• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August 30th 2019 - The new Tool album

TTOOLL

I can't wrap my head at what Danny is doing in this album. I'm terrible with words so I can't really describe it clearly but it's so complex and powerful. It feels like the other guys are just following him throughout the songs.
The out of nowhere double kicks....my god
It's easily the best drum work I've ever listened to.

Last edited:

Ixion

I jammed this album in my car for the first time yesterday and damn it sounds gangster as fuck.

Some things I'm noticing...
  • This album definitely has a very epic ancient asian vibe to it, which goes great with the monolithic, dark, snake-like album cover
  • When listening to the album in full, it really does feel like a cleansing ritual that unfolds like a gradually increasing wave
  • Maynard's vocals make more sense when you put them in the above context:
    • In the first song he's loudly EXHALING and trying to rid the negative forces, and so his vocals are on the calmer, more meditative, side for the first half of the album
    • Pneuma sees the protagonist eyeing their ultimate goal of transcending beyond the weaknesses of the flesh
    • Invincible and Descending see the protagonist now dealing with and moving through their most immediate fears, the fear of themselves weakening and dying, and the fear of their world weakening and dying
    • This leads to the protagonist starting to feel suffocated with negative thoughts and begin to lose his cool a bit with "Culling Voices", and thus leading into...
    • "Fuck, here we go again!" with 7empest, which is the ultimate final test of negative forces to face. And so the first 12 of those 15 minutes are beastly and then the last few minutes sees things kind of calm down and groove out, which signals to me that the 7empest has calmed down and the protagonist has managed to get hit by the wave of fear without losing himself, thus becoming immune
  • On that note, I was driving along a harbor (on a sunny day) when 7empest was on in the car, and I noticed how 7empest has a very summery, aquatic vibe to it in a way (like Descending), especially that 4-minute solo in the middle. It almost feels like you're experiencing one final epic "wave". Also, notice that the album cover also looks like a wave.
TL;DR - This album feels like a monolithic, ancient, epic, cleansing wave ritual thing. And it's awesome. And it sounds even more awesome in a car with a subwoofer.

GenericUser

I jammed this album in my car for the first time yesterday and damn it sounds gangster as fuck.

Some things I'm noticing...
  • This album definitely has a very epic ancient asian vibe to it, which goes great with the monolithic, dark, snake-like album cover
  • When listening to the album in full, it really does feel like a cleansing ritual that unfolds like a gradually increasing wave
  • Maynard's vocals make more sense when you put them in the above context:
    • In the first song he's loudly EXHALING and trying to rid the negative forces, and so his vocals are on the calmer, more meditative, side for the first half of the album
    • Pneuma sees the protagonist eyeing their ultimate goal of transcending beyond the weaknesses of the flesh
    • Invincible and Descending see the protagonist now dealing with and moving through their most immediate fears, the fear of themselves weakening and dying, and the fear of their world weakening and dying
    • This leads to the protagonist starting to feel suffocated with negative thoughts and begin to lose his cool a bit with "Culling Voices", and thus leading into...
    • "Fuck, here we go again!" with 7empest, which is the ultimate final test of negative forces to face. And so the first 12 of those 15 minutes are beastly and then the last few minutes sees things kind of calm down and groove out, which signals to me that the 7empest has calmed down and the protagonist has managed to get hit by the wave of fear without losing himself, thus becoming immune
  • On that note, I was driving along a harbor (on a sunny day) when 7empest was on in the car, and I noticed how 7empest has a very summery, aquatic vibe to it in a way (like Descending), especially that 4-minute solo in the middle. It almost feels like you're experiencing one final epic "wave". Also, notice that the album cover also looks like a wave.
TL;DR - This album feels like a monolithic, ancient, epic, cleansing wave ritual thing. And it's awesome. And it sounds even more awesome in a car with a subwoofer.
Yeah, I live in a very small appartment and it sucks. Headphones don't do tool justice.

Album is absolutely great. I consume it like a wine or liquor, in small portions, but always tempted to empty the fulll bottle at once. A rock album for eternity.

Ixion

Officially the No. 1 album

qb4nas49xql31.jpg

Well GAF,

I'm about to dive into...

tool-fear-inoculum.jpg

...for the first time.

Lateralis
(intentionally misspelled, as I have the rare misprinted LP) was my favourite record of the early 2000s and the soundtrack to a good portion of my life. Praise be Lord Maynard and his fellow gods of music 🍺 .

And following our will and wind
We may just go where no one's been
We'll ride the spiral to the end
And may just go where no one's been

Fear Inoculum is a go...

Well GAF,

I'm about to dive into...

tool-fear-inoculum.jpg

...for the first time.

Lateralis
(intentionally misspelled, as I have the rare misprinted LP) was my favourite record of the early 2000s and the soundtrack to a good portion of my life. Praise be Lord Maynard and his fellow gods of music 🍺 .

And following our will and wind
We may just go where no one's been
We'll ride the spiral to the end
And may just go where no one's been

Fear Inoculum is a go...
What took you so long lol?

What took you so long lol?

Honest answer: Programmer's depression.

I've waited so long for a new Tool record that I didn't want to artificially infect the album with disposable work day business thoughts, so I intentionally avoided it.

But, an unhappy career path won't deny the amazingness of this record from me, damnit. Not this weekend . Especially after a few beers on a long Australian weekend :messenger_grinning_smiling:. Happy days.

Today is the launch of Fear Inoculum as far as I'm concerned :messenger_beermugs:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Honest answer: Programmer's depression.

I've waited so long for a new Tool record that I didn't want to artificially infect the album with disposable work day business thoughts, so I intentionally avoided it.

But, an unhappy career path won't deny the amazingness of this record from me, damnit. Not this weekend . Especially after a few beers on a long Australian weekend :messenger_grinning_smiling:. Happy days.

Today is the launch of Fear Inoculum as far as I'm concerned :messenger_beermugs:
Going to take much longer than a weekend to get through this album. I didn't even fully digest 1 song in 2 days.

Going to take much longer than a weekend to get through this album. I didn't even fully digest 1 song in 2 days.

Can confirm. 🍺 But it's been an amazing ride so far.

I haven't listened to Tool in at least... 🤔 half a decade. Fear Inoculum feels new to me... yet, listening to the record is strangely comfortable, like putting on a well worn pair of shoes. It's like I just met up with an old best friend. I'm loving the ride.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
First show of the tour was last night. Opened with Fear Inoculum.

Good setlist

That end scream!

Closed with Pneuma (first time live. Same with FI)

So funny how the audience shuts the fuck up almost as soon as shit starts goin

No 7empest. Yet.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
That Pneuma performance is fucking sick. That middle part man. The tightness 😬

Maynard leaving the stage before the band even finishes 🤣 I mean it’s not like he stormed off, but still.

Maybe he had to take a huge shit. At least he did his own weird goodbye thing before bouncing.

Drake

Anyone see them on tour yet? Looks like they are basically playing the same setlist every night with the exception of one song which is kinda lame, but I think that's how they've always done it. And they are not playing 7empest (at least on this leg of the tour) which I am pretty upset about. I understand it's a very complex song, but one can hope...

Looking forward to the Nov 8th concert though.

Thaedolus

I saw them on Friday night and they were fucking phenomenal. They’re quite different from any other show I’ve seen live in that they don’t really have a front man, Maynard stays back the whole time and only a couple times even talked to the crowd. Adam’s usually doing his own thing too and Danny and Justin are the only ones really looking excited, but everyone fuckin brought it. Loved it.

Drake

Pretty good show in Pittsburgh last night. I forgot how fucking tight they are live. They are also loud as fuck. I don't remember them being that loud the last time I saw saw them, but that was almost 20 years ago.

Shirt prices in the arena were stupid expensive. I wasn't dropping $50 on a TOOL shirt. I got 2 parking lot shirts that are just as nice for 10 bucks each. :messenger_grinning:

Cravis

Pretty good show in Pittsburgh last night. I forgot how fucking tight they are live. They are also loud as fuck. I don't remember them being that loud the last time I saw saw them, but that was almost 20 years ago.

Shirt prices in the arena were stupid expensive. I wasn't dropping $50 on a TOOL shirt. I got 2 parking lot shirts that are just as nice for 10 bucks each. :messenger_grinning:
It’s insane how much concert shirts have risen in price in just the past 5 years.

I get it, though, they’re not making money off streaming and all that jazz. Still if I’m already paying $150 for a ticket at least cut me some slack on a t shirt.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It’s insane how much concert shirts have risen in price in just the past 5 years.

I get it, though, they’re not making money off streaming and all that jazz. Still if I’m already paying $150 for a ticket at least cut me some slack on a t shirt.
Yeah it's a huge jump in price. Most bands effectively give away their albums now though and just make money on tours. Tool is obviously not hurting for money though.

That's some expensive... LOOT.

I saw A Perfect Circle last year and bought a scarf. Going to see Godspeed You! Black Emperor in a few weeks and I want to get something, hopefully the prices are reasonable. But it's Godspeed. I'd pay for a guitar pick or a strand of hair.

deafmedal

Fear Inoculum is my (current) favorite album ever. Something about it clicks really well with me. Oddly enough 7empest is possibly my least favorite song of theirs from all the LPs. I don’t dislike it, technically it’s impressive but I don’t really connect with it like vast swathes of their discography. I’m also in love with the production, the dynamics are amazing and beg to be cranked super loud yet it doesn’t really fatigue like so many contemporary albums.

God I can’t wait to see them again
The FI tour was (is) fucking amazing. Even my wife (who went to 4/5 shows with me) would love to see them again soon. I do have to admit that a large storm hitting the city when they whipped out 7empest for the first time is perfect (if not batshit bonkers). As it was so highly anticipated I’m super happy for the fans down under who got it first. Especially since they got (slightly) shafted on posters...

Anyone else here fuck with them posters? I’ve got a fucking problem heh.

HotPocket69

Banned
Most recent recorded 7empest performance in Melbourne and goddam. They sound FANTASTIC.

Imagine getting up to leave as this is starting 🤣

Last edited:

deafmedal

Holy shit!

If you look in the comments there is a link to the whole song on YouTube. I linked the reddit post as I *think* watching the YouTube vid through reddit kills ads as I didn’t have any pop up (for those who don’t have ad free). Soooo fucking awesome, further highlights how great a proper BluRay would be.

Drake

Tool cancelled the rest of the tour for this year. If you bought tickets like I did you'll be getting a refund.

deafmedal

Tool cancelled the rest of the tour for this year. If you bought tickets like I did you'll be getting a refund.
I’ve been busy today so didn’t catch the news from reddit but my wife follows Adam on IG and sent me a screenshot. Good decision at the end of the day I think, there’s folk who can really use that money right now. I was gonna catch some more shows so that kinda sucks but what can you do?!
Hopefully they consider putting out a live 4K/Blu-ray, I know they got footage!

Now to see what they do with the already printed posters 😍

Ixion

Pretty amazing how Tool still hasn't even put out a music video for the new album. I believe it took years to even get the one Vicarious music video for 10,000 days (granted, it was a very cool video). All in all, it would be awesome if they gave us something during this period. I know Danny Carey mentioned possibly doing an EP, but we all know that won't happen anytime soon. So I'm hoping for at least a music video or a live film.

Listening to a music DVD of the UK's 1970s Old Grey Whistle Test in the background and on comes King Crimson. I've heard of their infamy, but never actually heard their music.

Song was "Frame by Frame".

Check it out. What does it remind you of :messenger_winking: ?

Scotty W

Listening to a music DVD of the UK's 1970s Old Grey Whistle Test in the background and on comes King Crimson. I've heard of their infamy, but never actually heard their music.

Song was "Frame by Frame".

Check it out. What does it remind you of :messenger_winking: ?
King Crimson actually opened for Tool back in the day.

If you want to hear their Toolish stuff, I suggest their 90’s and 00’s output. But I think Red is their best album.

Top Bottom