• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome cosplay despite reported hiccups at Los Angeles' Anime Expo

KSweeley

Getty Images actually sent a photographer to this year's Anime Expo convention in Los Angeles to take pictures of cosplayers, the photo gallery can be found in this news article: http://www.chron.com/entertainment/...-despite-few-reported-hiccups-at-11282763.php

Anime Expo 2017 took off during the July 1 weekend at the Los Angeles Convention Center. Prior to that, the facility was also the host of the Electronic Entertainment Expo.

There was some trouble getting in at the door, according to gaming blog Kotaku. Tight security at the facility meant big lines outside, and some impatient people getting feisty on social media.

Getty Images was on hand to take some spectacular photos of the event, including some far-out costume work from enthusiasts.

Here's the Kotaku story that this story mentions: https://kotaku.com/anime-expo-2017-is-this-weekend-and-the-line-to-get-in-1796579356

E3 was just a few weeks ago at the Los Angeles Convention Center. Open to the public for the first time this year, there were reports of people standing in line for hours just to demo games like Super Mario Odyssey. At this weekend’s Anime Expo 2017 being held at the same place, attendees are waiting in line for hours just to get in.

According to Comicbook.com, the line just to get into Anime Expo this year was apparently two miles long and a picture of the line was shown to be stretching all the way to "under the 110 Highway.": http://comicbook.com/anime/2017/07/03/getting-into-anime-expo-2017-was-an-actual-nightmare

NPihhU8.jpg

Over on Twitter, fans illustrated just how unbelievable the line had gotten to enter Anime Expo. Attendees, who relabeled the event Line Con 2017, were livid over the event’s lacking staff and unorganized queuing. For many fans, they wait five hours or more to simply pick up their badges to the event.

“LineCon 2017: AX gets too greedy, oversells passes and screws over its attendees,” Twitter user @momochiyooo posted with a stunning photo. The tweet was accompanied by a picture of the line for Anime Expo which went all the way under the 110 Highway. The line for the convention wrapped around the event center a couple times and stretched out even further. From start to finish, reports claiming the line wound for over two miles definitely seem believable.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
this isnt new for anime expo though. ive seen lines go back to the car dealerships

The problem with E3 really wasn't lines to get in. It was the lines and amount of people inside. The line was the same as always but newbies were lining up an 1 hour or more before they were even open, I just waited 10 - 15 min after they opened and strolled in.

- J - D -

Yup, it'll keep getting worse and I don't think they actually care since the organization that runs AX keeps touting how attendance is growing year after year without talk of capping attendance. I think the number this year was unique 107k attendees over the 4 day event. I looked around for max occupancy numbers for the con but couldn't find it. In terms of sheer volume I just don't see LACC being able to handle much more.

I had some friends in the badge pickup line that wasted at least a third of their day just in line. Getting a one-day badge is pretty much a waste of money, frankly.

KSweeley

Yup, it'll keep getting worse and I don't think they actually care since the organization that runs AX keeps touting how attendance is growing year after year without talk of capping attendance. I think the number this year was 107k attendees over the 4 day event. I looked around for max occupancy numbers for the con but couldn't find it. In terms of sheer volume I just don't see LACC being able to handle much more.

I had some friends in the badge pickup line that wasted at least third of their day just in line. Getting a one-day badge is pretty much a waste of money, frankly.

DAMN!!!! O.O

muteki

Guess after reports of security just waving people through without checking them at E3 got out, they actually tried screening people here.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Yet standing in line for Otakon during the humid summer is a 10 times multiplier for whatever time they spent in the sun.

Anime Expo just became too obnoxiously industry focused to care about it.

- J - D -

I haven't been to Anime Expo, so I should avoid attending Anime Expo if I don't want to stand for hours in a ridiculously long line just waiting to pick up my con badge?

Apparently starting next year they'll be mailing out general attendee badges.

Yea this year was crazy. I dunno what good karma I somehow built up, cause as soon as I parked my car, some nice randos liked my Bob Belcher costume and asked me to tag along. They happened to know someone inside that snuck us in through the back. I didn't even realize how insane the lines were till I checked social media once I was on the floor.

I haven't been to Anime Expo, so I should avoid attending Anime Expo if I don't want to stand for hours in a ridiculously long line just waiting to pick up my con badge?

the key is always to pick up your badge the day before the convention officially starts. this year was kind of different because of the japan kawaii live concert took place day 0, and ax had a preview night day 0. but picking up your badge early is always key to maximizing your time at convention.

the key is always to pick up your badge the day before the convention officially starts. this year was kind of different because of the japan kawaii live concert took place day 0, and ax had a preview night day 0. but picking up your badge early is always key to maximizing your time at convention.

I eventually want to go to one of these so I'll keep that tip in mind

Usually I miss the first day of cons so the line to pick up pre-reg badges isn't too bad. Now I know to have the badge mailed in other cases.

So glad I didn't have to stand there. The Day 0 and now Day -1 lines were great as I walked in and out in under 10 minutes with my badge on Day -1.

RedAssedApe

Banned
The problem with E3 really wasn't lines to get in. It was the lines and amount of people inside. The line was the same as always but newbies were lining up an 1 hour or more before they were even open, I just waited 10 - 15 min after they opened and strolled in.

Hasnt being part of "the rush" to get into an event at the start become some kind of thing? I swore I read that somewhere...haha

Top Bottom