• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Axios] Xbox content and services revenue grew by 0.7%, missing Nadella's target of 4.4% for 2023

SenkiDala

why can’t we demand more from Xbox? I miss the days of the Xbox OG & early 360 when they were putting out great games which brought people into the ecosystem
Exactly, it is the Xbox I loved, building studios, making great games, yes thinking about money (that's the point of any business) but doing it WELL, fairly, smartly, really listening to gamers. Not just PR shit, lies, broken promises.

Frustrated World Cup GIF

Anyone surprised by this? The Xbox gaming division has been failing for years now and I can’t see things changing anytime soon. I wonder how much longer they can keep missing targets.

IMO they just don't have the games to justify increasing the price of gamepass. Nor do they have enough new content, when mine runs out I will probably drop it having had a good first year and lacklustre second.

There is so much they could do but they don't seem to get how to make good on either subscription or traditional models.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

It’s being downgraded before your very eyes and you don’t even notice it. We already had a bunch of known Twitter fanboys crying MS is lowering their focus on the console experience. If losing last gen by a landslide was bad, because it was the worst generation to lose, how do you think it will affect them going into next gen after losing this one even harder.

LOL. what a reference it is twitter. 😂
On Twitter the opposite is also said and until recently it was said that MS wanted to end PlayStation and create a monopoly on consoles, which will make all games except COD exclusive...
Then it's what Twitter narrative you want to embrace.
With no Xbox pro in the cards and a price bump that is only going to help with with you losses, you gotta have a lot of faith to think there will be no adaptation from a company that only cares about growing and that growth is coming outside their own console. A barrage of mediocre games isn’t going to help them, and they have nothing in the pipeline that will generate as much interest as Starfield.

LoL, I don't think it's going to be worse than spending 4 years without games like XBO did and still sold more than 50 million in the most catastrophic situation.

That MS only releases and will release "mediocre games" is the narrative that replaces "Xbox has no games" 😂

PS. Whether MS does not have an XSeries Pro ready remains to be seen. Of course I wouldn't even rule out intergenerational consoles.
They won’t drop their own console, but they might turn it into the “best way to play Xbox games and GP” type of machine while starting to release their games across all platforms.
Well, at least that Is a step forward compared to "in 2027 MS is going to stop manufacturing consoles"...

If you think that MS is going to support a console that will not have exclusives compared to PS, it's funny. Especially when until a few days ago you criticized and censored MS's emails according to which it wanted to make everything exclusive for its console. Because a 2trillon company Is as rich that can afford lose money to gain market share and it was necessary to prevent it from continuing to buy Studios and publishers.
What has changed?😂

We will see, the outlook doesn’t look great for Xbox console as Xbox fans know it. If things don’t dramatically change, Xbox Series will end the generation with a smaller userbase than the last. And that makes no sense when you are producing so many games.
2027 right?

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
When you say console hardware do you mean an actual console that plays games locally or do you mean stripped down streaming only 'thin client like' hardware? Because I can certainly see the latter being their end game

Edit: and I'm sure they would LOVE gamepass to be on PlayStation and Nintendo consoles

Yeah only if they kill the Xbox hardware line. Then maybe this happens.

kebaldo

Oh wow. Helldivers 2. What else is there coming? Fairgame? Concord? Wolverine? Is that it?
That's actually the beauty of the Ps situation all the big boys (except Insomaniac with Wolverine) are ready to fire, in the nex 2/3 years is not hard to think of new games from Sucker P, ND, SM...
Xbox as always is in the "maybe one day the thing we announced 2/3 years ago will come out" lol

Returning to the main topic: I think all the moves MS is making are all in the direction of them abandoning the classic console market and switching to be a sort of publisher/Stadia thing that can be accessed on other consoles, computers ora tv. i think they will love to leave the hardware space and transition to a pure services model.

Darsxx82

Keep coping that’s all I have to say to you. You think Xbox One was a show of strength somehow, and now it had no games even though people like you spent a lot of time on the no games console.
I have listened to what you are saying and I have only concluded that you change your criteria according to what suits your narrative.

Ah!! Of course, now it turns out that it was Xbox users who invented "Xbox doesn't have games"😂😂😂

The XBO generation may was not to a demonstration of strength in the sense of console sales success, but it is a demonstration of the power of the XBOX console brand when despite 1000 errors, despite a por first party catalog and exclusives and sharing day one releases on PC... the console was able to sell more than 50 million and be the most profitable Xbox generation in its history.

That is to say, I am not going to play at being a fortune teller, but ensuring that XSeries is going to sell less than XBO is wishful question on your part.

That said, whether it is 40 million or 60 million (in the leaked docs MS estimates 56 million by 2028), it is enough of a base of users and income for MS not to want to lose them meanwhile preparing a new generation where all will start from 0 but already all your Studios infrastructure running at full capacity and thinking about that new hardware.

Or what is the same, you have to be clever to think that:
1- MS is going to without its console in the short or medium term or even stop making exclusives for it when there are 5 years left in the generation.
2- MS is not going to try another opportunity and take advantage of its current situation with the number of Studios at its side for a launch of XBOX Next (or whatever it is called) with launch exclusives from its 50+ Studios.

The fact is that a few days ago this is what you said as the reason for the regulators not to allow the purchase of editors from MS... and suddenly it's the complete opposite? 🤔🙃

Sales are going down compared to Xbox One, and this time with plenty of games it seems. Yeah seems great.
There was a time when thinking that a catalog of exclusive games sold consoles was thinking logically...... Suddenly the games don't matter and MS won't even be able to match the sales of XBO with that estrategie.

The narratives....🤗

midnightAI

Yeah only if they kill the Xbox hardware line. Then maybe this happens.
Like I said, I think their ultimate aim is to maybe have simple streaming hardware so they won't quit hardware completely. Then have Xbox in as many places as possible, whether that is consoles, PC, integrated into TV's or whatever, they won't care. Do you think that they make much, if anything, from XBox hardware as it stands? It's a means to an end... Xbox subscriptions.

Last edited:
Huge corporations like Microsoft are not averse to making catastrophic strategic mistakes.

When Gamepass launched anyone questioning the long-term commercial viability of the service was brushed aside, accused of sour grapes, stuck in the past, and so on. Gaming is fundamentally different to Music, TV, Film in that it's not only time consuming, it's an interactive medium requiring your full attention. For most people they can only support a couple of games on the go, purchasing maybe half-a-dozen titles a year.

Gamepass is increasingly being used as an extended demo service, which is of limited use once the novelty of hundreds of games at your finger tips fades away. For price sensitive gamers it often makes more sense to purchase the odd game (physical can be traded in, or wait for a sale on digital), rather than being tied to a subscription for years on end.

The fundamental problem is Gamepass is targeting casual gamers, but casual gamers are just that, casual. They don't need access to such an extensive library. I've no doubt Microsoft will make a strategic change and become a third party publisher. It makes sense to support all platforms while still offering Gamepass to those consumers who want it on their own platform.

I haven't been saying this statement as a matter of fact but this is how I always looked at things and why I had trouble believing a sub service could work in gaming. Don't get me wrong I wasn't flat out saying it wont work but I had my doubts about it.

yeah, it’s like fine yes Sony needs competition but that doesn’t mean Xbox shouldn’t be BETTER competition than they have been

why can’t we demand more from Xbox? I miss the days of the Xbox OG & early 360 when they were putting out great games which brought people into the ecosystem
Couldn't have said it better. 360 got me back into console gaming and away from PC gaming I loved my 360. Then the infamous E3 happened and I was to poor to not be able to sell my games back even when they took it back it was to late I couldn't trust them anymore.

The funniest part is I got a much better job soon after getting my PS4 and went all digital and never looked back.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
People think we're throwing shit at MS for no reason, but people forget that 3-4 years ago, people said Sony was going to be in trouble if they didn't adapt the Game Pass model (day one releses). We can see why it's not a good idea.

It's going to get even harder to reach their goals. If Netflix can struggle with a lot of casual content then it's going to be harder for GP.
True. And this problem will keep growing until we start getting meaningful metrics that actually mean something: cost of content, cost per subscriber, retention rate, revenue pers subscriber, etc.

Who remembers the time a few years ago and when gamepass was going to totally dominate and Sony were in trouble If they Dont follow suit? Remember all those paid articles?

Fast forward to now and instead PS5 has a bigger lead than the PS4 did in the same timeftame and they just released a critically acclaimed game which is the fastest selling in their history. Its the same old story over and over. How can anyone still fall for microsofts bullshit? Nothing will ever change for them because they don't know what they're doing. Throwing money around wont do anything. People thought all those Studios and Bethesda would change things but it did nothing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom