• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bad shots in movies that somehow made the final cut

Status
Not open for further replies.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Is there ever a shot, or a staging (not necessarily a special effect) where you just can't figure out how it made it's way past editors?

For example, the Matrix when Trinity is being chased on the rooftop (ignore the music and don't watch if you want a part of the movie ruined forever :p ):

http://youtu.be/sGWWV0NMY3U?t=34s

The city backdrop is so obviously a photo that it's mind boggling that it's in there. It happens again at :54 and always distracts the crap out of me.

So what are some shots in movies that seem completely wrong to you?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
The Go-Pro shots in Desolation of Smaug.

lets just get this out the way right now

talia_dies.gif

Those weird handheld shots during the barrel ride in Hobbit 2. How the hell did they sneak in? Someone film those with the phone?

This is now the barrel scene in The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug OT

GODDAMN GOPRO

Edit: Beaten like someone in a race wearing an action camera on their helmet

Is there ever a shot, or a staging (not necessarily a special effect) where you just can't figure out how it made it's way past editors?

For example, the Matrix when Trinity is being chased on the rooftop (ignore the music and don't watch if you want a part of the movie ruined forever :p ):

The city backdrop is so obviously a photo that it's mind boggling that it's in there. It happens again at :54 and always distracts the crap out of me.

Funny I always liked that scene for that exact reason.

Dead Man

So obvious I never noticed until you pointed it out ;)

Anustart

Can't find clips, but...

American Ninja 2: They used a stunt double for 2 people just leaving an office.

Enemy at the Gates: There's a bad edit where people just completely jump around.

zma1013

Not really a good example there as The Matrix always seemed to be portrayed as this sort of slightly off and fake existence of a world. Everything from the green tint to the odd people to the weird occurrences. I would almost guess that the scene may have even been purposely done that way to help further foreshadow that the world isn't real.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Transformers 1

the first scene where Blackout(helicopter robot) transformed for the first time. Terrible multi shot confusing editing..

You're missing the real disaster in that scene, how she jumps. That is not how human being jump. She just takes off like a rocket exploded from her ass, no real bend in the knees or visual evidence of propulsion. Her landing is dumb too.
I've hated the jump from the 1st moment I saw it.

Spider-Man 1 had similar problems with the way it animated Spidey, it was like there was no weight in his body, just a doll being thrown about.

UraMallas

You're missing the real disaster in that scene, how she jumps. That is not how human being jump. She just takes off like a rocket exploded from her ass, no real bend in the knees or visual evidence of propulsion. Her landing is dumb too.

Spider-Man 1 had similar problems with the way it animated Spidey, it was like there was no weight in his body, just a doll being thrown about.

You have a point with Spiderman but I have no idea how you could be serious about The Matrix unless you don't know the premise.

What the hell is up with the dubbed voices?

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Blade Runner

I know the movie had a troubled production, and I'm glad they fixed this for the final cut, but man, this was always so jarring to see, especially after Roy's speech. Like, this was really the best they could do for that moment?

Burt

You think that's air you're breathing bro?

Dorrin

Return of the Jedi. There is this really awkward shot of Han sort of starting to get up right after they blow up the shield generator, its just a couple of seconds but always seems so off to me.

There are Go-pro shots in DoS? (Haven't seen it yet) What?
Definitely not. It's the way it was shot that makes it look similar to a GoPro.
Even if it isn't actually a Gopro It literally looks identical to one of those Gopro helmet youtube videos. If I strapped a gopro on my head and jumped into a river it would look exactly like the shots in the movie. So it doesn't really matter if it was a different kind of camera. It was really dumb.

In Aliens, when Newt slides towards the air-lock, the cut-in-half Bishop reaches a little too far to grab her, revealing a hole in the floor. I noticed this at age 12 and have no idea how it made the final cut. Not the best of pics, but you'll remember the scene...

YRG2rcJ.jpg

Fiftyeight

Neo Member
Whats wrong with it?

Whats up with the Talia scene btw? I dont get it

It certainly didn't ruin the movie for me, personally, but I can see everyone's gripes with it.

It's pretty much acted out in the same fashion myself or any of my friends would perform our imaginary deaths as a child.

Jado

Banned

And did you stand up during the rooftop scene and shout "That's not how people dodge bullets, Neo!"?

Geez.

zma1013

I dunno, the entire movie had stuff like that because they were doing inhuman things in a fake world. At first I was like, well that's odd looking, but after seeing the movie in it's entirety it wasn't an issue because it fit with all the other crazy physics violations happening.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
It certainly didn't ruin the movie for me, personally, but I can see everyone's gripes with it.

It's pretty much acted out in the same fashion myself or any of my friends would perform our imaginary deaths as a child.

Oh..

Well thats because she is a terrible actress

You have a point with Spiderman but I have no idea how you could be serious about The Matrix unless you don't know the premise.

You think that's air you're breathing bro?

And did you stand up during the rooftop scene and shout "That's not how people dodge bullets, Neo!"?

Geez.

I dunno, the entire movie had stuff like that because they were doing inhuman things in a fake world. At first I was like, well that's odd looking, but after seeing the movie in it's entirety it wasn't an issue because it fit with all the other crazy physics violations happening.

lol, I know they're in the Matrix....but Morpheus said there were rules. You can't break the rules, only bend them. That jump is some Neo type stuff, not normal hacker hijinx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom