• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Atomic Bomb-Like' Tornado Damage in Oklahoma

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Except people don't want to live underground. And considering that in that area of the country, at certain times of the year, you can dig down with a shovel for an hour or two and hit water, making those homes waterproof would be expensive.

Its a good thing tornadoes this huge dont form down in Louisiana. We would be fuuuuuucked.
Lots of small ones form though. This area gets a bunch. but they are usually really weak. not even EF1.

totowhoa

Banned
Man this was crazy today. I was at work when it happened, which was luckily about ten miles northwest. We basically stopped work for two-and-a-half hours. I finally left at 4:45, and the traffic. I go to the theater that was shown on the first page in one of the videos regularly, used to work at one of the wal-marts years ago that got hammered, but luckily don't know anybody affected by this. What was usually a 30 minute drive home took 3.5 hours. It was chaotic. I easily saw 50+ emergency vehicles (I saw crazy emergency vehicles that I hadn't ever seen before in my life -- some crazy sheriff RV among other things). Saw a fair bit of damage, but nothing insane like in the imagery since so many roads and a couple of highways were blocked off. I work near downtown Oklahoma City and live in Norman. Moore lies right between the two.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
This is hard when all you have is flat land as far as the eye can see in most cases in the Midwest.
Also hard when you quickly hit bedrock.

5iBX8uz.jpg

jchap

Remember living in through Joplin. Never again will I live in tornado alley. Feels like living under an artillery barrage, death is coming by random chance.

Even in the heart of Tornado alley your chance of dying is extremely remote. Last year 68 people died from Tornadoes. 28 died from lightning.

Flo_Evans

That is literally the only thing I've said in any tornado related topic ever lol, and a reaction to people suggesting that there is no point in building brick houses.

How about you stop asserting your authority here fella.

What people have been trying to explain to you is that they DO build houses out of brick, and they get destroyed. It's very rude and condescending to suggest everyone in the Midwest are morons and if only these stupid yokels would use brick instead of toothpicks they would be fine.

Zucchi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTpceWd8UE4&feature=youtu.be
Video of tornado from amateur perspective. At least skip to the end where they show the path of destruction. The pictures here don't do it justice.

Jesus fucking christ this video is terrifying.. holy shit at the debris and the size of the tornado. I would be shitting my pants from that view. Worse is you can imagine all of those poor people's lives ending in those moments. :( :( Ugh so sad.

I'm on it. Think I saw more than a couple 300 pounders last time I was at Walmart.

Sorry to hear things aren't great with the recovery. If it'll cheer you up I'd be happy to engage in another bitter TTU-OSU flame war in CFB-GAF.

Off-season, bro. If you're a Red Raider, that means hanging out at the races with GSP, while you hide your beer for photos:
https://twitter.com/TTUKingsbury/status/335583615939387393/photo/1

...and getting photobombed by Bobby Flay:
https://twitter.com/MikeMMcBride/status/335539426132365312/photo/1

Seriously though, I'm fine. It's just not easy, even now. Thanks for your concern. You're one of the good ones.

Davidion

Jesus fucking christ this video is terrifying.. holy shit at the debris and the size of the tornado. I would be shitting my pants from that view. Worse is you can imagine all of those poor people's lives ending in those moments. :( :( Ugh so sad.

Holy crap...

At this point all I can do is send my best wishes and wait for the donation drives to start getting set up. This is insane.

psykomyko

Went through a tornado in Missouri in 03. The tornado started right near us, but luckily we were in a valley and lots of small hills, so it didn't really get going. Had minor damage to our house (windows busted etc) But once it got on flat ground little ways past my house, it destroyed our town near us. Thankfully, no deaths.

Really scary stuff. Thoughts and prayers with OK and everyone dealing with loss :(

That is literally the only thing I've said in any tornado related topic ever lol, and a reaction to people suggesting that there is no point in building brick houses.

How about you stop asserting your authority here fella.

Why don't you read the thread? Particularly the parts where we posted that most of these homes were built with brick walls, and maybe read this post I made and watch the included video which shows scientific experiments done in a university lab...fella:

Pristine_Condition said:
Here are some 200mph/300kph bike flybys. Seriously fast. Imagine metal or debris hitting a house...

http://vimeo.com/53551115

You don't have to imagine it.

The University I attended (Texas Tech) is has a program recognized worldwide for studying how building materials fail under wind and wind-carried debris stresses. They have a lab with a few giant air canons designed to propel 2x4's and other simulated debris at tornado and hurricane speeds. Their big indoor machine can simulate debris flying at 250 mph, but they usually dial it down to more "survivable" speeds.

To give you an idea of what it looks like when a wall stud traveling at tornado speeds (in this video the laboratory's air cannon was dialed in to propel the simulated debris at speeds between 88 and 200 MPH) looks like hitting a wall, here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pot7UI5SLb8

As you can see, at higher speeds, the debris (even though it's only wood) will go right through stone, brick, and masonry. Please also note, this only shows the effect of propelled debris impact. There's no way to simulate the sheering force of a huge wall of wind like in a tornado.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Fuck this is crazy. I went tornado chasing a few years ago when I was in America. Got a little closer to a tornado than I ever planned.

I can't imagine what this would have been like.

AniHawk

fucking terrifying. i researched tornadoes a lot as a kid. found them fascinating. i would piss my pants if i ever saw one in person, let alone something as fatal as an f5.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Went through a tornado in Missouri in 03. The tornado started right near us, but luckily we were in a valley and lots of small hills, so it didn't really get going. Had minor damage to our house (windows busted etc) But once it got on flat ground little ways past my house, it destroyed our town near us. Thankfully, no deaths.

Really scary stuff. Thoughts and prayers with OK and everyone dealing with loss :(

By any chance are you talking about Pierce City, MO? I was a senior in high school in Monett, which is about 5 miles away. I ended up missing a week of school because the tornado knocked out the power substation outside of town. I was over at a friend's house at the time to watch a movie and I remember when the power turned off we went outside to play basketball or something, since we had no idea about the tornado. The sirens went off for a bit, but the sky was clear where we were at.

vilmer_

Oh my god... Can someone point me to somewhere I can donate? I'm in Canada and I'm not sure where or who I can send donations to. Those poor people :(

LordCanti

Hearing about the school that got leveled... Imagine being at work and hearing that your house has probably been leveled along with your child's school.

Oh my god... Can someone point me to somewhere I can donate? I'm in Canada and I'm not sure where or who I can send donations to. Those poor people :(

I'd suggest The Red Cross. They're always right there in the middle of things when disasters happen.

KingGondo

Banned
my god, all those children :(

glad you're ok gondo
Thanks Heat-Bro.

Off-season, bro. If you're a Red Raider, that means hanging out at the races with GSP, while you hide your beer for photos:
https://twitter.com/TTUKingsbury/status/335583615939387393/photo/1

...and getting photobombed by Bobby Flay:
https://twitter.com/MikeMMcBride/status/335539426132365312/photo/1

Seriously though, I'm fine. It's just not easy, even now. Thanks for your concern. You're one of the good ones.
KK is so metro for a major conference coach. Hope he does well but I think it'll take a couple years like it did with Gundy.

Between Kliff, Gundy and Briles, skinny coaches gonna take over the league.

Smokey

I've seen an F5 tornado in person. Probably the most terrifying thing you will ever see in your life as a human being. I nearly fainted when I saw one.

an F5 tornado

tornado2.JPG

wat

wow

this is sad. i grew up in the midwest until i was 10-11. tornadoes are fucking terrifying. rip to those in OK :(

Kickz

Yikes seems like every youtube video with footage has somekinda religious debate going on in the comments section.. Typically one comment saying"thoughts and prayers" and another "fuck your useless prayer".

psykomyko

By any chance are you talking about Pierce City, MO? I was a senior in high school in Monett, which is about 5 miles away. I ended up missing a week of school because the tornado knocked out the power substation outside of town. I was over at a friend's house at the time to watch a movie and I remember when the power turned off we went outside to play basketball or something, since we had no idea about the tornado. The sirens went off for a bit, but the sky was clear where we were at.

It was Stockton, MO. Tiny town, maybe about 3500 people.

LordCanti

Yikes seems like every youtube video with footage has somekinda religious debate going on in the comments section.. Typically one comment saying"thoughts and prayers" and another "fuck your useless prayer".

I've got youtube comments permanently disabled via a chrome plugin. Mostly to avoid spoilers when watching trailers or whatever, but also to avoid youtube people.

They need to start building their homes underground out there.

They can't, the bedrock is right below the soil. Excavating it would make the houses cost way more than most people could afford.

Spoke too soon about being lucky tonight. Severe thunderstorm with 60mph winds and ping pong sized hail headed our way in a few mins. When will this shit end????!?!?!?

This is on my twitter feed, imagine they will distribute clothing and the like:

@ouequipment: Please send donations to:
OU equipment room
180 W Brooks
Norman OK 73019

We will distribute to those in need

Thanks #PrayersForOK

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Spoke too soon about being lucky tonight. Severe thunderstorm with 60mph winds and ping pong sized hail headed our way in a few mins. When will this shit end????!?!?!?

It's getting insane again where I am, battening down the hatches in case things come out of nowhere (and they do)

LordCanti

Omfg. Never fails.

My worst fear has always been that a Tornado would hit while I was mid shit or shower, but I've never even considered being caught in my "She Wants the D" shirt. I guess this is what people mean when they say that they wouldn't be caught dead in whatever; I wouldn't want to be caught dead in that shirt.

I don't have a "She Wants the D" shirt, but now I want one. Not to wear; Just to have.

I didn't see these posted

1369081349933.gif

It was an actual fucking cyclone right at the beginning. Like a hurricane.

72WidQS.gif

MijmINQ.gif

a00QECP.gif

The purple spots in the cell? Tornado debris. Not rain, not hail, but tornado debris.

Fucking weather. Not to diminish what happened but I find this shit fascinating as hell.

It's it's any consideration at all, not only will this tornado help further research into the behavior of tornadoes, but advance the warning system as well. The Tornado warning (actually a Tornado Emergency, which is far worse) for the area at 2:40 pm CDT. The tornado touched down at 2:56 pm CDT.

Seeing reports of light tornado debris falling in the Tulsa metro area again this evening, likely from the Moore area.

https://twitter.com/NWStulsa/status/336620658261901312

Note: The strongest and most powerful tornado in recorded history was in May of 1999...

In Moore Oklahoma.

14 years later...

6eG1E0N.jpg

Green line is May of 1999. Light green/red line is the one from May 20th 2013

cajunator

Banned
I didn't see these posted

1369081349933.gif

It was an actual fucking cyclone right at the beginning. Like a hurricane.

72WidQS.gif

MijmINQ.gif

a00QECP.gif

The purple spots in the cell? Tornado debris. Not rain, not hail, but tornado debris.

Fucking weather. Not to diminish what happened but I find this shit fascinating as hell.

It's it's any consideration at all, not only will this tornado help further research into the behavior of tornadoes, but advance the warning system as well. The Tornado warning (actually a Tornado Emergency, which is far worse) for the area at 2:40 pm CDT. The tornado touched down at 2:56 pm CDT.

https://twitter.com/NWStulsa/status/336620658261901312

Note: The strongest and most powerful tornado in recorded history was in May of 1999...

In Moore Oklahoma.

14 years later...

6eG1E0N.jpg

Green line is May of 1999. Light green/red line is the one from May 20th 2013

Ive seen radar hook echo gifs before, but I have NEVER seen one with rotation this pronounced. Unfuckingbelievable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom