• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Erica, the 'most beautiful and intelligent' android, leads Japan's robot revolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaptruder

Banned
What the hell man, that's creepy as fuck too, you need to dial it back even more, i thought you'd suggest something like Drossel.

Which is barely one step down from the robots seen in the "I, Robot" movie, are aethetically pleasing, and frankly i find her prettier than your link or Erica.

I mean more in the sense of - if you must have a humanoid robot that's close to human representation... use a style of expression that's not human, but close enough and fairly recognizable.

Also, that style is simply pretty standard in japan for cartoon human like representation. Obviously they'd have to rethink the style for western markets - but that's not their primary area of focus right now.

Finally, if you don't need waifu bots, then like I said, the best case is probably something with cuter proportions.

injurai

Banned
Which is barely one step down from the robots seen in the "I, Robot" movie, are aethetically pleasing, and frankly i find her prettier than your link or Erica.

But you still end up suggesting a robot with child bearing hips.

If anything I think we should be trying to design robotic pets first.

PSqueak

Banned
But you still end up suggesting a robot with child bearing hips.

If anything I think we should be trying to design robotic pets first.

We are in a thread about a robot described as "the most beautiful" despite being terrifying, it's obvious that the person designing these robots are aiming for captivating looks, trying to give them human faces so far is terrifying, so curvy proportions would be a way to make them attractive (their goal, not mine) rather than trying (and failing) at making them look human.

Besides, you can always get the non hippy model.

l1HaTvp.jpg

I feel like the whole "robot revolution" is another thing we used to regard as inevitable that will likely be disregarded in favor of an easier solution.

Creating AI that can provide satisfying human interaction is already incredibly difficult, but when you try to bring that to a robot like this you're adding in all the difficulties of making a machine that can look and move like a human enough to be believable, which includes replicating extremely subtle nonverbal communication. The kind of engineering that would have to go into that makes any widespread adoption of humanoid robots kind of far fetched.

It's far more likely that we'll go the route of having, for the vast majority of situations, AIs that don't have a physical presence, but are perceived through some kind of augmented reality solution, which negates a lot of that difficulty and cost that goes into mass producing such a complex device.

injurai

Banned
I feel like the whole "robot revolution" is another thing we used to regard as inevitable that will likely be disregarded in favor of an easier solution.

Creating AI that can provide satisfying human interaction is already incredibly difficult, but when you try to bring that to a robot like this you're adding in all the difficulties of making a machine that can look and move like a human enough to be believable, which includes replicating extremely subtle nonverbal communication. The kind of engineering that would have to go into that makes any widespread adoption of humanoid robots kind of far fetched.

It's far more likely that we'll go the route of having, for the vast majority of situations, AIs that don't have a physical presence, but are perceived through some kind of augmented reality solution, which negates a lot of that difficulty and cost that goes into mass producing such a complex device.

Yeah, this is almost all true. The sex robot market will lead in creating a cheap simulacrum for people to get their kicks off to.

Any deeper effort will be helmed by big computing, or the military industrial complex. But these things won't amalgamate into something like we see in Ex Machina.

KDR_11k

Eh, Japan's sex dolls (sorry, "prosthetic girlfriends") look better than that (NSFW obviously but who's working on New Year's Day?).

I've never heard of anyone in Japan making "prosthetic boy friends" though.

jett

D-Member
I feel like these humanoid robots Japan keeps showing are all some variant of crap. I don't understand in which way, shape or form is this thing supposed to be impressive.

Meffer

They probably have an easier time making robots look like robots but be human. It's easier for people to accept that because of the uncanny valley.

The birth rate of first world countries will drop like a fucking rock as soon as something like these things become affordable and socially acceptable.

Yup. Productivity and probably even personal hygiene will fall as well since there's no drive to impress the opposite sex. When that finally happens political and religious leaders will start speaking out against it. I would imagine we'll get PSAs from the government and probably even the Space Pope.

Long term I think the ethics question is moot. Robots & humans are destined to converge. Distribution of power, as an ethical question, is not created alongside robots.

Foffy

Banned
I thought we were one step closer to 3D printed Lucy Liu bots...

Well, 3D printing has made huge advancements in the last few months. We can't say that much on the looks of this uncanny valley robot.

Erica looks like a wax figure at a museum or in Hollywood. I don't talk to wax figures..

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Thanks! You guys are on top of it! I think I saw that she is going to be in some new movie, too. Good for to springboard from commercials to movie stardom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom