• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avalanche Studios porting Rise of the Tomb Raider to PS4?

Bit of an aside, but for those who have played RotTR, is/are the story/characters any better than they were in TR 2013? Just finished that recently, and... well, the plot never really went anywhere interesting and the characters were all pretty one-dimensional. I'd like to
eventually
be excited for the PS4 port, but unless those things were improved, I doubt that'll happen.
It's a bit better, but I still don't give a fuck about the characters, I am near end. Lara voice actress is still annoying me.

IvanJ

Banned
Is Square Enix trying to completely destroy the franchise?
I have zero confidence in the work Avalanche does, especially after the JC3 mess.

The PS4 version already had everything stacked against it, all it needs is a half-assed port to murder sales.

I already planned to wait for 50% off whichever retail price they release it at, but it seems that I'll wait for a bargain bin price. The first one reached it fairly quickly, this one will drop like a rock.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Bit of a silly move giving this to Microsoft exclusively and i reckon that decision could mean and end to the tomb raider franchise. No one will buy it on the ps4 when they have a ton of multi platform / ps4 exclusives to look forward to.

Even with other stuff coming I'll buy it new at a discount, whenever that is. Tomb Raider 2013 is one of my favourite games of all-time so I'm a die-hard fan. Also, the Tomb Raider IP has never gone dormant for long. I don't see that happening, even if this kills the current series.

Avalanche ?
X0ljG.gif

Bit of an aside, but for those who have played RotTR, is/are the story/characters any better than they were in TR 2013? Just finished that recently, and... well, the plot never really went anywhere interesting and the characters were all pretty one-dimensional. I'd like to
eventually
be excited for the PS4 port, but unless those things were improved, I doubt that'll happen.

Not really no. It's pretty much the the same game on that front, for better or worse. Lara's VA has if anything gotten worse since the last one too, unfortunately. They really need to recast her ASAP.

Everything else is improved though, I mean mechanically it's just stellar, but if you didn't enjoy the last one I'd be surprised if you would this, they're very similar experiences.

RedAssedApe

Banned
hmm...im not sure i've played any of their ports. will still probably buy this though...considering how much i liked the last one.

camilla was an odd choice. her natural speaking voice sometimes sounds american. more room for the voice acting to feel forced.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Fuuu-- I don't have my PC hooked up to my TV, and needed to upgrade it anyway. Was hoping on avoiding that, but I guess I can't delay that forever.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
There's a 2 word answer for this.

Both words are No.
It's a bit better, but I still don't give a fuck about the characters, I am near end. Lara voice actress is still annoying me.
Not really no. It's pretty much the the same game on that front, for better or worse. Lara's VA has if anything gotten worse since the last one too, unfortunately. They really need to recast her ASAP.

Everything else is improved though, I mean mechanically it's just stellar, but if you didn't enjoy the last one I'd be surprised if you would this, they're very similar experiences.

Oof. I don't know if the world and gameplay can carry me through a second time.

I recall a particularly unintentionally funny moment near the end of the first game when Lara is in a rush to save her I'm a hip modern young adult friend from being sacrificed or whatever, she's covered in cuts and grime, she's killed a small army of ancient samurai warriors, and then she stops to pick up a relic and marvel over it calmly like she's visiting a museum.

I'm coming for you you bahstahds!

Arklite

Gambling on the port job, ey? The various versions of Rise have been relatively spotless so they've got something to live up to.

Shin-chan

I recall a particularly unintentionally funny moment near the end of the first game when Lara is in a rush to save her I'm a hip modern young adult friend from being sacrificed or whatever, she's covered in cuts and grime, she's killed a small army of ancient samurai warriors, and then she stops to pick up a relic and marvel over it calmly like she's visiting a museum.

I'd argue that the setting and writing is worse this time around. But I have near 100% negative opinions about this game compared to the first. Seriously, though, there is not a single likeable character, especially Lara. And they somehow made the weapons and shooting less fun than before as well.

EGM1966

SE determined to go "full Konami" on Rise huh?

Oh well given its probably a straight port due to contracts it should be fine so long as they sort out the input lag. If true sounds like a straight port with little Optimization is on the cards.

Joni

Maybe they asked around for someone to do proper update, a definitive edition, rather than just another port and Nixxes wasn't up to the task or wasn't interested? A port like what we've seen on PC would make no sense at this point since it'll arrive so late and will likely look worse than on PC.
Didnt Nixxes do the definitive Edition for the original? So this would be weird and potentially bad news.

roytheone

That stuff is still in the game. Like, all the time.

SJRB

Gold Member
O god, please no.

They messed up bigtime with Just Cause 3, released a performance patch earlier this week after 3 months and guess what? It made things even worse. Game runs at 10fps at times, I'm not even kidding.

What studio made the PS4 version of Tomb Raider 2013 remaster?

Nixxes, which is a god-tier porting studio [alongside Bluepoint].

If it does come out at the end of the year, its going to get lost in some big game launches, probably will see big drop in price within a couple of weeks. The whole TR fiasco has been a right old mess. A poor port would just be the nail in the coffin right now.

Will wait and see with interest in how this works out.

Parsnip

If true, I guess Nixxes is just going to be too busy with Deus Ex and Hitman for the rest of the year.

And who knows what else.

Chances of the year-late PS4 port of ROTTR including all the DLC on disc?

If this rumour is true, and they're not bothering to even get the best studio available with previous experience of porting the game and its predecessor to PS4, I'd say it's unlikely.

SE clearly don't give a shit about the Playstation player base, which bodes very ill for the quality and value of this port and the future of this franchise generally.

ps3ud0

If it's a choice between RoTR or DE:MD then SE did the right thing getting Nixxes on the Deus Ex sequel.

ps3ud0 8)

So, the same guys who developed Just Cause 3?

Ha! Well, my interest in this just took a nosedive.

There are two Avalanche studios. One is based in Sweden and the other is based in New York. The Swedish team did Mad Max, which is nearly locked at 30fps, while the New York team did JC3.

semiconscious

Gold Member
Why the hell would Avalanche Studios be porting over a game that Crystal Dynamics should be able to do pretty easily? The PS4 version was already in development before the timed exclusive deal happened and they should easily be able to finish it up by year's end.

As for Avalanche Studios, I like them and loved Mad Max. Didn't play Just Cause 3 but at the same time, I don't have any interest in doing so.

same. mad max was 2015's sleeper of the year :) ...

Guymelef

People talking about Just Cause 3...
This news doesn't even say what Avalanche is it.
Just Cause 3 is Avalanche New York, Mad Max is Stockholm (the original)

Also lol the credit to Nerdleaks for finding public info like European pattens...

Wagram

eventually

I actually would argue that the story and characters (most anyways) are improved over the original. It still could be better, but I think some forgot how TR '13 truly is.

Anyways, I would wait for reviews on the PS4 version then. I trust Crystal, and I trust Nixxes, but I sure as shit don't trust Avalanche. Square really wants this series to crash and burn it seems.

It won't likely be a high-quality port, but let's be honest, by the time the PS4 version comes out few people will actually care anyway.

Proxy

Avalanche isn't an internal SE studio nor are they known for being a port house. So why would Square Enix get Avalanche to port a CD game when traditionally it's been handled by Nixxes?

Forgive me, is Rise of the Tomb Raider a huge open world game with planes, jets, tanks, and filled with huge oil and gas containers to blow up? Why are you guys so worried?

Top Bottom