• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baby Park is Real (MK 8 DLC)

Blizzard

Banned
How many of you guys watching those videos wishing that brilliant talent and art was being put to use in something besides racing game tracks? Be honest.
I don't think that thought even occurred to me. Watching the musicians in the studio recording, I was actually thinking, "This is what it looks like when someone is doing what they love to do."

Maybe I'm mistaken though.

blamite

How many of you guys watching those videos wishing that brilliant talent and art was being put to use in something besides racing game tracks? Be honest.

Nah I'm totally fine with this all going toards the GOAT Mario Kart.

I do want the Mario Kart Band to do the music for everything ever, though.

Neiteio

Well, regardless of whether one is cynical and thinks they're just tossing a bone to F-Zero fans, or whether one is optimistic and thinks they have designs for a new F-Zero, one thing is for certain:

They're keeping F-Zero on the mind of the Mario Kart community. The increased mindshare could prove useful in the future if they ever decide to make another. Marketing and Hype 101.

DLC 4

Characters: Mona/Captain Syrup, Jimmy T, 9 Volt

giphy.gif

Birdo, Baby Bowser, Toadsworth, Professor E. Gadd, Kamek, Goomba, Koopa Paratroopa, Boo, Dry Bones...

I definitely agree about DK representatives. Diddy, Dixie, Cranky most definitely. Funky would be a nice returning one. K. Rool a must.

I want to see Banjo Kazooie in MK!

Mory Dunz

Well, regardless of whether one is cynical and thinks they're just tossing a bone to F-Zero fans, or whether one is optimistic and thinks they have designs for a new F-Zero, one thing is for certain:

They're keeping F-Zero on the mind of the Mario Kart community. The increased mindshare could prove useful in the future if they ever decide to make another. Marketing and Hype 101.

They probably won't do an F-Zero for Wii U imo.

It bombing on the U might not be a fair reflection of any potential it could have.

Releasing an F-zero on the next console, before a Mario Kart comes out, would paint the best picture.

I just like what I'm seeing here and want to play. Looks like you've already decided I'm lying though.

"Be honest", lol.

Neiteio

Can someone compile links in one post for all of the music recording session videos? I've just seen the one for Big Blue and Rin Rin Metro.

ShyMel

Ah, I'm so excited for Baby Park. Oddly enough while I played the GBA Mario Kart, I can't remember any of the tracks in it that much if at all.

Neiteio

Divide or no divide... Bowser Shell or no Bowser Shell... Baby Park in anti-gravity with anti-gravity boosts at 200cc is going to be fucking insane.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Neat, I saw someone on /v/ yesterday claim we were getting Big Blue, cool to see it...

Really like Cheese Land, that's one course I wanted to see in the game. The rest of the courses look really neat, too. I really wish we got a cool 3D World-inspired level though...

Brofield

Nintendo needs to get these guys together for a MK8 concert.

I would fly to Japan just to hear them play their own original music. It would be an absolute waste if these guys weren't already in their own bands, because their talents are nothing short of extraordinary.

But wasn't there a Mario Kart 8 soundtrack released not too long ago?

Azure J

Add the bolded to your list of tracks and we are in for something awesome :D!

Saw the videos for all the tracks and man....they look amazing :'). The GBA tracks look so alive and different and the 3DS stages (Neo Bowser City) looks amazing. The new courses look like an utter blast and the soundtrack for the new tracks is just killer!

Dat Forest track theme :D! Dat Big Blue Theme XD!!!! Nintendo does it again :).

Jesus, a 6 Golden Coins level would be the trippiest stuff. Just racing around Mario's Island/the over world alone would be good enough.

Heck yeah!!!

Just realized, I don't think I have you on my friendlist.

NNID: AzureJay89

Birdo, Baby Bowser, Toadsworth, Professor E. Gadd, Kamek, Goomba, Koopa Paratroopa, Boo, Dry Bones...

I definitely agree about DK representatives. Diddy, Dixie, Cranky most definitely. Funky would be a nice returning one. K. Rool a must.

I want to see Banjo Kazooie in MK!

Play more Wario games!

Davey Cakes

I got to be honest though, what the hell at the retro track selection. The abysmal Neo Bowser City and the non-track Baby Park, followed by two GBA tracks? They look awesome and all and I don't mind giving tracks a second chance, but a MK track selection almost couldn't get more mediocre than that. If you gave me that tracklist without the awesome looking gameplay footage, that dlc would've been a big nope.gif.
Maybe the point is exactly that; to take courses that could be seen as mediocre and make them better.

I feel like MK8 in general is a good vehicle for "second chances." Since a lot of the better retro courses have already been used in previous games, Nintendo now has to be a bit more creative with the less-obvious choices. Playing is believing, too, since in the case of SNES and GBA tracks especially, they're pretty much ALL made better by being in MK8.

Not all tracks win out (I think Music Park from MK7 is middle tier at best and this wasn't fixed in MK8), but it's always worth a shot.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I don't see any Lil' Mousers in Cheese Land though, that sucks...

Or even using those new mouse enemies from 3D World instead. :/

RagnarokX

Man. That looks like 7 absolutely amazing tracks... and Baby Park. A simple loop is too boring and they took away the ability for items to cross the center.

Really looking forward to Big Blue and Ribbon Road. Both tracks look fantastic, and I especially can't wait to race on the former track at 200cc.

Neiteio

Maybe the point is exactly that; to take courses that could be seen as mediocre and make them better.

I feel like MK8 in general is a good vehicle for "second chances." Since a lot of the better retro courses have already been used in previous games, Nintendo now has to be a bit more creative with the less-obvious choices. Playing is believing, too, since in the case of SNES and GBA tracks especially, they're pretty much ALL made better by being in MK8.

Not all tracks win out (I think Music Park from MK7 is middle tier at best and this wasn't fixed in MK8), but it's always worth a shot.
Quoted for truth.

MARIO KART 8 REDEEMS ALL.

I don't see any Lil' Mousers in Cheese Land though, that sucks...

Or even using those new mouse enemies from 3D World instead. :/
From a gameplay perspective, the Chain Chomps are an improvement. I like how you can even see one snapping upwards at the gliders in the air.

Man. That looks like 7 absolutely amazing tracks... and Baby Park. A simple loop is too boring and they took away the ability for items to cross the center.
Anti-gravity boosts and 200cc will make Baby Park fresh again. :)

Azure J

Seriously. They put gba mario circuit to shame. Man what could have been in gba bowser castle 4 made it in.

GBA Bowser's Castle 4, Lakeside Park and Rainbow Road are my secret holy grails now that we got the seemingly impossible combo of both Cheese Land and Ribbon Road.

Holy fuck, how did they manage to pick two of Super Circuit's GoATs?

Davey Cakes

You won't know what Baby Park is like to PLAY until you...play it. Just because it's a retro track doesn't mean it'll be exactly the same.

Could be better than expected. I think it'll easily surpass the worst track in DLC Pack 1 (Excite Bike Arena).

Plus, I'm curious about that track on 200CC.

Neiteio

Holy fuck, how did they manage to pick two of Super Circuit's GoATs?
I'm also super-impressed by this. Super Circuit had some incredibly creative settings for tracks, with Ribbon Road and Cheese Land being among the best.

To see them both in Mario Kart 8 is just incredible.

Davey Cakes

I'm also super-impressed by this. Super Circuit had some incredibly creative settings for tracks, with Ribbon Road and Cheese Land being among the best. To see them in Mario Kart 8 is just incredible.
I'll agree with this too. Didn't realize how much I wanted "upgraded" GBA course until MK8.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I've got a feeling they aren't done supporting this game with DLC. I wouldn't be surprised to see two more packs like this announced at E3.

Azuran

Banned
I can't believe there's people shitting on Baby Park.

Well, you guys have never play that with 12-players on GAFcc so I don't know what the bitching is all about. Fuck Bowser Shells when we have that.

Neiteio

Also, the end of the overview trailer confirms which courses are in which cups:

Crossing Cup:

- GCN Baby Park
- GBA Cheese Land
- Animal Crossing
- Nature Path

Bell Cup:

- 3DS Neo Bowser City
- GBA Ribbon Road
- Rin Rin Metro
- Big Blue

Vena

I've got a feeling they aren't done supporting this game with DLC. I wouldn't be surprised to see two more packs like this announced at E3.

I think they basically sold over a million or two extra DLC purchases for the game, so why would they stop? Why would we want them to stop?

random25

Looks like the first DLC packs are commercially successful. Would really be happy for another pair of DLC packs. Maybe they can add more themes from other Nintendo games as well.

Top Bottom