• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian Sales-Age: Console LTDs and other goodies

Mar

Tntnnbltn said:
Average age of gamers: 28

This is a lie. Adults don't play with these immature toys. Kids need to be protected from the evil that is adult orientated video games.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
lockii said:
Vook, what's the guy falling over in your avatar from? I laugh every time I see it.

Its from Hitler Stole My Potatoes's GameCube review.

Mar_ said:
This is a lie. Adults don't play with these immature toys. Kids need to be protected from the evil that is adult orientated video games.

I think we need to grab our pitchforks!

Tntnnbltn

The problem with game prices in Australia is that the value of the Aussie dollar has changed while game prices have remained stagnant.

Using PS3 game prices as an example...

From 1 Nov 2006 - 1 Feb 2007 (leadup to PS3 launch): US$1.00 = AU$1.32 (on average)
First party games at AU$100 --> US$75 (the excess margin would take into account shipping, taxes, etc)

Currently: US$1.00 = AU$1.16
First party games at AU$100 --> US$86.

When the next-gen systems launched, they priced their games such that they would be profitable. As luck would have it from them, a weak US dollar / strong 'not US' dollar has increased their profit margins in the PAL region.

The excessive price of games/consoles in Australia and other countries isn't (just) to do with a different cost of living or import taxes. They've shown it's profitable to sell games at US$75 in Australia. It's simply the video game industry's resistance to lowering prices.

VOOK

Tntnnbltn said:
The problem with game prices in Australia is that the value of the Aussie dollar has changed while game prices have remained stagnant.

Using PS3 game prices as an example...

From 1 Nov 2006 - 1 Feb 2007 (leadup to PS3 launch): US$1.00 = AU$1.32 (on average)
First party games at AU$100 --> US$75 (the excess margin would take into account shipping, taxes, etc)

Currently: US$1.00 = AU$1.16
First party games at AU$100 --> US$86.

When the next-gen systems launched, they priced their games such that they would be profitable. As luck would have it from them, a weak US dollar / strong 'not US' dollar has increased their profit margins in the PAL region.

The excessive price of games/consoles in Australia and other countries isn't (just) to do with a different cost of living or import taxes. They've shown it's profitable to sell games at US$75 in Australia. It's simply the video game industry's resistance to lowering prices.

Yeah exactly how JB Hi-Fi can sell games at the price for a couple of days.

Tonche

Heard from a fairly reliable mate that 360 was around 46k for the last 6 weeks of Christmas, 85k for Wii. DS had a 40k week the week before Xmas.

We'll see how the official figures come out.

santouras

alistairw said:
Please, not EA. Cricket 07 is one of the most gratingly boring pieces of crap I've ever played.
what's the general opinion on ricky ponting/brian lara cricket? I got the demo for it on 360 and was thoroughly unimpressed. It annoys me as cricket is such a simple game to put into videogame form, certainly easier then nfl/soccer/hockey/basketball etc etc, yet they seem to do a decent job of that.

Tntnnbltn

Mar_ said:
The recent surge of Wii-playing grannies has bumped up the average age nationwide. :D

Neo C.

It seems that australians love the 360. The population is three times smaller than France, still there are already 300k 360s sold.

D.Lo

freddy said:
Seriously, where are the Wii cricket games publishers? I think lots of people would buy them...
If Nintendo ever have excess hardware on hand (say, in 2011), they can just do a 'Wii Cricket' pack-in, release it in India, and sell 1,000,000,000 consoles in a week.

VOOK

pilonv1 said:
Yes. Plus everyone has switched sides, you'd find it interesting.

It's not a secret forum VOOK, it's in my profile.

:lol I know just pulling your leg

Tntnnbltn said:
US still beats the Australian market.

United States
- Population: 301 million
- 2007 video game industry: US$17.9 billion
- US$59.4 per capita

Australia
- Population: 21 million
- 2007 video game industry: AU$1.3 billion (US$1.1 billion)
- US$52.3 per capita

Canada
- Population: 33 million
- 2007 video game industry: CAD$1.5 billion (US$1.45 billion)
- US$45.5 per capita
Someone needs to add the UK and Japan to that. :D

donny2112

Tntnnbltn said:
Are you sure about those YTD figures?

"Microsoft also announced a jump in sales during 2007, claiming more units of their Xbox 360 games console were sold than for any other next-generation platform."
- http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23089414-12377,00.html

Suggests Xbox 360 YTD should be higher than PS3.

You're correct in that they are not exact. I had to use the mid-January 360 total for its end-of-year total, so the real YTD for the 360 in 2007 should be a little lower. ;)

http://palgn.com.au/article.php?id=6888 (360 sales were at 140K at the end of 2006)

Tntnnbltn

donny2112 said:
You're correct in that they are not exact. I had to use the mid-January 360 total for its end-of-year total, so the real YTD for the 360 in 2007 should be a little lower. ;)

http://palgn.com.au/article.php?id=6888 (360 sales were at 140K at the end of 2006)
It's alright, I figured it out. Microsoft are using GFK's "sold" figure of 155,000 PS3s, which means they must've outsold them in 2007 with ~160,000.

D.Lo

donny2112 said:

Here's another brain ticker for you.

Microsoft said:
First up is news that the Xbox 360 has now sold over 300,000 units in Australia, with two million games sold and 520,000 accessories run off store shelves. According to Microsoft, Australian consumers spent more money on Xbox 360 products in 2007--including hardware, software and accessories--than on any other next-generation platform.
http://www.palgn.com.au/article.php?id=10114

But then...
Sony said:
For the 2007 calendar year, GfK retail figures show that over 155,000 PS3 consoles were sold. This represents the highest hardware dollar value of any platform in the interactive entertainment industry.
http://www.palgn.com.au/article.php?id=10078

Tntnnbltn

D.Lo said:
Here's another brain ticker for you.
PS3 hardware sales > Xbox 360 hardware sales

Xbox 360 hardware+software+accessory sales > PS3 hardware+software+accessory sales

Basically, 360 software sales made a killing.

D.Lo

^^Oh yeah, I just meant it was proof you could spin anything in your favour - you just need one detail you can grab hold of.

Both are spin - neither sold the most hardware (by a wide margin), so both have resorted to 'dollar value' claims, it's just that they each had a different angle to swing the spin on.

Oh, and I wouldn't say 360 software sales made a 'killing', I think it's highly likely the 360 sold less games then either the DS or PS2. This is shown by the fact they couldn't even claim the overall revenue was the highest (having to drop back to 'next-generation platform' as a qualifier), even though their hardware is basically three times the price of either, so 360 was likely well behind in game sales by units.

Tntnnbltn

D.Lo said:
Oh, and I wouldn't say 360 software sales made a 'killing', I think it's highly likely the 360 sold less games then either the DS or PS2. This is shown by the fact they couldn't even claim the overall revenue was the highest (having to drop back to 'next-generation platform' as a qualifier), even though their hardware is basically three times the price of either, so 360 was likely well behind in game sales by units.
Oh, I know that. I meant compared to the PS3. It seemed like the least-trollish way of saying "PS3 has no gamez lulz"

EDIT - Oh, now I know where I've seen your avatar. :D

Top Bottom