• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan Season 2 |OT| NO MANGA TALK

Status
Not open for further replies.

BumRush

I've never understood the yelling comment with AoT. Is it a dub thing?

This is the first anime I've watched (excluding Ghibli films), so maybe it's much more pronounced elsewhere. But, it is super jarring at times in AoT (mainly Eren, Armin and Hange). I think the thing that makes it bad (for me) is that it's usually mid-point that they start yelling. Like Hange will be happy and talking like a normal human being and then go berserk and start yelling and drooling and the screen will flash rapidly and I just don't get why...

It`s an anime thing, you`ll get used to it once you become a reg anime watcher. AoT is probably the best gateway for people who never watch anime to get them into the genre though.

I am going to give One Punch Man a chance when I'm done with AoT since it's on Netflix and people generally praise it. Good idea or is there something else I should try?

This is the first anime I've watched (excluding Ghibli films), so maybe it's much more pronounced elsewhere. But, it is super jarring at times in AoT (mainly Eren, Armin and Hange). I think the thing that makes it bad (for me) is that it's usually mid-point that they start yelling. Like Hange will be happy and talking like a normal human being and then go berserk and start yelling and drooling and the screen will flash rapidly and I just don't get why...

You're right, actually, there is a certain over-the-topness to this show with stuff like Sasha going nuts for food, Hange going nuts for titan-stuff and Levi going nuts when he stomps Eren in court. While most of the screaming during battle etc. is well justified, it's these moments that make an otherwise fairly anime trope free show still feel a bit 'off'.

While AoT is among my favorite series I really could do with more restraint in those moments, but I can't have everything and at least it's great even with that baggage.

---

As for One Punch Man, while I can see 'anime-newbies' enjoy it, it does parody a lot of anime tropes...and actually uses those very tropes it makes fun of when there's downtime from the usual "one punch" punchline.

I'd probably rather suggest Mob Psycho 100 which has good storytelling and boasts even stronger visuals.

BumRush

You're right, actually, there is a certain over-the-topness to this show with stuff like Sasha going nuts for food, Hange going nuts for titan-stuff and Levi going nuts when he stomps Eren in court. While most of the screaming during battle etc. is well justified, it's these moments that make an otherwise fairly anime trope free show still feel a bit 'off'.

While AoT is among my favorite series I really could do with more restraint in those moments, but I can't have everything and at least it's great even with that baggage.

---

As for One Punch Man, while I can see 'anime-newbies' enjoy it, it does parody a lot of anime tropes...and actually uses those very tropes it makes fun of when there's downtime from the usual "one punch" punchline.

I'd probably rather suggest Mob Psycho 100 which has good storytelling and boasts even stronger visuals.

Thanks for the response, I'll take a look at MP100!

I am going to give One Punch Man a chance when I'm done with AoT since it's on Netflix and people generally praise it. Good idea or is there something else I should try?
Depends what you`re looking for.

OP is only one season and like 12 episodes I think. It`s not really a character driven story, which is what most anime are. There isn`t a huge emphasis on plot. It's basically as stated making fun of other shonen, hilarious with good music and amazing animaiton for action sequences. So that depends.

I'd recommend Cowboy Bebop as a series. 25 episodes in total. Lot of those episodes aren't related to the main story, but great standalones. If that won't bother you when the story hits, you will love it. Amazing characters and one of the best endings ever.

Thanks for the response, I'll take a look at MP100!

I should mention that I'd recommend Mob Psycho 100 over One Punch Man but it's still probably not a particularly well-suited recommendation for beginners.

If that doesn't tickle your fancy then maybe something with excellent writing and more grounded characters and combat is Seirei no Moribito or Guardian of the Spirit in English.

Or if the world building and mystery aspect of AoT is particularly enjoyable to you, Shinsekai Yori (From the new World) is a completed, 25 episode series that delivers in that regard from beginning to end.

I dunno about availability on English Netflix and so on, you'll have to check that for yourself.

BumRush

Depends what you`re looking for.

OP is only one season and like 12 episodes I think. It`s not really a character driven story, which is what most anime are. There isn`t a huge emphasis on plot. It's basically as stated making fun of other shonen, hilarious with good music and amazing animaiton for action sequences. So that depends.

I'd recommend Cowboy Bebop as a series. 25 episodes in total. Lot of those episodes aren't related to the main story, but great standalones. If that won't bother you when the story hits, you will love it. Amazing characters and one of the best endings ever.

I should mention that I'd recommend Mob Psycho 100 over One Punch Man but it's still probably not a particularly well-suited recommendation for beginners.

If that doesn't tickle your fancy then maybe something with excellent writing and more grounded characters and combat is Seirei no Moribito or Guardian of the Spirit in English.

Or if the world building and mystery aspect of AoT is particularly enjoyable to you, Shinsekai Yori (From the new World) is a completed, 25 episode series that delivers in that regard from beginning to end.

I dunno about availability on English Netflix and so on, you'll have to check that for yourself.

Thanks guys! I wouldn't mind getting a Blu Ray or grabbing a couple of months of Crunchyroll if it's something I enjoy. Netflix availability is only a preference, not a non-starter

I would say that I'm still not sure if I'm sold on anime as a lot of things about AoT do bother me. Definitely willing to give more of it a try but BY FAR my favorite thing about AoT is the world building (I.e. the Titans and what they are).

Eusis

Watching this after being spoiled on post-season 1 twists (and reading newer manga chapters but that's not relevant here) but not knowing the actual execution is kind of funny, going into Episode 31 I thought the big reveals were going to be more immediately dramatic, but instead it's them non chalantly stating what I had known about.

compo

Banned
Watching this after being spoiled on post-season 1 twists (and reading newer manga chapters but that's not relevant here) but not knowing the actual execution is kind of funny, going into Episode 31 I thought the big reveals were going to be more immediately dramatic, but instead it's them non chalantly stating what I had known about.

I almost missed the big reveal because of how nonchalant it was. I was eating food or something, and was only half paying attention because everyone on screen was just having a normal conversation, but then I was like "wait, what did I just hear?"

Thanks guys! I wouldn't mind getting a Blu Ray or grabbing a couple of months of Crunchyroll if it's something I enjoy. Netflix availability is only a preference, not a non-starter

I would say that I'm still not sure if I'm sold on anime as a lot of things about AoT do bother me. Definitely willing to give more of it a try but BY FAR my favorite thing about AoT is the world building (I.e. the Titans and what they are).
If you tell me what you like/dislike about AoT, and are looking for in anime and what you don't want to see, it will be easier for me to recommend you something that will fit what you're looking.

AoT for me is a masterpiece though. I was convinced once I finished season 2 and caught up to the manga. Really impressed what Isayama has done, can't say or imply anything writing wise.

BumRush

If you tell me what you like/dislike about AoT, and are looking for in anime and what you don't want to see, it will be easier for me to recommend you something that will fit what you're looking.

AoT for me is a masterpiece though. I was convinced once I finished season 2 and caught up to the manga. Really impressed what Isayama has done, can't say or imply anything writing wise.

Thanks! I'll finish AoT first and then probably give One Punch's 12 episodes a chance. After that, I'll probably ask for more recommendations as I'll be more comfortable with what I actually enjoy it don't.

This is going to sound weird but with AoT, I don't really love that much besides the story (and the music is awesome at times) but because the story is so engrossing I can't put it down. For me, the characters, action, etc are all okay / good and the dialog (translation?) is at times terrible, but again, I'm into it because I love the world.

ShadyK54

Was just reading IGN's review of the episode & the reviewer felt the reveal being so blunt "hampered the impact," while I feel the exact opposite: it being so nonchalant is the reason I love this particular moment. I think how out of nowhere it was really amped up the tension. That, and realizing along with Bertolt that "oh shit, this is actually happening!?" really drove it home for me.

And that ending, whew.

Finished the second season

I remember thinking the 1st season was solid but was soured on how obnoxious I found Eren (and Misaka to a lesser extent because of her devotion to the guy); my feelings haven't changed. I can't stand his edgy little rants lol. And oh noooooo he got another super special power, KILL ME

Thankfully, literally every other character is more entertaining to watch. I especially love the enemy titan crew. I was happy that Ymir decided to stay in their little f'd up misfit gang; hopefully they break out Annie soon? I'd much prefer those 4 as the leads tbh

Seeing how super intense and exciting this thing is, and how much focus all of the side characters are getting, I'll definitely watch out for Season 3

Mediking

My actual favorite characters are Eren and Bertholdt and maybe even Reiner.

I kinda got spoiled on what happened to Bertholdt but it's really hard to believe so I'm hoping its fake.

I finished the season.

