• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Shallie Plus: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea |OT| Now includes spare time!

Cornbread78

9pWxQq0.jpg

Developer: Gust Co. Ltd.
Publisher(s):
JP: Gust Co. Ltd.
WW: Koei Tecmo
Distributor: Koei Tecmo Holdings, Gust Co. Ltd.
Platform(s) PlayStation Vita
Release date(s):
NA: January 17, 2017
EU: January 20, 2017
Genre: Role-playing
Mode: Single-player
http://www.koeitecmoamerica.com/shallieplus/
http://www.ateliergames.eu/shallieplus/

Where to buy Physical Version:
NA NISA Store
EU NISA Store

The game will be available digitally in North America (PSN), and both physically and digitally in Europe. In both North America and Europe, however, NIS America will sell a $54.99 / £49.99 limited edition via its online store. It includes:

sDHw7p5.jpg

-Atelier Shallie Plus: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea for PS Vita
-30-Track original soundtrack with jewel case
-Microfiber cloth (6″ x 6″)
-Full-color, 48-page softcover art book
-Collector’s box (Includes all the above)

PSN:
Atelier Shallie Plus: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea Vita
$39.99

Added DLC for the “Plus” Vita version:
- Escha" and "Solle" Included; Escha and Solle become party members. Creating new party lineups, and fighting battles are all more fun with them in the mix.
- Charming Swimsuit Costumes; Eight characters, including Shallistera, Shallotte, Escha, and Wilbell, also have swimsuit costumes
- Additional Area and Extra Bosses; The well received "Abyss" extra area from the PS3 version is included. This challenge map features some brutal foes!

Gameplay updates (same as PS3 Version):
When a new chapter starts, you will come up with a Life Task related to the story. These Life Tasks represent things that Shallie feels she "needs to do." If you check these as you play as a guideline, you'll always know what to do to advance the story!

After progressing the story a certain amount, you will enter a period where you can accomplish other goals. During this time, Shallie will come up with things she "wants to do" to match your actions. You're free to pick among these Life Tasks, and complete whichever ones you like. Upon completion, you'll gain bonuses like experience points! It's fine to focus on synthesis or requests, or travel the world. Try all kinds of things!

Story Synopsis:
In this game, the player will assume the role of Shallistera and Shallotte, who are alchemists seeking to solve the issues within their village and city. Shallistera is the daughter of the ship family’s leader. She is in searches for a means to save her home village from a severe drought and travels to the main town to seek help and assistance. Shallotte on the other hand is a novice alchemist who is taking on odd partime jobs at the main town. She ends up meeting Shallistera by accident and agrees to help her solve the drought issue.

There are also additional story chapters that goes deeper into Shallies daily life and also the mysteries behind the dusk, a phenomenon that is causing the worldwide drought. Also the new story chapters introduces new characters like Ayesha, Keithgrif, Escha, and Logy. There are also additional dungeons to explore and new enemy bosses to battle

Historical note for the "Dusk Series":
The game's story takes place about 10 years after the beginning of Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk and 6 years after the beginning of Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky. Shallistera's story will reveal the truth and mysteries that have been depicted throughout the Dusk series, while Shallotte's story will revolve around the daily life in the world.

Characters:
fQs1N9P.jpg

Shallistera Argo
Voiced by: Kotori Koiwai
The leader of a ship family's daughter who searches for a means to save her home village from drought and travels to the oasis town to do so. She is given the responsibility of protecting a sacred alchemist relic.

Shallotte Elminus
Voiced by: Sumire Uesaka (Japanese); Sarah Anne Williams (English)
An inexperienced young girl who obtains few subcontracting jobs. She works as an alchemist and continues to run her late father's atelier while also receiving alchemy training from Wilbell.

Kortes Argo
Voiced by: Yoshitsugu Matsuoka (Japanese); Lucien Dodge (English)
Shallistera's guard and childhood friend, who fights with a pike. He is a soldier of Shallistera's family, but he is doubtful towards the customs of his hometown after as a child seeing the modern oasis town and the progressing alchemy.]

Miruca Crotze
Voiced by: Rina Hidaka (Japanese); Mela Lee (English)
A young alchemist who runs a small atelier,[20][21] where she offers to create armor and weapons for the player. She is a childhood friend of Shallotte and the younger sister of Jurie Crotze.

Jurie Crotze
Voiced by: Kanae Itou (Japanese); Erica Lindbeck (English)
A treasure hunter who aims to obtain riches and pay of her debts by seeking out treasures told of in legends. She is the older sister of Miruca Crotze, and hopes to live happily with her once she has paid of her debts.

Wilbell voll Erslied
Voiced by: Asami Seto (Japanese); Cristina Valenzuela (English)
A sorceress in training who travels to the area in order to make contracts with spirits. She becomes Shallotte's teacher. Wilbell is a returning character in the "Dusk" series, and initially appeared in Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk. She looks younger than her actual age, which bothers her.

Homura
Voiced by: Haruka Terui (Japanese); Kira Buckland (English)
A nihilistic homunculus who is an experienced treasure hunter. Homura is a strong fighter and is learning an old kind of swordsmanship. He is well respected among the other homunculi because of his good speaking skills.

Keithgriff Hazeldine
Voiced by: Jōji Nakata (Japanese); Richard Epcar (English)
First seen in Atelier Ayesha, he is an experienced alchemist from another country with a keen interest about ancient times. He is searching for remains of ancient alchemy together with Odelia, an automaton who serves him. He is always holding on to his smoking pipe.

Escha Malier
Voiced by: Rie Murakawa (Japanese); Lindsay Torrance (English)
A returning character and one of the main characters from Atelier Escha & Logy, Escha is an alchemist like Shallistera and Shallotte, and government official summoned by Solle to the oasis town in order to continue the investigations. Ancient alchemy is her strongest skill, but her attempts on challenging the uses of alchemy gives cause to turbulence. Like Solle, she is only available to play via DLC.

Solle Grumman
Voiced by: Daisuke Matsubara (Japanese); Ray Chase (English)
A returning character from Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky. Solle is a government official sent for the sake of investigating the oasis town and to set up a Branch Office in the town. Like Escha, he is only available to play via DLC.] He has a sharp tongue, and in his spare time he likes to bake sweets.

Logix "Logy" Fiscario
Voiced by: Kaito Ishikawa (Japanese); Jason Baker (English)
A returning character and one of the main characters from Atelier Escha & Logy. (He only appears in the "Plus" version)

Ayesha Altugle:
Voiced by: Marina Inoue (Japanese); Erika Harlacher (English)
A returning character and the main character from Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk. (She only appears in the "Plus" version)

Screenshots:
ZIVL31U.jpg
EuVyZFJ.jpg

hIiuMg9.png
P70tcbK.jpg

tbYGbGv.jpg
ymDwpXb.png

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CnY0TkLP08

Reviews:
Metacritic Site for Vita + version

Moonlitasteria:
https://moonlitasteria.wordpress.com...-the-dusk-sea/

Original PS3 OT:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1006933&highlight=shallie

n1sky7K.jpg

Threw this together since the game deserves some love. It's a fitting end to the Dusk trilogy...

From what I gathered this is the one Atelier game that's worth the double-dip/re-play if you already played since it adds a bunch of new story content, right?

Cornbread78

From what I gathered this is the one Atelier game that's worth the double-dip/re-play if you already played since it adds a bunch of new story content, right?

I couldn't find a more specific breakdown from what I put in the OP, but it expands the word quite a bit and helps tie up all the other stories within the "Dusk" trilogy.

Been really excited for this, but haven't been able to finish Escha & Logy Plus before it releases. Plus I need a little breather. Still buying it day 1 just to show support though, if anything because I'm impressed Koei-Tecmo are doing a retail release for Vita in 2017 after doing none in 2016.

Also, because it looks great, and I skipped the original on PS3 in order to play the inevitable Vita version.

Saphirax

Waiting for Shopto to dispatch my game~.

I read that both of the main characters get special skills in NG+. Shallistera's seems better so I guess it'd be best to leave her for the second playthrough?

godisntheradio

Neo Member
i preordered the le but i'm still playing through escha & logy plus, i'm loving it just as much as ayesha. I can't wait for the end of the trilogy.

Wait, I'm confused. There IS new story content? Also, does the "spare time" in the OT title refer to a new system or mechanic? Because the rest of the post suggests there are zero changes to the story time/free time system (which frankly is the worst thing about the game).

If there is more story, I wonder why this game of all of the Dusk series got the new chapters. I guess because this was the last game and they wanted to wrap stuff up?

Saphirax

Wait, I'm confused. There IS new story content? Also, does the "spare time" in the OT title refer to a new system or mechanic? Because the rest of the post suggests there are zero changes to the story time/free time system (which frankly is the worst thing about the game).

If there is more story, I wonder why this game of all of the Dusk series got the new chapters. I guess because this was the last game and they wanted to wrap stuff up?

Yep. New story content and characters from the previous Atelier games. Stuff was left unexplained in the original so that's why this plus version has more than just the DLC.

Cornbread78

Two different things.

"Spare Time is referring to:

When a new chapter starts, you will come up with a Life Task related to the story. These Life Tasks represent things that Shallie feels she "needs to do." If you check these as you play as a guideline, you'll always know what to do to advance the story!

After progressing the story a certain amount, you will enter a period where you can accomplish other goals. During this time, Shallie will come up with things she "wants to do" to match your actions. You're free to pick among these Life Tasks, and complete whichever ones you like. Upon completion, you'll gain bonuses like experience points! It's fine to focus on synthesis or requests, or travel the world. Try all kinds of things!

Essentially, they are giving you time to do side quests and other events at your pace once you hit certain points in the story (praise the sun!)

On the DLC, they are adding characters and story bosses to help close out the Dusk trilogy.

EDIT: beaten.....
Yep. New story content and characters from the previous Atelier games. Stuff was left unexplained in the original so that's why this plus version has more than just the DLC.

Yeah, what he said...

"Spare Time is referring to:

Essentially, they are giving you time to do side quests and other events at your pace once you hit certain points in the story (praise the sun!)

Right, that's the part that confuses me. This is exactly how the original Shallie worked (though I take issue with "at your pace" since the game would just arbitrarily decide "yup no more free time for you because you filled the meter!"). So is "spare time" actually a new feature to Shallie Plus or is it just the same free time system from the original Shallie?

Cornbread78

Right, that's the part that confuses me. This is exactly how the original Shallie worked (though I take issue with "at your pace" since the game would just arbitrarily decide "yup no more free time for you because you filled the meter!"). So is "spare time" actually a new feature to Shallie Plus or is it just the same free time system from the original Shallie?

Same time system as far as I'm aware. The time element is mentioned/highlighted more for those that did not pick up the PS3 version. I think I did put "Same as PS3 version" in the OP.

Same early reviews:

Twinfinite:
http://twinfinite.net/2017/01/atelier-shallie-plus-alchemists-of-the-dusk-sea-review/

Moonlitasteria:
https://moonlitasteria.wordpress.co...lier-shallie-plus-alchemists-of-the-dusk-sea/

Same time system as far as I'm aware. The time element is mentioned/highlighted more for those that did not pick up the PS3 version. I think I did put "Same as PS3 version" in the OP.

Same early reviews:

Twinfinite:
http://twinfinite.net/2017/01/atelier-shallie-plus-alchemists-of-the-dusk-sea-review/

Moonlitasteria:
https://moonlitasteria.wordpress.co...lier-shallie-plus-alchemists-of-the-dusk-sea/

Got it. Thanks for the clarification!

Moofers

Shallie
Shallie
Two Shallies....

So I pre-ordered this off the NIS site and got an email saying it delivers today! I'll admit, I have not played a single Atelier game before, and I bought this purely because I'm a bit of a sucker for Vita games, especially colorful ones with a memorable cast. I'll be shelving it for now until I've completed Persona 4 Golden (first time through!) but after that I plan to play Shallie and Sophie (PS4) at the same time while comparing them. Looking forward to it!

Cornbread78

Shallie
Shallie
Two Shallies....

So I pre-ordered this off the NIS site and got an email saying it delivers today! I'll admit, I have not played a single Atelier game before, and I bought this purely because I'm a bit of a sucker for Vita games, especially colorful ones with a memorable cast. I'll be shelving it for now until I've completed Persona 4 Golden (first time through!) but after that I plan to play Shallie and Sophie (PS4) at the same time while comparing them. Looking forward to it!

Just a heads up, this is the third game in the trilogy and ties up all the loose ends from the previous games. Below is the "Dusk Trilogy" order:

1) Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk
2) Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky
3) Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea
3+) Atelier Shallie Plus: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea (has additional DLC to tie everything together)

They are all on Vita now.

Moofers

Just a heads up, this is the third game in the trilogy and ties up all the loose ends from the previous games. Below is the "Dusk Trilogy" order:

1) Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk
2) Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky
3) Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea
3+) Atelier Shallie Plus: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea (has additional DLC to tie everything together)

They are all on Vita now.

How critical is it that I play those other two? I'm hoping since the two Shallies are new characters, I can just follow their story and sort of ignore the other ones. I already got Sophie lined up which I understand is the start of a new 3-part series so I'm already into this series deeper than I should be considering I haven't played one yet.

I guess no matter how you answer I'm going to play Shallie anyway since I own it.

Joe Molotov

How critical is it that I play those other two? I'm hoping since the two Shallies are new characters, I can just follow their story and sort of ignore the other ones. I already got Sophie lined up which I understand is the start of a new 3-part series so I'm already into this series deeper than I should be considering I haven't played one yet.

I guess no matter how you answer I'm going to play Shallie anyway since I own it.

Haven't played this one yet, but most of the Atelier games are fairly self-contained with some recurring characters and references.

General rule with Atelier games is that there are a few minor things that work better if you played previous games in the sub-series but the main storylines are completely self-contained so you're perfectly fine jumping in wherever.

