• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ava DuVernay to Direct Disney’s ‘A Wrinkle in Time’

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://collider.com/a-wrinkle-in-time-movie-ava-duvernay-disney/

Selma director Ava DuVernay is due to make the leap to blockbuster filmmaking in a big way. Following her stellar work on the Martin Luther King Jr. drama, DuVernay became one of the most highly sought after directors in Hollywood. While she entered preliminary talks to helm Marvel’s Black Panther, she and the studio amicably decided to part ways after DuVernay realized the extent of the studio’s hand in making that particular feature. But now DuVernay has finally signed on to another film, and it’s a big one: Disney’s adaptation of the classic 1963 Madeline L’Engle novel A Wrinkle in Time.

We actually first heard word about DuVernay’s involvement with the picture a couple of weeks ago, when news broke that Disney was courting the Middle of Nowhere filmmaker to take the helm. Now, after six months of courtship by the studio, Deadline reports that the deal has closed and DuVernay will be directing from a script by Frozen co-writer/co-director Jennifer Lee.

The first in a series of novels in the vein of C.S. Lewis’ Chronicles of Narnia, A Wrinkle in Time revolves around a young girl whose government scientist father goes missing after working on a mysterious project. The subsequent search for her father takes her to alternate dimensions where she crosses paths with a variety of different creatures.

As someone who loved the book, I am fucking excited. DuVernay is an excellent choice of director.

"A straight line is not the shortest distance between two points."

Marvel talks stalled and Disney was like, "What about Star Wars? No? What about all the other stuff we own? Anything? We own a ton of stuff. Wrinkle in Time? Sure, why not?"

Dynomutt

Compelled to post. Read this book in six grade and it was a wrap. Read the entire time quartet and even the other books which were slightly related.

If done right they could do the entire time quartet and make it a saga.

Please do it justice.

I was probably too young and too new to English when I read this book to remember the plot, but I just remember this melancholy, dream-like atmosphere that no other children's books offered (at least the ones in school). I should go reread it.

Edit: reflecting a bit, maybe that's why Interstellar struck such a chord with me, even though I recognized its problems.

You could tell they wanted her for something from the Black Panther talks, considering they ended really amicably.

She's also been kind of spinning her wheels for a while. Seems very, very picky on projects now

Sesha

Never read the book. Wish she was directing Black Panther. Surprised she'll still be working with Disney.

Pau

I read like two pages of the book but couldn't really get into it. Granted, this was more than ten years ago. I should try again.

I will say that if something as weird and out there as Life of Pi could work as a film, so can this.

Disney would not have signed off on this otherwise.

I haven't read the book, but I'm interested in anything she works on after seeing Selma.

Speaking of a time travel story she's also said "I’m a big Octavia Butler fan, so if somebody gave me the rights to Kindred, I would make that hot. I’m just putting that out there.”

I'm not sure if it would happen though. I don't think I've ever seen a black sci-fi movie out of Hollywood. The Matrix came the closest with how many black folks were in that, which after reading the lawsuits around that movie, it might've been because it was written by a black woman.

Goodstyle

Yikes, the pressure is on for her. If this movie doesn't do well, her career will hit a major road block. According to Paul Feig, you can only get away with 1 failure in this industry if you're a dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom