• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan |OT| - Like a Braus

Cultural Leet

Neo Member
As someone who came in after watching the anime, the game also skips over a lot of Eren screaming like a bitch. And I'm okay with this lol.

I'm past 8 hours in and I've beaten attack mode to the point where you have to do the survey/subquest grind. I think this is one of my favorite games this year. If they gave me a mission where I just had to mindlessly swing around for an hour and kill nothing, I would do it happily. It just feels that good.

Also, contrary to most Omega Force games they give you way too much access to Levi. He outclasses everyone else by so much it's not even funny. It's like unlocking Lu Bu from the start.

I think Erwin is overpowered. It gets to the point where all you do is lock on a titan and have your team kill it without even getting off your horse. Armin has the same ability but he's weak; Erwin can at least get physical when he needs to.

Erwin has the second lowest dexterity and his concentration is also lower than armin, which means he'll run out of gas/blades faster than armin.
Also armin and hange drastically increase the rate at which team mates can attack.
Erwin is more a jack of all trades, but he doesn't do anything better than anyone else.

Sapientas

30 to 50 hour grindy? Or more like 100+ hours grindy? :)
I have seen you need to S rank every story mission. That does not seem too hard. What is the most grindy part about it? Some Weapon / Gear and material related stuff? Or doing all the other, non story missions?

I'm guessing 40 to 50 hours grindy, so low end musou platinum actually. Problem is how boring and annoying it gets later on. The grindy trophy is the 100% Gallery one, since it requires you to craft and upgrade all the weapons and gear available. You'll complete Attack mode twice (Attack+True) and Survey mode twice too, while doing all the requests (probably twice too) for funds. After that you'll need to grind high end levels for S ranks and Dire Subjugations for the combat exclusive materials.
You never really get much stronger than the later levels Titans though, even with the best (expensive as fuck) gear, so it gets annoying to strike 10 times or so to cut off a limb from bosses. Plus you're forced to use Levi or Eren too, since the rest would just run out of gas or something.

Sapientas

Eren has the lowest dexterity, he runs out of gas faster than anyone else.

Titan Form is incredibly strong though and you can quickly clean entire maps with it, especially crowded, small ones. Plus, with all his Skills he will stay a long time transformed and actually get stronger with each transformation.

Edit:
How far past the anime does it go? I already know about the origin's of the colossal and armored titan's.

I haven't read the manga, but it seems like it's mostly filler that's pretty harmless. It shows a new special Titan that didn't appear at the anime, and a few small optional conversations.

How far past the anime does it go? I already know about the origin's of the colossal and armored titan's.

There's bits in there from ch35-40, if you've read the manga you'll know what bits.

Titan Form is incredibly strong though and you can quickly clean entire maps with it, especially crowded, small ones. Plus, with all his Skills he will stay a long time transformed and actually get stronger with each transformation.

You still need to kill things to get the special bar and his dexterity is awful, his strength isn't much better either. Mikasa has the same longer special skill so she's just a better option overall; even christa performs better, though she needs to be at least lvl6.

Sapientas

You still need to kill things to get the special bar and his dexterity is awful, his strength isn't much better either. Mikasa has the same longer special skill so she's just a better option overall; even christa performs better, though she needs to be at least lvl6.

Completing side-missions for quick gauge is enough for Eren, not so much for the other characters in True Attack. Mikasa is a good enough option too I guess, though her level 7 skill is disappointing.

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
So far loving almost everything about the game. KT nailed the movement.

My only criticism is the difficulty. I've been playing on hard from the start and it's just far too easy. Granted, I'm only a couple of hours in so maybe difficulty ramps up?

Cultural Leet

Neo Member

My only criticism is the difficulty. I've been playing on hard from the start and it's just far too easy. Granted, I'm only a couple of hours in so maybe difficulty ramps up?

With the exception of a female titan fight or two, I'd say it gets easier.

Sapientas

There is a big curve in difficulty once you reach the True Attack mode. Titans get quicker, so they can actually catch you, and get a big health boost. Plus I feel like the special gauge is filled way slower and ends way faster.

nynt9

My XB1 controller is acting wonky with this game. Can't use right stick at all, A/X are switched and so are B/Y. It's almost unplayable for me right now.

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
With the exception of a female titan fight or two, I'd say it gets easier.

There is a big curve in difficulty once you reach the True Attack mode. Titans get quicker, so they can actually catch you, and get a big health boost. Plus I feel like the special gauge is filled way slower and ends way faster.

Is True Attack Mode basically New Game+ ? Titan speed and aggressiveness really needs dialing up. I don't think I've ever been touched by one and I kind of want a one-hit death type of scenario. Maybe someone will mod the PC version.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
... what a bizarre solution to an issue that shouldn't exist. Thanks Microsoft.

Also real thanks to you for pointing me towards a solution!

Was just lucky that I had seen that by chance lol. Hopefully that it solves your issue, since it sounds like what other folks were having.

I normally despise season passes and dlc but for once I want some more content and it doesn't look like this game will get any.. =\

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I normally despise season passes and dlc but for once I want some more content and it doesn't look like this game will get any.. =\

Seeing how busy Omega Force is, kinda understand why the poor bastards dont seem to have much time to do stuff like that.

Is True Attack Mode basically New Game+ ? Titan speed and aggressiveness really needs dialing up. I don't think I've ever been touched by one and I kind of want a one-hit death type of scenario. Maybe someone will mod the PC version.

survey missions get hard enough later, if you're only a few hours in you're still doing 1-4 star missions, which are easy.

Was having some trouble with the last survey missions while playing as Mikasa and Eren..then I remembered how OP Levi is in the anime so I figured I'd give him a try even though I don't really like the character...Suddenly it feels like I changed the difficulty to very easy mode. o.o

Sapientas

I am max level with him and love his titan form. Sometimes you can clear 3 or more side missions, without losing the transformation.
It's a good idea to cancel his transformation (with R2 on PS4) just before you clear a side mission. That way you get a full gauge again and a progression mark or whatever that increases your damage and time transformed. That applies to all characters, but Eren specially.

I am max level with him and love his titan form. Sometimes you can clear 3 or more side missions, without losing the transformation.

That's not good, a side mission gives a free refresh and thus level up on your signal.
Every time you use the signal it becomes stronger/lasts longer, it's better to cancel right before you finish a side mission.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Is there a spike where you're expected to grind for new gear? I was happily making my way through the campaign where all of a sudden some of the titans became very time consuming to successfully subjugate them. Like with Levi, I had to suddenly target and attack the nape multiple times despite his ability to chain.

Previously, if I got a good wind up for the attack it usually was one, or in some cases I had to use the chain ability to finish the job.

I'm not upset at this new development btw, just trying to figure out if I'm under geared or if this bump is how I have to deal with Titans going forward.

For reference, the mission I'm talking about is:
I think it's the "Lieutenant Levi" mission if you're looking for a name. Our troops are at the center in the square we have to protect, and there's a group of large titans at the bottom left of the map at the start.

Basically, I got an S rank in everything except for the time portion which I got a 'B' for.

No spike really, the game just expects you to slowly upgrade as you go, I can recommend upgrading the training equipment, since it cheaply/easily turns into instructor's equipment which is pretty much good for even 9 star missions on normal.

Also sometimes it's better not to chain with levi/mikasa, instead just hook again, since the chain does much less damage than his rotating swoop, but it still drains his blade gauge with each hit.
For reference, his rotating swoop does like 10k damage with instructor's gear, whereas every chain hit does like ~1.7k

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
No spike really, the game just expects you to slowly upgrade as you go, I can recommend upgrading the training equipment, since it cheaply/easily turns into instructor's equipment which is pretty much good for even 10 star missions on normal.

Also sometimes it's better not to chain with levi/mikasa, instead just hook again, since the chain does much less damage than his rotating swoop, but it still drains his blade gauge with each hit.
For reference, his rotating swoop does like 10k damage with instructor's gear, whereas every chain hit does like ~1.7k

Haha! I just figured the Training gear turned into Gen 1 like Gen 1 turned into Gen 2 after upgrades!

I was sitting at Gen 2 and in order to upgrade it, there's some components I haven't seen on the battlefield yet! I was starting to make my way through the survey missions thinking that they would become available that way.

I was thinking the flow was like: campaign -> campaign -> campaign (etc), Ok, stop. Go do some survey missions for a bit until you're geared for this next campaign mission.

It's a good idea to cancel his transformation (with R2 on PS4) just before you clear a side mission. That way you get a full gauge again and a progression mark or whatever that increases your damage and time transformed. That applies to all characters, but Eren specially.

Ah thanks. I somehow missed the fact, that it will get stronger, each time you transform.

Haha! I just figured the Training gear turned into Gen 1 like Gen 1 turned into Gen 2 after upgrades!

I was sitting at Gen 2 and in order to upgrade it, there's some components I haven't seen on the battlefield yet! I was starting to make my way through the survey missions thinking that they would become available that way.

I was thinking the flow was like: campaign -> campaign -> campaign (etc), Ok, stop. Go do some survey missions for a bit until you're geared for this next campaign mission.

Some gear can turn into something else, like the tiger zero can turn into the king tiger zero or the cloud zero, reinforced gear mk6 can turn into mk7 or daybreak.
Training gear turns into instructor's gear; instructor's gear mk3 is pretty much on par with anti-hardening gear mk2, which you won't get until far into the epilogue.

And yes you can go and do survey missions, but it's not required, I remember doing that levi mission you mentioned and afterwards I did a bunch of survey missions, but it didn't really change what I could upgrade because you won't get certain drops until later in the game anyway.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Some gear can turn into something else, like the tiger zero can turn into the king tiger zero or the cloud zero, reinforced gear mk6 can turn into mk7 or daybreak.
Training gear turns into instructor's gear; instructor's gear mk3 is pretty much on par with anti-hardening gear mk2, which you won't get until far into the epilogue.

And yes you can go and do survey missions, but it's not required, I remember doing that levi mission you mentioned and afterwards I did a bunch of survey missions, but it didn't really change what I could upgrade because you won't get certain drops until later in the game anyway.

Oh wow. It's my own fault, but I thought I understood how the gear worked. I thought it was a 3 tier system:
*Standard Gear (balance with everything)
*Field Gear (higher durability/negative on everything else)
*Close Combat Gear (higher attack/negative on everything else)

I thought you could just buy the lower level, and then eventually level it up into the next tier. But also, as you progressed they would open up the next tier for you to outright buy if you were so inclined.

I've been doing this all wrong! So wrong!

Eren is a scrub, his titan form is good but only from level 5 and up.

I mostly been playing as him because I love his titan form and Mikasa cause she is waifu but I must say... end game Levi is still better. Eren is just too weak outside of Titan form which I have trouble getting up after I'm out of side quests.. I might be doing something wrong but I like to fully kill 100% of the titans before finishing a map. Levi just slaughters everyone while Eren seems to take 5x more attacks to destroy a limb on titans. I just wish Mikasa had a titan form than I'd just say fuck it and go her forever.

oh and I must say late game the mission "soldiers dance" pisses me off every single time I replay it. It feels like the hardest mission in the game by far even fully leveled and geared and on normal wtf.

I think Erwin is overpowered. It gets to the point where all you do is lock on a titan and have your team kill it without even getting off your horse. Armin has the same ability but he's weak; Erwin can at least get physical when he needs to.

Agreed, Erwin is pretty damn good. I only first selected him after my post and he pretty much makes Armin redundant. In fact, it's his complete lack of stats that makes his expert begging skill a necessity lol.

I gotta get stuff to upgrade my weapons now. I'm pretty much running Tiger Zero/Third Gen Scabbard/Second Gen Gear Mk.III. Looking at some of the posts here I might have been better off upgrading the training stuff maybe.

oh and I must say late game the mission "soldiers dance" pisses me off every single time I replay it. It feels like the hardest mission in the game by far even fully leveled and geared and on normal wtf.

What do you find so hard about it? Female titan gets wrecked by sound grenades/firebombs

Agreed, Erwin is pretty damn good. I only first selected him after my post and he pretty much makes Armin redundant. In fact, it's his complete lack of stats that makes his expert begging skill a necessity lol.

Actually, playing Erwin with the command skill is pretty weird, he's much better if you play him as Christa, he has too many offensive skills to just sit back and use the command skill, heck 2 of his skills revolve around getting signal bar, which you don't get if you have team mates do the work.

Armin and Henge are much better than erwin at just sitting back and letting team mates handle it, since armin's 7th skill powers up teammates and hange's powers up grenades.

hampig

Played a few service and expidition missions with a friend last night but only have one of each. Do you have to play through single player to get more missions for co-op?

Is there any trick to making Christa good, or is she just a character who grinds materials and money better at the cost of playing a bad character in the actual mission?

I really wanted to like her but her low attack damage seems to get in the way too much. As far as I can tell she has 2 major strengths. 1) Her teammates can attack more often, which is nice but there are stronger characters who also get that ability. 2) In theory she builds DBS meter faster, but she hits so lightly that more often then not the teammates get the kill or dismember, and the amount she generates on a hit is not nearly as much as an even slightly stronger character would get getting the kill/dismember themselves.

Here's me S ranking + dire subjugating a 8 star mission with Christa and mid range gear.

Top Bottom