• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baby Driver (dir. Edgar Wright) |OT| All You Need Is One Killer Track

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
We are spoiler tagging? Blah

Loved the movie but my only complaint was how unrealistic the ending was. Guy gets shot like 4 times and seems to be just fine. Plus he somehow gets away from dozens of cops on foot when he's basically surrounded?? I'm willing to suspend disbelief but come on? It was a little hard to swallow.

Ekai

Easily tied with Get Out and A Cure For Wellness as my best film of the year. Easily the funnest one anyway.

Went to see this yesterday and was very pleased all around. The acting was good, the story was solid, the cinematography and editing were on point (expected with Edgar Wright), and the soundtrack and the way it was synced to the movie (especially bullets) was amazing.

Since the start I wasn't a big fan of the title, and since I've watched it and talked to my friends about it they do seem to balk at it. But if the title is the only real gripe I had it did a very good job doing what it did.

Was pleasantly surprised to see Spacey turn friendly at the end. I thought he went out in a good way. And Hamm was just a beast.

A treat all around, just like any Wright movie. He still hasn't topped Hot Fuzz, but this is a great film.

I got totally mixed opinions on this film. The aspect we were all in it for is as good as expected, but somewhere in the middle of the film the pace dropped so hard I literally forgot it was all cut to a track.

The two main villains from Baby's perspective were better than I'd have expected for sure. But then the romance just did nothing for me but kill the pacing.

So pleased, positively surprised and a little let down all at once.

Media

I freaking adored this movie. It was made for people like me who are obsessed about music and beat. Also, no one seems to understand that the title is also a song? The last one that played in the film? I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Baby Driver by Simon and Garfunkel is what inspired him to write the film.

I wish I loved this movie as much as a lot of people seem to. Can't quite put my finger on it, it was enjoyable but it didn't really stick for me.

When is the movie supposed to take place btw? The old timey cell phones and ipods make me think around 2003-2005?

Current day. They used flip phones (old timey cell phones) as burners so they couldn't be traced. Baby has tons of ipods to hold all his music and has a special affinity for the device because his mom bought him his first one.

Whompa02

I enjoyed it but I have a feeling that's about as far as I'm going to be with it.

I don't think ill LOVE IT or want to own it or see it a second time. Just a decent movie with some laughs and an interesting cast of characters.

Nothing really stood out to me. Edgar Wright's other films definitely have more of a memorable aspect/uniqueness to them.

Dishwalla

Banned
When is the movie supposed to take place btw? The old timey cell phones and ipods make me think around 2003-2005?

Among all the old click wheel iPods on his desk is a newer iPod Nano. Also the fact that several of the cars, notably the Taurus that Baby crushes and the Challenger, are from within the last five-ish years.

Among all the old click wheel iPods on his desk is a newer iPod Nano. Also the fact that several of the cars, notably the Taurus that Baby crushes and the Challenger, are from within the last five-ish years.

Also Debora has an iPhone 6 or something when she's waiting for Baby at 2am.

Hey, does anyone know what glasses Baby was wearing in both scenes waiting outside the post office?

Hella good movie. I was really surprised by the amount of children at my session though. Was worried I walked into Cars 3 or something at first.

Fevaweva

Never have I tried so hard to enjoy a film than when I watched Baby Driver.

The acting was good, I liked the cast, it was well made but I just found the action and the script so flaccid apart from a couple of parts.

One of the most disappointing films I have seen this year.

Just came back from it. The action was cool but outside of that, I wasn't feeling it too much. Jamie Foxx was cool and it's always fun to see Kevin Spacey. Everyone else though, not really.

Also how lightly he got off at the end was beyond preposterous.

Mobius 1

Current day. They used flip phones (old timey cell phones) as burners so they couldn't be traced. Baby has tons of ipods to hold all his music and has a special affinity for the device because his mom bought him his first one.

In the beginning of the movie I was thrown off because of only seeing flip phones, and Baby driving a 2006-2007 WRX.

hydruxo

Just came back from it. The action was cool but outside of that, I wasn't feeling it too much. Jamie Foxx was cool and it's always fun to see Kevin Spacey. Everyone else though, not really.

Also how lightly he got off at the end was beyond preposterous.

You didn't like Jon Hamm at least? I thought he was one of the best parts of the movie

You didn't like Jon Hamm at least? I thought he was one of the best parts of the movie

I liked him but I feel like he didn't represent either extreme very well. He kind of seemed like as alright dude that happens to be a criminal. His antagonist role at the end didn't really land all that well imo. Jamie Foxx on the other hand worked a lot better. I can barely recall any standout moments from Hamm's performance.

I was also disappointed that John Bernthal was in the movie for all of 5 minutes. Would have rather seem him in the final act.

WriterGK

I think a lot of people on GAF are more really critics then audience, even if you compare it to the likes of Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes. I can in the slightest perhaps understand with a lot of empathy that wasn't as good as you expected. But come on the most disappointing movie of 2017, no way

Just saw this last night and it was great! I love the use of music in the movie even if the syncing wasnt as strong in the second half. Enjoyed all the characters except Batz. Well I guess I enjoyed him because I was supposed to hate him. Overall though the action, music, and characters were pretty well done and it was a really fun movie.

as soon as they showed the iron rods I knew what was going on and was just waiting for him to get back in the car.

norm9

Gonna roll out the house in a few to check this out. Found some rolling papers in a drawer too so I'm excited.

Theecliff

Banned
Hamm seemed like the
terminator the way he kept coming back lmao
the fact that the film references friday the 13th and we discover that buddy's real name is jason v-something (i can't remember exactly what his second name was but it definitely started with a v) makes him repeatedly appearing out of nowhere to fuck with baby seem like an intentional nod to how a slasher film antagonist would function.

overcast

the fact that the film references friday the 13th and we discover that buddy's real name is jason v-something (i can't remember exactly what his second name was but it definitely started with a v) makes him repeatedly appearing out of nowhere to fuck with baby seem like an intentional nod to how a slasher film antagonist would function.
On top of that he's constantly given references to being like a bull who will fight to his last breath.

Prologue

Dragged on a little bit but I enjoyed it.

Male lead was awesome though. His acting was so.....fluid? Not sure if thats the word.

The one thing that crept into my mind thinking this was taking place current day, was that they would have been caught long time ago with the amount of people with taking videos or security photos from around the city. Also, is robbing banks even possible anymore, is there even value in doing it? Like I said though, just a tiny thought, I am totally fine with letting tiny stuff like that go. The movie was amazing!

Paganmoon

Just got back from watching this (Free advanced screening y'all! Releases in Sweden on the 26:th), and I enjoyed it quite a bit. though it sort of fell apart some in the last 15 minutes or so. Kevin Spacey's change in character was sort of out of nowhere.

And I have to add, having watched Every Frame a Painting, on Edgar Wright quite a few times, has given me more appreciation for his movies. There were quite a few moments in the movie where I went "riiiight, this is what Tony was talking about".
For instance, the scene change from Spacey's character asking Baby to get rid of the car, to where he's standing at the junkyard, and so on.

Also, for the Suicide Squad producers who might be reading this (I know you do!), this is how you use licensed music in a movie, with good effect. Watch and learn.

Tizoc

Just got back from it and it was fantastic. Great movie, great action and great scenes with Baby.
I did find the
criminals he drives for to be utterly lame and irritating, personality wise.
The movie does a great job of making you feel for Baby, and the action is pretty good

dmshaposv

The movie had a serious lack of visual jokes/puns like other edgar wright films. The reliance of jokes through dialogue made it feel less edgar wright's film and a little more studio controlled fare.

That said, the editing and the cutting beat to gunfire was awesome.

Its not as good as his other films for me, but it was a fun romp.

zsynqx

https://soundcloud.com/thedirectors...river-with-edgar-wright-and-christopher-nolan
Director Edgar Wright discusses his new film, Baby Driver, with fellow Director Christopher Nolan. The film tells the story of a young getaway driver named Baby who meets the girl of his dream. Hoping to leave his criminal life behind, he is coerced into one last getaway job. But when things go awry, all of his skills will be put to the test if he has any hope of survival.

Should be good, love these two.

I saw the movie tonight and I was disappointed unfortunately. Mostly by the tone of the movie... That was like Twilight with gangsters. I saw the french dubbed version and that didn't help at all. Oh my... That was super bad. I guess I expected too much... :-/

I saw the movie tonight and I was disappointed unfortunately. Mostly by the tone of the movie... That was like Twilight with gangsters. I saw the french dubbed version and that didn't help at all. Oh my... That was super bad. I guess I expected too much... :-/
"Twilight with gangsters"?

Top Bottom