• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AV Club: 20 great TV episodes too painful to watch twice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatalah

Woah, #1 was at the top of my list before I clicked into this thread.

That episode of Six Feet Under was torturous!

Wilson's Heart was definitely super sad :( That shows highs were super high. Worth the lows in the later seasons.

Agree with everything about Ozymandias though. It's a trainwreck you know is coming but you still wince at what's going on.

mclem

Actually, my mind went to one scene in particular from a much much older work.

aNjR9tU.png

(From a grittier-than-most medical drama, Cardiac Arrest. The full scene is here). Really really really not for the faint-hearted.

Ramza

Banned
I can't believe "Family Meeting" from The Shield didn't make that list. My most painful TV experience ever.

Bleepey

There's 1 or 2 The Shield episodes I would include on a list like this.

Particularly, Family Meeting, the season 7 and series finale.

The fate of Shane's family, Ronnie getting screwed by Vic, etc. It's just so brutal. I've never rewatched that entire season because of it.

You could cheat and include so much of the Shield. I personally think the lack of Scrubs is a damn shame. The finale made me weep like I was at a funeral.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Hard to take a list seriously that doesn't have The Shield's Family Meeting pt. 1&2 in the top five, or even at all. Watching that episode was like a punch to the gut. When you realize what's about to happen you really start to feel physically ill. TV has never effected me as much as the last to episodes of The Shield.

List is invalidated. Because these episodes are not only too painful to watch twice, they make the rest of the series too painful to watch again (to me at least).

Jag

I'd have to add the MASH finale. It was a black comedy, but the final show was just heartwrenching. I was really young when it aired, but I have no desire to ever watch it again.

No "Family Meeting" (The Shield), near the top of the list is ridiculous. Not making the list discredits the entire thing

Nekofrog

Banned
I didn't watch the last... two (?) seasons, did that happen there? What'd they do?

time travely shit where they make it so they get reunited and shit so the ending of this episode doesn't actually happen. but it's all weird time travely shit so whatever

Dice//

Banned
Oh man that Scott's Tots episode. I just rewatched seasons 1-7 and skipped straight to the finale after that, and the only episode I couldn't re-watch was Scott's Tots. Too much.

The Office is about awkwardness. But that episode took it to the 11. You're less laughing and more despairing.

By whatever coincidence, whenever I watch that episode I'm like 1200% positive someone MUST be cutting onions nearby...

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I have to say Southland when Nate got killed. The beginning of the ep opens with Sammy covered in blood in the hospital so it's obvious what's gonna happen but it was still shocking. The ep was almost over and everything was going fine. Both Sammy and Nate were fine. Then a random bottle hits their car and Nate loses it.

I don't even know what happened. At first o thought Nate got shot in the head but then I read online he got hit with a pipe. Sad moment
I'm in board with Southland, but I'd go with the episode where Cooper gets taken hostage. Holy hell that was intense.

Guzim

Final Grades is the S4 finale, right? Because i agree. That episode impacted me more than anything I've ever seen on film. I felt depressed about it for over a week.
Yes, that's the s4 finale. When HBO was having The Wire marathon a couple of months ago, I couldn't watch Final Grades since it is so devastating.

bm1616

Surprised Scrubs didn't make the list. "My Lunch" or "My Screw Up" are tough to watch once, let alone multiple times.

Came to see if there was any Scrubs. Add "My Long Goodbye" to that list.

Haven't seen a lot of those shows so kinda just skimmed it in case I ever feel like watching them.

Sadist

Yeah, the Buffy episode made me so glum, afterwards I went to my parents and hugged them.

House was pretty heavy as well.

DominoKid

Scott's Tots felt like a last gasp of the original vision of the Michael Scott character, and not the character he had become. It felt seriously out of place when it aired. I couldn't even sit through it, because it kind of makes him a monster.

If you love cringe humor, I can kind of see liking it, but all I saw was cringe beyond belief. Basically unwatchable.

Oh man that Scott's Tots episode. I just rewatched seasons 1-7 and skipped straight to the finale after that, and the only episode I couldn't re-watch was Scott's Tots. Too much.

Scott's Tots is painful, but not as painful as the Season 9 finale. I just skip it and go straight back to S01E01.

whaaaaat? Scott's Tots is hilarious. i don't even like The Office that much but that shit has me dying every time

I didn't watch the last... two (?) seasons, did that happen there? What'd they do?

It sort of happens differently. Fry ends up going back in time in one of the movies and spends time with him.

He leaves again to go back to the future later though, so everything is intact.

Tiktaalik

I don't understand how this list doesn't include X-Files "Home" which was so disturbing that Fox never showed it again..

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The episode is meant to awaken you to the fact that everybody's perception of Amber is filtered through House's POV. It's a powerful moment.

Then I'm sorry, they failed at making that. Because all I could think is "cool, she's gone. Maybe now we'll get more Olivia Wilde and Omar Epps."

Trouble

Banned
Hard to take a list seriously that doesn't have The Shield's Family Meeting pt. 1&2 in the top five, or even at all. Watching that episode was like a punch to the gut. When you realize what's about to happen you really start to feel physically ill. TV has never effected me as much as the last to episodes of The Shield.

Yep, that list is a failure. What
Shane
does in The Shield's finale was unbelievably brutal to watch.

maxcriden

I think the Lost episode "Two for the Road" should be on there. I still find the ending completely dark, creepy, and brutal.

FWIW I found it very odd more than anything at the time.
IIRC rumors were those two would be killed off because of their recent arrests for DUIs in Hawaii. Then they were both killed off in an episode title Two For The Road.
Hmm....

bengraven

MASH season 3 finale.

I have a message. Lieutenant Colonel... Henry Blake's plane... was shot down... over the Sea of Japan. It spun in ... there were no survivors.

Dommo

That's the episode they pick for The Wire? Not a bad final episode, but it's not a particularly painful or convincing one. The Dukie ending felt slightly contrived and remained a relatively minor part of the episode as a whole. The last two episodes of S4 and S2, and the last four episodes of S1 would all be better picks. Filled to the brim with extremely emotionally charged shit.

avince92

Neo Member
I'd say that The Americans episode that aired recently where they had to break the dead ladies bones to stuff her in a suitcase was one of the more gruesome things I've seen and it was rather hard to watch/listen.

Agreed. Almost had to turn it off during that part. It's a shame more people don't watch that show.

rjinaz

Agreed. Almost had to turn it off during that part. It's a shame more people don't watch that show.

I can't watch a show where you have to root for the bad guys. It's just a hangup I have. I tried though, I made it through a good part of season 1. Couldn't tell you the direction of the show now though.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Came here looking for the Six Feet Under episode. That episode was needless cruel and was the last episode of the show I watched.

Wow. If you really stopped watching the show at that point I legitimately feel sorry for you. You are missing some really great television.

explodet

I watched the NewsRadio episode dealing with Bill McNeil's death. ONCE.
It was a tribute to Phil Hartman himself, and man was it rough.

LaneDS

time travely shit where they make it so they get reunited and shit so the ending of this episode doesn't actually happen. but it's all weird time travely shit so whatever

It sort of happens differently. Fry ends up going back in time in one of the movies and spends time with him.

He leaves again to go back to the future later though, so everything is intact.

That's kind of a shame, although that original episode is so gut wrenching that part of me is okay that they softened the blow a little.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

No, the scenes all happen, but fry shows up shortly after them all. And we see how he became incased in dolemite.

Speevy

Banned
Rome Season 2 Episode 8 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoZPY3vnacc

She's probably the only character on the show that didn't deserve anything that happened to her. Not being raped by the man who freed her. Not having to watch the man she was supposed to marry beaten to death. And certainly not poisoned by the piece of garbage that Pullo was screwing.

Are those Futurama episodes in there? The dog and the brother.

First thing I looked for, and neither made the cut :(

I've actually rewatched a few episodes on that list, but those two Futurama episodes I just can't handle. I would've liked to see Fringe on the list, their finale and the White Tulip episode really got to me.

What the fuck at the lack of The Shield season 5 finale.

Forgot about that one. Brutal episode that definitely should be on the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom