• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chappelle criticizes Clinton and LGBT activists, defends Trump's sexual assault

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetra-9

He singularly wrote and performed the best stand-up album of the century and maybe a top-5 album ever?

He's the best living comedian, which is why I'm hoping he's playing to the extreme here and being taken all-together too seriously. Chappelle's world-views from 10-15 years ago do not mesh with these world-views now.

I agreed with this even though Chappelle isn't my fav. He's still legendary on the stand-up front and even crossed over to become legendary in sketch comedy. That's fucking impressive.

Some people have shit-talked him when it comes to his past comedy bits, but almost never acknowledge that even comics tend to come around to a more progressive stance. People grow and change. For better or worse.

Sheroking

Comedy isn't just saying random words, bro.

Neither is it a TedTalk.

Recently we've had a lot of comedians get "into trouble" with acts that were not all-together serious. Chappelle's comedy is often absurdist and exaggerated. As we saw on the last page:

He's not at all a Trump supporter and voted for Hillary Clinton.

You all might remember my thread I made after having seen Chappelle live doing transphobic material. I saw it with my own eyes, and found sources where people corroborated it.

He has been living on that farm in Ohio too long, man.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1201604

Ah yeah, that's the thread that informed my beliefs that at the very least, Chappelle's trans humor is hateful. I'd make a good faith assumption that it was just a matter of "just a joke," but ultimately, stuff like this:

But the truth is that Chappelle’s set was riddled with transphobia, homophobia, and a bit about the Ray Rice incident that changed the energy in the room in a tangible way. He talked about seeing a drunk “transvestite” at a party, mocked her, and complained about having his pronouns corrected when he referred to her as “he”. He maintained that he should be able to use whatever pronouns he wanted. He called her a man in a dress. This bit was not really a joke, just a strange, awkward story, but people laughed. It was pure, absolute, unabashed transphobia, and it broke my fucking heart.

Makes me think poorly of Chappelle, being a man who took umbrage with the direction his show was going, to where the humor began being at the expense of black people.

Amazing. "He is a comedian so he is immune from being a bigot."

It wouldn't be the first time someone has unironically said that.

This.

People are trying to hard to spin things nowadays to get a reaction.

This is one of several instances of problematic trans jokes by Chappelle, so people are rightfully critical of him. I could understand if this was a first-time thing, or understand "it may not be as bad as it sounds," but people aren't taking this perception from nothing.

televator

The minority rights things... are just ugly things to say. Not comedy material at all. Defending Trump's words is completeley stupid and again not funny.

Derwind

Comedian angers ultra liberal pc douchebags. News at 11!

I can never understand the knee-jerk outrage at criticism to idolized figures?

Is everyone just required not to post on GAF unless otherwise stating there undying support to the prominent figure of the week?

And yes I agree whatever side of the political aisle this is something everyone can be susceptible to. Let's just make that clear.

But what's the end game, what is the particular form or package criticism should be delivered or is it just something completely off limits?

Personally, I believe everyone should be free to criticize whatever they feel like so long as they can back it up.

So I ask you, how or what would criticism of Dave Chappelle or any public figure (if it can ever be considered valid) look like to you? Or is there ever a case to be had that you might agree with and if so where is that line?

Feel free to respond because I'm genuinely curious and it might help understand similar reactions I've seem in this and other topics.

I don't like that he rated one oppression as more important than the others. That's fucked up Dave. If a gay man wants equality, let him fight for it wherever the fuck he feels it necessary to do so. Otherwise you're no different than those 'all lives matter' hacks.

Yeah, that's nonsense. Especially for people who suffer multiple types of oppression - are they expected to decide which of their rights is most important to them?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Another case in a long line of series as to why people in the day and age of widespread digital information shouldn't consult their respective actor/singer/comedian/youtuber/whatever for political insight or discourse.

Could've sworn my eyes caught the sight of a Lil Wayne related thread w.r.t. current political/social issues...

In the words of the man himself:
Pleasehelpmejarule

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Sounds like a hit piece. Looking forward to Dave's SNL appearance as well as his thoughts on this in the coming days.

Sounds pretty much in line with Chappelle, if you've listened to his sets. Seems to me people have built him up to something he's never been, and now are getting outraged because their fantasy didn't live up to reality.

BBboy20

2V67kGw.gif

Like the last Dave thread, I'm not going to take a stand up set out of context.

Edit: as a bit of context, my cousin is an ultra left wing feminist comedian, and she considers Dave one of her best friends and mentors (they often work together). I'm sure any jokes he made were tryout material, and he'll take the bits with the best audience reaction to his national set. There's a reason he abhors people taping his house shows. Edgy comedy is inherently experimental.

dramatis

Edit: as a bit of context, my cousin is an ultra left wing feminist comedian, and she considers Dave one of her best friends and mentors (they often work together). I'm sure any jokes he made were tryout material, and he'll take the bits with the best audience reaction to his national set. There's a reason he abhors people taping his house shows. Edgy comedy is inherently experimental.
Isn't this the equivalent of saying "his best friend is black!" except to say his best friend is all of the things he maligned, so he can get a pass?

black_13

Banned
I'm 100% with what he says. The audio was a prepared strike that they had in their belts since the beginning of the election, knowing that and withholding it for political benefit is foul.

I'm also concerned with how everything Clinton is buried under a rug just because Trump is nut job.

Going by GAF, Clinton is an angel and has never done anything wrong.

And of course she or her associates had a hand in leaking that tape. Are people that stupid to connect two and two together? Winning an election is like playing poker. You play your hands right and timing is everything.

Beefy

Like how some people think that him jokingly saying he supports Trump, is the only thing people are calling him out on.

FiggyCal

Banned
The minority rights things... are just ugly things to say. Not comedy material at all. Defending Trump's words is completeley stupid and again not funny.

I guess Joe Rogan, Bill Burr and Dave Chappelle -- all very funny people -- all disagree with you.

DedValve

Banned
Going by GAF, Clinton is an angel and has never done anything wrong.

And of course she or her associ
ates had a hand in leaking that tape. Are people that stupid to connect two and two together? Winning an election is like playing poker. You play your hands right and timing is everything.

Where are you reading this because I'm reading a massive range from she's literally only slightly better than Trump to she will be the best president of our time and plenty in between.

doing a quick google search on both Jared Kushner and the Oberver itself....I'm gonna take this with a pretty good amount of salt

edit: seems like more than just the oberver is reporting about it, I take back what I said....thouhg would really like to listen to some audio of it at least.

EDIT 2: it seems other sources are using the "Observer" as their source, if true then I go back to my original statement

Diablos

He still voted for Hillary at least. Honestly, I'm not surprised he feels this way given his personality and how he thinks about things.

I mean I generally love his comedy but let's not pretend there wasn't a bunch of homophobic shit in some of his previous stuff.

The stuff he's saying about LGBTQ vs racism doesn't really sound like a joke to me. Unless it's missing context from a surrounding joke or punch line we're missing. Otherwise, it's just straight up garbage.

Comedy is inherently socio-political in nature. You try to wrap an absolute shit opinion in a joke and you're trying to dress up something that is rotten.

I actually thought it was going to be about how those other groups use black civil rights as a springboard for their own ends while treating the black members of their groups like shit. I didn't think he go so far on it though.
That's the first thing that popped up in my mind.

Keri

The political stuff, I don't really care about and can forgive as just experimental comedy. But to say that sexism (and other issues) takes a back seat to racism, yeah, I'm out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom