• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bad games with redeeming qualities

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Gollum.

Some of the art direction and level design are phenomenal. The dungeons beneath Barad Dur and a really good example of that. It truly feels enormous and parts of it almost seem organic or fleshy like how much mentioned in some descriptions that the tower is Sauron's body.

Red Dead Redemption 2.

If you took away the great writing, story, music and shiny graphics and (unnecessary, mastubatory, and time wasting) animations and attention to detail, NO BO DY, would care about it.

It's the worst game I ever played, and I played Devil May Cry 2.

And it's only high regarded for those aforementioned things. By stuffy nosed "The Last of Us is the greatest game ever made" IQ level people that could care less about video games, or by people that simply appreciate games for other reasons then I do, which is obviously fine.

Anyway, RDR 2 is a zero for me. But the great writing and characters, definitely redeems it to some more then a zero. A really great movie.
Well said and I get what you're saying and kind of agree. But this is kind of like saying, "If she only had a nose, people wouldn't think she was beautiful." It's the sum of its parts that makes it great, and you can't really separate them from each other because it's a package deal.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Ok funny that I played it last fall and have a completely opposite opinion than you lol I loved the game to the point I think it's my favorite FF, with all of its development issues and inconsistencies, idc. But the Chocobo music... Man why have one of the greatest overworld music ever just to shut it down when you're mounting a Chocobo so that dumb circus music can play? Really bothered me lol
The chocobo music distracted me from the rest of the game :lollipop_squinting:

TNT Sheep

Cel Damage. Be it the original or the Overdrive version, though I think the original is the better game. As a single player game I can understand it being a lacking experience especially for the price at release. Playing multiplayer though? There are few games where I have had more fun with 4 people.

Too bad the later HD ports never got an online mode. Would have been a blast.

Stafford

I would say Risen 2. If that's the one with the pirate setting. A lot of bad shit in that game but the atmosphere, location made it worth it.

That goes for many of this developer's games. Several gameplay features that aren't great remain unchanged with each games, but certain things did keep me invested in the games.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Watch Dogs Legion

They spent a lot of time crafting that world. But everything else is blah.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Oh yes. Really badly tuned difficulty, easily abusable health kits. Bad reused boss fights too.

Damn I nearly got the whole alphabet in that game but only the reused bosses could I even see as a critique.

How was the difficulty badly tuned?
You were over/underleveled or something?

The gameplay was great in that game.
Im actually tempted to reinstall the game just to go to the arena.

hyperbertha

Damn I nearly got the whole alphabet in that game but only the reused bosses could I even see as a critique.

How was the difficulty badly tuned?
You were over/underleveled or something?

The gameplay was great in that game.
Im actually tempted to reinstall the game just to go to the arena.
Health system was too lenient to the point there was no challenge. Just buy 99 health kits before each mission.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I wont call it a bad game, it's actually a very good game made great by it soundtrack:

Deus Ex Human Revolution.

Michael McCann's soundtrack made that game an all time for me. If they finally do a sequel and someone like Sony picks up the franchise (Sorry Xbox fans MS doesn't deserve it) they MUST bring back McCann.

Deus_Ex_Human_Revolution_cover.jpg

Last edited:

iHaunter

I disagree that they couldn’t have optimized Bloodborne better than they did. There were plenty of games with more detailed, and more open world areas that ran much better than Bloodborne. For a game that requires accurate split second movement, I personally would have liked them to sacrifice somewhere else. But I do get that they had to sacrifice due to the hardware. I’m by no means calling the game bad overall, but for me that ruined the whole experience. Also, this is the main reason I’m holding out hope for a remaster or remake.
I doubt it was an optimization issue. More of an engine limitation.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Mass Effect Andromeda. Had pretty decent gameplay and mechanics. I liked the game quite a bit a actually. It also had some horrificly annoying issues that took it down quite a few notches for me.

Raven117

I wont call it a bad game, it's actually a very good game made great by it soundtrack:

Deus Ex Human Revolution.

Michael McCann's soundtrack made that game an all time for me. If they finally do a sequel and someone like Sony picks up the franchise (Sorry Xbox fans MS doesn't deserve it) they MUST bring back McCann.

Deus_Ex_Human_Revolution_cover.jpg
Often, absolutely banging soundtracks are stranded on "okay" games. This being a prime example.

Far Cry 5 had a god-tier soundtrack. Game was alright.

Koenigssee

Ace Combat 3 Electrosphere (JP). Not that good by today's standards yet in term of music and story it still holds up really well.

Top Bottom