It was good. Though not much happened. It's weird. It's been four years since the first season, the manga supposedly progressed a lot (don't know; haven't read it), and barely anything happened in this season. There's even one episode where fuckall happened (when Eren, Ymir and the two guys are talking in the trees).

Anyways. How long are we supposed to wait for the next season now?

TarNaru33

Banned
I finished the season.

It was good. Though not much happened. It's weird. It's been four years since the first season, the manga supposedly progressed a lot (don't know; haven't read it), and barely anything happened in this season. There's even one episode where fuckall happened (when Eren, Ymir and the two guys are talking in the trees).

Anyways. How long are we supposed to wait for the next season now?

You are comparing a season of 12 episodes to one of 25 when talking about progress. The episode you are talking about had plenty in it for character development and a cool down which some audiences need to take all the information in. It was to show a little bit of how Reiner and the other guy felt about their predicament and hints on their objective.

Not to mention the show is following the manga very faithfully (only one part is out of place). I suspect the reasoning for this is because of the next arc is a little more complicated and slow maybe? You don't end your show on things like that lol.

To answer you question, we don't know how long for the next season. The issue is Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress is getting another season and we can assume season 3 of Attack on Titan won't start airing until that is done.

Off topic a bit, I really hope they understood what ruined Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress and not repeat it.

88random

Lol, "nothing happens in SnK" is it becoming a new meme? Plenty happened, some stuff is revealed and there are some new secrets. What did you expect to happen in 12 episodes?

Anyway, about the 3rd season, they said they are aiming for spring 2018.

TarNaru33

Banned
Lol, "nothing happens in SnK" is it becoming a new meme? Plenty happened, some stuff is revealed and there are some new secrets. What did you expect to happen in 12 episodes?

Really? That is super early... I need to check see when Kabaneri is suppose to air then, because I thought they would have to wait on that.

Mediking

Season 2 was amazing. I've watched various Season 2 scenes over and over.

Like that epic scene when that Ape Titan guy first appears in front of that blonde Miche dude?

I've seen that over a million times.

So hype.

BumRush

Finally finished season 2, which was great. Same things I loved from episode 1 I still loved by the end (and the same things I disliked remained as well). Looking forward to S3.

Unrelated, I gave episode 1 of One Punch Man a chance and didn't like it that much. Is the whole premise how bored and lonely he is?

Finally finished season 2, which was great. Same things I loved from episode 1 I still loved by the end (and the same things I disliked remained as well). Looking forward to S3.

Unrelated, I gave episode 1 of One Punch Man a chance and didn't like it that much. Is the whole premise how bored and lonely he is?

Stick with it, trust me. There are moments of genuine tension, the supporting cast is brilliant.

If anything, there's too much happening in a given time. The entire season 2 spanned one or two days after the assault on Stohess of season 1 right? Considering the first few episodes were happening concurrently with Eren & co fighting Annie in Stohess.

Also I won't forget how episodes 5 to 13 of season 1 literally take place during a few hours of the same day. From noon until night sets in we have (a) Colossal Titan attacking town (b) humanity dispatching forces to battle titans (c) almost complete civilian evacuation of the entire town (d) Eren being eaten by a titan and discovering his titan power a good while later (e) Eren and company getting accused by the military for treason and having themselves almost gunned down (f) the military deciding to have Eren help them as they prepare a plan to take back the town and (g) Eren successfully carrying out the plan with a minor hiccup and lots of human deaths.

Either the people in AoT are the most efficient people of all time or the writers have a questionable understanding of time or human efficacy.

derFeef

Sooo not sure if this is the right thread for this but here goes :)
I watched the entirety of season one in one day (was sick) and I really liked it besides some not so good episodes. Eeren transforming and fighting was one of my favourite things - but it was kinda frustrating the first few times since all you want is him winning but it never seems to work out. Which is the point of the show I guess...

Anyway, I only watched the first episode of season two so far but it felt really oof coming directly from 1. Like the people of the town talking about the "this is it" moment, as if it's the last great attack from the Titans while there "only" being a few of them? Not sure about that.
Curious what the Ape is all about, but I somehow can already imagine what is going to happen.

Erigu

I only watched the first episode of season two so far but it felt really oof coming directly from 1. Like the people of the town talking about the "this is it" moment, as if it's the last great attack from the Titans while there "only" being a few of them? Not sure about that.
Not entirely sure that's what you're referring to, but the idea in that episode is that if a second wall has fallen, they're pretty much screwed. The chaos would be much worse than five years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom