• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bad Blu-ray transfers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melon Husk

3D version had an all new 4K transfer, much much better.

Fortunately 3D TVs can convert 3D to 2D.

However, 3D still got some DNR. Spielberg made a similar remaster of Raiders but it had no DNR, the reason obviously being film grain doesn't play nice in 3D. Universal ought to release a 2D remaster this fall.

Mr. Sam

Oh, and Gangs of New York looks like absolute fucking shit but I never liked the movie that much so I can live with it.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Can we get a thread about GOOD bluray transfers? Unless there is one already?

I may actually own one of the original Bluray releases of the EE. I was watching battle for Helm's Deep and the background felt...funny.

There's only one release of the EEs and the color in The Two Towers is the same as it always has been on video.

DJ_Lae

3rd vote for Gladiator. Just terrible.

I agree.

I have what I think it supposed to be the revised version, but it looks like ass.

Can we get a thread about GOOD bluray transfers? Unless there is one already?

A lot of Pixar's stuff is gorgeous, but as far as live action goes Oblivion is one of the best looking (and sounding) movies I own.

I imagine the bitrate is quite high in addition to the transfer being gorgeous as well (or was it digital?).

What? Say what you will about the movie itself, but the BD was reference quality during its release.

I think he's talking about the animated film from '86?

That wasn't a particularly good looking movie in the first place. Wouldn't be surprised if the transfer was botched on top of that.

edit: went to blu-ray.com, looks like there are Australian and UK releases, both of them on single sided 25 gig discs, encoded in mpeg-2. It's probably those.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Transformers the movie looks absolutely terrible, easily the worst looking Blu-ray I own.

The Secret of Nimh looks like someone fished a release print that had really been around the track out of a dumpster, stored it in their garage and then did a subpar scan of it.
I still prefer it to some of the B-tier Disney stuff I've seen.

Maybe this is me swallowing bullshit but apparently that's how the film looks and has always looked. Danny Boyle was apparently going for a rugged, CCTV style image for the film, hence the supposed poor quality. You'll notice the last few scenes, i.e. the epilogue, are shot differently and look much better quality.

He shot it on consumer DV-cameras because that meant they could film very quickly. That way, they could use multiple cameras at once for the fraction at the cost, all so they could do those scenes with the streets empty. If they'd shot those scenes with regular cameras, they'd have to shoot for a much longer period of time, which would've been costly as fuck.

There's a great segment about it on Side By Side (an excellent documentary about film and digital video).

berzeli

Banned
Earlier I forgot to mention how much I hate the original Le Samouraï transfer, please allow me to rectify my mistake; Look upon this fucking abomination and despair.
Bi0b.png
There also exists a "fixed" transfer but it too is pretty botched.

DJ_Lae

Earlier I forgot to mention how much I hate the original Le Samouraï transfer, please allow me to rectify my mistake; Look upon this fucking abomination and despair.

How does someone decide that it's a good idea to do that to a movie? I don't even know what they were trying to accomplish with that, it's somehow even worse than the Predator comparison earlier.

berzeli

Banned
How does someone decide that it's a good idea to do that to a movie? I don't even know what they were trying to accomplish with that, it's somehow even worse than the Predator comparison earlier.

I wish I knew.

DNR actually has its use, and people who are fanatically opposed to it usually don't understand how and why it is used. But when things get all impressionistic watercolour I have to wonder if the people doing the work even have eyes.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
I think he's talking about the animated film from '86?

That wasn't a particularly good looking movie in the first place. Wouldn't be surprised if the transfer was botched on top of that.

edit: went to blu-ray.com, looks like there are Australian and UK releases, both of them on single sided 25 gig discs, encoded in mpeg-2. It's probably those.
Oh...well, I haven't heard that many bad things about them. Probably more to do with age than any digital tampering in that case.

I was wondering why they'd bother tampering with the image in the 35mm scenes but not the 70mm ones! Wouldn't the insane edge enhancement look even worse when blown up to IMAX screen sizes though? Bizarre.
It differs per film. The Dark Knight Rises for instance still looked good in its 35mm sections. IMAX conversions look good on the big screen, but at a smaller scale on TV's the edge enhancement becomes a lot more distracting.

DNR and edge enhancements are hardly the biggest issues of TDK's transfer though.
dr_3.jpg

Ridley327

There also exists a "fixed" transfer but it too is pretty botched.

Jesus Christ. Criterion, save us.

