• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chappelle criticizes Clinton and LGBT activists, defends Trump's sexual assault

Status
Not open for further replies.

zelas

I dont understand why so many comedians are so insistent about being able to say whatever they can no matter what. That everything is ok for comedy.

Are people here seriously mad a Dave Chapelle the Comedian doing a comedy routine?
Im confused as to how anyone can think he is being serious and shit.

“They should not be having that conversation in front of black people. You go ahead and feel something about your rights. But if you’re putting sexism and homophobia and transphobia in front of racism, you should be ashamed of yourself."

Which part is the setup and which part is the punchline?

Oppo

“They should not be having that conversation in front of black people. You go ahead and feel something about your rights. But if you’re putting sexism and homophobia and transphobia in front of racism, you should be ashamed of yourself."

Which part is the setup and which part is the punchline?

i might be walking the plank here...

I think what Chapelle is alluding to is the fact that non-binary people have not been historically enslaved, on an "institutional" level.

now, you could easily argue that people expressing themselves sexually might get themselves outright killed, at certain points in history, and that would be true.

The point is moot though. the comparison is daft because this isn't a suffer-off.

I dont understand why so many comedians are so insistent about being able to say whatever they can no matter what. That everything is ok for comedy.
Because it is? What are they gonna do? Send them back to the little comedy club they work their material out at anyway?

From this gay activist, come out and actually do something for the community instead of holding up with your increasingly crazy selfishness.

Jokes or not, you're not DOING anything.

Air

Banned
You're absolutely right, change is not an overnight thing. But I think for someone who is working within such a public space, on a platform that has the potential to influence other people, that maybe they should be held to different standard than your average transphobic grandad. They should be making an effort to change quicker, when certain jokes become undeniably socially unacceptable and harmful, that's usually a sign to shift things up a bit. He's clearly capable of it like you said

Just saw this and yeah I can understand that pov. Also just so we're clear, I'm not saying people can't call him out, just that in this specific context the ability to do so is a bit hampered. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if he eases up in those jokes a bit in the future- at least, I hope that's the case.

The Kree

Banned

That's pretty much what they should be doing.

The problem is that Dave's angle on these subjects doesn't work. If he wants to provide some kind of reasonable meta commentary on present day civil rights activism in his humor, he better keep working on it or else he's just gonna come off like an asshole.

Ponn

Banned

I think what Chapelle is alluding to is the fact that non-binary people have not been historically enslaved, on an "institutional" level.

now, you could easily argue that people expressing themselves sexually might get themselves outright killed, at certain points in history, and that would be true.

The point is moot though. the comparison is daft because this isn't a suffer-off.

But isn't it a HILARIOUS joke?? Hahahahaha...i'm busting a gut laughing here.

Alienfan

Just saw this and yeah I can understand that pov. Also just so we're clear, I'm not saying people can't call him out, just that in this specific context the ability to do so is a bit hampered. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if he eases up in those jokes a bit in the future- at least, I hope that's the case.

Yeah I agree about not treating these particular quotes as 100℅ fact, I was more speaking to previous things he has been recorded saying. I hope he eases up too, he's incredibly talented, I personally loved his blind white supremacist skit. He just sometimes goes too far (he's even admitted it himself), whether or not he intends to I don't think really matters, he seems to ignore what the meaning of the words/phrases he uses carry and inappropriately uses them in a comedic context that makes fun of the minorities these ideas are used on rather than the bigots that impose them. He really needs an editor or someone to tell him, hey maybe don't say this.

Amikami

Banned
It's hard to tell how serious he's being. I'll be the first to say that some jokes are just worthy of back lash. Hey Chapelle, what if you're a black lesbian woman. This is the sort of thing that fucks up mankind. Everyone's in it for themselves. Just because Chapelle isn't affected by sexism and sexual identity phobias, he doesn't understand why people wouldn't want to fight against it.

There's ballsy jokes that don't hit the mark, crude jokes, dark jokes, and then there's just ignorant jokes. Delivery makes a difference and maybe it sounds better it reads.

Alienfan

I get what you're saying, what are appropriate types of sex have varied drastically through out history, where as racism has pretty much been white > everything else for centuries. But I don't think that really matters though, because sexuality sure is institutionalised now and has been for over a century. But yeah, I agree, the whole "we have it worse" argument seems kind of frivolous because both racial and sexual forms of oppression are equally worth addressing.

The racism over sexism joke was pretty rough, but the rest of the comments really do just sound like intentionally offensive jokes.

Don't think I would say he's "defending" Trump's comments either because he specifically says they were gross, and again, it's comedy. Plus he voted for Hillary.

I couldn't tell from the article what exactly he thinks about the transgender bathroom situation. I think he's in support of it from the way it's written, but "chick with a dick" makes that sound not the case.

Regardless, people certainly have the right to be turned off from this comedy. If he actually believed it, I'd be disappointed.

A comedian who decided his "jokes" need to be about the LGBT who are treated like shit enough already.

Yep. There's hypocrisy in that. One can't be for equal rights for blacks and then turn around and belittle another marginalized group.

I've seen his stand-up twice, and both times it was mostly made up on aimless babbling and little to no actual humor. I hate to say it, but to me he really seems like he is washed up.

d00d3n

It is jokes, people. Chapelle is a legendary comedian who doesn't settle for flogging dead horses. Maybe a bit irresponsible considering the timing, but he has absolute immunity from accusations of racism/sexism/trumpism imo. It is ridiculous and petty to accuse him of that.

RedHill

Banned
It is jokes, people. Chapelle is a legendary comedian who doesn't settle for flogging dead horses. Maybe a bit irresponsible considering the timing, but he has absolute immunity from accusations of racism/sexism/trumpism imo. It is ridiculous and petty to accuse him of that.
I read this as satirical, please tell me it is

Is he legendary? What has he done besides hire great writers for a sketch comedy show and has basically coasted off of those writers for over a decade.

Nobody is immune. In fact, thinking anybody is immune, including ourselves, is what gets us into these kinds of dumb ideological/societal problems to begin with. Chapelle wouldn't be the first idol that totally bombs from grace.

I'm not sure you have the best grasp of the meaning of the word 'petty.'

Is he legendary? What has he done besides hire great writers for a sketch comedy show and has basically coasted off of those writers for over a decade.

Lol I can't believe you are trying to downplay his contibutions to the show. He was one of the main writers. Also to the people saying he is washed up if his show came back today everybody would watch it. I don't know if it would be good but people would watch it.

I'd say so:

Critics recognize the similarities between Chappelle's comedy and that of comedian Richard Pryor during the 1970s. Pryor's wife spoke for her ailing husband on 60 Minutes, saying that Pryor approves of Chappelle's work and has "passed the torch" to him. Chappelle's respect for Pryor showed in his response: "That's a lot of pressure. He was the best, man. For him to say that is, you know, that's something, I don't even know if I'll attempt to live up to that."

Also ironically the idea he wasn't responsible for the ideas on the show is one of the things that got to him and contributed to his leaving the show. Head writer Neal Brennan said a producer once came up to them on set and motioned towards Brennan saying "here's the brains" and to Chappelle "and the talent". I don't think Dave handled his exit the best and clearly hurt a lot of his relationships in the process, but he was dealing with some shitty network political fuckery he didn't want to be around.

Lol I can't believe you are trying to downplay his contibutions to the show. He was one of the main writers. Also to the people saying he is washed up if his show came back today everybody would watch it. I don't know if it would be good but people would watch it.

I've seen him twice and both shows were among the worst stand up I have ever seen. He charged an absurdly high price and then just rambled for an hour each time, with little to nothing in the way of actual jokes.

I have seen fucking Chris Kattan do a better set.

Tetra-9

The thing is that many comics,like Dave, all admit that this sort of stuff may not be their best material. Jokes bomb all the time, and that is part of the refining process. These people are artists perfecting their craft. They don't have to be right 100% of the time.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Some of these comments seem like just jokes.. and others not so much. The nonsense concerning LGBT people in particular seemed more: "This is my real opinion." and not "This is for a laugh."

I've seen him twice and both shows were among the worst stand up I have ever seen. He charged an absurdly high price and then just rambled for an hour each time, with little to nothing in the way of actual jokes.

I have seen fucking Chris Kattan do a better set.
So you had a bad set and now you're trying to deny his chops in the comedic world?

Sheroking

He singularly wrote and performed the best stand-up album of the century and maybe a top-5 album ever?

He's the best living comedian, which is why I'm hoping he's playing to the extreme here and being taken all-together too seriously. It wouldn't be the first time a comedian was being taken seriously when they were inhabiting a persona or being all-together facetious.

I love Dave Chappelle as a comic, I love his work, loved his show.
That is Chappele the comedian, love him.

But his political opinions are garbage. He admitted in the past that he doesn't vote.

So he now trying to be "edgey" with his comments of weighing discrimination versus other forms of discrimination without realizing that you can fight all forms of discrimination at the same time.

He wasn't even going to vote anyway. Little does he realize that Weed is going to be on the ballot on some states

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom