• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myansie

Fairfax have taken the crazy pill today. Mark Kenny is defending Hockey's statement because it's true a child might live to 150. Ok, but how does that relate to a sustainable medicare today? Since when have the Libs been about long term solutions, especially 150 years long term. He pulled it out of his arse, it's completely bullshit reasoning and has nothing to do with why they are trying to do this.

Then Matthew Knott posts an article about university deregulation. He parrots on like a Lib that it's a "communication issue". He goes on about the vice chancellors needing to explain these important reforms. In a thousand words he completely ignores the real world application of the policy in the US of A. Everybody knows what a clusterfuck it's been over there and of course overwhelmingly hate the idea as a result.

Fairfax have taken the crazy pill today. Mark Kenny is defending Hockey's statement because it's true a child might live to 150. Ok, but how does that relate to a sustainable medicare today? Since when have the Libs been about long term solutions, especially 150 years long term. He pulled it out of his arse, it's completely bullshit reasoning and has nothing to do with why they are trying to do this.

Then Matthew Knott posts an article about university deregulation. He parrots on like a Lib that it's a "communication issue". He goes on about the vice chancellors needing to explain these important reforms. In a thousand words he completely ignores the real world application of the policy in the US of A. Everybody knows what a clusterfuck it's been over there and of course overwhelmingly hate the idea as a result.

Eh, from a certain point of view the university reform thing is a communication issue, specifically they are failing to communicate that they don't view universities primarily as places of learning/research but as places that benefit the economy (ie provide staff and cheap R&D* to businesses while operating like businesses themselves) and why this is a good idea (spoiler alert: It's hard to communicate why its a good idea because from a societal level its a terrible idea). Its a transformation that's been going on for years and most top level university admin staff approve (which is why Vice Chancellors were totally behind this before backpedalling like crazy).

*Especially the R&D that is necessary for future projects but doesn't itself have any immediate use.

Dryk

Barring major breakthroughs it's not going to be the norm for a very long time
DR20131009a.jpg

yhZI1pu.png

Fredescu

How much of that is due to more people making it to 70+ rather than the upper limit being pushed? There is a graph for that somewhere right? (ah, your edit has it kinda)

I guess the rich folk are going to be able to transplant their brains into robot bodies and the plebs will be working the salt mines for a 500 year old Murdoch.

Dryk

Yeah I realised it wasn't an adult life expectancy chart and edited in the full data. Once you reach old age your life expectancy hasn't changed a whole lot in the last 100 years

EDIT: Here it is visualised, which shows that most of our advances in longevity are from raising the floor and not the ceiling.
8Y3LJgb.png

Dryk

And here's some data from the UK showing a slow exponential growth which may support his claims better
B7qo1ilIEAAbWSD.png

I wonder if I'll live long enough to see what impact climate change has on these stats

Jintor

And here I thought Hockey spruiking the notion that 50% of your money goes to taxation would be the thing. PROGRESSIVE TAXATION MAN YOU SHOULD REALLY HEAR ABOUT IT*

*to be fair the concept eluded me until I had to start filing my own tax returns

Myansie

That is off the charts crazy. Alan Jones a pinup boy for the left? The science is actually unsettled on fracking. There's strong evidence it is bad for the environment and people's health, but not climate science levels. Our understanding of fracking is where we were on climate science 20-30 years ago.

And Alan Jones thinks climate science is a sham.

I knew the day was coming that the Courier Mail would devolve into a full on parody of itself but I wasn't expecting it to happen so soon. I feel for the "The Shovel" which is going to have serious trouble keeping up.

bomma_man

Courier Mail: "Queensland voters can do without Sydney shock-jocks like Alan Jones telling us what to think"

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...191140671?nk=b2c8f68bd04483cf92d8340fe63c8113

Holy shit: "Jones is actually taken quite seriously by some in his home town of Sydney, where his progressive lifestyle and inner-city views have resulted in him becoming the pin-up boy of anti-development politicians, such as Jeremy Buckingham of the Greens."

No fucking way

Dead Man

Courier Mail: "Queensland voters can do without Sydney shock-jocks like Alan Jones telling us what to think"

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...191140671?nk=b2c8f68bd04483cf92d8340fe63c8113

Holy shit: "Jones is actually taken quite seriously by some in his home town of Sydney, where his progressive lifestyle and inner-city views have resulted in him becoming the pin-up boy of anti-development politicians, such as Jeremy Buckingham of the Greens."

Jesus christ, they are fucking loony.

wonzo

Banned

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/o...d8340fe63c8113

fucking lmao

kyser73

I'm still new to Australia (arrived from the UK 8 months ago) but even I know that Jones is a tory cunt.

Courier Mail through the looking-glass moment then.

So any over/unders on when someone from the right wing commentariat will think #AlanJonesLefty is a serious tag and start defending Jones' right wing credentials ?

(I've already seen a couple of lefties mistake it for something serious on twitter)

Of course they are. Being gay is something that will smear him pretty well amongst his key demographic. It's why he hides it so much.
This is the first I've ever heard this. It's like the day I found out Bob Brown was gay. Him, and my friend from uni... and my other friend from high school... and the kid who lived across the street from me growing up.

I have just come to the realisation that my gaydar is terrible.

Arksy

This is the first I've ever heard this. It's like the day I found out Bob Brown was gay. Him, and my friend from uni... and my other friend from high school... and the kid who lived across the street from me growing up.

Don't worry, mine's even worse.

Dead Man

So is everybody's, confirmation bias just convinces people theirs is awesome :) Nobody gets the right answer on closeted, non artistic, non violently bigoted, older, gay men.

Bernbaum

I'm still new to Australia (arrived from the UK 8 months ago) but even I know that Jones is a tory cunt.

Courier Mail through the looking-glass moment then.

The Courier Mail is just another clickbait site like Buzzfeed. Why are they attempting news reporting?

Quasar

Some good snark that.

Dryk

The last thing we want to be is a second-rate nation living off its luck. This is very serious. Our country is a great country. We’ve got a fundamentally strong economy, but we face many challenges and the political party which is serious about economic reform, the only political party which is serious about budget responsibility is the one I lead.
We are living off our luck, and that was your goddamn party's fault in the first place

wonzo

Banned
I'm no longer surprised by anything this government does but surely messing with IR will completely destroy them.
well they were dumb enough to adopt most of labors social policy at the last election only to tear it all up once they got in. i'd say theyre suicidal enough to try fucking around with IR again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom