• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avalanche (Just Cause) - Wii U dev kits collecting dust, Nintendo is hard to reach

SmokyDave

This is just as bad as the lazy devs excuse you know.
In before CPU is to bla..

Nevermind.
Calm down, I was just gently ribbing BlackJace. The CPU can't be to blame if they aren't even making games for it, can it?

Interesting that you expected to read comments to that effect though, blu.

Zombie U doesn't deserve to be in the same room with MH and NfS. Disappointing game, maybe a lot of potential, but ultimately just disappointing.
You crazy. Zombi-U is fantastic.

Come on guys, there is always a prejudice against Nintendo. If they made an ultra powerful console, sold it for $99 and offered you a puppy with every purchase, developers would still not get on board.

You cannot say that there isn't an anti-Nintendo feeling in the western game-development world

Or maybe....just maybe...people don't want to work for another weirdly designed architecture from Nintendo for a console selling like dogshit. But hey, maybe if we keep blaming it on prejudice things will get better despite the fact that publishers decide where to put games and not developers and if publishers saw a good chance for money they would go for it. But I'm sure 3rd parties will be even more open to developing reading about how they are lazy fucks who are out to destroy Nintendo.

Return the devs kits to Nintendo then.

A shame to see them being wasted on a company with no intention of supporting them when there are plenty of Indies who'd jump at the chance of a free kit.

Firstly, it doesn't work like that.

And this isn't about Avalanche having no intention to develop for Wii U. Avalanche is bound by its publishers and what they want. If they're not going to publish a Wii U version, why on earth would Avalanche develop one?

When the console is bombing, apparently yes (see; Vita, Wii U)

Urban legend? Big studios and publishers always buy dev-kit. They're cheap for them. Nintendo sent dev-kits for free to indies, for which the cost might not be negligible.

It seems like that was the excuse publishers gave when the truth it seems is that they think wii u is doomed and want nothing to do with it

It seems just not able to build contractual relationships with third parties. Games were never present on the platform, and that's something you should plan years before the release of the platform.

Mastperf

Because it's Nintendo. Nintendo doesn't do a "me too" thing often, nor focus solely upon power, seemingly foolishly thinking that it's games that matter, not tech and so the western companies and journalists seem to not like them and/or want them gone
The WiiU is a poorly executed system from concept to completion. Games are the most important thing and that why you build the hardware and offer support developers and gamers want. MS and Sony will have far more games on their system at this rate while also having far more powerful hardware. The Wiiu is a system built by Nintendo for Nintendo.

Criterion is based in the UK. Nintendo at least tried to have presence there. Nintendo just doesn't happen to really care about the particular area of the world where Avalanche is based. Many positive comments coming from devs are from areas where Nintendo has traditionally had strong presence.
Where is Avalanche based?

hamchan

Come on guys, there is always a prejudice against Nintendo. If they made an ultra powerful console, sold it for $99 and offered you a puppy with every purchase, developers would still not get on board.

You cannot say that there isn't an anti-Nintendo feeling in the western game-development world

If there is then it's Nintendo's fault.

If all these indie devs are saying Nintendo is great to work with they need to hurry up and release some stuff. I did my part and bought Kung Fu Rabbit - now give me something good

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Only few months left to troll Wii U. Don't miss your chance!

Months? No my dear, try: 5 years.

In before CPU is to bla..

If the CPU isn't to blame, then it's the GPU/RAM/whatever. The small user-base is a symptom, but if developers can't put their engine on the system what is the cause?

No way. It's way too early. There are still several dozen more development studios that have yet to shit on Nintendo.

These devs and publishers seem to be very invested in the failure of Nintendo. If Nintendo ever manages to turn it around these guys will have some mending to do.

All eggs in the PS4 basket!

Er, not really. It's not like third parties flocked to the Wii just because it sold a tonne, the same thing would happen this generation. They'll develop for PS4/720 and not give a damn about Nintendo hardware.

1-D_FTW

Garbage. The last time Nintendo did this it was a vastly different world. Had they did this and truly competed tech wise, they would have gotten dirty ports just like everyone else. You really think most PC ports do blockbuster sales? They don't have to. It's a cheap and easy port and it's pure profit as a result.

You can't release a system that requires significant effort to port and expect publishers to support it without significant returns.

Risette

A Good Citizen

hahahaha

There's a reason there's an anti-Nintendo feeling in the western development world: see this thread.

BlackJace

Calm down, I was just gently ribbing BlackJace. The CPU can't be to blame if they aren't even making games for it, can it?

Interesting that you expected to read comments to that effect though, blu.

You crazy. Zombi-U is fantastic.

Thought you were serious :p

Oh, one of your comments in OT got me in stitches yesterday.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
- Avalanche has no plans for Wii U

Fair. Not everybody has plans for every system. Lots of factors to consider.

- Have a couple of Wii U dev kits that only collects dust

Wasn't sure they'd have devkits, but point No.1 kinda makes this obvious.

- Too small install base according to Sundberg

Correct, and from what we've heard software attachment rates are quite low (unless your name is New Super Mario Bros. U and Lego City). This is particularly true when Avalanche is no doubt dealing with publishers funding their projects. They are, for example, apparently making a Mad Max game. Given that would be published by Warner, Warner would have a pretty big say on which platforms their willing to fund development for.

- Nintendo is hard to reach, you never know how to contact them

Interesting. Some seem to have no problems. This could be a regional thing though. Avalanche is based in Sweden, meaning it would be up to NOE to deal with them. Perhaps European contact is a bit iffy.

- Believes Nintendo has a lot to win with copying Sony, reach out to developers, create enthusiasm

If they've personally had a better time with Sony than Nintendo, then I can't really argue with that. Their experience is as subjective and relevant as anybody else, and they can only go off what they know.

wsippel

Banned
Developers much smaller than Avalanche contacted Nintendo around GDC and got their kits a few weeks later, so I'm not quite sure what Sundberg is talking about. Also, this really isn't hard to find. The installed base issue is fact, no way to spin it, but I don't buy the "hard to reach" part.

Interesting. Some seem to have no problems. This could be a regional thing though. Avalanche is based in Sweden, meaning it would be up to NOE to deal with them. Perhaps European contact is a bit iffy.
Doesn't seem to be the case judging by all the European devs who got approved recently.

JoeM86

Or maybe....just maybe...people don't want to work for another weirdly designed architecture from Nintendo for a console selling like dogshit. But hey, maybe if we keep blaming it on prejudice things will get better despite the fact that publishers decide where to put games and not developers and if publishers saw a good chance for money they would go for it. But I'm sure 3rd parties will be even more open to developing reading about how they are lazy fucks who are out to destroy Nintendo.

If the console was selling at crazy, they wouldn't support it. Look at the Wii. Yes, it was underpowered, but it was selling like crazy and if they put effort in, they could have got a decent selling game on it.

The western world is focused on power. If Nintendo went the power route again, like they did with the Gamecube, it would again fail, and it would destroy their financials

Satchel

Banned
It's disappointing.

It's not bad, but it clearly lacks budget, variety, a clear focus and actual gameplay design. If you told me it's a downloadable game like I Am Alive I would believe you.

Can't be serious.

Its one if the most engrossing games I've played in years.

Yeah it could use some polish, but like Uncharted Drakes Fortune, you forgive the flaws in the first game of a new IP destined to become a franchise.

ZombiU is great.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Blame WiiU owners.
Hey! After years of paying at most £30 for a game suddenly being asked to cough up £45+ for one was a big ask. I didn't even buy NSMBU day one until I managed to snag a cheaper copy with some discount vouchers. Also being in the UK has conditioned me to know that a month later the price of a game will be slashed.

If the console was selling at crazy, they wouldn't support it. Look at the Wii. Yes, it was underpowered, but it was selling like crazy and if they put effort in, they could have got a decent selling game on it.

The western world is focused on power. If Nintendo went the power route again, like they did with the Gamecube, it would again fail, and it would destroy their financials

What about the Japanese world? No one is supporting the wii u because it's a badly designed system architecturally selling like shit. This is all on Nintendo and if they want to fix things I hope they aren't droning on about how everyone hates them

Sendou

It is. With Frozenbyte and Trine 2 (based in Finland, basically the same situation as in Sweden) it worked because NoE approached them and made the project happen.

Taker666

Frozenbyte (Trine 2 DC) is based in Finland (right next door to Sweden). They seemed happy working with Nintendo (although it does seem like most Indie stuff is run through NOA).

What I don't understand is the Wii U has an advantage in the userbase regarding nextgen, even if it is not selling well right now, PS4 and Durango have 0 install base, so that argument is flawed IMHO.

We know Nintendo will push the Wii U hard this second half.

Now Nintendo needs to fix a lot of things, I hope they pull through.

I think all Nintendo needed to do was make a console only 1.5 more powerful then the current xbox360 and ps3.

I could have easily tipped the scale toward Wii U having better ports and leading us to PS4 / 720.

Good I am glad Nintendo is failing. They need to redo the Wii U asap.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

You keep bringing up a western bias but Japan doesn't give a shit either.

Yep, this has nothing to do with Nintendo prejudice, but rather their decisions. As soon as I heard about the Gamepad, I knew this system was headed for trouble. You could see it coming from a mile away. The Gamepad is not going to capture the large casual audience the Wii attracted and it is going to affect the console in such a negative way in power and resources that developers would stay away as well.

If the Wii U dropped the Gamepad and stuck with the Pro Controller, boosted the performance of the machine , made it x86 architecture, and kept the price $300-$350, then I for sure would have bought one around launch and most likely there would be more games on it by now and I bet stories like this wouldn't have existed. Even Nintendo seems to be affected by the Wii U's design! Iwata just admitted in their investors call that they are behind on development.

The Nintendo difference has always been their franchises, not their control scheme. Instead of realizing that they tried to catch lightning in a bottle again with the Gamepad, and that was a poorly conceived idea in my opinion.

Mario007

Fair. Not everybody has plans for every system. Lots of factors to consider.

Wasn't sure they'd have devkits, but point No.1 kinda makes this obvious.

Correct, and from what we've heard software attachment rates are quite low (unless your name is New Super Mario Bros. U and Lego City). This is particularly true when Avalanche is no doubt dealing with publishers funding their projects. They are, for example, apparently making a Mad Max game. Given that would be published by Warner, Warner would have a pretty big say on which platforms their willing to fund development for.

If they've personally had a better time with Sony than Nintendo, then I can't really argue with that. Their experience is as subjective and relevant as anybody else, and they can only go off what they know.
You, Sir, are awesome!

JoeM86

Yep, this has nothing to do with Nintendo prejudice, but rather their decisions. As soon as I heard about the Gamepad, I knew this system was headed for trouble. You could see it coming from a mile away. The Gamepad is not going to capture the large casual audience the Wii attracted and it is going to affect the console in such a negative way in power and resources that developers would stay away as well.

If the Wii U dropped the Gamepad and stuck with the Pro Controller, boosted the performance of the machine , made it x86 architecture, and kept the price $300-$350, then I for sure would have bought one around launch and most likely there would be more games on it by now and I bet stories like this wouldn't have existed. Even Nintendo seems to be affected by the Wii U's design! Iwata just admitted in their investors call that they are behind on development.

The Nintendo difference has always been their franchises, not their control scheme. Instead of realizing that they tried to catch lightning in a bottle again with the Gamepad, and that was a poorly conceived idea in my opinion.

So you'd really want a third, near identical, system? How exactly would that sell?

Drencrom

Prejudice? You really think publishers and devs would ignore a platform if it was worthwhile to them?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Criterion is based in the UK. Nintendo at least tried to have presence there. Nintendo just doesn't happen to really care about the particular area of the world where Avalanche is based. Many positive comments coming from devs are from areas where Nintendo has traditionally had strong presence.
What stops people from outside the country from contacting the UK branch? Games aren't local like that, I'm sure these guys work with tons of people from abroad... I don't see how that could be it.

JDSN

Banned
I had no idea up until this point that Avalance was independent, cool beans.
Maybe Nintendo should give them a call.

Maxrunner

Bulletpoints, translated by me

What does this mean?
Also, the whole EA FB engine thing, seems a bit strange, so at one point there was the unprecedented partnership and they didn't told Nintendo their current tech couldn't handle their most important internal engine? really?

It's not just about console sales and install-base. It's about demographics. Yes, the Wii sold like crazy, but not necessarily to the types of people that buy lots of games every month and play sports and shooters etc.

Also I was one of the many people who bought a Wii. And I played Nintendo games on it. But everything else? On my 360 or PS3. Especially with how blatantly awful Wii looked on an HDTV even back in 2006, and especially having already owned a 360 a year before it came out. I didn't give a crap about the 'power' or specs, just how things actually looked and played.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It is. With Frozenbyte and Trine 2 (based in Finland, basically the same situation as in Sweden) it worked because NoE approached them and made the project happen.

Frozenbyte (Trine 2 DC) is based in Finland (right next door to Sweden). They seemed happy working with Nintendo (although it does seem like most Indie stuff is run through NOA).

Yeah, that's true. Just seems to be a weird situation in Europe. Really impossible to tell without getting some more details from other European developers, both small and large.

What I don't understand is the Wii U has an advantage in the userbase regarding nextgen, even if it is not selling well right now, PS4 and Durango have 0 install base, so that argument is flawed IMHO.

It's a little more complex than that. All platforms are a gamble, including new ones. If developers wanted to make the safest bet they'd not bother releasing anything on a new platform.

With the case of PS4/X720 and Wii U, publishers may be gambling on the former harder than the latter, simply because they project their success as greater. The perceived power gap between the systems may also make building primarily PS4/X720 games difficult to port down to the Wii U (obviously not counting cross generation titles). And finally, software attachment rates need to be considered. The PS4/X720 have no market penetration at all, but that's exactly what makes them a fresh gamble. The Wii U does, and it's crappy, meanwhile software attachment rates are apparently low.

At the moment it's probably not very appealing to publishers, publishers who are in the middle of dealing with high gambles and expenses of a two more soon-to-launch platforms.

IrishNinja

True. I'll be way too busy for that when the next gen consoles arrive ;)

dave a smiley implies humor, there is nothing funny about this harsh truth

They are discontinuing it that soon?

i said goddamn

Nintendo already planing on Nintendo Next for E3.

can you even imagine "the saturn is not our future" at an E3 in our digital age? i honestly can't

3D Mario and Zelda will barely move the needle.

i figure you're basing this on the gamecube somehow, this is a weird thing to say

8bits

Banned
Bulletpoints, translated by me
- Avalanche has no plans for Wii U
- Have a couple of Wii U dev kits that only collects dust
- Too small install base according to Sundberg
- Believes Nintendo has a lot to win with copying Sony, reach out to developers, create enthusiasm

[UPDATE]
Article translated with google translate:

Source (Norwegian)
http://www.pressfire.no/spesialer/gdc-13/6919/-Utviklermaskinene-stvet-bare-ned

Wasn't Nintendo really vocal about how they were going to offer devs as much help as they needed? I think I remember reports earlier, close to Wii U launch, about some dev studios that received a lot of help from Nintendo. Did they decide to cut back on helping out or did Avalanche just not try very hard to get in touch?

It does sound odd that a dev studio with a Wii u dev kit wouldn't know how to contact Nintendo. Of course...it is Nintendo.

JoeM86

With the case of PS4/X720 and Wii U, publishers may be gambling on the former harder than the latter, simply because they project their success as greater. The perceived power gap between the systems may also make building primarily PS4/X720 games difficult to port down to the Wii U (obviously not counting cross generation titles). And finally, software attachment rates need to be considered. The PS4/X720 have no market penetration at all, but that's exactly what makes them a fresh gamble. The Wii U does, and it's crappy, meanwhile software attachment rates are apparently low.

At the moment it's probably not very appealing to publishers, publishers who are in the middle of dealing with high gambles and expenses of a two more soon-to-launch platforms.

Yeah, but many developers and publishers gave up on the Wii U long before it was even released

Turrican3

Or maybe....just maybe...people don't want to work for another weirdly designed architecture from Nintendo for a console selling like dogshit.
No, it's because of the audience, simple as that. EDIT: beaten

PS3 as far as I understand had/has a weird architecture and started quite bad as well, but that didn't prevent developers from giving it support.
It's a vicious circle that right now I believe only some heavy moneyhatting (or at least co-developing efforts) could break.

Top Bottom