• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome! Japanese robot football team to win World Cup by 2050!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burger

1001robotb.jpg

A Japanese consortium of robotics experts has thrown down the gauntlet to future players of the beautiful game by claiming their engineered humans will play mankind off the park within 45 years.

"By 2050, our aim is to beat the winners of football’s World Cup and we are very confident that we will be able to do that," said Shu Ishiguro, who heads Robot Laboratory in Osaka. "When we have accomplished that, we will have a society in which humans and artificial intelligence are completely in harmony."

Mr Ishiguro and his team are placing their faith in the offspring of VisiON.

Standing a mere 38cm tall and weighing just 2.4kg, VisiON would not be expected to trouble the defences of most professional football teams, but it has taken some vast strides in recent years.

http://news.scotsman.com/scitech.cfm?id=26542005

Now that is news! You could put spikes and lasers and shit on them to make a sport that isn't so boring to watch!

pkasho

Would this include them shoulder checking me? I think I would get hurt a lot more than the robots... cheap bastard robots :mad:

bionic77

If the robots have the required mobility they would always win because they would be able to think together and work as one. No human team could compete against that.

Stryder

Stele said:
I think it'll be better if robots were made to grow food for us.
They aren't just all about fun and games, they are also working on practical and beneficial uses for the robots, this is from the article:
While much of their energy is focused on football, robotics experts in Osaka are also busy developing more functional aides. Security robots come in the shape of dinosaurs and are programmed to stomp around offices; ankle-high vacuum cleaning robots are on the market already and Hospi is designed to make life easier for hospital staff by providing medical charts and taking X-rays.

Stryder

This is pretty interesting from the article also:
One area that researchers are not keen on tackling, however, is robot armies. "Down through human history, the weapon that has caused the most deaths has been the knife, so all technology has a risk, but what we do with this technology is up to human beings," Mr Ishiguro said. "I don’t think the idea of robot armies is a good one, but that’s not my decision."

He also dodges the question of a robot insurrection, a possibility that will not have escaped anyone in the industry after the release of the Will Smith film I, Robot.

"All these advanced technologies have an element of risk and we can warn of the dangerous aspects of robots in human society," Mr Ishiguro shrugs, "but cars, for example, successfully collaborate with humans and have been safely integrated into society.

Stele

Holds a little red book
How does Japan plan to fund this with an impending population (and thus, economic) contraction?

Burger

BigJonsson said:
Couldn't the robot kick the ball a lot harder than a human?

Hey there's an idea. Make the ball metal, and put spikes on that too.

Oh man I can't wait. Robots vs France...

Socreges

Banned
"All these advanced technologies have an element of risk and we can warn of the dangerous aspects of robots in human society," Mr Ishiguro shrugs, "but cars, for example, successfully collaborate with humans and have been safely integrated into society.
Yeah, not the same thing!

Burger said:
Now that is news! You could put spikes and lasers and shit on them to make a sport that isn't so boring to watch!
In that case, perhaps the money would be better spent in helping Americans get it.

explodet

Security robots come in the shape of dinosaurs and are programmed to stomp around offices
Yeah, I can see absolutely no way this can go wrong.
ABSOLUTELY NONE

As for soccer, I'd bet we'd see the coach studying the team and trying to find out exploits in the AI just like in an early Winning Eleven match.

NLB2

Banned
Stele said:
How does Japan plan to fund this with an impending population (and thus, economic) contraction?
Think about it...
With a robotic workforce.

I remember reading a newspaper article about the Japanese and their love for robots and the Prime Minister basically said that robots are important to the Japanese because they hate immigrants. :lol

Stele

Holds a little red book
NLB2 said:
Think about it...
With a robotic workforce.
Maybe if Japan could transform half their population into mineral deposits. I don't see Japan having fractionally as much clout in 2050 as they do now.

Terminator, anyone? I hope you guys didn't forget the movie. In, 2050, there's no telling how smart is AI gonna get. There's always evil scientist lurking in the shaow. :lol :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom