• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avowed Extended Gameplay Breakdown with Obsidian | Official Xbox Podcast

Krieger

Not sure if you’re criticizing the concept or the execution. If it’s the former then I guess you’re not familiar with the races in the PoE series.

It seems to be a godlike and they are supposed to mix human and non-human characteristics such as skin tones or eyes.
I'm criticizing the way he looks. I don't care if there is a story related reason for why he looks that way. He is designed in an ugly way and you can't tell me that anybody wants to see such an ugly character as a character/quest giver.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It's nice to know you want cute guys in every game, but this isn't really the focus for obsidian in this game. If you want sexy male characters maybe capcom games are more your bag

I don't know about you but I'm not taking any quests unless it's from her. EXP or progression be damned.

dc2954c70bcde28f23ab19a72cba1828.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure if you’re criticizing the concept or the execution. If it’s the former then I guess you’re not familiar with the races in the PoE series.

It seems to be a godlike and they are supposed to mix human and non-human characteristics such as skin tones or eyes.

Massive oof if that's meant to be a godlike

Raonak

Banned
I'm criticizing the way he looks. I don't care if there is a story related reason for why he looks that way. He is designed in an ugly way and you can't tell me that anybody wants to see such an ugly character as a character/quest giver.

I think the game looks mid, but this might be the most stupid complaint about a game i've ever heard.

Chukhopops

I respect that but I completely disagree, fantasy should at least try to bring something other than Tolkien settings or Medieval Europe settings, both of which we’ve seen a million times.

There are way weirder designs like Death godlikes by the way.
Massive oof if that's meant to be a godlike
Seems clear to me considering the other NPC shown (the woman) has completely standard human eyes and skin. Doesn’t look like a Huana despite the skin marks.

Like I said the execution could be better (all NPCs really) but the concept is just straight from the lore.

Last edited:
I respect that but I completely disagree, fantasy should at least try to bring something other than Tolkien settings or Medieval Europe settings, both of which we’ve seen a million times.

There are way weirder designs like Death godlikes by the way.

Seems clear to me considering the other NPC shown (the woman) has completely standard human eyes and skin. Doesn’t look like a Huana despite the skin marks.

Like I said the execution could be better (all NPCs really) but the concept is just straight from the lore.

I know they're meant to be exotic but that just looks like a shitty looking human with fish teeth. Massive downgrade from PoE

Last edited:

DarthPutin

Looks really mid so far.

Why is everyone involved in the presentation so low energy?..

Some of the scenery is nice but lifeless, that can be improved though. Then you have some rather primitive models of enemies, monsters and other NPCs.

Is it me or hits on melee do not connect, it looks a bit like you're hitting the air above characters head and then blood flies in one direction as if it's not even a fluid? Very awkward.

Fantasy RPGs with exploration and choices are my jam, so hopefully they'll use more than half a year they have to improve how it looks (I am sure they will). If writing gets high praise I'll check this out. Maybe for the people familiar with the franchise it isn't necessary, but IMO they could've hooked us more by telling us intriguing story premise.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Looks really mid so far.

Why is everyone involved in the presentation so low energy?..

Some of the scenery is nice but lifeless, that can be improved though. Then you have some rather primitive models of enemies, monsters and other NPCs.

Is it me or hits on melee do not connect, it looks a bit like you're hitting the air above characters head and then blood flies in one direction as if it's not even a fluid? Very awkward.

Fantasy RPGs with exploration and choices are my jam, so hopefully they'll use more than half a year they have to improve how it looks (I am sure they will). If writing gets high praise I'll check this out. Maybe for the people familiar with the franchise it isn't necessary, but IMO they could've hooked us more by telling us intriguing story premise.
They talk about the basics of the story in the extended demo, near the end.

Moochi

Who thought this was ready to show? Might turn out great, who knows, but it's one of the worst showings from a major studio in a while. Remember Redfall? That looked a lot better than this. I did like the animation for potion drinking. I do like colorful coral. Everything else was not great. The awful blood spatter sprite. The weightless, three-hit animation of the sword. The perfectly square rock steps in the middle of the cave.

"Why are we fighting these guys? What's their story?"

"Uh, those are the bad guys. Well, they're not bad but they can't talk and you gotta kill them." **embarrassed awkward silence**

"Elemental system you can freeze, shock, burn, and uh, vine things!"

"Yeah but but but DOUBLE WANDS. Ever seen a guy just whip out two of those limber sticks and start flicking blue goop at lizardpeople?"

"Not since my Bar'Mitzvah!"

The gameplay looks so boring, like Harry Potter i first person. Enemies look like sponge boxes and their design is so bland. Nothing here makes me go "wow what an epic world".

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Not just you.

The combat looks ancient
right. it's like these guys are still stuck in the original Xbox / Morrowind-era gameplay.

i just saw him casting a spell, which is a blue funny looking dot/circle. that flew over to a walking lizard that wanted to be a dinosaur or something, then it fell dead but the blue light passed him as if he is a hologram or something.

at 8:09 exactly on the video.

very weird.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
On the other hand, there is so much stuff being generated, one could also say like, why bother with something that isn't great? There is not enough time on earth to play every 7/10 and above game.
This is indeed the biggest first-world problem for me right now 😄

After completing Jedi Survivor (which I enjoyed very much), I was contemplating what game to play next, and I tried Nier Replicant and Doom Eternal. Both good 7.5/10 games for me. But continuing with them means not playing a 10/10 Neon White or TLOU 2 No Return. So I ended up doing that.

There are too many great games and just not enough time to play them all. "Average" or even "reasonably good" games will be left behind.

Ozriel

M$FT
🤷‍♂️ People are blinded by their fanboyism, just to blame everyone else once reality sucker punches them

Reality is going to change the definition of AAA?

Family Feud Lol GIF by Steve Harvey

You really should go look that up.

It's Obsidian, mediocrity is what they've been shoveling since forever

Their last two games are rated 82% and 86% on MC. ‘Very Positive’ and ‘Overwhelmingly Positive’ on Steam.

only thing being shoveled up seems to be salt.

Ozriel

M$FT
right. it's like these guys are still stuck in the original Xbox / Morrowind-era gameplay.

i just saw him casting a spell, which is a blue funny looking dot/circle. that flew over to a walking lizard that wanted to be a dinosaur or something, then it fell dead but the blue light passed him as if he is a hologram or something.

at 8:09 exactly on the video.

very weird.

I’m not sure I liked the way the spells look either. Needs more visual flair and more…oomph, tbh.
But we’re being shown alpha gameplay, and there’s likely to be improvements prior to release. Still over half a year of polishing to be done. Hopefully they fix most of the rough spots.

This is indeed the biggest first-world problem for me right now 😄

After completing Jedi Survivor (which I enjoyed very much), I was contemplating what game to play next, and I tried Nier Replicant and Doom Eternal. Both good 7.5/10 games for me. But continuing with them means not playing a 10/10 Neon White or TLOU 2 No Return. So I ended up doing that.

There are too many great games and just not enough time to play them all. "Average" or even "reasonably good" games will be left behind.

I'm what 4chan calls a "storyfag" so I'll play games with interesting story/world/characters. Obsidian used to make those.

Then Microsoft bought them and now they're relegated to making normie games I guess.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Just watched the footage. Man, it's super boring, uninspired and basic combat-wise and it's probably 80% of what you'll be doing in the game in terms of gameplay, which is huge NO. I'll take turn-based combat and traditional CRPG design (BG3, POE1-2) instead of what they're doing here.

Last edited:
I'm what 4chan calls a "storyfag" so I'll play games with interesting story/world/characters. Obsidian used to make those.

Then Microsoft bought them and now they're relegated to making normie games I guess.

Under MS they made Pentiment.

Normie game? Not good enough story/characters for you?

Top Bottom