else (scenes, friends, etc since I also want the true/perfect end).

I plan on trying to follow one of the guides on gfaqs to get through it but for what it's worth, I do enjoy Totori even if I find it stressful.

Durante

You should just play normally and without trying to get everything for the first time through, and without a guide. You should still be easily able to achieve the normal ending with time to spare. Then spend that time crafting the best weapons/accessories for all your characters and getting lots of money.

Both money and equipment carry over to NG+, so you won't have to worry about that and can focus on getting any scenes/endings you missed. (probably with a guide)

Coxy

Aw man, I'd been saving replaying Totori and platinuming it for a rainy day when I needed a really good game, I cant believe this is here already, dunno if I should try to plat totori first or just play this, have it ordered since march in any case

frequency

I'm currently playing through English Rorona and Totori to prepare for English Meruru. I finished Rorona this weekend and started Totori.

I remember Totori being waaaaay more relaxed with time than Rorona is. And playing it again now, I still feel the same way.

Totori counts time for battles and gathering, so maybe it's one of those things where it's just more apparent that time is passing?

Stuart444

Totori counts time for battles and gathering, so maybe it's one of those things where it's just more apparent that time is passing?

It probably is that...

and for me, it also seems to focus on the combat aspect (and therefore adventure level) a lot more rather than the alchemy from Rorona so having combat and gathering take up time doesn't help. (especially with some bits needing you to beat powerful enemies/get to certain levels)

I will get through it though at some point. :) Not to mention I want to see that Drunk scene in Totori (similar to the one in Rorona, though I forget who it is in Totori... Filly maybe?). :D

edit: Looking on ebay at Totori. Judging by those prices, I'll probably get Meruru when it goes under 30 (maybe 20 but if Totori is any indication, between 20 and 30 pounds is the best it will be >_> )

And SMOKING HOT!!

Esty was actually the source of a lot of complaining in Japan in relation to the "de-aged Rorona" thing, since Gust openly stated they did that because they thought players would react badly to an "older" Rorona. The response once Esty was revealed was more or less: "well, shit, if someone pushin' middle age can look like that in an Arland game, just leave Rorona the way she was!" Famitsu even ran a poll concerning "older Rorona vs. kid Rorona, which do you prefer" and older Rorona won by some ridiculous, 2-to-1 margin or somesuch.

Anyway, for what it's worth, this game also reviewed insanely well in Japan; it came out the same week as Mass Effect 2, and basically tied with that game for the top review spot. It managed a 36/40 in Famitsu, an aggregate 90 or so in Dengeki, and lots of other positive reviews besides. The general feeling in Japan seems to be that this is one of the best games Gust has ever made, is definitely the best Atelier game since Violet, and it might be the best game in the franchise's 15-year history, though that one's contentious. I'm really curious to see what the wider review circuit here in Eagleland will do with the game.

And yes I preordered mostly to get that barrel t-shirt

frequency

I think Totori was really well received too.

But I think the only thing I like less about Meruru is that Meruru has a weird running animation. And Totori is a cuter protagonist.

Very minor things. It plays better and I guess that's the most important thing or whatever.
I remember the improvements not being as surprising as the leap from Rorona to Totori though.

tiff

Banned
I don't believe I ever got that ability. I must not have been as far in Totori as I thought.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I think Totori was really well received too.

But I think the only thing I like less about Meruru is that Meruru has a weird running animation. And Totori is a cuter protagonist.
I like Totori's design better than Meruru's too. Actually, out of all three, Totori's is probably my favourite due to dress colour palette. But I think Meruru in general has some better character designs than Totori (which were already fine in general). Like, Gino has a better design here, and Lias isn't bad to look at.

Anyway, I'm enjoying Totori a lot more than I did Rorona. It isn't as strict with regards to time stuff, so I feel like I can get more done in general. Plus the plat seems easier to attain. Wonder if Merururuuuuu is similar in that respect.

WV1Hd.gif

Guess this gives me more time to beat Totori. ):

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
NOOOOOOOOOOOO. Guess this gives me some more time to finish my playthrough of Neptunia Mk. 2...

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
... well fuck. I even took a week off from work to play it. >_> So much for that. Updating OP.

graywolf323

just got an update from the NISA online store as well, it gives further detail as to what happened

"Dear Valued Customer and Royal Alchemic Apprentice,

Thank you for preordering Atelier Meruru: The Apprentice of Arland from the NISA Online Store. We are grateful for your support!

Unfortunately a delay has occurred during our manufacturing process for Atelier Meruru that has caused a 1 week delay on the official release date of this great adventure. This changes the official release date of the title Atelier Meruru from May 22nd to May 29th. This delay will affect the release date of all retailers in North America.

In response to that delay, our Online Store had decided to push back the billing date for preorders for Atelier Meruru from May 15th (today) to May 21st (Monday of next week). We will be shipping out our orders once our billing process is completed. Because of the large amount of orders, we may not be able to have all of our customers' orders shipped out on the same day, so if you do not receive your tracking information the day after you are billed, do not worry, we are still processing your orders.

We greatly appreciate your support and patience so far with this process and apologize for any inconvenience that this occurrence might have caused.

Thank you for your time, and please have a great day!
Best wishes,

NISA Online Store"

Eusis

For some reason I was thinking this was set to today. Actually, knowing NISA it originally was, wasn't it? I commented on the bad timing relative to Diablo III awhile back.

graywolf323

For some reason I was thinking this was set to today. Actually, knowing NISA it originally was, wasn't it? I commented on the bad timing relative to Diablo III awhile back.

if you ordered from the official store they were going to start charging today and shipping them out later this week but it was always the 22nd for release date

Top Bottom