Is that how the scene looks on the DVD, too? Sometimes color grading changes from trailer to actual film. I'm not sure which of the two is actually representative of how it looked in the theater.

Ridley327

Criterion fucked up Le Cercle rouge, I have no faith in them when it comes to Melville.

There's a really big difference between color timing differences and applying a watercolor filter on every frame of the film in Photoshop. Besides, I don't think there's ever been much of any uproar over whatever HD master Criterion had for the DVD.

berzeli

Banned
There's a really big difference between color timing differences and applying a watercolor filter on every frame of the film in Photoshop. Besides, I don't think there's ever been much of any uproar over whatever HD master Criterion had for the DVD.

True. I just found it a bit funny to ask for Criterion's saving when one of their notable failures is by the same director. (and a failure they've fessed up to; "Even with a reference print on Le cercle rouge, we may have gone a little too far with saturation.")

Eh, it's competent enough, colour timing aside, and has the Criterion name on it which is why there haven't been an uproar. But if you go on boards like criterionforum people have been complaining about the colours since the DVD release.

I personally like stuff to look cleaner, waxy or not. Y'all cray-cray, imo. The Predator shot of Arnie in the '10 remaster is ideal for me.

Ridley327

True. I just found it a bit funny to ask for Criterion's saving when one of their notable failures is by the same director. (and a failure they've fessed up to; "Even with a reference print on Le cercle rouge, we may have gone a little too far with saturation.")

Eh, it's competent enough, colour timing aside, and has the Criterion name on it which is why there haven't been an uproar. But if you go on boards like criterionforum people have been complaining about the colours since the DVD release.

We'll find out soon enough, since the iTunes version of Le samourai is going up on July 14. Definitely not going to be reference quality in terms of bitrate, but it will certainly give us a baseline for everything else.

berzeli

Banned
We'll find out soon enough, since the iTunes version of Le samourai is going up on July 14. Definitely not going to be reference quality in terms of bitrate, but it will certainly give us a baseline for everything else.

Oh, has it been confirmed that the iTunes digital thing 1) Is actually getting released 2) is based on a different master? 3) Is getting released by Criterion?

Sorry to ask, but I'm out of the loop a bit since I've kind of stopped listening to rumours about Criterion since the last time people got overexcited over a couple of Amazon listings and whether they meant that Criterion got the Studiocanal license back or not (they hadn't and nothing came of those listings).

TAJ

I personally like stuff to look cleaner, waxy or not. Y'all cray-cray, imo. The Predator shot of Arnie in the '10 remaster is ideal for me.

Get a projector and intentionally make it out of focus. Boom, every movie nice and noise-free.
Or just use a home theater PC to filter the shit out of everything.

The blu ray sets of Dragonball Z( the second release) look pretty bad. So many washed out colors and its in 16:9.. <_< Seriously they need to just leave it alone in their original format like they're doing with cowboy bebop and now the original Fullmetal Alchemist on Bluray.

JLynn

The English dub of The Legend of Drunken Master is superior. I love the voice actress they used for his mom.

The voice of the mom is the late Anita Mui, who actually played the mom.

In terms of the classic HK movies either you get the heavily edited yet true HD transfers of the US releases or you can get the uncut HK versions which are upscaled. Many cases you might as well say fuck it and get the HK DVDs.

In that shot, I think the UHE does look better, even if he looks a little like a creepy wax figure. everything else looks better

Staaaahp pls

You're letting the removal/smoothing of grain fool you, maybe attaching that modern ultra clear digital perspective on it. It looks terrible. The original texture is part of its aesthetic.

Ridley327

Oh, has it been confirmed that the iTunes digital thing 1) Is actually getting released 2) is based on a different master? 3) Is getting released by Criterion?

Sorry to ask, but I'm out of the loop a bit since I've kind of stopped listening to rumours about Criterion since the last time people got overexcited over a couple of Amazon listings and whether they meant that Criterion got the Studiocanal license back or not (they hadn't and nothing came of those listings).

Yep.

FWIW, they based their original transfer off the original negative and the positive, so they have access to the most important materials out there.

The blu ray sets of Dragonball Z( the second release) look pretty bad. So many washed out colors and its in 16:9.. <_< Seriously they need to just leave it alone in their original format like they're doing with cowboy bebop and now the original Fullmetal Alchemist on Bluray.
we probably wont see original dbz in a true hd release until toei animation decides to do a remaster of dbz themselves , until then, if you want dbz in true hd, you need to get the kai blurays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom