• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers: Age of Ultron Trailer #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dash27

They could have had Pymm as a top AI scientist or whatever that was working with Tony. But either way that's fine.... but then why do Ant Man at all? Do Black Panther or someone cooler than Pymm. BP makes more sense if Ultron is made of Vibranium and you're removing Hank from the equation.

Anth1888

I know some comic book purists are pissed about changing Ultron's origin from Pym to Tony, but I think this version feels more natural. Introducing Pym (either in this movie or just before) just to make him responsible for creating the villain seems too contrived. It also kind of changes the group dynamic to where it's basically everyone on the Avengers hating Pym, instead of one of its founding members being responsible.

I agree and will probably set up Captain America 3 if Downey Jr signs on, plus hasn't Whedon already stated that the story is original and not influenced by the comic of the same name?

Dany

Banned
Instead of a tv show now it just looks like the rest of MCU movies.

Yes. That is one of the biggest revelations watching the trailer. I was not a fan of the cinematography and direction of Avengers 1. SO plain and simple for something that should have been epic. The whole movie was safe.

The trailer really seems to be departing from that and I really do hope the film does too.

I know some comic book purists are pissed about changing Ultron's origin from Pym to Tony, but I think this version feels more natural. Introducing Pym (either in this movie or just before) just to make him responsible for creating the villain seems too contrived. It also kind of changes the group dynamic to where it's basically everyone on the Avengers hating Pym, instead of one of its founding members being responsible.

I'm definitely fine with that reasoning as it's exactly what Feige said. It makes a lot more sense for the threat to come from the inside, if they had been ready to make the Ant-Man movie earlier and incorporate him into Avengers it would have worked, but it's contrived to suddenly introduce this new character who's an AI-designing master and then everything goes wrong.

However as Gameproff said, the official synopsis makes it seem like it was originally an Ant-Man idea from the 60s/70s and it got canned, and Tony later decides to revive it, making it his responsibility. I think that's a great compromise between the established 616 canon and the movie version. Ultron is a big part of Pym's character and I think it's a neat twist for him to think "maybe this is a bad idea" and then Tony goes and fucks it all up, as he is wont to do.

I agree and will probably set up Captain America 3 if Downey Jr signs on, plus hasn't Whedon already stated that the story is original and not influenced by the comic of the same name?

Age of Ultron was a shitty Bendis story with a pretty cool name so they used it. This movie seems a lot more inspired by the iconic Busiek arc "Ultron Unlimited", which was most recently adapted in the cartoon Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

spookyfish

You may kid, but Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver have TV special effects.

Yes, because the effects are final in the trailer.

The first Avengers trailer didn't even have Hulk present in the circular "Hero Shot," as his CG was more than likely not finished.

Alienous

Beyond that I just appreciate when the different scientists have different specialities. Pym is a geneticist, essentially. Stark as a roboticist makes sense. Reed Richards is a physicist (and chemist ... and biologist ...).

I can certainly see Ultron's comic origins changing in the future. Stark works better, especially now that he's a more popular character.

.GqueB.

Banned
It's a black woman in a yellow shirt. The hands are not "metal."

AuntJemimaLrg.jpg

Odd cameo.

So wait, Ultron wasn't that alien guy at the end of Avengers? Or was it Thor 2, I can't even remember

That was the Mad Titan, Thanos, who also appeared in Guardians of the Galaxy and is going to be the eventual "big bad" of this arc Whedon has created. The post-credits in Thor 2 featured The Collector who also appeared in GOTG.

Beyond that I just appreciate when the different scientists have different specialities. Pym is a geneticist, essentially. Stark as a roboticist makes sense. Reed Richards is a physicist (and chemist ... and biologist ...).

I can certainly see Ultron's comic origins changing in the future. Stark works better, especially now that he's a more popular character.

Eh, it doesn't work as well in the comics because Pym is an established AI genius in the books. Artificial life in the Marvel comics basically considers Hank Pym their messiah.

Tony is a mechanic, not an AI engineer. He can tinker and make cool machines/tech but he is not necessarily a genius when it comes to AI programming.

Alienous

Yes, because the effects are final in the trailer.

The first Avengers trailer didn't even have Hulk present in the circular "Hero Shot," as his CG was more than likely not finished.

Avengers' first trailer's CG was far behind the CG in this trailer. Clearly CG was a much higher priority early on. We have CG characters interacting with other CG characters, water and fighting eachother in daylight. A lot of CG. And shitty CG for Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch.

I have no doubts it'll improve in the seven months to come, though. But that won't stop me from mocking the Smallville VFX for those two characters.

They're dressed like TV series characters, too.

Why exactly is a robot such a threat to the Avengers? They already took down an alien army and an (alien) God. Hell, Tony took on drones in Iron Man 2

There's no way Whedon leaves out "Ultron, we would have words with thee", right?

Well Thor doesn't talk like that in the movies, but hopefully we get some variation on it.

Why exactly is a robot such a threat to the Avengers? They already took down an alien army and an (alien) God. Hell, Tony took on drones in Iron Man 2

Ultron has a genius-level intellect and can easily hack into the world governments' defense systems. And his goal isn't just to attack Tony or something. He is hellbent on exterminating humanity to insure peace on Earth.

His ultimate form, Ultron-5, is also practically indestructible (the chassis is created entirely out of solid vibranium, the same substance as Cap's shield). He is not just a drone, he is highly intelligent, cunning, ruthless, fucking CRAZY, and OP-level powerful.

With his drone army he can attack the Avengers head-on to keep them occupied while simultaneously killing thousands, if not millions, anywhere around the world. And since he is an AI he cannot be killed, he will simply find a new body.

Really surprised people don't realize tony and bruce are fighting in Africa, also the black woman in the yellow shirt is from then. I doubt Ultron is online at that point.

.GqueB.

Banned
Don't know if this is posted yet:

f0bef483-3236-4e8d-9b0c-df059360a08e-460x276.jpeg

So glad we got a proper Ironman suit. Don't know what that shit in IM3 was. The entire time I was waiting for the real one to show up.

I'd be lying if I said that didn't play a rather large part in why I didn't really like that movie.

Dash27

Why's he not in it? He's been teased in 2 movies now

Thanos alone is extremely powerful. Newly formed Ultron is a better fit for the power scale curve they're on.

Once you get to Infinity Gauntlet powered Thanos you've pegged the dial at maximum so it will likely take a while.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Well...

- He upgrades himself constantly, every time he loses a fight he just uploads his consciousness somewhere and rebuilds his body to be immune to whatever defeated him before.

- So because of the upgrades he builds himself out of Adamantium in the comics, presumably in the movies it will be Vibranium. Regardless of the x-ium it means he's essentially indestructible.

- He can build and control and army of drones.

- He can interface and transfer himself to any network interface. The body is just a shell, it's the core programming and AI that are the real threat and it's almost impossible to get of him permanently. Kill him near a starbucks and he's jumping on that free wifi and spreading over the internet.

I know this is a joke, but I was legit vex for a second.

Serkis as Pym yo

Serkis' character looks a lot like Klaw though, who is connected to Black Panther.

Maybe he helps (willingly or not) Ultron get his vibranium upgrade from Wakanda and that kicks off the events of the Black Panther solo flick.

Ithil

Introducing Wakanda as a concept in this film would be an ideal set-up for a Black Panther film. I don't think you can just introduce it out of the blue.

Got a bad feeling about Rhodey, who seems to be there for Ultron's first scene but never again in the movie...

I think we heard that it's just a cameo appearance with Rhodes but not War Machine.

Agent Tripplet from Agents of SHIELD is supposed to show up too.

So Thanos will basically wreck everyone's shit?

He does look cool

Yep Thanos is essentially the most powerful villainous being in the MCU. He is obsessed with Death (he's actually madly in love with her physical manifestation) and will kill entire planets to gain her favour.

I think the twins look pretty good. Not really sure how the effects on their powers are being judged. Doesn't really show more than. Few seconds of usage.

Please have a heavy tease for BP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom