• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlas internal trailer leaked.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
WildCard Studios the creators of Ark uploaded the trailer in their channel by an error and then deleted the video.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Pirates, skeletons and hidden treasure...

Is this like a more detailed, more game content Sea of Thieves? Sure looks like it.

These guys are terrible developers and can't be trusted to deliver anything that competently functions or is optimized in any real capacity. Also blatant mechanical plagiarism.

Zannegan

Also blatant mechanical plagiarism.
This is an interesting point. I had heard somewhere on the internet (and thus unconsciously internalized it as fact, ha!) that it's almost impossible to patent a game mechanic. You can patent code, or maybe a certain approach to solving a problem, but not mechanics like jumping, or automatic scrolling, throwing objects, etc.

Is there any legal recourse for plagiarism of ideas? I suppose we should be grateful that if so, it's difficult to prove. Otherwise the early proliferation of games and ideas would have been seriously stifled for a couple of decades. It sucks for developers whose works have been ripped off wholesale on the app store/google play.

NOTE: having not played SoT I can't say how egregious this is in copying that.

element

This is an interesting point. I had heard somewhere on the internet (and thus unconsciously internalized it as fact, ha!) that it's almost impossible to patent a game mechanic.
No one is suggesting they stole anything with this game, but the studio has a history of doing some shady stuff. They are basically ambulance chasers of the gaming world.

For a unfinished game there are sure shitload of people who love to play that game.

Most devs probably wish they sold as much as ARK, to be honest. ARK had a player estimate of 9,103,947 from the Steam player count leak in July (22nd from the top), comparatively, Fallout 4 had 6,601,188. And these numbers were supposed to be "low" and not accurate compared to the actual numbers. Keeping in mind this doesn't include the console totals.

If this has the same server setup as ARK (i.e. you can modify it for solo /co-op play to be like Terraria/Minecraft) it'll be pretty neat as that's the way I prefer to play these kind of games, and I know I'm in the minority on that one. Probably like ARK it will be best to wait until things get smoothed out but ARK came a LONG way from the initial Steam release. The last expansion for the season pass, Extinction, comes out this November.

It'll likely be on Xbox Game Preview as well, and have HDR.

I was wondering what Wildcard would make next, so I'll be looking into this. A lot of devs have joined them from major companies since they got bigger.

Last edited:
Well looks like yet another dev that got on the "pirates on the high seas MMO" train that Assassin's Creed III started a while back. Looks like a lot of game devs or publishers looked at that game and thought "they should have made the game around THAT and now we will".

Top Bottom