• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus Keeps Hitting Tiny YouTube Channels With Copyright Strikes, Then Reversing Them

Last week, a confused and upset Kotaku reader named Craig, who runs the YouTube account Stoneious, asked for help figuring this out. He’d uploaded several Let’s Play videos for Persona 4: Dancing All Night, when the first one was suddenly tagged with a copyright strike from an account called “atlustube.”

As it turns out, atlustube is the official Japanese YouTube channel for Atlus, a company based in Tokyo.

“I do know that the video that got hit with a strike had well over 100 views,” he told me, “which is a lot for me. Maybe that ‘popularity’ was my own undoing.”

Stoneious had a whopping nine subscribers when this happened.

Like other Persona fans, RJC was psyched to share his playthrough of Persona 4: Dancing All Night with the world, so he started uploading videos to YouTube. While at a friend’s house, Atlus decided to target him with a series of copyright strikes that went beyond a 15-minute upload limit: his channel was now dead.

Here’s a small taste of what CJC found in his inbox:
1491427035797444645.png

Then, a weird thing happened. RJC’s fans told him to contact Atlus, see if they might help out. A few days later, his YouTube account came back from the dead.

“If anyone is concerned about the content they upload to their channel, I’d recommend they get in touch with atluspr@atlus.com beforehand,” said Atlus USA spokesperson John Hardin when asked about the copyright strikes.

Article

Persona 5 is coming up, and its weird to see the difference of attitude of ATLUS and their US counterpart.

FluxWaveZ

A few things:

1. This has been happening for a long while. People who were closely following Atlus media can attest to this, and it's why we have videos like this out there.
  2. This has been happening not just to smaller YouTube channels, but any. Around E3, Polygon were issued copyright strike by atlustube for a Persona 4: Dancing All Night video they uploaded, showing off the game's main menu and its opening. It got reversed soon after, though. Possibly by Atlus USA.
  3. They are more lenient for certain videos more than they are for others. When it comes to Persona 5, they will obliterate anything within minutes to hours of it being uploaded. For Shin Megami Tensei IV Final, they have let things pretty much pass without interfering.

atomsk

Party Pooper
It's a double whammy, Atlus game + music game.

I stay away from covering either, YouTube robots ain't fucking around

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
A few things:

1. This has been happening for a long while. People who were closely following Atlus media can attest to this, and it's why we have videos like this out there.
  2. This has been happening not just to smaller YouTube channels, but any. Around E3, Polygon were issued copyright strike by atlustube for a Persona 4: Dancing All Night video they uploaded, showing off the game's main menu and its opening. It got reversed soon after, though. Possibly by Atlus USA.
  3. They are more lenient for certain videos more than they are for others. When it comes to Persona 5, they will obliterate anything within minutes to hours of it being uploaded. For Shin Megami Tensei IV Final, they have let things pretty much pass without interfering.

These are good to know. FWIW, please feel free to contact me as this stuff unfolds. I try to pay attention to as much as I can, but my bandwidth is that of a single person!

autoduelist

almost certainly just automated systems that identify 'copyrighted' material. once you contact them they look into it by hand and undo ones that they're okay with.

Another Let's player I follow had the exact same thing happen to him over his play through of DAN...and used the exact same solution to get his channel back. So yeah, it works.
Weirdly enough he has an entire play through of P4 up and some P5 Trailer analysis vids...So I'm not sure what the criteria even is for this.

Stuart444

I don't defend Atlus much (considering I'm EU and all >.>) but at least here they reverse the decision/look at their e-mails.

My first YT died a while ago due to Blazblue story uploads and I could never get into contact with anyone/get it reverse. (10+ videos down in one, 3 strikes, insta-death)

So yeah, while I dislike them taking the videos down at all, at least Atlus are willing to reverse their decision if you contact them. So good on them for that I guess?

Johneawesome (think that's the channel) talked about it. Atlustube is the Japanese arm of Atlus. He had an agreement with Atlus USA to post P4DAN videos and then found himself hit with the same take down notices. After taking to Atlus USA things were sorted out. In that case it was the Japanese arm not talking to the US arm which I'm guessing is the case in general:

Atlus JPN is going crazy with take down notices and Atlus USA is cleaning up the mess.

Top Bottom