I bought this since I wanted to secure the CE since its the only way to get a physical copy...Would rather have played on PS3 but dem plus versions.

I still have to beat totori, meruru, ayesha, and escha and logy...so I have a while to go until I get to this game. I only just got into the series a few weeks ago and started with rorona and am hooked.

Cornbread78

I bought this since I wanted to secure the CE since its the only way to get a physical copy...Would rather have played on PS3 but dem plus versions.

I still have to beat totori, meruru, ayesha, and escha and logy...so I have a while to go until I get to this game. I only just got into the series a few weeks ago and started with rorona and am hooked.

I played the Atelier trilogy on Vita, but everyone said the Dusk trilogy is better, so I'm hoping they all go up on PSN at some point as a package.

Saphirax

I played the Atelier trilogy on Vita, but everyone said the Dusk trilogy is better, so I'm hoping they all go up on PSN at some point as a package.

What - who told you that? :p It's the other way around. Arland > Dusk. Ayesha is alright, but E&L is utterly forgettable.

What - who told you that? :p It's the other way around. Arland > Dusk. Ayesha is alright, but E&L is utterly forgettable.

This allll day long.

I really wanted to like Dusk. The settings are beautiful; I liked the idea that there's an over-arching plot; combat and alchemy fine-tuning had me excited.

But there's just something about Arland. It's so whimsical; the characters are so likeable in every game. It's just phenomenal. Genuinely, one of my favourite gaming trilogies ever (I just wish Rorona had been a little better).

Dusk's still good though.

It came guys! Won't be able to play it for a while though.

I never, ever believed we'd see a general retail release of an Atelier game on Vita. I thought once Totori was skipped, that was it. Then NISA stepped in with Escha and I thought "hey, maybe I can at least rely on Limited Editions" but then Shallie Plus happened.

Unbelievably happy. Bought it out of support. Now I just hope LRG step in and do the rest :)

Saphirax

My game finally arrived today along with Yakuza 0. Decided to start with Shallistera. My previous post was wrong. No new skills in NG+, but character specific 'skills' from the start - Shallistera is still better to start with.

Cornbread78

My game finally arrived today along with Yakuza 0. Decided to start with Shallistera. My previous post was wrong. No new skills in NG+, but character specific 'skills' from the start - Shallistera is still better to start with.

Lack of "Tales of Berseria" in this statement kinda hurts, lol.

Linkura

This allll day long.

I really wanted to like Dusk. The settings are beautiful; I liked the idea that there's an over-arching plot; combat and alchemy fine-tuning had me excited.

But there's just something about Arland. It's so whimsical; the characters are so likeable in every game. It's just phenomenal. Genuinely, one of my favourite gaming trilogies ever (I just wish Rorona had been a little better).

Dusk's still good though.

It came guys! Won't be able to play it for a while though.

I never, ever believed we'd see a general retail release of an Atelier game on Vita. I thought once Totori was skipped, that was it. Then NISA stepped in with Escha and I thought "hey, maybe I can at least rely on Limited Editions" but then Shallie Plus happened.

Unbelievably happy. Bought it out of support. Now I just hope LRG step in and do the rest :)
Not a fan of Shallie (or Escha/Logy) but damn that is one sweet cover. Older Ayesha is so beautiful too.

Moofers

I heard the guys on the Giant Beastcast go through a list of titles getting released for Q1 2017 in NA and they named Atelier Sophie: Alchemist of the Mysterious Book in February but neglected to say which platform. Is that just an old date for the PS4 version that they never updated or something? Because that's been out since late last year, yeah? Pretty sure that's the one I bought that I've been sitting on.

Saphirax

I heard the guys on the Giant Beastcast go through a list of titles getting released for Q1 2017 in NA and they named Atelier Sophie: Alchemist of the Mysterious Book in February but neglected to say which platform. Is that just an old date for the PS4 version that they never updated or something? Because that's been out since late last year, yeah? Pretty sure that's the one I bought that I've been sitting on.

Probably the Steam release.

Strings

That would be the Steam release.

In terms of Shallie Plus - enjoying it a ton at the moment. The Atelier series is just so overwhelmingly jolly, it's hard to not have fun.

Dandruff5

Neo Member
I'm surprised to see people aren't big fans of Dusk.

Full disclosure, I've only played Mana Khemia and it's one of my top 5 favorite RPGs ever so I'm loving this game. Haven't played any other Atelier game besides that.

The story in this one seems to be weak but all the gathering and synthesis and even the combat is just so good.

If I was a huge fan of Mana and also love the no time limit structure in Shallie, which of the previous Atelier games might I like the best? Really want to go back and play another one when I finish this...

Top Bottom