• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baby Driver (dir. Edgar Wright) |OT| All You Need Is One Killer Track

Best movie I've seen this year. It's simultaneously the most Edgar Wright movie and least Edgar Wright movie.

Yeah this was as good as expected.

One downside.

The sound mix was iffy at times.

Everything else was Wright times a 100.

Will get the editing Oscar for sure.

I need to see a the film again, but I wondered about the sound mix too. Some songs were so low that I had difficulty hearing the beat to hear it sync like it did. Ah well. Small fault in a brilliant film.

I saw it in a theater with Dolby Atmos and everything was great from an audio perspective.

Skeeter49

Will watch it again later in the week, maybe next week instead, give it some time, but right now I think Baby Driver is my 2nd favorite Edgar Wright movie.

Everything about this movie is so good, and just like Hot Fuzz, this movie feels perfectly paced, maybe a few hiccups in the pacing.

People need to see this movie.

It's a great time and deserves to be seen on the big screen.

Man, it might be my favorite movie of the year.

The Editing is what makes this movie work, I still can't believe some of the shit they pull off in camera with the chase scene.

Yooo this movie kicked ass. I might have to buy the soundtrack, I was listening to it on Spotify on my way home. Do yourselves a favor and see this in theaters.

Magwik

Banned
Just got out
Everything is as great as it's hyped up to be
Then the last 15 minutes happen
It's still great, superb even, but man did I not like the last stretch of the film.

B33

Banned
Baby Driver is my favorite movie of the year! It's kinetic, earnest, and Edgar Wright's best work to date.

See it on the big screen.

Just got out
Everything is as great as it's hyped up to be
Then the last 15 minutes happen
It's still great, superb even, but man did I not like the last stretch of the film.

I'd go so far as to say that (for me) the entire last third of the film wasn't satisfying. Still, overall a great time at the movies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Wow they kept setting up these archetypes and then sliding left of the expected outcome. I felt a bit disoriented by it.

Of all possible universe to exist in, I will be forever grateful that I have the privilege to be in the one where Baby Driver was made.

It's one of the best movies I've ever seen.

Just got home after convincing my group to watch this over the Tupac biopic. Shockingly enough, it lived up to the hype. The soundtrack is great, incredible performances, great coregraphy, good action pieces, great humor. Man what a movie. Everyone in the group was saying how awesome the movie was as we left. Edgar Wright did it again.

This was such an amazing movie. I'm really in awe in how I feel about it. I really don't want to rank it compared to his other movies(hot fuzz my favorite) but I will say when I got done watching it I immediately wanted to buy another ticket and watch it right over again. It's just so well made and enjoyable

Skeeter49

I thought the last 20 or so minutes were fine.
I get the idea of it being lackluster.
Buddy dies, and then the next scene is them being caught instead of some badass chase,
but I feel like at that point were sacrificing story for another action set piece, and I liked that it ended with him choosing not to run away and to accept his mistakes, and to not get Debora involved any further. It doesn't bother me that he gets out eventually, or that a bunch of people defend him in court. It showed how the little things that separated him from the other heist members benefited him in the long run.

Really loved this movie

Logan is still my favorite of the year, and I think John Wick generally has it beat on setpieces (while being a worse movie, mind you), but dang this was a good flick. Non stop awesome

Jamie Foxx is an asshole in this, jesus christ

Jarmel

Banned
Just got out. Not totally in love with the film due to the third act. I was hoping/expecting some big chase scene and there wasn't. Kind of ended on a flat note.

ezekial45

Banned
Yeah, I felt the movie could've used one more chase sequence.

Regardless, I loved it. I had a hell of a time with the movie, and the theater I was in seemed to have loved it a lot too. I'm definitely down to see it again.

Had no idea this was showing tonight until I saw someone talking about it on twitter. Said fuck work and went to the 10:30 show. No regrets, loved everything about it.

Wasn't really expecting
to get Wild At Heart vibes

I dont get the hype, Stylistically, I loved it, but the plot was a mess and didn't care for the last 15 minutes of the movie, Ohhh hes back again and again!

This movie has a lot going for it and it was a lot of fun.
It lost steam for me near the middle and I was never really as hooked as I was during the opening scene. 7/10.

HiiiLife

Movies been more miss than hit this year. With John Wick 2 and Get Out being my absolute top 2. I can see this making my top 5 overall but I didn't leave the theatre feeling blown away like I did with JW or Get Out.

Fletcher

Yeah. While I enjoyed the energy of the film and liked it overall, it was by no means great and felt really weird. Like characters were all over the place and things didn't feel right.
Why would Spacey bring Baby back in just to let him leave? Why did baby not just call off the heist when he literally had an option to leave?
Jaime Foxx was great. There was really only one great chase scene. The first. Then kinda that wet noodle of a chase scene in the middle.

There were some weird ass deep cuts in this movie, Did not expect Debra by Beck or the intermission part from Modern Life is Rubbish

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I liked how this showed up for a split second. Heard someone giggle at that, so I at least know that person and I got the reference.

Pachimari

I'm worried with these impressions saying it isn't as good as Hot Fuzz, since I didn't think Hot Fuzz was a great movie per se, and behind At World's End and Scott Pilgrim. I also have Hot Fuzz a 3 out of 5, so I do hope Baby Driver is a better movie. And now reading the third act kind of falls flat. This is probably gonna be a decent movie to me.

It’s strange to me to read that the third act didn’t land with some people because that’s when I thought the movie really kicked it up. I felt it was incredibly strong

Monocle

The movie was dope as hell. I was pleasantly surprised by the simple but solid story, which situates the sequences of stylish abandon in a more grounded context. Baby has a life outside the driver's seat, and it's more important.

The characters are very archetypal, and some of their types are kinda halfheartedly subverted in the later acts. It's a bit jarring. I went along with it, because this is Baby's story and the world moves to his rhythm.

I love movies that achieve a perfect fusion of music and visuals. Kill Bill did it. Both Guardians of the Galaxy films did it. Baby Driver absolutely nails it.

Where you place Baby Driver in Wright's canon depends a lot on your personal sensibilities, I think. I liked it a lot. Much more than Shaun of the Dead, but then I'm not that into zombie movies. Same with Hot Fuzz, which I don't actually remember so well to be honest. Scott Pilgrim is still my #1, but I'd say Baby Driver is a strong runner up.

It has a classic quality. People will have no problem enjoying this movie in 20 years.

Vice

Yeah. While I enjoyed the energy of the film and liked it overall, it was by no means great and felt really weird. Like characters were all over the place and things didn't feel right.
Why would Spacey bring Baby back in just to let him leave? Why did baby not just call off the heist when he literally had an option to leave?
Jaime Foxx was great. There was really only one great chase scene. The first. Then kinda that wet noodle of a chase scene in the middle.
First question
He had some fondness for Baby. He let him go after everything went to shit. He was all over the news so a highly wanted getaway driver was probably no good.

Second question
to sneakout in the middle of the night while he knew everyone was asleep in the hideout. Bats had already seen Debora and he is a big unknown factor.

Skeeter49

If he called off the heist, everyone would be pissed at him. He just witnessed Bat's kill several people he wasn't suppose to kill. If Baby became a liability, Bats would kill him, and no one was going to stop Bats unless they killed Bats before Bats killed Baby. Baby also didn't want anyone else to die, even Bats, he only killed Bats when it was clear lives were on the line, including Deborah's, and his foster father. By saying to go on with the heist, everyone is happy until they find out he's gone, but by then his foster father is receiving care, and Deborah and Baby are gone.

The Foster Father was also another huge reason. He was trying to avoid them using his foster father as leverage. If he said no, Bat's might have gone to get the foster father and tortured him. There are too many risks to say no, especially with Bat's when anything could happen. One final one I'll bring up. Bats didn't care what Baby said. If Baby brought up a dissenting opinion, it would have been a bloodbath in there.

I'm worried with these impressions saying it isn't as good as Hot Fuzz, since I didn't think Hot Fuzz was a great movie per se, and behind At World's End and Scott Pilgrim. I also have Hot Fuzz a 3 out of 5, so I do hope Baby Driver is a better movie. And now reading the third act kind of falls flat. This is probably gonna be a decent movie to me.

Hot Fuzz is one of my favorite movies of all time, so that's where I come from saying it's up there with Hot Fuzz. They are completely different movies that I love for different reasons though, so I'm not sure if not being as big a fan of Hot Fuzz will dictate how much you like Baby Driver.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
It’s strange to me to read that the third act didn’t land with some people because that’s when I thought the movie really kicked it up. I felt it was incredibly strong

Same, act 3 was by far my favorite. The movie just kept getting better and better.

I can't believe I'm stuck waiting until my 11 year old gets back from vacation with her cousins.

This is what I get for introducing my kids to great filmmakers; they make me wait to see everything with them now.

I caught this last night and can't get it out of my head. It's fantastic.

As well directed and intense as the action is —
especially the foot chase after the Post Office robbery goes bad
— the quieter bits between Ansel Elgort and Lily James have so much heart.

Then kinda that wet noodle of a chase scene in the middle.

I thought the foot chase after the botched Post Office robbery was incredibly intense. Sure, it was on foot—but it had incredible rhythm. I felt legitimate tension and fear over how Baby was going to escape the situation he was in. I thought the direction and editing here shined.

Fletcher

If he called off the heist, everyone would be pissed at him. He just witnessed Bat's kill several people he wasn't suppose to kill. If Baby became a liability, Bats would kill him, and no one was going to stop Bats unless they killed Bats before Bats killed Baby. Baby also didn't want anyone else to die, even Bats, he only killed Bats when it was clear lives were on the line, including Deborah's, and his foster father. By saying to go on with the heist, everyone is happy until they find out he's gone, but by then his foster father is receiving care, and Deborah and Baby are gone.

The Foster Father was also another huge reason. He was trying to avoid them using his foster father as leverage. If he said no, Bat's might have gone to get the foster father and tortured him. There are too many risks to say no, especially with Bat's when anything could happen. One final one I'll bring up. Bats didn't care what Baby said. If Baby brought up a dissenting opinion, it would have been a bloodbath in there.

Second question
to sneakout in the middle of the night while he knew everyone was asleep in the hideout. Bats had already seen Debora and he is a big unknown factor.

But when his plan in both situations is to just run away what does it matter if he does it then or four hours later? He says it's off then he has to run, grab his girl and continue to run. He says it's on, sneaks out, grabs his girl, and continues to run. In either situation everyone is mad at him and looking for revenge. He only killed bats when he was completely trapped.

First question
He had some fondness for Baby. He let him go after everything went to shit. He was all over the news so a highly wanted getaway driver was probably no good.

Doc makes it a point to remind him with violent intimidation that he is a very bad and mean person, though. His character flip to 180 in the span of 24 hours, especially when his entire business empire was just destroyed by this dude, makes no sense to me.

Top Bottom